Author Topic: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!  (Read 61185 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Feels like it is time for a new thread, yes?

Here is another new song, ripped from the vinyl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxHXQfV7Mt4

Good tune. 

Anyway, let's discuss the new album some more. :coolio
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 03:05:45 PM by KevShmev »

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Future Bites
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 05:15:31 AM »
I don't understand the purpose of this thread, there already is a Steven Wilson solo thread  ???
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 05:39:41 AM »
I can't stop listening to "12 Things I Forgot". Such an earworm. "Follower" is great too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 07:25:06 AM »
I really like Fear Of A Blank Planet - but SW now has about 150 solo albums. If I liked Porcupine Tree - which SW solo album should I check out ?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 07:35:48 AM »
I don't understand the purpose of this thread, there already is a Steven Wilson solo thread  ???

The other is well over 100 pages, and it feels like most of the time, a new thread gets started when a prior one gets to that many pages.  And with the new album having just been released, it felt like a good time.

I can't stop listening to "12 Things I Forgot". Such an earworm. "Follower" is great too.

Yeah, those are two of my favorites so far, along with Eyewitness (still my favorite from the overall sessions), Man of the People and Move Like a Fever.  Count of Unease seems pretty cool, too, and I suspect that is one that will keep getting better the more I listen. :tup :tup

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 07:50:37 AM »
I really like Fear Of A Blank Planet - but SW now has about 150 solo albums. If I liked Porcupine Tree - which SW solo album should I check out ?

Actually, he only has 6 "real" solo albums. But yeah, he has 6000 other projects. I would seriously recommend just listening to those 6 albums chronologically. They're all great, yet very different from each other. But this way you can follow SW's musical changes and development.

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 07:53:14 AM »
I've listened to The Future Bites a few times now, and I do indeed enjoy it. My only real issue with the album is that I feel like Steven relied too much on guest vocalists; for instance, although I like EMINENT SLEAZE, it barely feels like a Steven Wilson song because it feels like he hardly sings on it. I find that the ones I enjoy more (12 THINGS I FORGOT, COUNT OF UNEASE, FOLLOWER) are sung entirely by Steven. While PERSONAL SHOPPER doesn't feature much vocals from Steven, it does still feel like a Steven Wilson song (though that's mainly because the lyrics have that Fear of a Blank Planet/The Incident feel to it). Overall, there aren't any songs I dislike. KING GHOST and MAN OF THE PEOPLE are just kind of "there", but they're certainly not bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 07:57:17 AM »
After a bunch of listens already this weekend (it is short, and therefore easy to listen to quickly), I can safely that Eminent Sleaze and Personal Shopper are easily my two least favorites.  I don't dislike either, but neither stands out at all.  Getting a legend like Elton John to participate in one of his songs was a major get; it's just too bad he didn't use him in a much better song.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 08:01:03 AM »
What's the deal of having the song titles in all capitals? It was the same with Pain Of Salvation's Panther album last year. Is it a trend or something?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 11:01:40 AM »
What's the deal of having the song titles in all capitals? It was the same with Pain Of Salvation's Panther album last year. Is it a trend or something?

Yes. It's mostly a stylization thing, but I'm also guessing artists do it because it makes the songs stick out more when they appear in a playlist amongst others.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 11:07:58 AM »
Here's a demo of "Anyone But Me", from the cassette included in the box set. It's not bad but I definitely prefer Count of Unease as the closer. He mentioned releasing ABM as a single sometime this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07v9qg8C--s&feature=youtu.be

I'm snowed in today so I've been listening to the bonus tracks from the Deluxe Edition and trying to put together an alternate version of the album.

So far I think I prefer the extended versions of some of the songs. The extended version of Unself in particular is fantastic and I'm baffled as to why he chose to shorten it for the album. Personal Shopper however, I just don't think is interesting enough to warrant a 19-minute remix.

I think some of the bonus tracks like Move Like a Fever, I am Cliché, and Eyewitness make more sense in the album than 12 Things I Forgot. Which is far from a bad song, but it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb on the album.

This is my idea for an alternate version of the album, clocking in at 57:30. I might add in Tastemaker and Anyone But Me when those get released.

1. Unself (Extended)
2. Self
3. Move Like a Fever (From the B-Sides collection, not the Bonus Disc. They're two different versions.)
4. King Ghost (Extended)
5. Eminent Sleaze (Extended)
6. I Am Cliché
7. Man of the People
8. Eyewitness
9. Personal Shopper (Regular version)
10. Count of Unease
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 11:22:03 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 02:06:26 PM »
I can't begin to even think of an alternate running order for the proper album yet, but I saw that the songs from the limited edition bonus disc are up on YT now, and I have been checking those out.  Ha Bloody Ha is an instant favorite and definitely one of my favorites already from the entire TFB box set.  Anybody But Me sounds good as well. 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2021, 05:10:06 PM »
Replying to Kev's reply on my comment in the closed thread:

Kev said: "I am reading that a lot, that this is a pop album, and I don't hear it. How exactly is this a pop album?"

It is pop in the same sense that Gotye is pop.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2021, 07:02:24 PM »
Replying to Kev's reply on my comment in the closed thread:

Kev said: "I am reading that a lot, that this is a pop album, and I don't hear it. How exactly is this a pop album?"

It is pop in the same sense that Gotye is pop.

I am unfamiliar with Gotye, so I have no idea what that means. :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 07:13:27 PM »
The voice-overs in the song "Personal Shopper" remind me of the voice-overs in the Captital Cities tune "Farrah Fawcett  Hair."

Offline genome

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 03:42:08 AM »
Liked 3 or 4 tracks - 12 Things I Forgot, Man of the People, Follower and Count of Unease.

The rest just isn't for me at all. Interestingly, Ha Bloody Ha as a bonus track was up there with the rest of the album, great track.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 08:05:29 AM »
Steven has released a new video for SELF:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UroVey4fJ_g
I can't decide if it's awesome or creepy  :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 08:27:05 AM »

Good tune. 

I don't love the new album but I don't mind it either. This time the music just doesn't really resonate with me, but this one track though.. it's magic.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 09:50:48 AM »

Good tune. 

I don't love the new album but I don't mind it either. This time the music just doesn't really resonate with me, but this one track though.. it's magic.

That might be because it's a demo from 2006, recorded during the Fear of a Blank Planet sessions.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline HOF

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 10:11:28 AM »
Heh, looks like SW is about to get some notoriety for his comments about the guitar, specifically about Eddie Van Halen, which Wolfgang then tweeted about.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/steven-wilson-explains-why-he-was-never-a-fan-of-eddie-van-halen

https://twitter.com/wolfvanhalen/status/1356139355295780865?s=21

Online faizoff

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 10:18:20 AM »
Interesting that Wolfgang even knows about Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree and has been a fan for a while. I think that's the surprising part for me. Nevertheless, this is probably going to go down the typical expected path of calm muted reaction everyone usually does with this kind of thing.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2021, 10:48:03 AM »
It's definitely both. Really cool video and upped my appreciation for the song.

Not wholly sold on the album yet. I dig the style, but so far I feel it needs stronger hooks. 12 Things I Forgot and Personal Shopper are cool, and that video made me like Self more as well. The rest of the album is kind of blurring together at the moment. But I'll give it more listens.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »
Not that I'm surprised by this, but I got the album Saturday, and that day and the next I sat down and listened to the 5.1 mix. Even though I knew many of the songs already from online I was 5x happier with them when listening in that context, and overall I think it gave me a much better appreciation of the album than I would otherwise have.

That said, while I can see myself enjoying this album, I can't foresee it topping the last three, which range from great to top 25 of all time.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2021, 12:12:21 PM »
Ranking his Solo Albums

1. The Raven That Refused to Sing
2. To the Bone
3. Hand.Cannot.Erase
4. The Future Bites
5. Grace for Drowning
6. Insurgentes

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2021, 12:30:15 PM »
It's obviously very early on but yeah, while I don't think this album is bad, it's probably his weakest by a pretty considerable margin.

1: Hand. Cannot. Erase.
2: To The Bone (underrated)
3: Grace For Drowning
4: The Raven That Refused To Sing (overrated, might actually put this below Insurgentes some days of the week)
5: Insurgentes
6: The Future Bites
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2021, 12:39:02 PM »
Insurgentes not at the top is always wrong though
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2021, 01:01:28 PM »
1. Insurgentes
2. Grace
3. Raven
--
4. HCE
5. TTB

Too early to rate the new one because I only spun it once. I think it's more interesting than the last 2 but going a different direction in itself doesn't make something better. It's refreshing for him to do something different though. :)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2021, 01:01:45 PM »
Not the biggest fan of the new one. Yes, it has a lot of great textures and tones and new sounds for Wilson. But the songwriter veers on the "too-preachy" side for many of the songs (which has always been a weakness of Wilson's) and the lack of progressive elements just takes away the element of excitement for me.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2021, 01:40:52 PM »
Does anyone else feel like Steven Wilson is just frustrated after all these years, and wants to crack the mainstream, but won't just come out and say it!

I think it's fairly well documented that he has voiced his opinions on bands that have been huge sellers. To me there always feels like there is a bitter edge there. Or a sly dig at big selling bands. I think he's just too cool to come out and say "yes, I'd like to sell as many albums, and reach as many people as Coldplay or Radiohead. I am equally, if not more talented than them and the public need to realise this."

To me, at this point, every interview I read about the sound of the new album and the direction he's moved as an artist, just feels fake. It just sounds like he's trying to justify the style of music he is playing, in a credible way that is also like a social commentary. Like, just fess up and say, "This style is what's popular and I want to be more popular so that's why the album sounds this way".

I'd have more respect for him then I think. The whole promotion of the new album has just turned me off and left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I might be off base but it's just how the whole thing comes across to me and I can't shake it. Anyone else?

All that said, the new album is alright and I'll give it a few more listens.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2021, 02:20:16 PM »
Is it messed up for me to say I can't stop laughing when I hear Personal Shopper?  I think I have an idea of what Steven was trying to do regarding the lyrics, but I can't stop laughing, especially during the Elton John parts.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2021, 02:31:52 PM »
Is it messed up for me to say I can't stop laughing when I hear Personal Shopper?  I think I have an idea of what Steven was trying to do regarding the lyrics, but I can't stop laughing, especially during the Elton John parts.

What's funny about that Elton John part is it really is pretty much his Shopping List.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2021, 03:25:23 PM »

Love it.  It's a little weird, but that is part of the appeal.  I have had the hook from that song (the harmonies by the ladies) stuck in my head all day now.  :lol :lol

Heh, looks like SW is about to get some notoriety for his comments about the guitar, specifically about Eddie Van Halen, which Wolfgang then tweeted about.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/steven-wilson-explains-why-he-was-never-a-fan-of-eddie-van-halen

https://twitter.com/wolfvanhalen/status/1356139355295780865?s=21

Total non-story. I saw that interview the other day and Wilson was pretty tactful about it.  I am sure some VH fans will read about it and lose their shit, but welcome to 2021 on the internet and social media.

Not that I'm surprised by this, but I got the album Saturday, and that day and the next I sat down and listened to the 5.1 mix. Even though I knew many of the songs already from online I was 5x happier with them when listening in that context, and overall I think it gave me a much better appreciation of the album than I would otherwise have.

That said, while I can see myself enjoying this album, I can't foresee it topping the last three, which range from great to top 25 of all time.

Throw in Grace for Drowning there, making it the last four, and I agree.  I like the new album, but it's definitely a drop-off in quality from all of his solo albums from the 10's. 

I did like seeing your implied appreciation for To the Bone, though!  I gave that a few fresh spins last week and it is holding up really well.  Great from start to finish, and easily one of the most diverse albums he's ever done.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2021, 03:34:54 PM »
Does anyone else feel like Steven Wilson is just frustrated after all these years, and wants to crack the mainstream, but won't just come out and say it!

I think it's fairly well documented that he has voiced his opinions on bands that have been huge sellers. To me there always feels like there is a bitter edge there. Or a sly dig at big selling bands. I think he's just too cool to come out and say "yes, I'd like to sell as many albums, and reach as many people as Coldplay or Radiohead. I am equally, if not more talented than them and the public need to realise this."

To me, at this point, every interview I read about the sound of the new album and the direction he's moved as an artist, just feels fake. It just sounds like he's trying to justify the style of music he is playing, in a credible way that is also like a social commentary. Like, just fess up and say, "This style is what's popular and I want to be more popular so that's why the album sounds this way".

I'd have more respect for him then I think. The whole promotion of the new album has just turned me off and left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I might be off base but it's just how the whole thing comes across to me and I can't shake it. Anyone else?

I do get the sense that he is a bit frustrated that he hasn't had a bit more mainstream success, but I don't think he is writing albums with the intention of trying to appeal to the masses.  That wouldn't even work in 2021 the way it might have in the 80's simply because good luck guessing what the masses like or want in this day and age, and I think he knows that.  I always thought some of his music would have worked really well in film or TV shows.  Put one or two of his songs in a popular film or TV show and it could do wonders, but I am not counting on that any time soon.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2021, 07:41:54 PM »
Wolf wasn’t offended by Steven’s comments, but he did admit that he was bummed out by the comments since he holds him in high regard.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2021, 08:39:08 PM »

Man, such a good point.

Yeah, I've noticed a slight resentment against big artists that have really made it on the biggest leagues but at the same time he shows a lot of appreciation for artists that did something really cool and big in the pop scene (such as Peter Gabriel, who was said to be a big inspiration during the To The Bone process).

I definitely sense that he would love a crack at the mainstream but, as you say, he's too cool to actually come forward and say so. It's easier to be this counter-culture artist that basically does something entirely different musically-speaking (the exact opposite of artists like Neal Morse) each time around and that has this constant position of daring and defiance against what he thinks is not good enough in the industry. You got artists like John Mayer that are basically made and constructed from the guitar, but if asked about him Wilson would probably go all like "he's not doing something that hasn't been done in the last 30 years", so I find very wise to take his opinions with a grain of salt. He's one of my favorite songwriters and he always will be, but I know when to draw a line (GET IT ITS LIKE IN THE INCIDENT OLO)
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing