Author Topic: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!  (Read 61243 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Future Bites
« Reply #420 on: December 29, 2021, 07:26:13 AM »
I would rather listen to the last No-Man and Blackfield albums than TFB, tbh, and Steven's involvement in those two is fairly minimal at best, but the No-Man album just grooves a lot, and the last Blackfield was fairly good (though not as good as V).

I think I've listened to TFB about a dozen times this year and I honestly have little desire to revisit it. I still think the mixed reactions to it pushed Steven to move ahead with reuniting Porcupine Tree a lot sooner than he had wanted. Let's hope it turns out to be a good album!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #421 on: December 29, 2021, 09:07:42 AM »
I would rather listen to the last No-Man and Blackfield albums than TFB, tbh, and Steven's involvement in those two is fairly minimal at best, but the No-Man album just grooves a lot, and the last Blackfield was fairly good (though not as good as V).

I think I've listened to TFB about a dozen times this year and I honestly have little desire to revisit it. I still think the mixed reactions to it pushed Steven to move ahead with reuniting Porcupine Tree a lot sooner than he had wanted. Let's hope it turns out to be a good album!

-Marc.

If the fact that TFB bit hard pushed him to reunite PT, then the album was a success in my eyes.  I have little desire to listen to it otherwise.  Personal Shopper and Follower were the only tracks that interested me.  The rest was otherwise forgettable.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Kram

« Reply #422 on: December 29, 2021, 09:54:28 AM »
I still think the mixed reactions to it pushed Steven to move ahead with reuniting Porcupine Tree a lot sooner than he had wanted. Let's hope it turns out to be a good album!

-Marc.
I think you're right about this.  And yeah, it's his worst solo release by far IMO.  Its not that it's total garbage (there are some good tunes on it).  It's just not even close to being in the same league as his other solo albums (both The Raven & HCE are probably in my top 20 - top 25 albums of all time by anyone)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #423 on: December 29, 2021, 08:27:46 PM »
I seriously doubt that Wilson thought, "Damn, people didn't like The Future Bites, so I guess I had better reform Porcupine Tree." That doesn't seem in line at all with his personality, but I get that it will become a theory that catches on as a talking point for some based on absolutely nothing. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #424 on: December 29, 2021, 09:03:32 PM »
Timeline-wise it also feels too soon; I’d be surprised if the decision to reunite PT occurred after TFB released.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #425 on: December 29, 2021, 10:05:01 PM »
Besides, I thought I read somewhere that some of these songs were ideas that they had been floating around the last time they got together. In other words, some of these “new“ songs are not exactly new.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #426 on: December 30, 2021, 01:31:50 AM »
I could see a slight connection because TFB went over fairly lukewarm among the fans so a new PT album feels like a distraction to flip the table and maybe bring some positive buzz again. I also don't think SW has any plans for PT beyond this album and tour, this just feels like a small detour before he makes his next solo album again.

Offline Kram

« Reply #427 on: December 30, 2021, 10:36:32 AM »
I think I read half the songs on the new PT were already written and the other half are new tunes.  Maybe TFB was not as commercially successful as he had hoped. That, coupled with no touring and knowing the fans have been waiting for a new PT release (would be an easy money maker for them) gave SW the push he needed to say this is the time.  Just a thought..

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #428 on: December 30, 2021, 11:05:53 AM »
I'm thinking that Steven put a lot of investment into the touring for The Future Bites and ended up with a big loss of income.

SO what should be done to regenerate those losses and you know what will make easy money. He reformed Porcupine Tree because that demand is there and people will easily pay for a new album and tour (which won't be a big production tour) to generate more profits.

I am sure he already knew this and wanted to continue releasing albums under his name, but what can you do when you take a big income loss and can't do what you really want to do with your solo music due to the financial losses.

Steven reforming Porcupine Tree is not because The Future Bites wasn't a big commercial success. It's due to his financial situation taking a huge loss due to the pandemic. Which it caused financial losses for a lot of bands that were touring or had already invested in touring and are now finding ways to regenerate that loss so they could be a stable band financially.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kram

« Reply #429 on: December 30, 2021, 11:23:48 AM »
I'm thinking that Steven put a lot of investment into the touring for The Future Bites and ended up with a big loss of income.

SO what should be done to regenerate those losses and you know what will make easy money. He reformed Porcupine Tree because that demand is there and people will easily pay for a new album and tour (which won't be a big production tour) to generate more profits.

I am sure he already knew this and wanted to continue releasing albums under his name, but what can you do when you take a big income loss and can't do what you really want to do with your solo music due to the financial losses.

Steven reforming Porcupine Tree is not because The Future Bites wasn't a big commercial success. It's due to his financial situation taking a huge loss due to the pandemic. Which it caused financial losses for a lot of bands that were touring or had already invested in touring and are now finding ways to regenerate that loss so they could be a stable band financially.
Exactly.  These artists don't make much money on album releases anymore anyway - it's touring where they make their $$.  I think I remember him saying he was planning on a pretty exorbitant stage show for TFB tour - he probably lost his ass on that if he already put the money out. So reforming PT was probably an easy decision for him, as the demand for that product already exists.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #430 on: December 30, 2021, 11:28:02 AM »
Yeah, I think he probably took a big hit. The Future Bites were going to be his biggest shows and in Amsterdam there were even promotion posters in general areas. And he was (hopefully is) doing well here, because the venues have kept increasing in size. His solo shows were in increasing bigger venues.

That said, as someone previously quite critical of the album, it has grown on me a lot. Not even sure why it kept returning in my playlists, but I am glad it did.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #431 on: December 30, 2021, 11:41:11 AM »
   These artists don't make much money on album releases anymore anyway - it's touring where they make their $$. I think I remember him saying he was planning on a pretty exorbitant stage show for TFB tour - he probably lost his ass on that if he already put the money out. So reforming PT was probably an easy decision for him, as the demand for that product already exists.

Someone explain to me how this works.  Since the tour did not happen, how would he have lost his ass on it?  I can see having spent a lot of promotion and whatnot for a tour that didn't happen, but as far as everything that it would have taken to put on the shows (lighting, stage stuff, etc.), how does that work as far as stuff he may have invested in, but didn't actually use?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #432 on: December 30, 2021, 11:50:52 AM »
   These artists don't make much money on album releases anymore anyway - it's touring where they make their $$. I think I remember him saying he was planning on a pretty exorbitant stage show for TFB tour - he probably lost his ass on that if he already put the money out. So reforming PT was probably an easy decision for him, as the demand for that product already exists.

Someone explain to me how this works.  Since the tour did not happen, how would he have lost his ass on it?  I can see having spent a lot of promotion and whatnot for a tour that didn't happen, but as far as everything that it would have taken to put on the shows (lighting, stage stuff, etc.), how does that work as far as stuff he may have invested in, but didn't actually use?

A quote from Devin Townsend on this matter (source: his crowdfunding campaign from 2020):

As with any significant tour, the investments of putting up a good show with a fantastic crew and band are massive. There’s lightning rigs, video screens, tour busses, work visas, merch production & logistics, international flights and a ton of other things that require financial backing and when a tour gets cancelled due to government restrictions there’s no insurance policy in place to cover any of that.

Not to mention things like comissioned artwork/video work etc. Those things are produced way in advance.

Offline Kram

« Reply #433 on: December 30, 2021, 11:51:34 AM »

Not 100% sure, but if it was custom made staging, lighting, maybe custom produced videos for the screens he was probably going to have - and who know what else he was planning.  That stuff is in the works months in advance.  He probably had to pay for all that stuff if the companies he contracted with already produced it and did the work.  He can't just walk away from them and say sorry guys, tour's cancelled.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #434 on: December 30, 2021, 11:54:08 AM »
Okay, thank for those posts!  I figured it was something along those lines, but didn't really know the specifics and was curious. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #435 on: December 30, 2021, 12:04:11 PM »
Knowing the elaborate concept of The Future Bites, I was wondering just how far Steven would take the production for the live show.

Must've been immense, and it's a good thing someone bought the Limited Deluxe 10,000Ł boxset. I'm sure that helped him out a lot.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #436 on: December 30, 2021, 04:51:24 PM »
Must've been immense, and it's a good thing someone bought the Limited Deluxe 10,000Ł boxset. I'm sure that helped him out a lot.

All the proceeds from the Ultra Deluxe Box Set went to charity.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #437 on: December 31, 2021, 12:47:07 AM »

All the proceeds from the Ultra Deluxe Box Set went to charity.

OH yeah duh.... :facepalm: :loser:

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #438 on: December 31, 2021, 01:13:03 AM »
I didn’t think too highly of the album when it came out, and even though I’d say it’s his least good solo album to date, it’s been growing on me as of late.

Turns out this album is great to put on if I want something approachable or something that could serve as semi-background music. That’s precisely the problem with the album (it lacks the SW epic/prog ingredients that were still plenty on To The Bone), but it works in its favor as well. 12 Things, King Ghost and Man of the People are just really pleasant tunes.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #439 on: January 01, 2022, 01:17:32 PM »
New Years Update from SW. Autobiography coming.

Curious about this new 3rd project for 2023 he talks about, and what extent PT are going to try and tour late in 2022 (North America namely).

https://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/2022-new-year-update/

2022 NEW YEAR UPDATE
JANUARY 1, 2022
Happy new year from Wilson HQ!

Who could have predicted that as another year rolls around, anything approaching normal life would continue to be in a holding pattern. In my own universe it’s been two years since I finished recording THE FUTURE BITES and one year since it was finally released into the vacuum of the pandemic. It’s been great to see it receiving end of year accolades nevertheless, the 2 Recording Academy / GRAMMYs nominations especially were an unexpectedly pleasant surprise.

Normally, I would have been highly visible promoting and touring a new record throughout the year, but unable to do so I instead disappeared into my studio and busied myself working on some big projects. The first of these is a book, Limited Edition of One, to be published by Little Brown in late March. It was written under a “no rules” philosophy with the collaboration of rock biographer Mick Wall. As well as containing some autobiographical material, it also has a lot on my ideas about music and the way things have changed in my time as a professional, lists, photos from my personal archives, conversation transcripts and even some fictional elements. As there have already been a few books written about me and/or Porcupine Tree in recent years, I’ve chosen to focus on the stuff that people really don’t know about me. As you can probably guess, there will also be a special limited deluxe version. This will feature a second volume of supplementary material and photos, plus a 70 minute CD with “audio illustrations” of some of the things I talk about in the book, including mercifully brief extracts of my school bands, and early unreleased demos by No-Man and Porcupine Tree, among others. Although much of its musical merits might be questionable, my hope is to put you there “in the room” when I’m talking about my early musical endeavours.

The other major 2022 release will be the new Porcupine Tree album Closure / Continuation. The album was completed during lockdown, entirely written, produced and performed by just myself, Gavin and Richard, and will be issued in June on Music For Nations / Sony. I think it’s fair to say that it sounds quintessentially like a Porcupine Tree album, albeit with the benefit of all that the three of us have been doing during the 12 years since the last PT album. Like our best albums, it’s probably the kind you need to listen to several times before it sinks in. You can hear “Harridan” from the album now, with 2 more songs to be previewed online between now and the album’s release. There will also be a select run of concerts towards the end of the year. European shows are on sale now with North and South American shows to be announced soon. There are no plans for any future Porcupine Tree concerts beyond these (though never say never.)

The third major project I’ve been working on is my next album, which I hope to release in mid-2023, a big conceptual thing partly based on a short story that appears in my book. A long way to go yet, but I’m excited about it and where the music is taking me, something completely different again with collaborators both old and new. I remain committed to the idea of building a body of work where every album has its own personality and unique place in the catalogue.

As always, I did my fair share of mixing work for other artists in 2021, including some very unexpected high profile ones, but most of these projects have been held over until 2022 due to a combination of the pandemic and the ever increasing delays in manufacturing vinyl. In terms of surround it was definitely a year when invitations to mix in 5.1 gave way to requests for Dolby Atmos. I’m also in the process of curating a box set which will focus on how the progressive spirit of the 70’s continued to inspire independent and alternative music throughout the 80’s, something which has allowed me to revisit a lot of my favourite post-punk and art pop/rock music from the decade when I was a music-crazed teenager. Everything from Wire and Joy Division to Cardiacs and Cocteau Twins will feature. More news on that soon.

For those that follow and enjoy my podcast with Tim Bowness, The Album Years, we promise to try to be a bit more prolific with it in 2022!

Finally, if you haven’t already, please do check out the collaboration song with my friend Paul Draper called “Omega Man”, a vibey piece of lockdown themed art-pop. As well as featuring on his new album Cult Leader Tactics, it’s being released as an exclusive indie-stores only 7 inch single in extended form.

That’s all for now. Let us all hope for a better connected human race in 2022, despite the Omicron spectre of recent weeks. In the meantime I wish you all the very best for the year to come!

SW, 1st January 2022

Offline Mladen

« Reply #440 on: January 01, 2022, 03:08:22 PM »
I am really happy that he will be continuing his solo path as well.  :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #441 on: January 01, 2022, 10:54:07 PM »
I read that post earlier this morning, and it's nice to know that Steven is always looking ahead, even past what's coming right up.

I do wonder if he just sees this PT reunion as a stop-gap between solo albums, though, or if he's really all in for it and perhaps might revisit PT again after his next solo album? It'll be interesting to see where he goes after 2023 and what he plans on to do afterwards.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DTA

« Reply #442 on: January 02, 2022, 05:42:30 AM »
I doubt SW knows what his future plans for PT are. He's getting older and seems to have mellowed out, so I can see him starting to slow down to enjoy family life and maybe fall back on his old successes like PT to carry him into a comfortable retirement (though he'll be no doubt making music on his deathbed).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #443 on: January 02, 2022, 06:04:48 AM »
I think SW said it before that the freedom that comes with his solo albums is something he values greatly over Porcupine Tree where the sound was getting repetitive and they couldn't expand on it that much because that's what they had in common and that's the sound the band kinda established. This PT revival definitely feels like a means to an end in that it will be some easy quick money like others pointed out, and after a somewhat lackluster fan reception of The Future Bites (I think critically it did well?) this feels like a bit of a ploy to get some of the skeptics back on the train. And it's already working because I know multiple SW fans, myself included who have been feeling a bit disinterested with his music and felt a bit of a decline in recent output, and a new PT album kinda piques your interest in a way that another solo album at this moment wouldn't.

Fully expect him to return to solo stuff after this PT cycle and maybe in another 10 years we get a PT album. Possibly we'll get something from No-Man or Blackfield during these years but those projects don't feel as SW-heavy as PT does. Aviv pretty much has been doing the heavy lifting in Blackfield since the start (and SW's role has only gotten smaller with time) and Tim Bowness brings a lot to No-Man so I think SW views those differently. I also think people just expect more from a new PT release whereas another No-Man or Blackfield would be more of a passion project that can be released more under the radar.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #444 on: January 02, 2022, 10:51:18 AM »
Listened to The Future Bites recently and I still think it's a great album.

For me, When I listen to albums, I like to understand the meaning of the songs and how the music conveys that message. The keys, chord progressions, stylistic choices and vocals (including effects, style and melody) are all a part of that.

And these lyrics in 12 Things I Forgot hit harder with meaning due to the stylistic choice of the album. It sounds, funky and a bit 80's in terms of sound and style choice...

"I forgot what it was that I was
There was a time when I had some ambition
Now I just seem to have inhibitions
Forget what I said
'Bout acting on all the plans that I made
Now I just sit in the corner complaining
Making out things were best in the '80s"

The sound and style is very Bowie, Pink Floyd, Funk, and has Pop elements to it. Which is quite different from his usual progressive output. But whats amazing here is his use of synths and programming to create this uneasy atmosphere. Which is also a part of conveying the meaning of the songs.

Forgot to add that 12 Things I Forgot reminds me of a Blackfield song, more like an Aviv song. I can hear Avivs vocals easily being sung in there.

Offline Kram

« Reply #445 on: January 02, 2022, 11:46:35 AM »
I'm excited for both the PT album and his next solo album "a big conceptual thing partly based on a short story that appears in my book" "something completely different again with collaborators both old and new. I remain committed to the idea of building a body of work where every album has its own personality and unique place in the catalogue". All of that sounds good to me.  I was wondering if he would be addressing the Edwin situation in his update though.  Has anything been said about that anywhere recently?  I know most of us expect Nick Beggs will be handling bass.  Has anyone seen any further mention if this?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #446 on: January 02, 2022, 11:55:38 AM »
I know most of us expect Nick Beggs will be handling bass.  Has anyone seen any further mention if this?

The album was completed during lockdown, entirely written, produced and performed by just myself, Gavin and Richard, and will be issued in June on Music For Nations / Sony.

Looks like bass was done by Steven himself unless Gavin and/or Richard have been practicing. It's interesting to note that he made sure to state that the album was done with just those three. 🤔

-Marc.

Offline Kram

« Reply #447 on: January 02, 2022, 12:09:24 PM »
I know most of us expect Nick Beggs will be handling bass.  Has anyone seen any further mention if this?

The album was completed during lockdown, entirely written, produced and performed by just myself, Gavin and Richard, and will be issued in June on Music For Nations / Sony.

Looks like bass was done by Steven himself unless Gavin and/or Richard have been practicing. It's interesting to note that he made sure to state that the album was done with just those three. 🤔

-Marc.
Good point, and yes I did catch that he mentioned everthing was done by just the 3 of them.  I was referring more to who will handle bass when they tour?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #448 on: January 02, 2022, 01:40:23 PM »

-Marc.
Good point, and yes I did catch that he mentioned everthing was done by just the 3 of them.  I was referring more to who will handle bass when they tour?

Ahhh, for the tour... well Nick seems like the obvious choice, but I wouldn't be surprised if Steven and/or Gavin pulled someone out of left field that we wouldn't expect to play bass in Porcupine Tree. Who are some bassists that Gavin has played with over the last decade that would make for a tight rhythm section in PT?

-Marc.

Offline Kram

« Reply #449 on: January 02, 2022, 01:52:05 PM »

-Marc.

Ahhh, for the tour... well Nick seems like the obvious choice, but I wouldn't be surprised if Steven and/or Gavin pulled someone out of left field that we wouldn't expect to play bass in Porcupine Tree. Who are some bassists that Gavin has played with over the last decade that would make for a tight rhythm section in PT?

-Marc.
Tony Levin?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #450 on: January 05, 2022, 08:50:12 PM »
The bass player from Pineapple Thief, John Sykes.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #451 on: January 06, 2022, 02:03:57 PM »

-Marc.

-Marc.
Tony Levin?

I did think of Tony, and he'd definitely be a neat choice to play bass live, especially since it seems like King Crimson is done (for now), he might welcome the touring opportunity.

The bass player from Pineapple Thief, John Sykes.

I've not heard any TPT, but if he's played with Gavin for awhile, I'm sure their chemistry as a rhythm section would work for PT.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #452 on: January 10, 2022, 12:32:12 AM »
Marc, you haven't heard any TPT?? You're in for a treat! I'd recommend listening to their latest album, Version Of The Truth  :tup
any rock can be made to roll

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #453 on: January 10, 2022, 07:39:34 AM »
Marc, you haven't heard any TPT?? You're in for a treat! I'd recommend listening to their latest album, Version Of The Truth  :tup

Last 4 TPT studio albums are stunning (Magnolia does not have Gavin on drums).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #454 on: January 10, 2022, 06:34:22 PM »
Eh, I am admittedly a lukewarm fan of The Pineapple Thief, but that last album was pretty forgettable. The one before had a few good songs, White Mist and Threatening War, but that was about it.  Granted, I find all of their albums to be pretty spotty at best, so there is that.  This band has some damn fine songs, but consistency is not their friend.