Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172120 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #1750 on: May 05, 2022, 02:19:14 PM »
Speaking of pre-orders, I need to get mine in for Sniper Elite 5 releasing on 5/27.  Just in time for the Memorial Day weekend, yes!  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1751 on: May 06, 2022, 03:17:16 PM »
Did a triple bogey in Elden Ring today and beat Malenia, Maliketh and Hoarah Loux, I might be a bit overleveled now.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1752 on: May 06, 2022, 03:54:32 PM »
Gaming on historian on youtube is a must for retro nerds.  He just released what is essentially independently produced hour+ long documentary about Super Mario World

https://youtu.be/s2bTQK6vbKI

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1753 on: May 06, 2022, 06:26:00 PM »
Gaming on historian on youtube is a must for retro nerds.  He just released what is essentially independently produced hour+ long documentary about Super Mario World

I forgot about that guy. I've seen a couple videos he's made on Nintendo, thought they were very entertaining and insightful. Will be sure to check this one out!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1754 on: May 12, 2022, 12:11:13 PM »
I got my 512gig Steam Deck today and it's pretty impressive from the 15 minutes I played with it. It's big and feels a lot more premium than the Switch (which is to be expected considering the price point). I play on spending some more time playing it tonight and well give some more thoughts.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1755 on: May 12, 2022, 12:22:06 PM »
I'm most curious to see reviews come out about how it performs in docked mode. I'd love something I could connect to a monitor but still take on the go when needed/wanted.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1756 on: May 12, 2022, 09:31:36 PM »

I forgot about that guy. I've seen a couple videos he's made on Nintendo, thought they were very entertaining and insightful. Will be sure to check this one out!

Most interesting part of that video was introducing the SNES to the US market in the midst of the "Bit Wars."

Also, I wanna play SMB World now! Except... I found it on the Switch SNES bundle, but the game opens as it is when it is completed, with all the levels are cleared. WTF?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1757 on: May 13, 2022, 08:14:51 AM »
Also, I wanna play SMB World now! Except... I found it on the Switch SNES bundle, but the game opens as it is when it is completed, with all the levels are cleared. WTF?

You launched the "Special" version of the game, which is a thing for some games on NES and SNES Online that give the player some sort of cheat or early unlock to play the game in a different way. You'll notice by the red "SP" attached to the game icon. The original version of the game is available, of course; just look for the one without the SP on it.

Mario games are fun, but out of all the ones I've played (and I've played most of them), Super Mario World is easily my choice for the best Mario game. They did everything perfectly with this game, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of playing it. And that's saying a lot, because I've played this game ever since I was very young. All that is to say, I hope you enjoy it!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1758 on: May 13, 2022, 10:43:34 AM »
So I played some more with the Steam Deck last night.

First of all the thing is big, and it still has taken me a bit of time to get comfortable with how big it is but it is comfortable to play with. The steam UI experience is pretty good and better than say the switch eShop. You can take your current library and sort all the games by the different stages of verification for the steam deck. Mouse support is actually pretty damn good. You won't be using the track pad in an FPS shooter but it's great to navigate menus. It's like the Steam controller but much more natural feeling.

I've been able to try three games so far:

Dirt Rally - Runs and plays flawlessly, battery life is about 3 hours but the experience is smooth and feels exactly as if I was playing on my PC with my steam controller

Sonic Mania - Again the game runs flawlessly. I did oddly have to hope in the settings to have the game run full screen mode, but aside from that hiccup the experience was great.

RimWorld - I had to use the mouse for the world creation but it wasnt too much of a hassle. The game also ran beautifully.

Overall I'm really impressed by the deck so far but I'm not sure if I'll keep it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1759 on: May 13, 2022, 12:23:26 PM »

You launched the "Special" version of the game, which is a thing for some games on NES and SNES Online that give the player some sort of cheat or early unlock to play the game in a different way. You'll notice by the red "SP" attached to the game icon. The original version of the game is available, of course; just look for the one without the SP on it.

Mario games are fun, but out of all the ones I've played (and I've played most of them), Super Mario World is easily my choice for the best Mario game. They did everything perfectly with this game, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of playing it. And that's saying a lot, because I've played this game ever since I was very young. All that is to say, I hope you enjoy it!

A-ha! Thanks for the tip! Not sure why they couldn't put both versions next to each other.

I have no idea what the best Mario game is. I'd have a hard enough time ranking my favorites.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1760 on: May 13, 2022, 12:55:21 PM »

A-ha! Thanks for the tip! Not sure why they couldn't put both versions next to each other.

I have no idea what the best Mario game is. I'd have a hard enough time ranking my favorites.

You're welcome! :)

SMW is easily my #1, but I'd have a hard time ranking the other Mario games I've played, as well. I think I consider SMW the best and not just my favorite because I find the way Mario controls to be better than in any other Mario game (except the Super Mario Maker games). But it's easy to see why games like SMB3, SM64, or even more recent games like Galaxy 1+2 and Odyssey get so much acclaim.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1761 on: May 13, 2022, 01:42:52 PM »
I'd probably put SMW at #1 in terms of replayability. I doubt if I fired up any other Mario game right this minute I would get the sheer enjoyment I would out of playing SMW. A lot of that is nostalgia, but it is also just such a fun game to play.

I never played Odyssey. I got a Switch a few years after launch and just have had other games (Switch and PC) I've wanted to play more.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1762 on: May 13, 2022, 02:06:19 PM »
I think my favorite Mario game is actually Super Mario Land for the Gameboy

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1763 on: May 13, 2022, 03:58:21 PM »
I am replaying some old games while streaming them lately. Last night I finished Dino Crisis 2 - damn, I had forgotten how messy the story was :lol. But quite a fun little game, always a blast to revisit some of these games from my childhood.

Now I'm playing Silent Hill.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1764 on: May 15, 2022, 09:12:30 AM »
My gf was over yesterday so we went through the switch marketplace looking for a game we could play together.... we got Streets of Rage 4 which was so much fun to play through together. Very nostalgic but still fun and simple enough for the bothe of us to spend a few hours playing through. The same people are making the next TMNT game so I'm sure we will play that as well now.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1765 on: May 16, 2022, 04:04:26 AM »
Super Mario World is truly excellent, probably my favourite 2d platformer. I played it for the first time in 2018 when I got gifted a SNES classic. My childhood 2d Mario was Marioland 2 the Six Golden Coins.

I am considering buying a modded GBA. I have like 30 gameboy titles and they are unplayable on old gameboys. I have no idea how I could see anything on those screens back in the day. The modded GBA's go for around the 130 euros here (ips screen and new casing). But man retro prices have kinda jumped the shark, so getting a few games will hurt. Not as bad as on ebay/the US but still steep. I do feel now is probably the last time where I can get some for a price I am atleast somewhat willing to pay. The expensive ones I want boxed are Pokemon Firered, Oracle of Seasons, Metroid Fusion and Metal Gear Solid. Thankfully I do already own some of the other really expensive ones and some of the other games aren't as bad.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1766 on: May 16, 2022, 11:59:07 AM »
Super Mario World is one of my all-time favorites. I'll never forget when a friend and I randomly decided to 100% the entire game in a day, which ended up taking us past midnight. :lol It's also quite a difficult game, especially if you don't play a lot of platformers. I replayed it a couple of years ago and it was a surprising reminder of how games used to treat difficulty versus now.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1767 on: May 16, 2022, 03:11:13 PM »
Super Mario World is one of my all-time favorites. I'll never forget when a friend and I randomly decided to 100% the entire game in a day, which ended up taking us past midnight. :lol It's also quite a difficult game, especially if you don't play a lot of platformers. I replayed it a couple of years ago and it was a surprising reminder of how games used to treat difficulty versus now.

Yes retro games do not fuck around. The SNES classic tought me Dark Souls/Hollow Knight was the norm back then and the punishment for death was often actually harsher. I used savestates in some games (though only at the beginning of levels/dungeons). But a difference to me seems that games were much shorter and the content was to get a little further each time you revisited it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1768 on: May 16, 2022, 10:20:47 PM »
The great thing about SMW is that there are no cheap deaths. There's no impossible bosses, insane platforming, crazy patterns to memories, getting bumped by an enemy and Castlevania'ed off the edge to your death. If you die, it's on you.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1769 on: May 17, 2022, 11:53:30 AM »
I'm 100 hours into the Witcher 3 and I'm still not past act I.

Help.

140 and I just completed the base game. Welp, 2 expansions to go now.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1770 on: May 17, 2022, 12:21:00 PM »
Hell yeah! Absolutely play Hearts of Stone first. Blood and Wine is a nice epilogue to the whole experience.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1771 on: May 17, 2022, 12:57:07 PM »
The game that devoured my life for a couple of years with almost 2000 hours on steam is finally getting an official sequel even though it's been hinted for years.

Anyone that's familiar with the Arma series knows it's a complicated game in seize and depth. So this is going to be a long journey before Arma 4 is official released.

Showcase of the new engine in form of a playable demo:
Arma Reforger Enfusion Showcase Trailer

Road to Arma 4

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1772 on: May 17, 2022, 04:08:27 PM »
I took a few weeks off Horizon FW. Came back to realize I forgot how to play and how easy my squishy body can be killed by, well... everything. Oof. Gotta teach myself how to play again.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #1773 on: May 18, 2022, 07:43:43 AM »
I think my favorite Mario game is actually Super Mario Land for the Gameboy

This is a great game!  Played it a ton back in the day.  6 Golden Coins is great too.  My old Game Boy actually still works.  Found it at my parents house not that long ago.  Luckily I didn't leave batteries in it from the last time I played it when I was a kid, or it probably wouldn't still be working.  I tried playing Mortal Kombat on my Game Boy, boy that was tough.  I was like, how did I used to play this?

I will always love Super Mario 3 as my favorite.  I can play that game anytime.  The different worlds are so fun.  Mario 64 is another favorite that I have played through quite a few times.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1774 on: May 18, 2022, 03:07:02 PM »
It's not SMB3, but there's a fantastic recent documentary on the launch of the SNES and Super Mario World that includes some commentary on SMB3 sprinkled throughout. Highly recommended.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1775 on: May 18, 2022, 03:12:24 PM »
It's not SMB3, but there's a fantastic recent documentary on the launch of the SNES and Super Mario World that includes some commentary on SMB3 sprinkled throughout. Highly recommended.

I am adding this to my watch list, since without cable I love watching youtube videos like this before bed now.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1776 on: May 18, 2022, 04:37:21 PM »

I am adding this to my watch list, since without cable I love watching youtube videos like this before bed now.

You should check out this massive playlist of 1600+ long form video essays. Many are several hours long and there's all kinds of videos there. I spend a disturbing amount of time watching this stuff. Check it out

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: May 18, 2022, 05:06:46 PM »
That's a shit load of content  :lol I'm sure there's lots of things I'd be interested in though

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1778 on: May 18, 2022, 05:34:22 PM »
Yeah, I just scroll and look for the stuff I'm actually interested in really. I spent an entire weekend on final fantasy videos recently  :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1779 on: May 19, 2022, 06:40:30 AM »
I'm 100 hours into the Witcher 3 and I'm still not past act I.

Help.

140 and I just completed the base game. Welp, 2 expansions to go now.

The expansions are absolutely phenomenal. Some people actually prefer them over the base game. I personally like the base game more just because of the deeply personal connection between Geralt and Ciri, but the expansions are still great.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 02:55:21 PM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1780 on: May 19, 2022, 08:22:01 AM »
Sniper Elite 5 coming out next week!  :hefdaddy :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1781 on: May 19, 2022, 12:08:33 PM »

Yes retro games do not fuck around. The SNES classic tought me Dark Souls/Hollow Knight was the norm back then and the punishment for death was often actually harsher. I used savestates in some games (though only at the beginning of levels/dungeons). But a difference to me seems that games were much shorter and the content was to get a little further each time you revisited it.

One of my biggest frustrations from my childhood is not being able to beat "Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts" on the original SNES, really fun game (At the time) but frustrating to beat.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1782 on: May 19, 2022, 02:32:24 PM »

One of my biggest frustrations from my childhood is not being able to beat "Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts" on the original SNES, really fun game (At the time) but frustrating to beat.

include me in that group that looks back on the SNES and can remember a TON of games where I just couldn't get past a certain point no matter how hard I tried.  Batman, Castlevania...  Only when I got to the PC then to the PS did I start to actually finish games.

Is there a way - short of the SNES itself - of going back and playing any of those games?  I know I had a disk of Atari games - they were ok - and I downloaded Dark Forces to my xBox once (it SUCKED; the controls were all screwed up because they weren't "remastered" to the xBox, so they were very counter-intuitive.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1783 on: May 19, 2022, 02:44:37 PM »
A lot of old school games can be played right in your browser for free now

https://playclassic.games/games/snes-games/

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1784 on: May 19, 2022, 05:47:34 PM »

include me in that group that looks back on the SNES and can remember a TON of games where I just couldn't get past a certain point no matter how hard I tried.  Batman, Castlevania...  Only when I got to the PC then to the PS did I start to actually finish games.

Is there a way - short of the SNES itself - of going back and playing any of those games?  I know I had a disk of Atari games - they were ok - and I downloaded Dark Forces to my xBox once (it SUCKED; the controls were all screwed up because they weren't "remastered" to the xBox, so they were very counter-intuitive.

Someone needs to stop Stadler before he finds a new fascinating moral and ethical dilemma: video game emulation, piracy, and the legalities of it all. :) :)

Not encouraging that as per board rules. They do sell SNES Classics which come installed with classic SNES titles.