Author Topic: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!  (Read 64148 times)

Offline Kram

Re: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!
« Reply #525 on: November 30, 2022, 11:51:10 AM »
I have to admit that when he was talking about how young fans are more about songs now and don't really have artists they are active fans of, I did think, "Well, there is this young woman named Taylor Swift..." :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

By and large, though, I think he is right, but there are always exceptions. 

Funny too as he made a point I did to a friend a while back, albeit in a slightly different way.  Mine was that 5.1 doesn't always work well because sometimes it's the way the instruments and vocals all sound together that create the magic, rather than there being too much separation between them and isolating one of them too much, similar to how you wouldn't like individual ingredients from certain meals on their own, but when mixed all together, it can make for a delicious meal.
Or Billie Eilish.  But they're definitely the exception.  This 52 year old agrees with most of what the 55 year old SW is saying LOL

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #526 on: November 30, 2022, 12:05:38 PM »
I have to admit that when he was talking about how young fans are more about songs now and don't really have artists they are active fans of, I did think, "Well, there is this young woman named Taylor Swift..." :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:
Or Billie Eilish.  But they're definitely the exception.

It's hard to agree that young people don't form fanbases for music any more when I see BTS trending every single fucking day on Twitter.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #527 on: November 30, 2022, 05:45:05 PM »
I am with you guys about the surround sound thing.  I finally got the super duper one I always wanted last year, but I rarely have the urge to put on one of my 5.1s and sit down with it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #528 on: November 30, 2022, 06:12:19 PM »
I am with you guys about the surround sound thing.  I finally got the super duper one I always wanted last year, but I rarely have the urge to put on one of my 5.1s and sit down with it.

I hear this on one side, but here is the other. One of the reasons I love Steven Wilson is because when I want to have an amazing audio experience, it's his work that I almost always reach for and put on in my system. If an artist has great 5.1 stuff I'm far more likely to listen to that artist's work.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #529 on: November 30, 2022, 06:16:38 PM »

I hear this on one side, but here is the other. One of the reasons I love Steven Wilson is because when I want to have an amazing audio experience, it's his work that I almost always reach for and put on in my system. If an artist has great 5.1 stuff I'm far more likely to listen to that artist's work.

Agreed. I rarely get the opportunity to experience my 5.1 stuff, but when I do, I reach for the stuff that is mixed extremely well. And almost anything SW has touched qualifies.

I have some pieces that are very poor surround mixes, and I doubt I will ever reach for those again. Systematic Chaos is a good example
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: December 01, 2022, 08:34:16 AM »

Agreed. I rarely get the opportunity to experience my 5.1 stuff, but when I do, I reach for the stuff that is mixed extremely well. And almost anything SW has touched qualifies.

I have some pieces that are very poor surround mixes, and I doubt I will ever reach for those again. Systematic Chaos is a good example

I have a 5.1 system in my basement, but I think Systematic Chaos is the only 5.1 album I have and I can't remember the last time I listened to it on the 5.1, likely the day I received it and I didn't think it sounded anything special.  I never bought another 5.1 album.  I do however have plenty of live concert videos mixed in 5.1 that I enjoy.  I guess my point is, now that I see it written out, I wonder if SC ruined my experience on 5.1 albums because it just wasn't mixed well enough for it. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #531 on: December 01, 2022, 09:17:31 AM »

I have a 5.1 system in my basement, but I think Systematic Chaos is the only 5.1 album I have and I can't remember the last time I listened to it on the 5.1, likely the day I received it and I didn't think it sounded anything special.  I never bought another 5.1 album.  I do however have plenty of live concert videos mixed in 5.1 that I enjoy.  I guess my point is, now that I see it written out, I wonder if SC ruined my experience on 5.1 albums because it just wasn't mixed well enough for it. 

And when it comes to the opposite end of the spectrum, I would love to one day be at those theaters in London Steven mentioned as he debuted one of his new recordings, would be an amazing experience I'm sure.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: December 01, 2022, 10:03:41 AM »
My only issue is I wonder if my ears are good enough to truly enjoy such high quality immersive sound.  I feel like I may not be able to appreciate such things. (it's a big reason why I don't spend big money on speakers or headphones and usually just get mid range hardware)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #533 on: December 01, 2022, 10:22:06 AM »
My only issue is I wonder if my ears are good enough to truly enjoy such high quality immersive sound.  I feel like I may not be able to appreciate such things. (it's a big reason why I don't spend big money on speakers or headphones and usually just get mid range hardware)

With a good system it's not just about the higher quality audio files. It's about the split and the mix. You don't have sound coming from left and right. You have sounds separated out and coming from every direction. It allows you to hear and appreciate things in the music you probably would never have noticed otherwise.

Offline HOF

« Reply #534 on: December 01, 2022, 10:29:52 AM »
I was listening to something on Amazon Music that was mixed for Atmos the other day on headphones. I know it’s not the same thing as with a proper surround setup, but the difference in the blend of instruments was jarring. I didn’t really care for it as it seemed to take some of the fullness out of the sound. While I think the concept is interesting, most of the time we don’t hear sounds in an immersive surround way with things coming from all directions, so I think it’s always going to feel a little bit gimmicky (like 3D movies).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #535 on: December 01, 2022, 10:33:46 AM »
I was listening to something on Amazon Music that was mixed for Atmos the other day on headphones. I know it’s not the same thing as with a proper surround setup, but the difference in the blend of instruments was jarring. I didn’t really care for it as it seemed to take some of the fullness out of the sound. While I think the concept is interesting, most of the time we don’t hear sounds in an immersive surround way with things coming from all directions, so I think it’s always going to feel a little bit gimmicky (like 3D movies).

I can see the gimmicky side of it, especially in how certain things are mixed, but at the end of the day I love that. Mainly because it allows me to really pick out a groove or an instrument I'm really liking in that moment and just focus on that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #536 on: December 02, 2022, 06:22:23 AM »

I hear this.  On the rare occasions when I do crank up the 5.1, it is either a PT/SW album or one where he did the 5.1, like the Yes ones from the early 70s.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #537 on: December 17, 2022, 06:37:08 AM »
Doing fresh listens of Insurgentes the last few days, and I always come with realizing how good it is and wondering why I don't listen to it more often.  The next four solo albums he did all being better is probably a big reason (hello to Zantera, who I know will be by to dispute that :P), but Insurgentes really is a damn good record.

Offline DTA

« Reply #538 on: December 17, 2022, 07:01:59 AM »
Doing fresh listens of Insurgentes the last few days, and I always come with realizing how good it is and wondering why I don't listen to it more often.  The next four solo albums he did all being better is probably a big reason (hello to Zantera, who I know will be by to dispute that :P), but Insurgentes really is a damn good record.

I'd rank Insurgentes higher than both GfD and the Raven as I'm way more into a post-punk sound than an old school prog sound. Salvaging is one of my all time favorites of his solo songs, and the whole album has a really unique vibe that I just connect with.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #539 on: December 17, 2022, 07:14:32 AM »
I go back and forth between Insurgentes or GFD as his best solo album but GFD does have some filler (even if I love it) and Insurgentes just feels like the most 'fresh' out of his solo albums. It feels like a bunch of his styles coming together into one unique album. He's definitely gotten worse album by album after Grace IMO and I hope his next one is good but I really don't have much desire to revisit HCE, TTB or TFB these days.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #540 on: December 17, 2022, 10:58:19 AM »
I am a MASSIVE fan of Grace for Drowning. I think it's one of the five best albums SW has ever done, from any project.

What's wild about Insurgentes is that it feels like the one SW solo album that could have been a PT album. Heck, Gavin Harrison even plays on most of it.  But it still really doesn't sound that much like Porcupine Tree.  The secret sauce that is Richard Barbieri being absent always makes a big difference in differentiating between Porcupine Tree and any other thing Wilson does, IMO.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #541 on: December 17, 2022, 11:03:26 AM »
What's wild about Insurgentes is that it feels like the one SW solo album that could have been a PT album. Heck, Gavin Harrison even plays on most of it.  But it still really doesn't sound that much like Porcupine Tree.  The secret sauce that is Richard Barbieri being absent always makes a big difference in differentiating between Porcupine Tree and any other thing Wilson does, IMO.

This is pretty much why I'm not that into it either. It doesn't stand out from PT as much as his other albums, and without the G.O.A.T. Barbieri it just feels like something's missing.

No Twilight Within The Courts Of The Sun is a fuckin' banger though.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #542 on: December 17, 2022, 12:02:38 PM »
I am a MASSIVE fan of Grace for Drowning. I think it's one of the five best albums SW has ever done, from any project.
This, it's such a weird yet delicate album, noisy and beautiful. Rudess' playing on it is just magnificent.

Offline Kram

« Reply #543 on: December 17, 2022, 12:17:43 PM »
Insurgentes is a great album!  Actually all his solo albums are great for me except The Future Bites - which was just kinda ok.  Based on his description of the The Harmony Codex I'm quite excited for it.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #544 on: February 25, 2023, 07:10:15 AM »
The Raven That Refused to Sing is 10 years old today.

Offline Kram

« Reply #545 on: February 25, 2023, 10:09:45 AM »
Still one of my favorite albums of all time really..

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #546 on: February 25, 2023, 02:24:40 PM »
Wow, a decade since Drive Home floored me.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: May 03, 2023, 11:23:06 PM »
Looks like The Harmony Codex will be released in September. There was a leak somewhere that I haven't personally seen but that's apparently what it points to.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: May 04, 2023, 06:08:05 AM »

Hands down the best SW solo album. Can't believe it's been ten years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #549 on: May 04, 2023, 06:15:52 AM »
I can't remember where I read it, but Wilson apparently wasn't thrilled about the slow rollouts with both The Future Bites and Closure/Continuation, so I won't be surprised if this album drops with no songs having been released prior (or maybe one a week or two before).  This idea of a slow rollout with a few singles slowly dropping before the album hits the streets feels outdated.  While I am sure the divisiveness of The Futures Bites will result in some fans of his solo work taking the "try before I buy" method, Wilson has enough equity built up to where he doesn't need to drop pre-release singles.

Online faizoff

« Reply #551 on: June 29, 2023, 08:25:49 PM »
What the hell, when I try to sign up it says your entry has been flagged as spam.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #552 on: July 14, 2023, 10:24:43 AM »
The Harmony Codex Listening Party clip (no music) with comments from attendees.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CurqxZ5oDsC/

Offline HOF

« Reply #553 on: July 14, 2023, 10:42:11 AM »
I can't remember where I read it, but Wilson apparently wasn't thrilled about the slow rollouts with both The Future Bites and Closure/Continuation, so I won't be surprised if this album drops with no songs having been released prior (or maybe one a week or two before).  This idea of a slow rollout with a few singles slowly dropping before the album hits the streets feels outdated.  While I am sure the divisiveness of The Futures Bites will result in some fans of his solo work taking the "try before I buy" method, Wilson has enough equity built up to where he doesn't need to drop pre-release singles.

I remember how absolutely closed lipped DT used to be about their releases, not wanting a single note heard before release day. It definitely built up a certain amount of anticipation and mystery surrounding their albums.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: July 14, 2023, 10:47:33 AM »

I was never a fan of the way SW handled his releases, it feels like 20 different versions with different bonus songs on those various versions. Coming soon Harmony Codex black vinyl/yellow swirl edition which contains a new unreleased track that's a remix of an unmix of an unreleased track that was previously released on the limited blue cassette version of Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #555 on: July 14, 2023, 11:05:50 AM »
That stuff can be irritating, I agree, but in the end, it's all about the tunes.  :hat :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #556 on: July 14, 2023, 11:13:49 AM »
It's the single released 8 months before the album release date that irks me.  It kills momentum.  Release the 1st single a month before the album release date. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #557 on: July 14, 2023, 11:52:43 AM »
It's the single released 8 months before the album release date that irks me.  It kills momentum.  Release the 1st single a month before the album release date.

It's like artists/record labels are treating albums like they're blockbuster Hollywood films, which release teaser trailers 6-8 months ahead, and then two or three theatrical trailers in the 3-4 months leading up to the release date.

Some labels (looking at you Inside Out) have been on the train of releasing at least 3 singles for most new albums in the 2-3 months leading up to release, with the first one at time of reveal, another about a month later, and the a third one when the album is coming out. Like...we get it. And a single released on release date feels redundant to me. If you're already invested in the album,  you're going to hear the whole thing that weekend anyway, so why  bother with a "single" other than to make another promotional video (most of which are intangible graphics of lyrics floating in a void anyway).

I'd say *one* single at the time of reveal with pre-orders and press kits, and then release the album a month or six weeks later. These long, drawn-out waits between reveal and release are starting to make me forget what I've ordered and what's about to come out. Thankfully we've got the Album Release Date Calendar pinned in this forum, because otherwise, I'd be Googling a lot of album release dates for things that aren't due for another 3 or 4 months.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #558 on: July 14, 2023, 12:09:41 PM »
I do think the main purpose of the early promotional videos is to kick start pre-orders, which help fund the manufacture of the album or other band activities (BBT indicated that pre-orders for Ingenious Devices would help find their upcoming tour). So you need people to be aware of an interested enough to buy it in advance. It makes sense to have a new video every several weeks if you have a longer pre-order campaign. But it is kind of annoying from a fan standpoint to get things slow dripped when you’d rather just wait for the whole album.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #559 on: July 14, 2023, 12:20:22 PM »
I have to say, it's unlikely it comes to my area, but I'd *love* to be at one of the promotional screenings for the new album. If SW gets that in a proper setup anywhere near me and I'm chosen, I'm there.