Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 358690 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Hopefully they're not going to kill it with a 3-5 minute orchestral section in the middle.

Although I love IT, just because of that, I don't "hear" it like a proper epic. It sounds to me like a suite of 3 related songs. So, I'm still  waiting for a true big epic from Mangini era.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

I liked that middle part at first, but now I skip it almost every time I listen to IT. It kills the flow of the song, specially the long ambient part before the strings start, it's too long. TCOT did it much better.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Hopefully they're not going to kill it with a 3-5 minute orchestral section in the middle.

Man, this times infinity.   :hat

It's likely they use that orchestrated part to catch their breath. The rest of the song is absolutely BRUTAL for all members.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
They managed just fine with ITPOE live.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me

That's the best thing about that song, for me at least. I love it when DT does things like that. I'd gladly take that beautiful string interlude over an 20+ minute progressive onslaught with a predictable form/structure, as that has been done so many times by so many bands.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

That's the best thing about that song, for me at least. I love it when DT does things like that. I'd gladly take that beautiful string interlude over an 20+ minute progressive onslaught with a predictable form/structure, as that has been done so many times by so many bands.

But at this point, that section has become predictable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

It's likely they use that orchestrated part to catch their breath. The rest of the song is absolutely BRUTAL for all members.

I could see that. Arranging it to give them that nice break before the onslaught of Live, Die, Kill. Also to give JLB the necessary break to belt out those vocals live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline geeeemo

I could see that. Arranging it to give them that nice break before the onslaught of Live, Die, Kill. Also to give JLB the necessary break to belt out those vocals live.

And boy did James belt those vocals out fabulously!! :metal....I think I am going to go watch the video now. I have probably watched this one more than any other video in the last year.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot

No, The Pursuit Of Truth. Live Die Kill appears before the orchestral middle movement.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Ben_Jamin

No, The Pursuit Of Truth. Live Die Kill appears before the orchestral middle movement.

Oh yeah. I always get those two mixed up.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline IDontNotDoThings

I'd support an ambient section in the epic as long as it flows well. TCOT & Octavarium both have ambient sections that work fine in the context of the song. IT is more of an exception in that regard, & I just hope it's not one they repeat.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline geeeemo

What do we think the chances are for an ambient section?? I say 75%

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

Interesting song lengths:

TA 09:32: The Apple
ATC 07:35: All The Carrots
IM 06:02: Imaginary Mango
SG 10:05: Space Garlic
TT 6:25: Tremendous Taco
ATM 9:47: About That Mango
AVFTTOTW 20:24: A Very Fine Tomato to overthrow The Watermelon.
Relevant: https://youtu.be/uXGQnc_y-10

Offline darkshade

I used to be excited to hear a new epic piece was going to be on a new DT album.

Now I worry.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
It would be pretty relentless if a song went on for 20 minutes with the same energy, or ever increasing energy throughout. All of the DT epics have breaks in them throughout the songs that lead into new sections, some earlier, some later... Don't get why this is something to freak out over...

Offline Bertie_Wooster

They should have gotten Jon Anderson to sing something during the ambient part.
Of “Illumination theory”

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I love IT as it is, but I'd love a 20 minute balls out assault.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline geeeemo

I love the Temple of Circadia...something akin to that...

Offline Raise the Drum

• ::::::::::|...|::::::::::
  • Ñ
A Change of Seasons is pretty much balls out all of the 23 mins of length that it has.
it has a quiet part but doesn't ever need ambient.
i feel like the ambient card is a little overused in the last epics.

I can't help to think to myself, "if you need a whole section to recharge your batteries, why make the song so long then?"

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
Imagine it's a 7 minutes song with 12 minutes of silence and then 1 minute of noodling to end the album :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
I wonder if this is the order the songs will be sequenced in or if that’ll actually be different. Starting the album out with a 9.5 minute long track would be a pretty sweet change from the last few albums.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released through my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios
www.starcommandstudios.com

Offline Dedalus

Imagine it's a 7 minutes song with 12 minutes of silence and then 1 minute of noodling to end the album :D

:lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
my body is ready
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline MirrorMask

I wonder if this is the order the songs will be sequenced in or if that’ll actually be different. Starting the album out with a 9.5 minute long track would be a pretty sweet change from the last few albums.

I think it is the proper order, but, speaking generally, they never really had the bigass epic as the centerpiece of the album. Something like Lines in the Sand if Trial of Tears didn't exist on FII, or Home on SFAM if Finally Free didn't exist.

It's not that they didn't have long songs in the middle of the album, but the "epic closer" has always been a thing. It would be something new if the big epic would be in the middle of the record and the final track would be something mellow and calmer, a là Beneath the Surface.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Peter Mc

It would be pretty relentless if a song went on for 20 minutes with the same energy, or ever increasing energy throughout. All of the DT epics have breaks in them throughout the songs that lead into new sections, some earlier, some later... Don't get why this is something to freak out over...

I agree that the song should ebb and flow, not looking for 20 min of shredding, but I don’t want a point like in IT and, to a lesser extent, TCOT where it pretty much comes to a juddering halt for a significantly long period.  Where you’re sat there twiddling your thumbs waiting for the song to come back.

Offline Seppe76

Hi guys! My first post, from Itlay ;D

TA 09:32
ATC 07:35
IM 06:02
SG 10:05
TT 6:25
ATM 9:47
AVFTTOTW 20:24

Reminds me the structure of Six Degrees...

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Welcome!

I think it reminds me more of Train Of Thought, because of the consistency of the 9-10 minute songs (like TOT's consistently 10-11 minute songs), with the 5th track being shorter & the final track being the longest. The main difference being the length of the epic & the average length of the other songs coming down a bit to balance it out.

Could also just be that it's the other 7 song album that's around 69 minutes though.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Agreed.  I gave Illumination Theory a fresh listen recently, and the orchestral section is still one of my favorite parts of it.  I still like the song overall quite a bit, but I found that some of the moments have aged a bit awkwardly.  But hey, not every long epic is gonna be like A Change of Seasons where everything sticks to landing.  :hat :hat

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Plus, consider the fact that ACOS had the chance to mature over 5 years of development, with sections cut and sections added throughout to make it what it is now...

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
NO SAPPY 3-4 MINUTE BALLAD AS THE 2ND-TO-LAST SONG :metal :metal :metal

...Hopefully that doesn't mean we're getting a 9 minute sappy ballad as the 2nd-to-last song. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Ben_Jamin

Plus, consider the fact that ACOS had the chance to mature over 5 years of development, with sections cut and sections added throughout to make it what it is now...

Yup, listen to the live in NY Ytsejam bootleg and you will hear how the song would have sounded like it it was released on Images and Words.

It does not sound the same at all. Even the lyrics have changed dramatically.

Offline LordJordan

First post for me too, and from Italy too as Seppe76!

I have various thoughts:
1) speaking of orchestra parts, there's a version of Illumination Theory called Theory of Illumination, you can find it on the tube: basically, the orchestration is put at the beginning of the song and yes, it's a strange kind of progressive metal (stranger than having in the middle, for sure) but it works...
2) I hope that AVFTTOTW will have 20 minutes of real music: it kinda disappointed me when I discovered how much silence was there in the 22 minutes of IT
3) I still think there will be another song or two at the end of the album but I will be happy even with this 69 minutes of music
4) that terrible intro and vocal melody from the old A Change of Seasons (soure: the Images and Words demos)...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 09:21:06 AM by LordJordan »
"Step after step, we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living it has become too late."

Former ItalianVoices member (I see you others)

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

Epic.

A Very Fine Time To Open The Window.

Between this and Maiden, I'm excited.

Post-COVID19

Also, new Blind Guardian.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa

I think we all recognize that most epics have ebbs and flows in the energy of the song.  That's not the problem with Illumination Theory.  The problem with Illumination Theory is one of context, or more precisely an utter and complete lack of context.  Allow me to explain: If you listen to The Count of Tuscany, the low ambient section with the guitar volume swell melodies is actually a well-crafted ambient break in the song that references melodic ideas from earlier in the piece.  In that context it works rather fluidly and feels very organic. 

Illumination Theory's ambient break is completely detached from the song they stuck it in.  I find no melodic, rhythmic or any other musical reference to anything.  It's completely out of context.  There is nothing wrong with the part itself.  In fact, it's quite beautiful.  But jamming into the middle of that song?  Bad idea because it's completely out of context.   

Offline Enigmachine

Illumination Theory's ambient break is completely detached from the song they stuck it in.  I find no melodic, rhythmic or any other musical reference to anything.  It's completely out of context.  There is nothing wrong with the part itself.  In fact, it's quite beautiful.  But jamming into the middle of that song?  Bad idea because it's completely out of context.

...Other than a direct reference to the very first melody in the song? That is, if you're including the orchestral part here, too.