Author Topic: New LTE - LTE 3 2021!!  (Read 57265 times)

Offline Volante99

Re: New LTE Coming Spring 2021!!
« Reply #350 on: January 22, 2021, 05:04:29 PM »
I thought that was just solid. 

I mean, I loved the first two albums and it's only one listen, but we've just heard this all before.  It just all sounds the same to me now a little.  There's heaps of DT in here but also this track could be on a Petrucci solo album for me.  I feel the personality for each project starts to gel into each other. Maybe it's the production these days, not sure.  I'll have to listen again though, there were some very nice sections.

I would agree here, this track is fairly “safe”. Hopefully they get a lil...weird...on the other tracks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: January 22, 2021, 05:06:23 PM »

I mean, I loved the first two albums and it's only one listen, but we've just heard this all before.  It just all sounds the same to me now a little.  There's heaps of DT in here but also this track could be on a Petrucci solo album for me.  I feel the personality for each project starts to gel into each other. Maybe it's the production these days, not sure.  I'll have to listen again though, there were some very nice sections.

I would agree here, this track is fairly “safe”. Hopefully they get a lil...weird...on the other tracks.

Safe is probably a good word.  Yeah, I expected more craziness in the instrumentation really, this seems run of the mill and a track they wrote with their eyes closed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • żDe qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #352 on: January 22, 2021, 05:06:59 PM »
Yeah pretty much the same. Still looking forward to the album though.

Offline HOF

« Reply #353 on: January 22, 2021, 05:08:13 PM »

I agree it’s not “new ground” per se, but it grabbed me the same way the previous LTE material did and stuff like JP’s solo album and recent DT hasn’t. I’m pretty excited for a return to the old days of sorts.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: January 22, 2021, 05:11:35 PM »

I agree it’s not “new ground” per se, but it grabbed me the same way the previous LTE material did and stuff like JP’s solo album and recent DT hasn’t. I’m pretty excited for a return to the old days of sorts.

That's what's missing I guess for me, but my tastes have heavily changed from back then.  I'm hoping I'll grow to love it.  It's excellent seeing them back together again.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #355 on: January 22, 2021, 05:13:08 PM »

Same. From a marketing standpoint you probably want a safe, familiar sound to lead off the album with.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: January 22, 2021, 05:16:22 PM »
Man... LOVE the new song!!!   Can't wait for the album to drop!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #357 on: January 22, 2021, 05:32:22 PM »
I need to go back and listen to this with headphones on, but from my initial listens, I must say that the mixing by Rich Mouser is pretty on point. He is one of the best in the industry, and pretty much every album that he's worked on has sounded VERY good to my ears. I was surprised to learn Rich mixed this one and that JP didn't get whoever mixed his solo album or even the earlier LTE albums (I'm not sure who they were), but if Mike proposed Rich to be the mixer, i'd say good on him - it was a great choice.

As for "The Passage Of Time" sounding safe - I think that was definitely deliberate. They wanted to announce their return with a track that would reel in existing fans and show them that they're still as great as they were twenty years ago (or thirteen if you count the 2008 anniversary tour they did). It also shows new fans who may be discovering them for the first time that this is *the* LTE sound, and it does a good job of doing that IMO. The teaser they released awhile back of "Hypersonic" sounds like it'll be a bit different than what we're used to with LTE, in that is sounds crunchier and riffier than usual, perhaps a tad bit more technical and proggy, but I have a feeling that we will get some very melodic stuff as well.

For anyone who hasn't heard their live rendition of "Rhapsody In Blue", I'm sure the album version will be a treat for them. Heck, I've heard their live version (particularly the LA one) probably a hundred times since the Live boxset came out in 2009, and I'm STILL looking forward to hearing how they've recorded it for this new album!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 10:42:19 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #358 on: January 22, 2021, 05:33:24 PM »
Am I the only one that caught MP tank top?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #359 on: January 22, 2021, 05:36:35 PM »
Am I the only one that caught MP tank top?

Wonderful song. Tastefully LTE. Some initial impressions (they're all positive)

JP's tone. His scales, runs, & sweeps are cleaner than my grandma's kitchen.
Rudess' nod to Keith Emerson at 0:40
Rudess' lead from 5:00 to 5:46 is one of his best leads ever.
Levin's playing, tone, and chapman stick!!!!!
MP's Neal Peart tank top.
MP's playing is very tasteful. It fits the song.
The section from 2:01 to 2:41
Kinda Rush sounding from 4:04 to 4:12
The orchestral section from 5:47 to 6:17 is epic. It might be my favorite part of the song.

I liked it all.

Nope, Anxiety35 did as well. I noticed it on my second viewing too. Very nice touch!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #360 on: January 22, 2021, 05:51:33 PM »
My parents taught me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
I'll stand with you, in silence. :-X

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #361 on: January 22, 2021, 08:18:15 PM »
I like the new song

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #362 on: January 22, 2021, 08:22:31 PM »
My younger brother, who is as big a DT and LTE fan as I am, listened to the song first today and texted me, "Impressed, but bored. Sounds like they're practicing. You guys can play well, we get it." And I have to admit, that was my exact reaction when I listened to it tonight.  I listened twice and cannot remember anything about it.  I will probably just wait for the full album, but those first two LTE album felt like lightning in a bottle, and I do worry about being able to recapture that magic over 20 years later.  It's not as simple as putting the same four guys together and getting just as good a results.  Yes, the playing will be off the charts, but without great melodies, which just oozed out of the first two albums, the chops are just empty calories.  Just my thought process after being underwhelmed.  With any luck, my opinion will change when I hear the album and I will have to eat my words. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #363 on: January 22, 2021, 08:26:26 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #364 on: January 22, 2021, 09:02:16 PM »
Liked it but didn’t love it. Jordan is a little low in the mix for me which I can kind of accept with DT but less so with LTE when his keyboards have always been very integral to their sound.  It does sound a little like a bunch of different riffs thrown together without much of a melody but it’s very early days as I’ve only heard it twice.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #365 on: January 22, 2021, 09:21:23 PM »
Applying my usual refrain of not listening to anything until I get the album in my hands. But am very encouraged by the positive comments.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #366 on: January 22, 2021, 09:42:48 PM »
Didn't think much of it but that's what I thought about half the LTE songs anyway.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #367 on: January 22, 2021, 10:16:04 PM »
I need to go back and listen to this with headphones on, but from my initial listens, I must say that the mixing by Rich Mouser is pretty on point. He is one of the best in the industry, and pretty much every album that he's worked on has sounded VERY good to my ears. I was surprised to learn Rich mixed this one and that JP didn't get whoever mixed his solo album or even the earlier LTE albums (I'm not sure who they were), but if Mike proposed Rich to be the mixer, i'd say good on him - it was a great choice.

As for "The Passage Of Time" sounding safe - I think that was definitely deliberate. They wanted to announce their return with a track that would reel in existing fans and show them that they're still as great as they were twenty years ago (or thirteen if you count the 2008 anniversary tour they did). It also shows new fans who may be discovering them for the first time that this is *the* LTE sound, and it does a good job of doing that IMO. The teaser they released awhile back of "Hypersonic" sounds like it'll be a bit different than what we're used to with LTE, in that is sounds crunchier and riffier than usual, perhaps a tad bit more technical and proggy, but I have a feeling that we will get some very melodic stuff as well.

For anyone who hasn't heard their live rendition of "Rhapsody In Blue", I'm sure the album version will be a treat for them. Heck, I've heard their live version (particularly the LA one) probably a hundred times since the Live boxset came out in 2009, and I'm STILL looking forward to hearing how they've recorded it for this new album!f

-Marc.

I think they released The Passage of Time, as it is the first song they wrote together, and they see it as a good indication of how it feels like walking out that studio, so many years ago, and walking back in now to record a new album and it feeling as if no time has passed at all when they jammed their first jam. That name "The Passage of Time" says that as well. And is just cool as a first single based on that meaning of that song and the words "The Passage of Time" as it relates to us fans also hearing new music from them since forever.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: January 22, 2021, 10:20:20 PM »
My younger brother, who is as big a DT and LTE fan as I am, listened to the song first today and texted me, "Impressed, but bored. Sounds like they're practicing. You guys can play well, we get it." And I have to admit, that was my exact reaction when I listened to it tonight.  I listened twice and cannot remember anything about it.  I will probably just wait for the full album, but those first two LTE album felt like lightning in a bottle, and I do worry about being able to recapture that magic over 20 years later.  It's not as simple as putting the same four guys together and getting just as good a results.  Yes, the playing will be off the charts, but without great melodies, which just oozed out of the first two albums, the chops are just empty calories.  Just my thought process after being underwhelmed.  With any luck, my opinion will change when I hear the album and I will have to eat my words. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Great description from your brother there.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #369 on: January 23, 2021, 04:55:17 AM »

Great description from your brother there.

Yup ... nailed it.  Impressive but boring (though, that's too strong a word, imo ... perhaps "lacklustre"?) at the same time is a good way
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: January 23, 2021, 05:25:56 AM »
Let's say.....solid.  ;D

Offline tofee35

« Reply #371 on: January 23, 2021, 05:45:01 AM »
I know myself and this music. My first reaction is never my true feelings of a prog song. It didn't grav me like universal mind or acid rain. But, there's alot to digest. It's a thick, ballsy song with not much air. I can't wait for the full album. I'm going to lay on my floor with headphones on like I was 15 again.
-Tof

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #372 on: January 23, 2021, 06:38:47 AM »
It does actually sound more of a song that was carefully structured and not so much a result of a jam of some sort..but there is more music in this album so we'll wait and see!

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #373 on: January 23, 2021, 06:42:52 AM »

Same. From a marketing standpoint you probably want a safe, familiar sound to lead off the album with.
Agreed. they wouldn't release a song like Chris & Kevin's Excellent Adventure or Liquid Dreams as a lead single so this is about what I expected at this point. Lead singles from most albums rarely ever end up being one of my favorites anyway (On the Backs of Angels, The Enemy Inside, Unteathered Angel, etc). So if this holds form for me and this song just ends up being a run-of-the-mill song on the album, then I'm pretty excited as I like the track. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll deliver a worthy album of the LTE name.

I do hope that there are some lighter/more melodic parts as that is a big part of their sound for me. That all said, I'm just happy to be getting new LTE in general after all these years. So great to see them all working together again.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #374 on: January 23, 2021, 08:15:53 AM »
It's a cool song and I'm very confident that the album will have even better songs. The mix and mastering by Rich Mouser are amazing! I think it's about time to him to handle a DT album. :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #375 on: January 23, 2021, 08:57:45 AM »
Kind of off-topic but is that Liquid Trio Experiment album worth listening to? I loved the vibe of some of the improv-y songs from 1 & 2 and could go for more of that sound.

You'll probably really like it. Admittedly, it's not something I listen to nearly as often as other DT-related albums, but I'm glad it exists, and it's nice to throw on once in a while. Definitely scratches the LTE itch when you've gone through the first 2 albums and want a little more, best paired with When The Keyboard Breaks album to get some JP.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #376 on: January 23, 2021, 09:35:45 AM »
Are the Live In NYC/LA albums available somewhere?
Perhaps somewhere to download the audio at least?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #377 on: January 23, 2021, 11:11:04 AM »
I was just wondering the same exact thing.  I haven't seen either one of these shows except a few youtube excerpts.  Both shows look like a MUST HAVE!   The LA version looks more like a polished theater presentation, while the New York version is in a small venue with a rockin raw performance party type atmosphere.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #378 on: January 23, 2021, 11:17:44 AM »
I was just wondering the same exact thing.  I haven't seen either one of these shows except a few youtube excerpts.  Both shows look like a MUST HAVE!   The LA version looks more like a polished theater presentation, while the New York version is in a small venue with a rockin raw performance party type atmosphere.

On the New York disk, they do an awesome version of Osmosis, way better than the one they did in LA.

Both are great to have. I have the DVD of the LA show, and the cd of the New York, as I feel. The LA show is great for the dvd, as in a musical performance to bask in the musicality of the performers. While the New York show, is the concert performance, and it makes for a great cd as you can hear and sense that energy from the audience that the band is feeding off of.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #379 on: January 23, 2021, 11:32:31 AM »
Thanks Ben_Jamin,  I don't know how I missed out on these for over a decade.  :justjen
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #380 on: January 23, 2021, 11:52:03 AM »
Thanks Ben_Jamin,  I don't know how I missed out on these for over a decade.  :justjen

I waited a while to get Live in NY. I only got it after seeing that video of Osmosis on Youtube, and saying, that sounds better than the LA one. So, I bought it as I knew the energy would translate better for a CD. Good thing I did, because that wasn't too long before Ytsejam Records closed shop.

I think it'd be awesome if LTE, went on Bandcamp, and offered the albums, and the live albums through there. They can set their own prices for the digital, and the physical copies. I honestly think Bandcamp is great for these small side-projects that are harder to get out there, the usual way.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #381 on: January 23, 2021, 12:04:38 PM »
Funnily enough, I've always preferred the LA show over the NYC show as my go-to live LTE concert to listen to. I've probably listened to LA over NYC like 20-to-1, but the NYC show definitely has a raw energy to it that makes it an exciting show, especially being the late/second show at the same venue, so they're all warmed up and cranking out the riffs with a lot of power.

The LA show is more clean cut, a more refined engine of a show that, other than JP's guitar failure during "Universal Mind", ran as smoothly as possible. I like that about the LA show, and the extended JR Keyboard solo during UM is a beautiful moment of improv by Jordan. The version of "Osmosis" for LA runs a couple minutes longer than NYC as well. And I think quite a few of the songs ran a bit longer at the LA show, perhaps for a few extended solos in some of the songs.

Also, the LA show was released on BD, and it just looks gorgeous. I'm so glad I was able to order the LTE Live 2008 box set when I did. It's gone for insane prices over the last decade or so, and its easily one of my more prized music possessions given how hard it is to get a hold of for a reasonable price.

-Marc.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #382 on: January 23, 2021, 12:14:22 PM »
I also always preferred the LA show over the one in NYC. One of my favorite moments is when JP goes wild with the extended solo on Acid Rain :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #383 on: January 23, 2021, 01:46:38 PM »

I waited a while to get Live in NY. I only got it after seeing that video of Osmosis on Youtube, and saying, that sounds better than the LA one. So, I bought it as I knew the energy would translate better for a CD. Good thing I did, because that wasn't too long before Ytsejam Records closed shop.

I think it'd be awesome if LTE, went on Bandcamp, and offered the albums, and the live albums through there. They can set their own prices for the digital, and the physical copies. I honestly think Bandcamp is great for these small side-projects that are harder to get out there, the usual way.
They are! At least the studio albums are.

https://liquidtensionexperiment.bandcamp.com/

Although I assume Magna Carta has all of the rights to them, and this is all MC and not the band members themselves.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #384 on: January 23, 2021, 04:00:15 PM »
The shirt.  The Majesty kit.

Also, Tony Levin 74 years old and kinda looking like it these days, but damn the guy can still play.  All of them sounded great.