Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 166866 times)

Offline Melphina

Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #1575 on: March 14, 2022, 05:03:39 PM »
PS5 set up. They weren't kidding about how huge this thing is. I got a charging station for 2 controllers, an extra (purple) controller, and also just ordered a media remote and black cover skin for it. Horizon downloading. Nice to see my PS4 games still there however I only just now realized I don't think save data backs up to the cloud? At least I don't think mine ever did. And I wiped the external I used for my PS4. Whoops. Good excuse to play through them again I guess.

Might throw down some change on upgrading games like GTA5, Spiderman etc to the 5 version cause why not

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1576 on: March 14, 2022, 06:50:46 PM »
PS5 set up. They weren't kidding about how huge this thing is. I got a charging station for 2 controllers, an extra (purple) controller, and also just ordered a media remote and black cover skin for it. Horizon downloading. Nice to see my PS4 games still there however I only just now realized I don't think save data backs up to the cloud? At least I don't think mine ever did. And I wiped the external I used for my PS4. Whoops. Good excuse to play through them again I guess.

Might throw down some change on upgrading games like GTA5, Spiderman etc to the 5 version cause why not

Do you have a Playstation + membership? I think cloud saving comes with it.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1577 on: March 14, 2022, 07:36:45 PM »

Do you have a Playstation + membership? I think cloud saving comes with it.

Ah, that might explain it then. No, I almost play exclusively single player stuff outside of a few Nintendo games so I avoided all the online stuff with the PS4 except the basic store.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1578 on: March 15, 2022, 07:13:00 AM »
I had my PS4 Pro and my PS5 attached to the same network and just simply transferred my save games directly. I took about an hour.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1579 on: March 15, 2022, 07:31:45 AM »
Horizon Forbidden West talk:

So once I got all the game specific tools from the main quest, I've been going back and clearing out old side quest and generally free roaming. I've also done quite a bit of farming for upgrade materials. It's all been great fun, but I've clearly out leveled most of the content. I'm now level 40 and doing stuff intended for level 25 which works out okay for me (since I'm not really a very good gamer) but I have to wonder why the developers design games this way. Why give so much experience points, and skill points for random combat encounters and side quests? It's not as glaring a problem with this game, I think, since the giant machines are terrifying regardless of your power level (I'm looking at you Rockbreaker), but I suspect that very soon I'm going to have to consider bumping up the difficulty to hard in order to have that edge-of-the-seat intensity that we all enjoy. It must be way worse for players who stick to the main quests and save all this for endgame.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1580 on: March 15, 2022, 07:38:53 AM »
Horizon Forbidden West talk:

So once I got all the game specific tools from the main quest, I've been going back and clearing out old side quest and generally free roaming. I've also done quite a bit of farming for upgrade materials. It's all been great fun, but I've clearly out leveled most of the content. I'm now level 40 and doing stuff intended for level 25 which works out okay for me (since I'm not really a very good gamer) but I have to wonder why the developers design games this way. Why give so much experience points, and skill points for random combat encounters and side quests? It's not as glaring a problem with this game, I think, since the giant machines are terrifying regardless of your power level (I'm looking at you Rockbreaker), but I suspect that very soon I'm going to have to consider bumping up the difficulty to hard in order to have that edge-of-the-seat intensity that we all enjoy. It must be way worse for players who stick to the main quests and save all this for endgame.

The first time I played Skyrim, I was all over the place. I'd spend days on the main quest, only to not revisit it until days or weeks later. It made following the story kind complicated because I'd forget stuff. When I bought the remaster on PS4, I got the flu really bad. I spent 3 or 4 days just hunting and raiding the camps of giants and leveled out all my archer stats to max status. It was then I started doing the main quest for the second time. I was able to walk right through it. I kind of loved it. I had already put 200+ hours into the game and saw what it had to offer, so I didn't feel like I was missing out on anytyhing. Being able to just walk through the game way overpowered allowed me to watch it like a movie. It was a totally different experience. There were no frustrations. No having to stop and grind because I was too weak to get somewhere. Nothing like that. I thought it was great.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1581 on: March 15, 2022, 08:10:59 AM »
This is a problem most open world games with RPG elements have, unfortunately.

Breath of the Wild for me was the most significant one in recent times. It was quite challenging at first and it made exploration exciting to me. Some enemy camps really needed to be approached with care and the game mechanics allow for you to approach them in many ways. About halfway into the game I did not die a single time anymore, just me and my sword(s) barging in was enough.
The stamina management also brought tension to the climbing mechanics. Early game you really need to look at the structures you want to climb and see if you can find a route. Later on, a lot of the climbing was reduced to just pushing the analog stick upwards and waiting (and sometimes consuming an item when the meter was running low).

I don't need games to be difficult, but difficulty does have a huge impact on the experience. When easy becomes mindless and allows you to ignore most gameplay mechanics, it becomes a bit of a problem for me.

I will say both Cyberpunk (patch 1.5) and Elden Ring seem to do well in this regard (I do a decent amount of sidecontent).

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1582 on: March 15, 2022, 11:56:32 AM »
I literally spent an hour yesterday on one side quest in HFW.  :corn  I swear if you didn't have anything else to play, HFW will keep you busy for weeks.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1583 on: March 15, 2022, 11:59:59 AM »
It's all about making the leveling accessible and rewarding for the general public.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1584 on: March 15, 2022, 04:12:46 PM »
Maybe it's my TV but I notice a lot of blur when I move around in HFW. Like if I want a super crisp image of the environment I have to move the camera really slow, like my eyes can't keep up with this level of graphics  :lol. I have game mode turned on, it seems better with it turned off but I can feel the input latency on this title when I do that. Maybe it's my cheap 55", after all it is a TCL. But woooow what a beautiful game. Combat remains challenging and I'm trying to remember the crazy number of controls but it's everything I wanted it to be so far.

Spent 7 bucks last night and got Metal Gear Solid 5 and Dragon Age Inquisition (again) too.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1585 on: March 16, 2022, 03:23:32 AM »
Maybe it's my TV but I notice a lot of blur when I move around in HFW. Like if I want a super crisp image of the environment I have to move the camera really slow, like my eyes can't keep up with this level of graphics  :lol. I have game mode turned on, it seems better with it turned off but I can feel the input latency on this title when I do that. Maybe it's my cheap 55", after all it is a TCL. But woooow what a beautiful game. Combat remains challenging and I'm trying to remember the crazy number of controls but it's everything I wanted it to be so far.

Spent 7 bucks last night and got Metal Gear Solid 5 and Dragon Age Inquisition (again) too.

See if there are options for motion blur. Some games have it way overboard, making it a blurry mess when you move the camera. If you have the option to select performance mode and turn off motion blur, that generally should give the most clarity. Most modern games give you these options.

If other games are fine, it is likely not your tv.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1586 on: March 16, 2022, 05:47:34 AM »
If you have the option to select performance mode and turn off motion blur, that generally should give the most clarity. Most modern games give you these options.

Yeah, definitely put HFW in performance mode. You won't really notice any loss of fidelity, but the combat will go smoother. There is an option in game for adjusting motion blur. I've seen it, but haven't touched it.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1587 on: March 16, 2022, 11:47:44 AM »
That did the trick, thank you fellas. I always get weird with a new game wondering if I have the right settings on either the game or the TV itself and eventually I lose the ability to tell after adjusting for so long.

Also bought the PS5 GTA5. Can't stop won't stop.  :lol

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1588 on: March 16, 2022, 11:53:02 AM »
I just got Elden Ring today, and it is downloading as I speak. I really enjoyed Dark Souls III, Bloodborne, and (what I've played of) Sekiro, so hopefully I'll enjoy this one, too!

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1589 on: March 16, 2022, 10:13:42 PM »
I also bought Elden Ring, because I just can't stop myself.  :lol I decided to splurge since my tax return hit today, so I got the deluxe edition with the digital artbook and OST. And it JUST finished downloading so... gonna go get my ass kicked for a little bit before more Horizon :2metal:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1590 on: March 17, 2022, 01:56:04 AM »
Been using K&M in Elden Ring but yesterday I started using my controller. I suck with a controller but I see so many play with it so I figured i'll give it a try.
I stumbled upon Beastly the clergyman following a quest and choose to fight him, holy shit did he murder me in a flash. I found out later I was only suppose to talk to him not fight.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: March 17, 2022, 05:41:42 AM »
While playing HFW yesterday, I got a message that Update 1.08 had been downloaded and did I want to install. Sure. It was a quick update and I was quickly back into playing and then...

Maybe it's my TV but I notice a lot of blur when I move around in HFW. Like if I want a super crisp image of the environment I have to move the camera really slow, like my eyes can't keep up with this level of graphics  :lol.

I had to go to the setting and turn off motion blur. Fuck, now they're breaking the game with updates?!  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1592 on: March 20, 2022, 06:07:20 AM »
I HATE Shellsnappers!! That is all...

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1593 on: March 20, 2022, 07:16:16 AM »
Get the Ukraine humble bundle
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1594 on: March 20, 2022, 01:01:45 PM »
I finally took down Tree-Sentinel in Elden Ring with Scholar's Armament and Wild Strikes, that's just a nasty combo.  :lol

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1595 on: March 20, 2022, 01:10:52 PM »
I finally took down Tree-Sentinel in Elden Ring with Scholar's Armament and Wild Strikes, that's just a nasty combo.  :lol

I unintentionally missed Tree Sentinel, and never ended up fighting him until just today. My strategy was a lot simpler than yours seems to be; I rode on horseback and attacked with a sword. Halfway through the fight, Torrent lost all its HP, so I just attacked him on foot with nothing but a sword, shield, and lots of dodging. The more fancy techniques like magic and the Ashes of War seem to be really useful, but as of right now I find I'm getting by just fine with my current setup.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1596 on: March 20, 2022, 02:24:52 PM »
Has anyone played Elden ring on the previous generation consoles? If so, is it decent enough not to upgrade to PS5 or the new xbox?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1597 on: March 20, 2022, 02:32:43 PM »

I unintentionally missed Tree Sentinel, and never ended up fighting him until just today. My strategy was a lot simpler than yours seems to be; I rode on horseback and attacked with a sword. Halfway through the fight, Torrent lost all its HP, so I just attacked him on foot with nothing but a sword, shield, and lots of dodging. The more fancy techniques like magic and the Ashes of War seem to be really useful, but as of right now I find I'm getting by just fine with my current setup.
Nice, that's what's so great about this game. So many diffrent ways to fight the bosses. I love how sometimes you feel so secure on Torrent until you meet an enemy that just obliterate your horse and you're suddenly stranded infront of a beast.  :lol

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1598 on: March 20, 2022, 04:09:14 PM »
https://youtu.be/LSyRf8rAjTs

Accurate. And hilarious.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1599 on: March 20, 2022, 04:54:11 PM »

Accurate. And hilarious.
Oh my god!  :rollin

This was my experience when I tried Dark Souls...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1600 on: March 21, 2022, 06:07:52 AM »
 :lol :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1601 on: March 21, 2022, 07:22:55 AM »
Seems about right  :P

I will say some bosses seem to think they are in Bloodborne or even Sekiro but with my slow moveset in this game it can be hard to find a window of oppertunity. My typical Dark Souls playstyle does not feel super compatible with this game (bigass sword and no shield, just rolling and hitting). I had to incorporate archery and summons into it. But there are so many build options. I am certain that if I truly hit a wall and good old levelling does not work, I can look up some gameplay/build tips and come back with a vengeance.

Also, do not sleep on summons. Or the new shield parry (guard counter, from the safety of blocking), which I don't use but I saw a friend obliterating a small boss with it.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1602 on: March 21, 2022, 09:49:45 AM »
During lockdown last year I dusted of my old xbox 360, which I hadn't used for maybe ten years. Played a couple of weeks and it broke down.  :yeahright Was able to get my hands on a Xbox One, the series X just wasn't in stock and/or affordable at that time.

Most of the games I have are a couple years old. And I've finally started GTA IV, as I was a big fan of Vice City and San Andreas. But I'm not really feeling it, too dark and that Bellic character just isn't my thing.

Question: Does it get better? And how is GTA V in comparison to IV and VC/SA?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1603 on: March 21, 2022, 10:01:49 AM »

I was never really big on GTA4. I don't think it's bad but it's one of my least favorites in the main series of GTA games. It does get better. Ballad of Gay Tony is actually really really good too.

GTA5 is the best in the series imo and I don't even play online. I like the story beats (except when it involves Lazlow, which is thankfully not much), the characters are great (Michael is a douche, but Franklin is cool and Trevor is an absolute psychopath, a microcosm of GTA in all its brutal insanity). The driving is incredible and the game is beautiful. The talk radio is as funny as the Vice City talk radio which is my favorite in the series. And it controls great. Highly recommended, I've bought it numerous times.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1604 on: March 21, 2022, 10:02:47 AM »

Accurate. And hilarious.

OMG!  That is so goddamn funny!   :lol  :rollin  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1605 on: March 21, 2022, 06:33:52 PM »

GTA V is vastly better than IV imo. Probably the best in the series, but I found myself replaying VC and GTA III way more. GTA V is still a must play though

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1606 on: March 21, 2022, 06:44:59 PM »

I will say some bosses seem to think they are in Bloodborne or even Sekiro but with my slow moveset in this game it can be hard to find a window of oppertunity. My typical Dark Souls playstyle does not feel super compatible with this game (bigass sword and no shield, just rolling and hitting). I had to incorporate archery and summons into it. But there are so many build options. I am certain that if I truly hit a wall and good old levelling does not work, I can look up some gameplay/build tips and come back with a vengeance.

Also, do not sleep on summons. Or the new shield parry (guard counter, from the safety of blocking), which I don't use but I saw a friend obliterating a small boss with it.
I find the corpses to be very useful since they reanimate, it's also handy to level them up which I didn't know you could do until yesterday.

I defeated both Margit and Godrick today which feels nice. The one boss I found so far that's just destroys me is Leonine Misbegotten, he's so fast in his movements. I think I need a build with more agility since i'm running around in full armor.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1607 on: March 21, 2022, 07:24:03 PM »
Hoo boy that animation was accurate. What a brutal night of huge embarrassing failures.  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1608 on: March 22, 2022, 04:41:50 AM »
Elden Ring is filled to the brim with secrets. I love how you sometimes feel like you are going beyond the borders of the intended leveldesign only to find a big, fully designed level hidden away.

I find the corpses to be very useful since they reanimate, it's also handy to level them up which I didn't know you could do until yesterday.

I defeated both Margit and Godrick today which feels nice. The one boss I found so far that's just destroys me is Leonine Misbegotten, he's so fast in his movements. I think I need a build with more agility since i'm running around in full armor.

Yeah, that is the one I use as well. Did not know you can upgrade them, nice. But as is the summons have trivialised some bosses for me. I died a grand total of three times in the entirety of the academy, only once to the final boss and that was a draw. I did find out that a draw with a bossfight is a win for you ultimately.

That's funny, it is interesting how different bosses are diffcult to different people. I took Leonine first try without summons and all, before I did Stormveil. A friend of mine is also struggling with him. But I am always weird in these games. In Sekiro I died a million times to the raging bull and especially both forms of the monk, but I took care of Isshin and especially Owl quite swiftly. And my Isshin deaths were almost all in the Genichiro phase.

And please tell me you don't have heavy load? (you have three rolling speeds I believe, based on how much % of your max equipment load you are using, in my experience mid load is sufficient).

Hoo boy that animation was accurate. What a brutal night of huge embarrassing failures.  :lol

Keep in mind that all areas have enemies that are best fought later on. This is the most RPG-like From Software game to date, levelling and upgrading makes a massive difference. Just sneak past them or run in a different direction. And always thread with care, use a bow or rock to attracts enemies individually. Don't take on groups. Carefully exploring and assessing risks is always key. This game really does offer you a lot of tools soon that can help a huge deal. But yes, initially almost everything is lethal  :P

And I don't know what class you started, but some start with heavy load, making rolling super slow (see my reply above in this post). In that case, equip something lighter or just remove your helmet or something.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1609 on: March 22, 2022, 08:20:23 AM »
Glad to see a good amount of HFW talk here. I took a break after 20ish hours of HFW to play Elden Ring, but I'm going back to HFW because, frankly, I'm not enjoying my time with Elden Ring at all. I'm no stranger to From games (I've completed Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls 3), but something about this one just feels like a step in a direction that's gone a bit too far.

HFW, by contrast, feels like a totally polished, next-gen experience. And, more importantly, I can play it an hour or so per night, and know that at least I'll be able to accomplish something.