Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 353936 times)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #3955 on: September 29, 2021, 01:58:28 PM »
The orchestral section I like.  The ambient bit before that, not so much.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3956 on: September 29, 2021, 02:17:24 PM »
The orchestral section I like.  The ambient bit before that, not so much.

Same. That's the only bit that I skip.

Offline dream75

« Reply #3957 on: September 29, 2021, 03:32:37 PM »
I'm very curious to hear the slow middle part with acoustic guitar + cello

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #3958 on: September 29, 2021, 05:47:00 PM »
Glasser - Sleeping Giant or At Wit's End?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3959 on: September 29, 2021, 06:07:10 PM »
Can't wait to hear exactly how they developed their "transitional craftmanship".  :rollin

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3960 on: September 29, 2021, 06:21:05 PM »
I don't get the take that the orchestra section doesn't fit in Illumination Theory.  It fits perfectly, if you ask me.  I have a few minor quibbles with the song in general (I still like it quite a bit overall, but I can't call it a great song), but I have no beef with that section.  Seeing it played live that first time and closing my eyes while standing and letting it just wash over me was a terrific concert moment for me.  :coolio :coolio

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3961 on: September 29, 2021, 06:22:58 PM »
I don't get the take that the orchestra section doesn't fit in Illumination Theory.  It fits perfectly, if you ask me.  I have a few minor quibbles with the song in general (I still like it quite a bit overall, but I can't call it a great song), but I have no beef with that section.  Seeing it played live that first time and closing my eyes while standing and letting it just wash over me was a terrific concert moment for me.  :coolio :coolio

So happy you were washed over.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3962 on: September 29, 2021, 06:24:00 PM »

Don't act like you don't love a good soaping.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3963 on: September 29, 2021, 06:24:39 PM »

Don't act like you don't love a good soaping.

Not when you bring it up, no. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3964 on: September 29, 2021, 06:52:24 PM »

I'm very curious to hear Answering The Call, Sleeping Giant, Transcending Time, Awaken The Master and A View From The Top Of The World  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3965 on: September 29, 2021, 09:22:55 PM »
They are good.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3966 on: September 30, 2021, 12:20:54 AM »
Haha it's funny people feels the orchestral section etc is the problem with IT. I never even considered IT without that section to be a valid option. Sure there's some transition to get there, but it surely fits like a glove for that song.

For me the only problem is the Rudess keytar solo plus the awesome Petrucci solo that comes just before the climax. I like them but they absolutely break the mood 😅

Offline dream75

« Reply #3967 on: September 30, 2021, 02:30:02 AM »

I'm very curious to hear Answering The Call, Sleeping Giant, Transcending Time, Awaken The Master and A View From The Top Of The World  :biggrin:

Me too  :rollin

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3968 on: September 30, 2021, 07:36:40 AM »
I love IT and I totally accept the parts aren't well jointed.
The only thing I don't like in it is the loud high pitched pick screeching, it makes my inner dog bark from pain.
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Online jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #3969 on: September 30, 2021, 04:29:05 PM »
Cool podcast with Mangini here - https://open.spotify.com/episode/3BQzsB0dZVzAOMWxF8WtEd?si=VRaLOLpSQMu2ArtZ9kIYVw&nd=1

Some cool tidbits about the album. The Alien was written first, Invisible Monster 6th and Awaken the Master last.  Plus a bit about his album and upcoming tour kit and a load of other stuff. 

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #3970 on: September 30, 2021, 06:21:06 PM »
Cool podcast with Mangini here - https://open.spotify.com/episode/3BQzsB0dZVzAOMWxF8WtEd?si=VRaLOLpSQMu2ArtZ9kIYVw&nd=1

Some cool tidbits about the album. The Alien was written first, Invisible Monster 6th and Awaken the Master last.  Plus a bit about his album and upcoming tour kit and a load of other stuff.

Thanks!! Definitely going to listen it

Offline rab7

« Reply #3971 on: September 30, 2021, 07:28:27 PM »

The only thing I don't like in it is the loud high pitched pick screeching, it makes my inner dog bark from pain.

THAT'S what that is! Those squeaks have haunted me for years

Offline TM172003

« Reply #3972 on: October 01, 2021, 04:57:34 AM »
I love the sound of pick attack but it is a bit annoying how loud it is in that part.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #3973 on: October 01, 2021, 03:54:41 PM »
I love the sound of pick attack but it is a bit annoying how loud it is in that part.

I remember being able to hear the pick attack, but which part is it you find it annoying?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3974 on: October 01, 2021, 05:44:58 PM »
We need a new A View From The Top Of The World Thread for page (1)15 !!!

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #3975 on: October 02, 2021, 11:51:31 AM »
I don't get the take that the orchestra section doesn't fit in Illumination Theory.  It fits perfectly, if you ask me.

same here. But Illumination Theory is, together with Octavarium and the Count in my all time top 3 Dream Theater songs… the instrumental section is probably what I love most ‘bout that epic.

And I am so bloody curious to see if the new epic can digg its way in there…
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

• PR permission
« Reply #3976 on: October 02, 2021, 06:34:58 PM »
IT and ACOS are a step above the rest. I am very curious to see how the new epic stacks up against those two but it'll be tough to top. Arguably, the band is the best it's ever been. The line-up has never been better; the lyrical and musical maturity has never been this good, and the production could be at a high point from what we've heard in the Alien and Monster.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3977 on: October 02, 2021, 06:38:56 PM »
I don't get the take that the orchestra section doesn't fit in Illumination Theory.  It fits perfectly, if you ask me.

same here. But Illumination Theory is, together with Octavarium and the Count in my all time top 3 Dream Theater songs… the instrumental section is probably what I love most ‘bout that epic.

Yes. I'm not expecting it to topple Octavarium.

• PR permission
« Reply #3978 on: October 02, 2021, 06:47:30 PM »

Yes. I'm not expecting it to topple Octavarium.

Have some faith  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3979 on: October 02, 2021, 10:02:03 PM »

A Change of Seasons is the only long DT epic that would make my top 20, but at this stage, I'd be more than happy if this new one is comparable in quality to Octavarium or The Count of Tuscany, both of which I'd put somewhere in my DT top 50 outside of the top 20.  Illumination Theory, for as much as I love that orchestral section, would not make my top 50.

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #3980 on: October 02, 2021, 11:59:17 PM »
not even in your top 50? Wow, way off topic here, but I am curious however to see what makes your top 20 then.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3981 on: October 03, 2021, 12:50:47 AM »
Illumination Theory, for as much as I love that orchestral section, would not make my top 50.

Nodding along with this. After the discussion of Illumination Theory in this thread, I gave it another listen a few days ago. Overriding feeling was just, well... the song is... there? I think the best part is the one that immediately follows the classical interlude. And then that's gone, too. And the song finishes before we get two pointless minutes of (admittedly melodic) noodling. Just finish the song properly. (My personal exception to this is the reprise in At Wit's End although I felt it should have merged with the end of the song, and that's the version I created; much better.)

Perhaps this should have been posted in the controversial opinions thread :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

• PR permission
« Reply #3982 on: October 03, 2021, 02:36:14 AM »
Illumination Theory, for as much as I love that orchestral section, would not make my top 50.

Nodding along with this. After the discussion of Illumination Theory in this thread, I gave it another listen a few days ago. Overriding feeling was just, well... the song is... there? I think the best part is the one that immediately follows the classical interlude. And then that's gone, too. And the song finishes before we get two pointless minutes of (admittedly melodic) noodling. Just finish the song properly. (My personal exception to this is the reprise in At Wit's End although I felt it should have merged with the end of the song, and that's the version I created; much better.)

Perhaps this should have been posted in the controversial opinions thread :biggrin:

the end of the IT is noodling?

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3983 on: October 03, 2021, 02:52:14 AM »

The song was barely in my top 50 when I heard CD version but since Breaking 4th Wall it's top 10 or 20. It captured why this song is great while the CD production manages to rip all soul from it.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3984 on: October 03, 2021, 03:14:10 AM »

I know exactly what part he means, it's the one part I don't like from the song. Before the ending climax there's a Rudess and Petrucci solo section. Both JP and JR plays over the same composition and Rudess uses his keytar. It feels really out of place for me since the whole theme of the song is this serious concept that every other section manages to encapsulate in one way or another.

• PR permission
« Reply #3985 on: October 03, 2021, 03:29:53 AM »

I know exactly what part he means, it's the one part I don't like from the song. Before the ending climax there's a Rudess and Petrucci solo section. Both JP and JR plays over the same composition and Rudess uses his keytar. It feels really out of place for me since the whole theme of the song is this serious concept that every other section manages to encapsulate in one way or another.

Ah, you mean the Pursuit of Truth section I think. I don't think it's anymore out of place than any other DT solo section, which generally does include a guitar and keyboard solo. The transition into the final movement, which is the best in my opinion, as an aside, is the smoothest of them all and works nicely.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3986 on: October 03, 2021, 04:48:17 AM »
I actually meant the two minutes or so literally bolted on after the song's finished. I think it's supposed to be an Easter egg rather than part of Illumination Theory so, on further reflection, it's unfair to criticise the song itself because of it.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3987 on: October 03, 2021, 05:52:22 AM »
not even in your top 50? Wow, way off topic here, but I am curious however to see what makes your top 20 then.

Off the top of my head (and going in chronological order):

Take the Time
Surrounded
Metropolis
Learning to Live
Erotomania
Voices
The Mirror
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream
Scarred
Space Dye Vest
A Change of Seasons
Peruvian Skies
Lines in the Sand
Trial of Tears
Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu (yes, I am cheating and combining these two as one)
Fatal Tragedy
Home
Finally Free
Misunderstood
In the Name of God

Octavarium would be in the next grouping along with Another Day, Hell's Kitchen, Bridges in the Sky, Beyond This Life, Fall into the Light, Three Days, The Silent Man and 6:00.

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #3988 on: October 03, 2021, 08:29:59 AM »

Off the top of my head (and going in chronological order):

Take the Time
Surrounded
Metropolis
Learning to Live
Erotomania
Voices
The Mirror
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream
Scarred
Space Dye Vest
A Change of Seasons
Peruvian Skies
Lines in the Sand
Trial of Tears
Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu (yes, I am cheating and combining these two as one)
Fatal Tragedy
Home
Finally Free
Misunderstood
In the Name of God

Octavarium would be in the next grouping along with Another Day, Hell's Kitchen, Bridges in the Sky, Beyond This Life, Fall into the Light, Three Days, The Silent Man and 6:00.

Thanks for the 'summing up'. Looks like you appreciate Dream Theater from a total different corner, which is equally fine of course.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3989 on: October 03, 2021, 09:23:20 AM »

Thanks for the 'summing up'. Looks like you appreciate Dream Theater from a total different corner, which is equally fine of course.

And the thing is, I am not an "old DT great, new DT bad" guy.  I like all of their albums to some extent, and have really enjoyed all of the Mangini era albums quite a bit (and LOVE The Astonishing), but it's just hard to top that 1992-2002 era when they were on top of their game and wrote (what I consider) most of their best songs.