Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 357660 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #3885 on: September 27, 2021, 09:08:39 AM »
EDIT:  *snip*

Unfortunately, the clips are NOT supposed to have been posted yet.  As often happens nowadays, there are a few places online that jumped the gun.  But since the band has not authorized them yet, we're not going to allow them here until the band gives the green light.  If you stumble upon them somewhere else, please hold off posting anything.  Thanks.

For those that did hear, for the title song, we got part of what I described in my initial notes as "Symphony X intro."  :metal  I'll be curious to see how accurate folks think that description is when we can hear the whole thing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3886 on: September 27, 2021, 09:13:59 AM »
Totally heard symphony x and was excited about it! In the past the mention of symphony x on this forum has not always been met with positive reviews, but I think an element of sx in new dt will be very welcome

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #3887 on: September 27, 2021, 09:21:51 AM »

Unfortunately, the clips are NOT supposed to have been posted yet.  As often happens nowadays, there are a few places online that jumped the gun.  But since the band has not authorized them yet, we're not going to allow them here until the band gives the green light.  If you stumble upon them somewhere else, please hold off posting anything.  Thanks.

For those that did hear, for the title song, we got part of what I described in my initial notes as "Symphony X intro."  :metal  I'll be curious to see how accurate folks think that description is when we can hear the whole thing.

Cheers Bosk, appreciate the info/update.

As for the Symphony X intro - I hope so. Love me some SX :metal

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3888 on: September 27, 2021, 09:22:28 AM »
3.5 weeks and the wait is over, shouldn't be too hard  :corn

Gave in and listened to the samples yesterday and everything sounds great to me  :metal Trying not to come up with conclusions off of short samples.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3889 on: September 27, 2021, 09:30:43 AM »

Cheers Bosk, its tough not to be "Greedo" on the samples issue. It seemed to have increased excitement for the album. That's a positive thing. I wish the band was ok with snippets at this point as its probably increasing pre-orders.  :) :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3890 on: September 27, 2021, 09:38:40 AM »
I know.  But I promise, the very instant I get the green light, folks can post away.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3891 on: September 27, 2021, 09:46:34 AM »
Bosk, do you know if they are planning to release an "Album Trailer" like they did for Distance Over Time? Not that it matters much, but just wondering.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3892 on: September 27, 2021, 09:52:24 AM »
Not sure.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3893 on: September 27, 2021, 09:54:46 AM »
How I rank all 7 songs on the album without having heard the other 5

1. The Alien
2. Invisible Monster
3. Answering the Call
4. Transcending Time
5. Sleeping Giant
6. Awaken The Master
7. A View From The Top Of The World.

;D

Offline rab7

« Reply #3894 on: September 27, 2021, 10:00:26 AM »
For those fortunate to have heard, keep in mind the samples could be completely different from the song they're part of.

The Alien sample was from the beautiful guitar solo. If i hadn't already heard the whole song, I would've thought the entire Alien song would be the tempo and style of that solo.

And we all know Awaken the Master is going to be pretty heavy because 8 str :loser:ing, but that sample was only like medium heavy.

These 4 weeks are going to be excruciating

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Love Is The First Dancing Turtle
« Reply #3895 on: September 27, 2021, 10:01:42 AM »
One Day when all is said and done and DT have called it a career - I really hope they release a Best Of Dream Theater callled

" The First Dancing Turtle. The Very Best Of Dream Theater ".

or

" The Very Best of Dream Theater : So Energy Power. "

or

" We weren't going to release a retrospective but we had a contractual obligation so what the F*** ".

Quote from: Rab7
For those fortunate to have heard, keep in mind the samples could be completely different from the song they're part of.

Imagine if the sample of A Nightmare To Remember was the Beautiful Agony section!!

Which reminds me of a solid GOLD comment on YouTube of the Drummer Auditions

" Man... The Dance Of Eternity must be a nightmare to remember !  :rollin

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #3896 on: September 27, 2021, 10:48:46 AM »
Could completely just be my ageing ears, but right at the end of the snippet, Awaken the Master sounds like it could almost be connected to the Alien...

I heard that too, but the sample cut off a bit too soon for me to say if I was also just imagining things. I guess we'll see when the album drops.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3897 on: September 27, 2021, 11:06:51 AM »

The Alien sample was from the beautiful guitar solo. If i hadn't already heard the whole song, I would've thought the entire Alien song would be the tempo and style of that solo.

And we all know Awaken the Master is going to be pretty heavy because 8 str :loser:ing, but that sample was only like medium heavy.

These 4 weeks are going to be excruciating

I was very aware of that as I thínk this album is an extension of what they did on D/T, meaning the construction of the songs and how they shifted throughout.

The Alien and Invisible Monster have this atmosphere to them that I can hear in the samples.

I am just happy for more groove and tightness from JM and Mangini. I hear that on all the samples and the songs released. Especially that opening solo, I love that part for the bass hitting that pocket with the drums.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3898 on: September 27, 2021, 11:09:31 AM »
One thing that's different, imo, is there's more of a focus on melody on the new material

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3899 on: September 27, 2021, 11:09:47 AM »
Yeah, I never liked the best of that they did release.  They unnecessarily restricted themselves trying to conceptualise it with the light and dark discs.  Just put your best songs on there.  I know it’s not easy for them with having so many long songs but to waste a whole disc on their ballads and more commercial song attempts (which they’re not particularly good at on the whole) was a mistake for me.  If someone, looking to get into the band, gave their best of a try, I don’t think it’s a very good representation of their material at all.  I don’t necessarily think that they are a band that suits having a best of album but, if you’re going to do it, put your best songs on there.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #3900 on: September 27, 2021, 11:15:24 AM »
Their best of album is actually what got me into the band, but I kind of agree with that. You can tell looking at how worn out the 2 discs are that I listened to one waaaaay more than the other  :lol

Offline Mr.Mister

Re: Love Is The First Dancing Turtle
« Reply #3901 on: September 27, 2021, 11:15:57 AM »
One Day when all is said and done and DT have called it a career - I really hope they release a Best Of Dream Theater callled

" The First Dancing Turtle. The Very Best Of Dream Theater ".

or

" The Very Best of Dream Theater : So Energy Power. "

or

" We weren't going to release a retrospective but we had a contractual obligation so what the F*** ".

Quote from: Rab7

Imagine if the sample of A Nightmare To Remember was the Beautiful Agony section!!

Which reminds me of a solid GOLD comment on YouTube of the Drummer Auditions

" Man... The Dance Of Eternity must be a nightmare to remember !  :rollin

Funny enough the Beautiful Agony section was part of the samples-medley MP brought to Eddie Trunk to promote the album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnvy-WwtOcs

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3902 on: September 27, 2021, 11:24:51 AM »
To this day I wish that A Nightmare to Remember and Beautiful Agony were two separate songs.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #3903 on: September 27, 2021, 02:37:45 PM »
To this day I wish everything after beautiful agony was different 😁
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 11:27:01 PM by Pettor »

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #3904 on: September 27, 2021, 02:48:54 PM »
To this day I wish everything after beautiful agony in was different 😁

ROOOOOOARRRR  :metal  lol It took some time but over time I ended up liking it as it is.

Back on Topic I got to listen to the clips - really tasty music! I can't wait to hear the full album.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #3905 on: September 27, 2021, 03:12:03 PM »
You know it’s funny… everyone gave portnoy a lot of crap for that roar, and probably rightfully so but I feel like it took away from the totally badass riff that’s playing at the same time.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3906 on: September 27, 2021, 03:12:12 PM »
I’m not sure what everyone was hearing in the samples.  Nothing blew me away but the sound quality was really bad so that didn’t help.  Not saying the songs won’t be great though obviously.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3907 on: September 27, 2021, 03:16:50 PM »
You know it’s funny… everyone gave portnoy a lot of crap for that roar, and probably rightfully so but I feel like it took away from the totally badass riff that’s playing at the same time.

Yes, I loved that riff.  Another example of an amazing riff being thrown away on a 10 second moment in a song.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3908 on: September 27, 2021, 03:22:55 PM »
I’m not sure what everyone was hearing in the samples.  Nothing blew me away but the sound quality was really bad so that didn’t help.  Not saying the songs won’t be great though obviously.

Melodic, heavy in parts, some straight prog, catchy vocal lines and good /fresh Jr patches. That sums it up for me

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3909 on: September 27, 2021, 03:29:47 PM »
I'm glad I listened to each clip once only as I got a taste of the album but now i've completely forgotten them.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3910 on: September 27, 2021, 03:32:33 PM »
Track 2 has a catchy chorus... Dun dun dun dun dunn

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3911 on: September 27, 2021, 03:38:14 PM »
Catchy Chorus do do do do do... catchy chorus do do do do do...

:xbones

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3912 on: September 27, 2021, 04:10:25 PM »
I'm glad I listened to each clip once only as I got a taste of the album but now i've completely forgotten them.

same
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3913 on: September 27, 2021, 04:13:43 PM »
Totally heard symphony x and was excited about it! In the past the mention of symphony x on this forum has not always been met with positive reviews, but I think an element of sx in new dt will be very welcome

Depends if it’s the S X sound up to The Odyssey or after as to whether that’s a good thing.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #3914 on: September 27, 2021, 04:54:15 PM »

Depends if it’s the S X sound up to The Odyssey or after as to whether that’s a good thing.

Not to derail the thread too much, but I never went much for that opinion. SX are a lot like DT in the respect they have so many different sounds. While Divine Wings, Twilight in Olympus and particularly V got me right into the band, I felt The Odyssey was always a bit overrated, while Paradise Lost and Underworld are two of my absolute faves. Different strokes I guess…
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 05:00:15 PM by jayvee3 »

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #3915 on: September 27, 2021, 05:36:26 PM »
According to the forum rules, can we still discuss on the snippets even if they're taken down?

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3916 on: September 27, 2021, 06:14:07 PM »

Which do you prefer?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3917 on: September 27, 2021, 11:31:31 PM »
According to the forum rules, can we still discuss on the snippets even if they're taken down?

bosk did it'd be weird if you couldn't.

But if someone was like 'I ripped them from the site here's the ZIP file' would be a problem
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #3918 on: September 28, 2021, 01:49:11 AM »

Melodic, heavy in parts, some straight prog, catchy vocal lines and good /fresh Jr patches. That sums it up for me

Yep, same.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3919 on: September 28, 2021, 06:30:28 AM »
To this day I wish that A Nightmare to Remember and Beautiful Agony were two separate songs.
Me too, so I would never have to listen to Nightmare again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.