Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 167389 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #1890 on: June 16, 2022, 01:22:04 PM »
My good friend is a classic game collector so I'm aware of how expensive N64 gaming can be these days, but there's so many cool mods and 3rd party controllers now that can up the experience quite a bit.  I still have my original N64 and controllers that I was using a lot with my GF until we got the switch.  We even got the new Mario Party that is a mix of the N64 versions of the games so kind of makes playing it on the N64 obsolete now.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1891 on: June 16, 2022, 01:23:07 PM »
Does anyone use their PC on a big TV? If so, what's the go to streaming/connection solution other than a long-ass HDMI cable?
Long-ass HDMI cable. It's digital so it either works or it doesn't, and it's always worked for me. Before that I've used long-ass components, and long-ass DVI. HDMI carrying audio is a godsend, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1892 on: June 16, 2022, 01:26:07 PM »
Does anyone use their PC on a big TV? If so, what's the go to streaming/connection solution other than a long-ass HDMI cable?

In the past, I used an HDMI cable and I currently don't do that or had the need to connect my PC to a TV, but I think there's a way if it's a smart TV on your home network to do a screen sharing in Windows to your TV.  (at least I saw a tiktok about doing this, just never tried or even looked into it further)
What would be the benefit? Most modern video cards are going to have 3-4 outputs. The only advantage I can see is that it might smooth things over if your TV is a different resolution than your monitor. That confounded me for years, but now that they're all the same res it's smooth as can be.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1893 on: June 16, 2022, 01:35:15 PM »

In the past, I used an HDMI cable and I currently don't do that or had the need to connect my PC to a TV, but I think there's a way if it's a smart TV on your home network to do a screen sharing in Windows to your TV.  (at least I saw a tiktok about doing this, just never tried or even looked into it further)
What would be the benefit? Most modern video cards are going to have 3-4 outputs. The only advantage I can see is that it might smooth things over if your TV is a different resolution than your monitor. That confounded me for years, but now that they're all the same res it's smooth as can be.

If it works (never looked into trying it out) the benefit would simply be that there's no cable needed.  (can't imagine the quality of video/sound to be better) 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1894 on: June 16, 2022, 02:05:42 PM »
The only long-ass cable I would need is a hardwire ethernet to the console since my WiFi is in the other room.  That would improve download speeds (a little) but the WiFi is already kickass.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1895 on: June 18, 2022, 11:27:06 PM »
I see a lot of people excited for the new FFVII remake part. But have those people played Kingdom Hearts and other games these storytellers are responsible for? The moment the Aerith "I should be dead?" alternate universe shit came in to play is the moment I decided I am waiting until this trilogy is finished. I expect Game of Thrones s8 / Rise of the Skywalker tier writing at the highest.

Look, I am open to new interpretations of an existing story and think it is good to deviate. But I will be very surprised if this comes out decently in terms of story (you know, one of the big parts of FF). Every FFVII spin-off has been comically bad on this front and now they (some of the same people) are rewriting the actual story.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1896 on: June 18, 2022, 11:41:31 PM »
I see a lot of people excited for the new FFVII remake part. But have those people played Kingdom Hearts and other games these storytellers are responsible for? The moment the Aerith "I should be dead?" alternate universe shit came in to play is the moment I decided I am waiting until this trilogy is finished. I expect Game of Thrones s8 / Rise of the Skywalker tier writing at the highest.

Look, I am open to new interpretations of an existing story and think it is good to deviate. But I will be very surprised if this comes out decently in terms of story (you know, one of the big parts of FF). Every FFVII spin-off has been comically bad on this front and now they (some of the same people) are rewriting the actual story.

I've never played/finished the original. I bought the Steam version a few months ago but I got annoyed with the random encounters. Mang, I was just trying to figure out where to go and I get sucked into a fight with invisible enemies and my health is low. I didn't grow up playing these games (or any JRPG) and I'm an old herrick with leetle patience.

I'll check out the remake when all the games are finished.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1897 on: June 19, 2022, 10:33:20 AM »
I wish they would have just followed the original story  :P

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1898 on: June 19, 2022, 11:07:09 AM »
Honestly, I like the fact they are willing to mess with the established narrative. At least then it serves a purpose other than fulfilling a nostalgia pump.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1899 on: June 19, 2022, 04:07:48 PM »
Honestly, I like the fact they are willing to mess with the established narrative. At least then it serves a purpose other than fulfilling a nostalgia pump.

I don't know man, PS1 games were obviously very limited and they greatly expanded upon many characters/scenes due to it being three games instead of one. And a great deal of people will experience it the first time, FFVII is 25 years old and looks and plays like it. Remakes in gaming are usually more meaningful than in music/film in my opinion.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1900 on: June 19, 2022, 07:30:06 PM »
They also knew they could milk the fanbase three times instead of one because of the original's reputation. The first two parts are going for $115 (each) here and that is well above typical AAA game retail price.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1901 on: June 20, 2022, 04:15:17 AM »
First time I played FF7 and Janie (* Aerith) died in the cutscene I thought, no matter I have tons of Phoenix Downs left....

* Does anyone else miss the ability to rename your characters.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1902 on: June 20, 2022, 06:52:55 AM »
Played through a bunch of next fest games on Steam and found some really fun stuff, namely Angry Foot which is like a 3d Hotline Miami.

Also I got an email that Honey (browser plugin) has a $40 off coupon for xbox s. $50 for xbox x

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1903 on: June 21, 2022, 02:43:48 PM »

Having never played the original, I'm personally fine either way. If they'd stuck with the original story, then I would have been able to see what all the fuss is about. However, I don't have any expectations, so the remixed story works fine too. Seems that just sticking with the original story would have made the most people happy, but I guess we'll see what they end up doing. Fingers crossed!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1904 on: June 21, 2022, 03:16:54 PM »
I never finished the original FFVII or the remake. :lol  Story of my gaming life.  However, I did finish FFX.  IMO, that's still the best one.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1905 on: June 22, 2022, 08:05:45 AM »

Having never played the original, I'm personally fine either way. If they'd stuck with the original story, then I would have been able to see what all the fuss is about. However, I don't have any expectations, so the remixed story works fine too. Seems that just sticking with the original story would have made the most people happy, but I guess we'll see what they end up doing. Fingers crossed!

Remixed is good, I expect that, especially since it is split up in several games. I don't think I am the type that minds deviation from the source material, wether it is Marvel or Lord of the Rings. I even loved/liked Game of Thrones s5-7.

My problem here is that they seem to be going to the alternate timeline angle where the original timeline is a feature within the story. It seems they are going to Kingdom Hearts it. And the writers behind this made meme masterpieces like Crisis Core, Final Fantasy X-2.5 and Paradise Stranger. Seriously the main writer is the guy behind the worst FF stories out there. If the main writing team of FFXIV was full in on this, I would be way less concerned about a plot like this.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1906 on: June 22, 2022, 08:18:59 AM »
I got the new TNMT game last weekend and my gf and I did a complete play through (on chill level) which was a lot of fun.  Very nostalgic of course.  I wouldnt be surprised if I do my playthroughs with my friends who also picked up the game for the switch.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1907 on: June 22, 2022, 10:55:26 AM »
Finished 1st play thru of Sniper Elite 5 on Medium (Sharpshooter difficulty).  Then proceeded to play thru a 2nd time on the easiest difficulty just to clean up on any missed collectables.  Yes, there are some annoying glitches but they don't break the game.  I expect these to be fixed in an update that has yet to be released.  Now, playing thru a 3rd time on Hard (Sniper Elite difficulty) without having to bother with collectables and have a pretty good feel for all the missions.  I think like this will prepare me better for the Axis Invasion mode which I only tried once and it ended quickly.  :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1908 on: June 23, 2022, 08:31:38 AM »
Me in February: "Might as well buy a gaming PC now, how likely is it the GPU prices are going to come down in the near future?"

Me today: "Oh."
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1909 on: June 23, 2022, 08:33:43 AM »
Me in February: "Might as well buy a gaming PC now, how likely is it the GPU prices are going to come down in the near future?"

:lol yeah but what can you do?  It is crazy to see how the prices are dropping so hard right now due to the crypto crash.  And if anyone is wondering, I overspent on my GPU so I got screwed in all this too.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1910 on: June 23, 2022, 08:39:22 AM »
Checked the same model I bought, and the price came down from 10k SEK to 7.5k SEK since I bought it. Ah well!

Online faizoff

« Reply #1911 on: June 23, 2022, 08:56:19 AM »

:lol yeah but what can you do?  It is crazy to see how the prices are dropping so hard right now due to the crypto crash.  And if anyone is wondering, I overspent on my GPU so I got screwed in all this too.

I'm quite surprised by this too. Didn't expect inventory to shoot up and prices to fall this much in such a short span of time. When I got an email the other day from Newegg on price cuts to some of their GPUs, I had to make sure I wasn't dreaming.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1912 on: June 23, 2022, 08:58:38 AM »
Are consoles falling too?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1913 on: June 23, 2022, 09:03:36 AM »

We won't see that until demand cools off. PS5s still sell out in minutes whenever there is a restock. I don't think we'll see a price reduction on those for some time, especially seeing as they still cost the same as they did when they were released despite all the inflation that's happened in the time since.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1914 on: June 23, 2022, 09:04:24 AM »

I am so happy I got rid of my 2080 when I did, I sold it for 150 less than what I paid for my 3080

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1915 on: June 23, 2022, 09:04:43 AM »

Sony and MS expect supply problems to persist until 2024, so I would imagine not.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1916 on: June 23, 2022, 09:06:09 AM »

I haven't kept up with the pricing as much but I think the availability is slightly better.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1917 on: June 23, 2022, 09:30:08 AM »
Here, the second hand market for the Series X is close to the MSRP and the PS5 has become more affordable (as in, 600+ euro instead of 1000+). Both sell out at the regular stores quickly, but it seems a shift is coming (perhaps also because no lockdowns anymore and people have other financial priorities). Sony said they soon will be able to produce more units.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1918 on: June 23, 2022, 02:38:05 PM »

I'm quite surprised by this too. Didn't expect inventory to shoot up and prices to fall this much in such a short span of time. When I got an email the other day from Newegg on price cuts to some of their GPUs, I had to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Does anyone know of reliable sites to buy custom gaming PCs from? I think it's about time for me to get a quality rig but I couldn't be bothered to assemble it myself. Wondering if maybe there will be some price cuts I can take advantage of.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 06:08:50 AM by TheOutlawXanadu »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1919 on: June 23, 2022, 02:58:23 PM »
Where are you based?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1920 on: June 23, 2022, 06:05:59 PM »

Does anyone know of reliable sites to but custom gaming PCs from? I think it's about time for me to get a quality rig but I couldn't be bothered to assemble it myself. Wondering if maybe there will be some price cuts I can take advantage of.

I bought a pre-built Cyber Power PC off Amazon 3 ish years ago and couldn't be happier. I upgraded it to 16GB of ram after the fact, but anyone with fingers can do that with ease. You can usually save a few hundred bucks on Prime Day and Cyber Monday
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 05:33:18 AM by Chino »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1921 on: June 24, 2022, 06:09:21 AM »
Where are you based?
I'm in North Carolina. You know, where Hef lives. :hefdaddy

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1922 on: June 24, 2022, 08:55:21 AM »
Where are you based?
I'm in North Carolina. You know, where Hef lives. :hefdaddy

I've heard good things about ibuypower:

https://www.ibuypower.com/

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1923 on: June 26, 2022, 05:22:19 PM »
After running through Elden Ring and DS3 I decided to calm down with a heavily modded Stardew Valley run. After about a month and a half I finally got 100% so I'm done with that game for awhile. Started Prey a few days ago and I'm addicted. Arkane may be one of my favorite studios after doing a Dishonored series playthrough a couple months back. I need to get Deathloop next although I know Harvey Smith wasn't behind that.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #1924 on: June 29, 2022, 08:11:14 AM »
Just picked up Mega Man 11 for the Switch recently.  I love a lot of Mega Man games, but some of them are really hard.  Mega Man 3 is one of my favorite all time games.  11 is really fun, and the option to change the difficulty is a great feature.  The slow down gear is really cool too, and it really helps with tricky parts.  This game is definitely a worthy addition to the Mega Man series.