Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 147935 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: The TAC Top 30
« Reply #2730 on: February 16, 2021, 08:04:53 AM »
Well, I actually came up with a Top 10 song list. No order or write-ups yet, but it's something. I might add a few thoughts to some of them and I think I can, at least, list the top 3 in order. The rest will probably be in no particular order. More of a Top 3 songs with 7 or 8 other favorites kind of thing. Been busy so need to work on the doing some write-up stuff.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2731 on: February 16, 2021, 07:28:47 PM »
UFO

17 Drink Too Much  (The Monkey Puzzle)

Probably another surprise here, but this song is amazing.

Michael Schenker

18 Get Out   (Perfect Timing)

I was so pumped when Michael resurfaced with Robin McAuley on Perfect Timing. The problem was, the album is so lame. But it did have this standout rocker.

Another great choice, along with Back to My Life - Both didn't make my top 30, I guess because I've leaned toward the more rocker side of UFO. UFO always made great ballads, I love so many of them and they are so different one from another.

Also, I'm not much a fan of McAuley Shencker's phase, but, thanks to this thread I discovered this wonderful track! :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2732 on: February 16, 2021, 07:38:32 PM »
I have an affinity for Time On My Hands too. There’s something about it.

It sets a great mood. And that solo!

EDIT:  The latter half of "Rock You To The Ground" IS pretty killer.   

Hell yes! :metal

Well, I actually came up with a Top 10 song list. No order or write-ups yet, but it's something. I might add a few thoughts to some of them and I think I can, at least, list the top 3 in order. The rest will probably be in no particular order. More of a Top 3 songs with 7 or 8 other favorites kind of thing. Been busy so need to work on the doing some write-up stuff.

You've got a couple of weeks and the floor is yours...

UFO

17 Drink Too Much  (The Monkey Puzzle)

Probably another surprise here, but this song is amazing.

Michael Schenker

18 Get Out   (Perfect Timing)

I was so pumped when Michael resurfaced with Robin McAuley on Perfect Timing. The problem was, the album is so lame. But it did have this standout rocker.

Another great choice, along with Back to My Life - Both didn't make my top 30, I guess because I've leaned toward the more rocker side of UFO. UFO always made great ballads, I love so many of them and they are so different one from another.

Also, I'm not much a fan of McAuley Shencker's phase, but, thanks to this thread I discovered this wonderful track! :metal

I'm glad people are finding out about Drink Too Much. It's an amazing song.

And Get Out rocks!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2733 on: February 16, 2021, 08:47:51 PM »
For some reason, the Paul Chapman tribute showed up on my Youtube feed. It's 7 hours long. It has some hokey local cover bands playing music interspersed with some tribute messages.

I have this queued up to Phil Mogg/Andy Parker/Neil Carter.
https://youtu.be/N4eYLE3Nu9o?t=14285 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2734 on: February 16, 2021, 11:46:36 PM »
For some reason, the Paul Chapman tribute showed up on my Youtube feed. It's 7 hours long. It has some hokey local cover bands playing music interspersed with some tribute messages.

I have this queued up to Phil Mogg/Andy Parker/Neil Carter.
https://youtu.be/N4eYLE3Nu9o?t=14285

I just started listening to the Martin Popoff podcast series. I noticed that there is an episode about Paul Chapman (episode 51).

http://www.martinpopoff.com/html/podcast.html

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2735 on: February 17, 2021, 04:51:50 AM »
Thanks Zoom, I'll check that out today. I have the Popoff books on UFO. He actually prefers the Chapman Era and rates Assault Attack as the best album under the entire UFO Family Tree.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2736 on: February 17, 2021, 01:34:05 PM »
Out in the Street - Definitely one that grew on me with Strangers.  Another one that just missed the cut on my list too.  I just love Phil's vocal melodies on this.  They are all sublime.  The keyboard work is of course amazing too.  Schenkers solo as you say mate elevates the song again.

Wild One - Nice tune.  Vinnie rips all over this track.  I love the chorus too, very melodic.  The interplay is fabulous too.

Time On My Hands - This song is fine.  Nice song but not one of my fav.  The chorus melody is nice and Schenker's solo is class.  Interesting pick.

Rock You to the Ground - I love this song.  I love everything about it.  The heavy yet bluesy verses have such a killer groove and I love Graham's vocals.  Nice contrast in the chorus and the build back into the main verse and then the solo is amazing.  Graham at 3:18 with what Schenker is doing is just incredible.  As you said Tim, you'd be timestamping every 15 seconds of this solo.  It's a song within a song.  I'd like to add I love the structure of the song.  Love that verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo to end.  Class tune and I wish too it didn't fade where it does.

But I Want More - This is a great song.  As you say Tim, the arrangement is indeed interesting. I love that riff behind that rocking verse part.  Great solo at 3:19.  And great outro also.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2737 on: February 17, 2021, 02:12:31 PM »
SITN arrived today, listening now.  :heart

Wasn’t expecting it for a few weeks given the estimated delivery date was March - April.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2738 on: February 17, 2021, 02:23:30 PM »
Not sure if you are aware but you have to post pics! ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2739 on: February 17, 2021, 03:13:59 PM »
Time On My Hands - This song is fine.  Nice song but not one of my fav.  The chorus melody is nice and Schenker's solo is class.  Interesting pick.

That solo is is probably the most pleasant minute of music these ears have ever heard. I have never gotten tired of it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2740 on: February 17, 2021, 05:17:07 PM »

Haha, this.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2741 on: February 17, 2021, 05:17:39 PM »

That solo is is probably the most pleasant minute of music these ears have ever heard. I have never gotten tired of it.

Hmmm....I'll listen again more closely.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2742 on: February 17, 2021, 06:03:02 PM »
Thanks Zoom, I'll check that out today. I have the Popoff books on UFO. He actually prefers the Chapman Era and rates Assault Attack as the best album under the entire UFO Family Tree.

Interesting.  That is some high praise indeed for Assault Attack.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2743 on: February 17, 2021, 06:36:46 PM »

Interesting.  That is some high praise indeed for Assault Attack.

It's up there for me.  Not the best, but could crack top 5.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2744 on: February 17, 2021, 07:41:40 PM »
UFO

12 Borderline   (High Stakes And Dangerous Men)

I mentioned ITT about how I came upon High Stakes. Having Pete and Phil back together was great.
After a number of years, just hearing Phil in the intro was comforting.
Phil presents us with another character. Something about it reminds me Deisel In The Dust. Maybe it's the trucks..

Well, the song really gets underway and it rocks. I love the "One step closer to the Devil" line. Love Laurence Archer's licks over the second chorus leading into a really nice solo at 2:45.
This song has a great arrangement, adding a secoind solo just after the 4:00 minute mark. And Phil's final "Borderline"s at the end are real emphatic.

Great tune and I also want to mention drummer Clive Edwards. He's excellent on this.

11 One More For The Rodeo   (Obsession)

Now here's a song that gets me going. Phil's crazy lyrics. Schenker going ridiculously crazy.

I've always loved this song straight off. Kind of hidden in the back of the album but this song rules.

Believe it or not, this is an uncredited Paul Raymond track.

Something about Phil and Michael. They both shine in a pretty straightforward song. They really elevate it into something special. That closing Schenker outro is magnificent.

30 History Of Flames
29 Stranger In Town
28 Call My Name/All Over You
27 Who's Fooling Who
26 Fool's Gold
25 On With The Action
24 Gone In The Night
23 Name Of Love
22 Lonely Heart
21 You Don't Fool Me
20 Back Into My Life
19 Let It Roll
18 Wreckless
17 Drink Too Much
16 Self Made Man
15 Out In The Street
14 The Wild One
13 Time On My Hands
12 Borderline
11 One More For The Rodeo

Michael Schenker

13 Rock My Nights Away  (Built To Destroy)

Another Built To Destroy track?? Yup!

Real interesting Schenker intro. Has an 80's vibe for sure. But that's ok.

The verse is fine, but it's the chorus that really stands out to me. This song has a lot of energy, especially live. It's a happy song.

I really like the solo. Starts off understated and then goes classic Schenker. It's a brief solo but the outro pays it off.

12 In Search Of The Peace Of Mind  (Immortal)

Classic track redone on Immortal.

This is a phenomenal track and is the leader in the clubhouse for SOTY.

He uses his vocalists in just the right spots and really builds and modernizes the original. And of course the extended solo to close it out.

11 Assault Attack  (Assault Attack)

I remember getting Assault Attack when it came out. It punches you in the face right away.

The production jumps out, as well as the McKenna/Glen rhythm section. You can here each person clearly, including the bass.

And of course there's Graham Bonnet. He's fucking awesome one this. This might be one of the best songs he's ever sang on.

I love the breakdown at 2:00, and at 2:23, Schenker in all his glory. And whatever he does at 2:50 to bring you back, it's sick.

As heavy as this track is, it doesn't have a scorching lead. I think that's interesting. And for just a 4 minute song, it feels way more epic than its length.

30 Bittersweet
29 Cry For The Nations
28 The Dogs Of War
27 Good Times
26 Land Of Thunder
25 Dance For The Piper
24 Samurai
23 Live And Let Live
22 Red Sky
21 Armed And Ready
20 Shine On
19 Under A Blood Red Sky
18 Get Out
17 Rock Will Never Die
16 Horizons
15 Rock You To The Ground
14 But I want More
13 Rock My Nights Away
12 In Search Of The Peace Of Mind
11 Assault Attack

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2745 on: February 18, 2021, 06:48:56 PM »
UFO

12 Borderline   (High Stakes And Dangerous Men)

Great tune and I also want to mention drummer Clive Edwards. He's excellent on this.

11 One More For The Rodeo   (Obsession)

Schenker going ridiculously crazy.

Believe it or not, this is an uncredited Paul Raymond track.

That closing Schenker outro is magnificent.
Michael Schenker

12 In Search Of The Peace Of Mind  (Immortal)

I totally love Boderline, amazing opener! Clive is really good on that, also great drum sound on this album.

Really great to know that about One More For the Rodeo! It's hard to imagine a demo version of it without Schenker soloing the entire song.
I wonder if Paul Raymond recorded some rhythm guitars on Obsession, since Michael Schenker was already a bit unstable in the band at the time.

Hum, so Immortal is counting... or it was just a way to include In Search of the Peace of Mind here?  ;) Anyway, to me, it's best version of this song, no doubt!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2746 on: February 18, 2021, 08:31:45 PM »
Well, not sure if Immortal is counting, but In Search Of The Peace Of Mind definitely is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2747 on: February 18, 2021, 08:47:13 PM »
He is fucking beautiful! :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xra4w6hO7ZU

"Rudolf knew zero English." :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2748 on: February 18, 2021, 09:11:34 PM »

awesome!!!

I saw MSG a few times including with Gary   ,  no words needed   amazing 
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2749 on: February 18, 2021, 11:25:18 PM »

Where is this conversation between God and the devil that he references in the lyrics? I hear nothing that can be interpreted that way.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2750 on: February 19, 2021, 04:22:03 AM »

Where is this conversation between God and the devil that he references in the lyrics? I hear nothing that can be interpreted that way.  :lol

He was referring to the solo.  He said the solo sounds like a conversation to him.  Not sure how but he certainly has a creative mind.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2751 on: February 19, 2021, 04:34:30 AM »
Borderline - I'll need to revisit this album but this was a highlight.  Listening to the tune again now, I totally get the Deisel in the Dust thing.  It's a rocking song, and the chorus is great.  Archer may feel a bit foreign with his style, but the dude can play.

Rodeo - Similary placed in my list, love it.

Rock My Nights - I actually quite like this one.  The Madrid version is cool.  I quite like the AOR keyboards in this one and it's catchy with a nice groove.  Still have to revisit this album.

Peace of Mind - I checked out the original not long ago as Michael always mentions it.  Didn't think much of it truthfully, but this remake has opened it up.  The outro solo is exactly what the song needed IMO.  Epic song, great performances.

AA - First thing I noticed too Tim with this song was the lack of solo.  That is interesting.  One of Schenkers rare metal moments but this kicks ass.  Great riffing and great groove in the verse.  Great kickoff to a great album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2752 on: February 19, 2021, 11:16:34 AM »
can’t remember how!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2753 on: February 19, 2021, 11:25:45 AM »

He was referring to the solo.  He said the solo sounds like a conversation to him.  Not sure how but he certainly has a creative mind.

Oh, okay. I’ll have to re-listen to the solo to see what he is talking about. Such a great song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2754 on: February 21, 2021, 06:31:32 PM »
UFO

10 Dreaming  (Mechanix)

I was listening to a ton of UFO when I was 15, 16, 17 years old. And Phil's songs really spoke to me. Dreaming is another one of those songs. Kids hanging out, by the beach....dreaming. I felt like I was living in this song.
It's a great song in and of itself, but this song is really meaningful to me. I wouldn't trade my teen years with anyone, and this song really epitomizes that time.

As far as the song, Paul Chapman starts this off in grand form. Phil has an energetic delivery and he sounds great here.

I like the chorus, and I air drum Andy bringing us to the second verse.

I love the "oh yeah" leading into the solo. Paul does a great job here.

Love the vocal outro with Neil Carter singing off Phil. Just a great song all the way around.

9 Doing It All For You  (Mechanix)

Another story from Phil, this time about a two bit criminal, a getaway driver, who is looking to provide for his girl.

An interesting intro, almost stalking like. I love the narrative in the first verse leading to the chorus which is quite interestingly different to the pacing and angst of the verse. It's him telling his girl "This time I'm coming through."

I love the second verse:

"I said I'm burning, I been rolling
This car's tuned up to make it fly
Don't worry darling just get ready
Tonight we're gonna be going out in style
If anyone comes calling around
Don't answer 'cause you're my alibi
So just trust me, kiss me and love me
We're chasing the Golden Mile"

I totally love the line, "Tonight we're gonna be going out in style". One of my favorite lines in the catalog.

The breakdown at 2:06 is fantastic right before Paul's actual solo. The main solo kicks in at 2:34 and I love Paul's tone to start it. Love the Schenker styled jump at 2:49.

Phil sings the final chorus quite dreamily leading into an incredible outro section. 70 seconds of Chapman/Carter goodness. That part still gives me goosebumps.

30 History Of Flames
29 Stranger In Town
28 Call My Name/All Over You
27 Who's Fooling Who
26 Fool's Gold
25 On With The Action
24 Gone In The Night
23 Name Of Love
22 Lonely Heart
21 You Don't Fool Me
20 Back Into My Life
19 Let It Roll
18 Wreckless
17 Drink Too Much
16 Self Made Man
15 Out In The Street
14 The Wild One
13 Time On My Hands
12 Borderline
11 One More For The Rodeo
10 Dreaming
9 Doing It All For You

Michael Schenker

10 Attack Of The Mad Axeman  (MSG)

I remember the first time I heard Attack Of The Mad Axeman. With a title like that I had no idea what to expect. The song itself isn't nearly as scary as the title is.

Early double bass performance from Cozy in the chorus.

The "Time after time" part definitely cought me by surprise. But it's s great part and totally sets uo the solo. Gary's falsetto is a nice touch.

And then the solo! Total Schenker. And of course the money shot at 3:29.

This is such an enjoyable song all the way through. Great performances by all.

9 Save Yourself   (Save Yourself)

This might be Michael's heaviest song. He fucking burns all over this. The intro reminds me of Gary Moore's End Of The World.

His playing to the lead up to the first verse rips, and also between lines.
Robin sounds great here with a great verse. Nice prechorus that sets up a kick ass chorus. Another great lick into the second verse.

The vocals flow quite freely and I like Robin's pacing and delivery. But fuck, those lyrics absolutely blow.

The lead off to the solo at 3:31 is so great (3:40 Yngwie!), but the solo builds at 3:45 and then next level at 4:07. I love that part. And another great outro.

I really wish the McAuley Schenker albums were more like this.

30 Bittersweet
29 Cry For The Nations
28 The Dogs Of War
27 Good Times
26 Land Of Thunder
25 Dance For The Piper
24 Samurai
23 Live And Let Live
22 Red Sky
21 Armed And Ready
20 Shine On
19 Under A Blood Red Sky
18 Get Out
17 Rock Will Never Die
16 Horizons
15 Rock You To The Ground
14 But I want More
13 Rock My Nights Away
12 In Search Of The Peace Of Mind
11 Assault Attack
10 Attack Of The Mad Axeman
9 Save Yourself

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2755 on: February 21, 2021, 06:44:37 PM »
Wowsers!  2 songs from Mechanix in the top 10.  Will revisit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2756 on: February 21, 2021, 06:51:54 PM »
When you revisit Dreaming, think of a 16 y/o TAC. I had a car and a gf. That is a song of youth, which I was lucky enough to experience...in my youth. It has some meaningful lyrics that I always related to it.

And Doing It..great Phil story and vocal. Awesome Chapman solo, and what might be the best outro in the catalog.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2757 on: February 21, 2021, 10:32:57 PM »
I always forget you were experiencing this band in real time.  I'll post some thoughts when I do.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2758 on: February 22, 2021, 05:33:19 AM »
I always forget you were experiencing this band in real time.  I'll post some thoughts when I do.

Hah! I'm not that old. I really just missed them. I was in the 8th grade when I do remember them opening for Ozzy in 1982 . I was 13. They pretty much petered out just as I got into them. But they ended up being my most listened to band in quick order.

I guess MSG was the first album I experienced in real time. I wasn't into Mechanix right away. I do remember Making Contact, Assault Attack, and Vices being released, and I got them all right away.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2759 on: February 22, 2021, 07:25:00 AM »
I did experience MSG in real time, but didn't get into UFO until WAY later (only a couple years ago, really).   But I can so imagine listening to Mechanix on my kick ass car cassette stereo!   :) 

I'm all for two Mechanix songs in the top ten; I might even have one or two more.  "Doing It All For You" is one of my favorite UFO songs of any of the eras. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2760 on: February 22, 2021, 06:16:57 PM »
TAC - Give MP a call and get him in this thread.

https://twitter.com/MikePortnoy/status/1363965405635706883
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2761 on: February 22, 2021, 06:19:56 PM »
 :lol

Even MP knows to post a pic!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2763 on: February 23, 2021, 04:37:52 AM »
Dreaming - Okay, this is a very cool song.  Great transitions between the verse and choruses.  Chapman rips.  I love the frantic start to his solo.  Really good track.  I can see how you love the lyrics of this one Tim.

Doing It All For You - This was nice too.  Definitely have to revisit the album again.  I think at first I wasn't keen on the shift to the chorus, but I'm warming to it.  Love the verses and Chapman rips again.  I actually thought of Schenker too at 2:49.

Mad Axeman - I found the structure of this one weird and I never really took to it to be honest.  Always thought it was a little disjointed.  Not a big fan of the middle quiet section but the last minute and a half is amazing.

Save Yourself - I haven't gotten around to checking this album yet and just listened to this song for the first time.  Brilliant 80's hard rock.  This might be Michaels most technical and fastest work ever.  He has so much speed here, quite surprising.  Great groove, nice and heavy and doesn't let up.  Great tune.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:44:59 AM by wolfking »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2764 on: February 23, 2021, 06:16:54 AM »
Mad Axeman - I found the structure of this one weird and I never really took to it to be honest.  Always thought it was a little disjointed.  Not a big fan of the middle quiet section but the last minute and a half is amazing.

Save Yourself - I haven't gotten around to checking this album yet and just listened to this song for the first time.  Brilliant 80's hard rock.  This might be Michaels most technical and fastest work ever.  He has so much speed here, quite surprising.  Great groove, nice and heavy and doesn't let up.  Great tune.

Having listened to AOTMA for decades, it's hard to imagine it any other was, but the first time I heard it, it had a totally different feel than what I was expecting from its title.

Save Yourself rips. I wish he had more songs like this in his catalog. I really like Drilled To Kill because it has this kind of feel. The McAuley Schenker Group was really quite limp and overall very disappointing.