Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 147957 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: The TAC Top 30
« Reply #2695 on: February 11, 2021, 02:39:27 PM »
I found a copy and it was shipped!!!!   Yay!!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2696 on: February 11, 2021, 08:58:42 PM »
My copy of Immortal has arrived.  :metal  Hopefully can make some time to listen to it today or tomorrow.

I found a copy and it was shipped!!!!   Yay!!!!

Nice! Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Overall, I like it better than the Revelation and Resurrection. Definitely not as good as the two Doogie albums though.

Definitely a good album.

@Bill, I definitely have a KISS thought on one of the songs that I can't unhear.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2697 on: February 12, 2021, 06:50:51 AM »
Soon as I get it I'll let you know!

EDIT:   SO, I finally heard the record.  Hmmm.  I LOVE the Temple of Rock records, I really really like the two Fest records... this isn't that good.   In Search Of... is by FAR the best track on the record.

Tim, what's your question?  I listened to it keeping my ears out for something that sounds like "Kiss", but didn't get it the first time through.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 05:05:08 PM by Stadler »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2698 on: February 12, 2021, 05:11:12 PM »
Fuck, I hate to say this, but I'm up to Queen of Thorns and Roses and I actually think so far this album is pretty shit.  I'm disappointed.  The songs just seem so safe, bland and uninteresting.  :'(

Might need to come back to it.

This album needs Doogie.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2699 on: February 12, 2021, 05:16:30 PM »
Okay, Come on Over is more like it.  That's old school MSG.  Thorns would be killer if it didn't have Voss on it, he fucking sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2700 on: February 12, 2021, 05:21:05 PM »
Okay, Come on Over is more like it.  That's old school MSG.  Thorns would be killer if it didn't have Voss on it, he fucking sucks.

That's it for me; it's the vocalists.  Even Ronnie Romero sounds generic on this.  Love 'em or hate 'em, but when Gary, Graham, Robin and Dougie sing, you KNOW it's them. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2701 on: February 12, 2021, 05:21:55 PM »
Sangria is nice too, even though the verse riff he's ripped himself off directly, just can't pick it.  Peace of Mind is a nice closer.  I'd just listened to this after the amazing new Tribulation, so I'll listen again later or tomorrow and see how it goes second time through.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2702 on: February 12, 2021, 05:23:38 PM »

That's it for me; it's the vocalists.  Even Ronnie Romero sounds generic on this.  Love 'em or hate 'em, but when Gary, Graham, Robin and Dougie sing, you KNOW it's them.

I liked Ralf on the opener but his other song sucked, didn't sound good there.  Don't mind Ronnie actually, but he is generic as fuck here, but thinking the songs don't help.  This would have been so much better with Doogie.  Even Barden a song or two I reckon I could have warmed to.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2703 on: February 12, 2021, 05:24:36 PM »

EDIT:   SO, I finally heard the record.  Hmmm.  I LOVE the Temple of Rock records, I really really like the two Fest records... this isn't that good.   In Search Of... is by FAR the best track on the record.

Tim, what's your question?  I listened to it keeping my ears out for something that sounds like "Kiss", but didn't get it the first time through.

Thought it might have been me.  This doesn't give me any warm feeling I've been feeling from other Schenker stuff so far.  First listen has left me a bit cold.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2704 on: February 12, 2021, 05:25:57 PM »
Is that Doogie on the 'and I try'?  Or is it Robin?  Says both are on the song.  ???

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2705 on: February 12, 2021, 06:38:55 PM »
It's Barden and Romero in the first half. When the song changes, it's Robin doing the "And I know..." part.
I feel like the first two "And I try"s could be Robin, but the third one you can tell it's definitely Doogie.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2706 on: February 12, 2021, 06:45:01 PM »
It's Barden and Romero in the first half. When the song changes, it's Robin doing the "And I know..." part.
I feel like the first two "And I try"s could be Robin, but the third one you can tell it's definitely Doogie.

I'll listen more closely.  That's completely taking the piss out of both of them regarding their involvement on the album but with the song, I get it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2707 on: February 13, 2021, 06:50:41 AM »
Maybe it's just in comparison to the rest of the album, but as much as like the last three or four records, "ISOTPOM" may be the best song from all of them.  That is SO GOOD.   I know I'll listen to Immortal again when I get the hard copy (I listened to a download) even if just to check the CD works, but the rest....   I will say that it gets better as it goes on; the last four songs are okay.  "Drilled To Kill" sounds like my high school band through an AM radio.    :tdwn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2708 on: February 13, 2021, 01:20:57 PM »
Dressed to Kill was one song I actually did quite like.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2709 on: February 13, 2021, 01:32:26 PM »
I ordered the SITN deluxe today. Can’t wait!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2710 on: February 13, 2021, 02:19:50 PM »
I ordered the SITN deluxe today. Can’t wait!

Welcome to the party Paul.  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2711 on: February 13, 2021, 04:21:07 PM »
UFO

17 Drink Too Much  (The Monkey Puzzle)

Probably another surprise here, but this song is amazing.

Really nice intro by Vinnie. Vinnie even interjecting himself in the verses. Phil weaves another interesting tale that draws you into his world with a convincing and emotional delivery.

I love the chorus here. Really classy. I also like how the song has a great pacing to it.

Nice solo here by Vinnie and I love what Vinnie is doing under the chorus at 3:32.

And that last line from Phil to close this out:
"I guess that we've been here before
Oh baby now I think we know the score"

16 Self Made Man  (Walk On Water)

The first time I heard Self Made Man, I wasn't 5 seconds into it and I was already blown away. That opening riff!!

And I love that the band basically comes in early and together. Makes a real statement for a Reunion album.
Love that little lick at :47 before the pre chorus.

It's cool that the opeing riff also introduces the solo. And the solo? Delicious!
Michael has a few great tricks and he uses one of them at 2:37. It cruises along nicely and then at 3:00 comes the struggle. Amazing and fitting with the song's theme.

That outro is fantastic.

Great track all the way around.

30 History Of Flames
29 Stranger In Town
28 Call My Name/All Over You
27 Who's Fooling Who
26 Fool's Gold
25 On With The Action
24 Gone In The Night
23 Name Of Love
22 Lonely Heart
21 You Don't Fool Me
20 Back Into My Life
19 Let It Roll
18 Wreckless
17 Drink Too Much
16 Self Made Man

Michael Schenker

18 Get Out   (Perfect Timing)

I was so pumped when Michael resurfaced with Robin McAuley on Perfect Timing. The problem was, the album is so lame. But it did have this standout rocker.

Get Out has the classic Schenker sound in its main riff. Even though Mitch Perry does add some leads, I still love this song.

It's pretty straightforward but it does bring back a lot of memories. I used to crank this song all the time.

17 Rock Will Never Die  (Built To Destroy)

I love the intro to this song. So fucking cool. Barden is great in this part, especially when he does his own harmonies. It's actually my favorite part of the song.

The chorus could use some filling out, but I love the fuller part that follows.

Really nice solo, even behind the bridge. And then a short cooling section. So classy.

And Schenker gently noodling behind the final verse. And of course a fantastic outro.

(Listening to the 5:55 2009 Remaster).

16 Horizons  (Bridge The Gap)

This song hit me right away on my first listen to Bridge The Gap. Heavy rocking tune. I like how the verse just has the guitar and hi-hat behind it.
A little Dio in the prechorus "From here we will fly.."
And then the amazing chorus owned by Doogie.

And this solo RIPS!

30 Bittersweet
29 Cry For The Nations
28 The Dogs Of War
27 Good Times
26 Land Of Thunder
25 Dance For The Piper
24 Samurai
23 Live And Let Live
22 Red Sky
21 Armed And Ready
20 Shine On
19 Under A Blood Red Sky
18 Get Out
17 Rock Will Never Die
16 Horizons

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2712 on: February 13, 2021, 05:16:34 PM »
Amazon punted on my order of Seven Deadly. I kind of expected it. Just found a sealed copy on Discogs for $15 so it worked out anyway.

I'm still trying to settle on a top 10 songs list. I have 8. Need to fight myself over 2 more.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2713 on: February 13, 2021, 07:17:21 PM »
I'm still trying to settle on a top 10 songs list. I have 8. Need to fight myself over 2 more.

Cool. Look forward to seeing the list.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2714 on: February 13, 2021, 08:29:22 PM »
I missed this whole series of posts! :facepalm:

When I listen to Come On Over, other then the Schenker opening, it feels like a (80's?)KISS song. I can totally picture Paul Stanley singing it . "Have you heard about a ruuuuumeeeerrr?" When I listen to it, I imagine Paul Stanley. I can't unhear it, actually.

Fuck, I hate to say this, but I'm up to Queen of Thorns and Roses and I actually think so far this album is pretty shit.  I'm disappointed.  The songs just seem so safe, bland and uninteresting.  :'(

This album needs Doogie.

Sangria is nice too, even though the verse riff he's ripped himself off directly, just can't pick it.  Peace of Mind is a nice closer.  I'd just listened to this after the amazing new Tribulation, so I'll listen again later or tomorrow and see how it goes second time through.

Well considering that Tribulation is AOTY material....

This album needs Doogie.

Thorns is a great song and it has really grown on me. So much so, that I'm beginning to get past Voss. But yes he fucking blows.

OK...

Love the posts here. If I am looking strictly at the songs... these are right in line with the two MS Fest albums. In fact, I think it's actually stronger as a whole. I like the slightly extended solos and Michael's playing is as good as ever.

That said, listening to music for me always comes down to the vocals. It's a huge deal. I'm not a Ralf fan to begin with so there's that. I was interested in JLT, but they went and gave him one of the worst songs on the albums (Don't Die On me). Voss....puleeze YOU SUCK! A hell of a producer but please don't sing. I even wince at the backing vocals of him that they left.

If you replaced ..
Ralf with Bonnet
JLT with Barden
Romero with Robin, you'd have a good album here, or..

Let Doogie sing the whole fucking thing!

Not for anything, but Barden SUCKED on the two MS Fest albums. He is fucking spent.

The only two songs I don't think are very good are After The Rain and Don't Die On Me. I actually like every other song. To me, the only flaws these songs have are the vocalists.

Remember the original plan was to have Romero do the whole album. I think he's good, but I don't love him. When he lets the song come to him, like in Sail The Darkness, he's excellent. But there's no need to oversing.

I love the vocal lines in Ralf's songs, but holy shit are the lyrics in Devil's Daughter shiite.

@ Stadler, check this song out..
Kade and I were PM'ing and I sent this to him. To further the conversation on the effect of vocalists....

Here's a track from 1999's Unforgiven. It's a great tune, but it features Kelly Keeling on vocals. He fucking blows too. But imagine Doogie singing this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMzFAigsI3E

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2715 on: February 14, 2021, 03:23:52 AM »
Damn, that video is unavailable for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2716 on: February 14, 2021, 03:25:15 AM »
Let Doogie sing the whole fucking thing!

This would be my suggestion.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2717 on: February 14, 2021, 03:39:14 AM »
Tim, I don't know what I expected with your list truthfully, but I don't think it's the songs we're seeing so far.  Loving the obscure, underrated choices.

Drink Too Much - This is a really beautiful song actually.  The intro sounds like it could be a Vinnie solo song.  I too really like Vinnie's fills in the verse.  The pre chorus sets up a exploding type chorus, but the subdued pulled back chorus is fabulous.  Great songwriting.  Vinnie's passage at 1:45 is so fucking good.

I can see why this is on your list, it's a really great tune mate.  Vinnie of course, rips shit up in the solo and again, you get that instrumental album vibe.  He has some dazzling licks going back into the chorus too.

Self Made Man - Made my list, my comments are there.  Brilliant song, brilliant album.

Get Out - I listened to this album once when we were going through this thread.  I quite liked the direction of it honestly, but haven't revisited it.  Listening to this song now, great intro, and cool simple riff.  The chorus is the kicker here and is really good and straightforward.  Nice little solo section too.  Cool tune.

Rock Will Never Die - Another BTD track.  Listening again, not really digging this track at all.  I'm trying to find something nice to say about it, then the solo happens.  Cool shit.  Other than that, not doing much for me.  I guess the laid back groove of the song is decent.

Horizons - This fucker rips.  Reminds me of Malmsteen style songwriting.  Mentioned my thoughts when I broke this album down, but the pre chorus and chorus are bloody excellent.  I hear the Dio vibe too Tim, nice call.  Just a great heavy metal song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2718 on: February 14, 2021, 08:20:39 AM »

@ Stadler, check this song out..
Kade and I were PM'ing and I sent this to him. To further the conversation on the effect of vocalists....

Here's a track from 1999's Unforgiven. It's a great tune, but it features Kelly Keeling on vocals. He fucking blows too. But imagine Doogie singing this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMzFAigsI3E

I agree 100%.  That's a GREAT tune, with horrible vocals. 

Do the Immortal album notes say who sang what?   I have to go back; I don't even recall hearing JLT, and I LIKE him.   I'll listen to it again today.

Speaking of Doogie (and I apologize for misspelling his name; my computer autocorrects to Dougie), he's the new singer with Alcatrazz!  The band and Bonnet split; Bonnet is forming his own version, and the rest of the guys (Shea, Waldo) brought in Doogie!   Graham said he's "fine" with that, and that Doogie is a good friend and great singer, but I have to believe that is a more fragile situation than it was before... though the problem is apparently managers, so maybe Graham recommended it, or is okay with it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2719 on: February 14, 2021, 12:31:59 PM »
JLT sings Don't Die on Me Now and Sangria Morte.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2720 on: February 14, 2021, 02:57:45 PM »
Speaking of Doogie (and I apologize for misspelling his name; my computer autocorrects to Dougie), he's the new singer with Alcatrazz!  The band and Bonnet split; Bonnet is forming his own version, and the rest of the guys (Shea, Waldo) brought in Doogie!   Graham said he's "fine" with that, and that Doogie is a good friend and great singer, but I have to believe that is a more fragile situation than it was before... though the problem is apparently managers, so maybe Graham recommended it, or is okay with it.

I posted a couple of interviews, one with Waldo and the manager, and the other with Graham, in The Cool Thread a couple of months ago.

They're both very interesting.

Here's Waldo and the manager:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCtVkDp_-zk

Here's Gramps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-cNzL9aPL8

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2721 on: February 14, 2021, 03:01:59 PM »
Tim, I don't know what I expected with your list truthfully, but I don't think it's the songs we're seeing so far.  Loving the obscure, underrated choices.

There's gonna be a few more! ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2722 on: February 14, 2021, 06:55:39 PM »

There's gonna be a few more! ;D

Excellent.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2723 on: February 15, 2021, 08:34:01 AM »
I re-watched the Rush documentary, "Behind The Lighted Stage", and I was reminded of the scene where they talked of the time in... I want to say '77 (since they reference "Xanadu") that Rush toured with UFO, and Geddy talks of how important that tour was.  They recount how the UFO guys made fun of Rush constantly, calling Geddy "Glee" and making fun of their shoes and lyrics.   
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 03:06:23 PM by Stadler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2724 on: February 15, 2021, 10:15:04 AM »
I recently read an interview where on of them, Geddy I think referred to Pete as Pway.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2725 on: February 15, 2021, 04:30:31 PM »
UFO

15 Out In The Street  (Force It)

Classic track from Force It. Great lyric from Phill setting the stage for a familiar tale that would be told numerous times.

Schenker is kind of quiet up until the 2:40 mark. His spot from 2:40 - 3:07 is magnificent.

Schenker really elevates the track, but I love the verses from Phil. He is so convincing in these types of songs.

The Strangers and various live versions really make this song shine.

14 The Wild One   (You Are Here)

Love the intro riff and Phil's "hmmmm" before Vinnie's awesome lead before the verse.

The verses are interesting lyrically and the chous with Vinnie playing underneath is great, pretty much due to Vinnie.
And Vinnie weaves in and out during the second verse.

Vinnie basically starts his solo while Phil is still singing and then rips it at 2:44. But the whole solo section from 2:29-3:07 (Holy shit 3:01!) into some nice acoustic guitar.

Phil is great in this bridge and then Vinnie just takes over from there with a great tone and after some noodling Vinnie is in like a superhero at 4:10.

And it is amazing how Phil and Vinnie take this home.

This is an incredible song and still my favorite of the Vinnie Era. Even with great tunes, the Vinnie Era really would never sustain this level of song.

13 Time On My Hands   (Phenomenon)

Might be unexpected here but Time On My Hands has always made me feel all warm inside. I've been known to shout this song while driving.

After a short verse, this chorus comes in and it is just great.

Everything up to this point is nice enough, but this song about Schenker's solo. In all of the Schenker moments, this is easily one of my favorites. This solo is lush and beautiful, so easily flowing. It runs a little over a minute. How old is he here? 18?

The tone and melody he generates is incredible. I could easily listen to it on a 10 minute loop.

30 History Of Flames
29 Stranger In Town
28 Call My Name/All Over You
27 Who's Fooling Who
26 Fool's Gold
25 On With The Action
24 Gone In The Night
23 Name Of Love
22 Lonely Heart
21 You Don't Fool Me
20 Back Into My Life
19 Let It Roll
18 Wreckless
17 Drink Too Much
16 Self Made Man
15 Out In The Street
14 The Wild One
13 Time On My Hands

Michael Schenker

15 Rock You To The Ground  (Assault Attack)

I can't say I love the beginning of this song and the verses. I'm glad they get them out of the way. But the chorus on this is glorious.

And before we move on, I'd really like to shout out Ted McKenna. He's really good on this and I like how he mixes in his ride cymbal every now and them. He keeps a rather mundane beat, but tends to spice it up a bit with his ride and a little double bass.

And then at the 3:18 mark, this thing really takes off. The next two and a half minutes is a guitar clinic. I mean how do I even begin to Kadestamp this?
I still think it ends too soon. Then he starts something really cool right before it fades.

This entire solo is amazing, and he does so many different things. It's really just incredible. I can't pull it apart, as I'd be pausing it every 10 seconds to make a notation.

It's best to just listen all at once and let it wash over you.

14 But I Want More    (MSG)

Nice opening by Paul Raymond. At :46, it almost sounds like Boston .

This song changes parts quite a bit, realll interesting arrangement to it. Seems the "Lies" part comes out of nowhere, but never feels out of place. Then it dials it back a bit for the chorus which really draws me in.

After the chorus, Michael plays this beautiful tone at 3:19.

And that final chorus is really moving "I can't stand and stargaze, cause I want more" at which point Michael takes over. An amazing minute and a half outro.

30 Bittersweet
29 Cry For The Nations
28 The Dogs Of War
27 Good Times
26 Land Of Thunder
25 Dance For The Piper
24 Samurai
23 Live And Let Live
22 Red Sky
21 Armed And Ready
20 Shine On
19 Under A Blood Red Sky
18 Get Out
17 Rock Will Never Die
16 Horizons
15 Rock You To The Ground
14 But I want More

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2726 on: February 15, 2021, 06:18:09 PM »
Another nice update.  Will add some thoughts later.  Absolutely love RYTTG however.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2727 on: February 15, 2021, 10:09:41 PM »
I have an affinity for Time On My Hands too. There’s something about it.

Those are all great songs. And now I have a hankering to listen to Assault Attack. It’s been quite a few years since I last listened to it, but it’s always been a favourite.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2728 on: February 15, 2021, 10:35:34 PM »
I have an affinity for Time On My Hands too. There’s something about it.

Those are all great songs. And now I have a hankering to listen to Assault Attack. It’s been quite a few years since I last listened to it, but it’s always been a favourite.  :metal

It's a brilliant album, I love it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2729 on: February 16, 2021, 07:37:18 AM »
I'm in the middle of listening to something now, but I have to go back to Assault Attack; it's clearly loved more by others than me.  For me, there are two GREAT songs on the record - Samurai and Dessert Song - and the rest are as good as Michael's soloing. 

I do love But I Want More (MSG) and Out In The Street (UFO).  Both those are excellent tunes and would likely be higher on my list. 

EDIT:  The latter half of "Rock You To The Ground" IS pretty killer.   
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:26:19 PM by Stadler »