Author Topic: Neil Peart - Dead at 67  (Read 41973 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Neil Peart - Dead at 67
« Reply #700 on: January 20, 2021, 06:58:34 PM »
While I'd say that Rush certainly has better albums, I still like Roll the Bones.  Agree with those who prefer the first half, but I still listen to the whole thing and enjoy it.  Bravado is pretty awesome though.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #701 on: January 21, 2021, 06:34:22 AM »
"Tough Break" Demo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-EMfV3aA-U

We were getting a little bored with inactivity. During the mixing
of "Exit... Stage Left" there was really not much for us to do except
say "it sounds good" or "it doesn't sound good".
I had been working down in the little studio, cleaning and renovating
an old set of Hayman drums that were kicking around, and had started working on a "Jack Secret" song with Jack and Skip from the crew. Geddy and Alex soon joined in on keyboards and rhythm guitar, and we later recorded the song ("Tough Break") up in the studio. ...
- Neil Peart
This song is the bonus track by "the fab pros" on the bootleg Power Run.

Offline HOF

« Reply #702 on: January 21, 2021, 06:39:20 AM »
"Tough Break" Demo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-EMfV3aA-U

We were getting a little bored with inactivity. During the mixing
of "Exit... Stage Left" there was really not much for us to do except
say "it sounds good" or "it doesn't sound good".
I had been working down in the little studio, cleaning and renovating
an old set of Hayman drums that were kicking around, and had started working on a "Jack Secret" song with Jack and Skip from the crew. Geddy and Alex soon joined in on keyboards and rhythm guitar, and we later recorded the song ("Tough Break") up in the studio. ...
- Neil Peart
This song is the bonus track by "the fab pros" on the bootleg Power Run.

Who is that singing?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #703 on: January 21, 2021, 06:59:56 AM »
Tony Geranios  - AKA Jack Secret.  Roadie for Rush for decades.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #704 on: January 21, 2021, 10:14:51 AM »
Anyone list of the worst 5 Rush songs that doesn't include Time and Motion and Rivendell is invalid.

I wouldn't put T&M on a "worst" list, but neither will I argue with you.  As for Rivendell...welll...they meant well, I suppose.  Every time I listen to FBN, I just can't bring myself to listen to Rivendell.

Rush’s all time top 5 worst songs are ALL on Roll the Bones.

But Bravado is not one of them. That song is bloody brilliant!
Wait, last I checked Stupidconductor isn't on Roll the Bones.  :biggrin:

Yep.  That too.  That's the thing about Presto:  it has Scars, Hand over Fist and Stupidconductor but still manages to be light years better than the albums on either side of it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #705 on: January 21, 2021, 10:35:51 AM »
That’d be an interesting topic for discussion - Bottom 5 Rush songs. I’d expect a lot of disagreement in opinions, really. My list would probably include in no particular order:

I Think I’m Going Bald
Madrigal
Chemistry
Spindrift
The Necromancer

Honorable mentions to Tai Shan, The Big Wheel, Fountain of Lamneth, and Workin’ Them Angels. I know I left out any debut album song, but I’m considering the massive improvement that took place on Fly By Night once Peart joined. I do appreciate the debut for what it is, but it’s just not really “Rush” to me.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #706 on: January 21, 2021, 11:17:30 AM »
Good game. For me:

Rivendell
Madrigal
Face Up
Spindrift
Halo Effect

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #707 on: January 21, 2021, 11:24:26 AM »
That’d be an interesting topic for discussion - Bottom 5 Rush songs. I’d expect a lot of disagreement in opinions, really. My list would probably include in no particular order:

I Think I’m Going Bald
Madrigal
Chemistry
Spindrift
The Necromancer

Honorable mentions to Tai Shan, The Big Wheel, Fountain of Lamneth, and Workin’ Them Angels. I know I left out any debut album song, but I’m considering the massive improvement that took place on Fly By Night once Peart joined. I do appreciate the debut for what it is, but it’s just not really “Rush” to me.

OK - we gonna fight over Chemistry.  >:(

I love the intro and the guitar riff right before he comes in with "signal transmitted, message received". That's just brilliant call and response from the guitar and lyrics.  :metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: January 21, 2021, 11:25:45 AM »
The Speed Of Love has to be in that list.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #709 on: January 21, 2021, 11:46:58 AM »
I'll play:

Rush: Greatest Shits:
I Think I'm Going Bald
Lakeside Park
Red Lenses
Kid Gloves
Virtuality

Bonus Tracks/B-Sides:
Neurotica
Nobody's Hero
Vital Signs

Offline HOF

« Reply #710 on: January 21, 2021, 11:58:48 AM »

I Think I’m Going Bald
Madrigal
Chemistry
Spindrift
The Necromancer

I love the intro and the guitar riff right before he comes in with "signal transmitted, message received". That's just brilliant call and response from the guitar and lyrics.  :metal

Yeah, I love Chemistry.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: January 21, 2021, 12:03:18 PM »
I'll play:

Rush: Greatest Shits:
I Think I'm Going Bald
Lakeside Park
Red Lenses
Kid Gloves
Virtuality

Bonus Tracks/B-Sides:
Neurotica
Nobody's Hero
Vital Signs

Whatcha talkin' about Willis?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #712 on: January 21, 2021, 12:17:31 PM »
Hmmm...

It would be something from this list:

Need Some Love
Take a Friend
Rivendell
I Think I'm Going Bald
The Body Electric
Red Lenses
Mystic Rhythms
Tai Shan
Scars
Hand over Fist
Roll the Bones
Neurotica
You Bet Your Life
Between Sun & Moon
Dog Years
Carve Away the Stone
Secret Touch

There are probably a couple from S&A and CA, but I only really know the songs I like on those albums.

Songs like Madrigal, Chemistry and Vital Signs belong nowhere near this list.  While Madrigal is nothing special and gets dwarfed by the other songs on masterful album, it's not a bad song by any means (sort of like Different Strings).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #713 on: January 21, 2021, 12:38:08 PM »
Second Nature is the most obvious candidate for worst Rush song in my book. Tai Shan is also probably on that worst 5 list.

Cygnus X-1 might be on the list. Spindrift is a good candidate. Face Up or Heresy maybe.  I’ve never heard the self-titled album so those might all be on the list I guess.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #714 on: January 21, 2021, 01:04:12 PM »
Playing along:

Roll the Bones
Workin' Them Angels
Tai Shan
High Water
Earthshine
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #715 on: January 21, 2021, 01:12:50 PM »
Seriously, why don’t more people hate Second Nature?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #716 on: January 21, 2021, 01:14:28 PM »

It ALMOST made my list. Sappy!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: January 21, 2021, 01:31:01 PM »
If I see anyone put Open Secrets on their list, all hell is gonna break loose! :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: January 21, 2021, 01:33:22 PM »
Second Nature is the most obvious candidate for worst Rush song in my book. Tai Shan is also probably on that worst 5 list.

Cygnus X-1 might be on the list. Spindrift is a good candidate. Face Up or Heresy maybe.  I’ve never heard the self-titled album so those might all be on the list I guess.

Second Nature would make my... top 20, 25 BEST songs.  I love that chorus... 'It ought to be second nature... at least that's what I feel".  Love it; I think it's a beautiful, beautiful song.

I don't get the hate for Tai Shan.   It's just not that bad.   I can't escape the idea that "Well, Geddy and Alex don't like it, so I guess I have to not like it...."   I know that's not fair, but it's how I feel.   It's certainly not out of place on Hold Your Fire (and I happen to love Hold Your Fire; I love that keyboard sound Geddy got on that record, and there are REAL DRUMS.)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #719 on: January 21, 2021, 01:42:38 PM »

Ummmm...WHAT?  Not sure which Book you're talking about, but both are far more likely to show up in a TOP 10 list than a bottom anything list.

As far as Second Nature and Open Secrets, they're both pretty blah (as is most of HYF outside of Time Stand Still and Mission), but they're not really "bad" and certainly not hate-worthy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: January 21, 2021, 01:51:35 PM »
Nobody's Hero
Vital Signs

I think the lyrics for Nobody's Hero sound... forced.  One of the great things about Rush is how they so deftly integrated Neil's words into the song.   There are almost no examples of cramming words in, or oddly phrased meters to make the lyrics work.  Except here; it feels like some of the lyrics are shoe-horned in, and because some of the lyrics are a bit... treacly, it just makes that more obvious.

Vital Signs isn't that bad, but it sticks out on what is otherwise a stellar album.  It's sort of a sore thumb.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #721 on: January 21, 2021, 02:11:21 PM »

I figured that this would gather someone’s ire as it seems to be a more liked song than others. And while that riff you speak of is a good display of some guitar skills, it’s not nearly enough to save the song for me from its lackluster verses, boring chorus, subpar lyrics, and mediocre solo. The abrupt end also doesn’t do it any favors as it feels like they couldn’t find any other way to close it out. It’s just a song that fails to connect with me on just about every level. But that’s also coming from someone who, aside from Subdivisions, Losing It, and Analog Kid, considers Signals as a whole to be a very tepid album. So take that for what it’s worth.

Not surprised to see Hold Your Fire songs come into play. Tai Shan isn’t a bad song, but it’s just so out of place for Rush that it doesn’t feel like it came from them. High Water is one I do like, but it’s just so mellow that closing the album with those two tracks feels quite anticlimactic. Other than that, I do like Hold Your Fire a lot, though it really took me a looooooooonnnnnng time to get it to click.

Putting Earthshine and Cygnus X-1 on this list though? I think I felt my blood pressure rise a little, though I’m not one to get too worked up on things like this. It’s all just a matter of taste in the end. :)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #722 on: January 21, 2021, 02:36:07 PM »

It's for sure in my bottom 5 Rush songs. The bridge section is its only redeeming factor, but the rest of the track is just a heaping helping of bland cheese that you'd hear in a medications commercial.

So my bottom 5 might shake out something like this:

Second Nature
Heresy
Dog Years
The Stars Look Down
Faithless

The inclusion of Red Lenses on some people's lists is enough to relegate said lists to the "Bottom 5 'Bottom 5 Rush Songs' Lists".

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: January 21, 2021, 02:42:51 PM »
Nobody's Hero
Vital Signs

I think the lyrics for Nobody's Hero sound... forced.  One of the great things about Rush is how they so deftly integrated Neil's words into the song.   There are almost no examples of cramming words in, or oddly phrased meters to make the lyrics work.  Except here; it feels like some of the lyrics are shoe-horned in, and because some of the lyrics are a bit... treacly, it just makes that more obvious.

Vital Signs isn't that bad, but it sticks out on what is otherwise a stellar album.  It's sort of a sore thumb.

The music is so emotional though for Nobody's Hero.  I think Neil came off too human for you.  You like your Peart Lyrics like Spock, not from Captain Kirk.  :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #724 on: January 21, 2021, 02:48:03 PM »

Ummmm...WHAT?  Not sure which Book you're talking about, but both are far more likely to show up in a TOP 10 list than a bottom anything list.

As far as Second Nature and Open Secrets, they're both pretty blah (as is most of HYF outside of Time Stand Still and Mission), but they're not really "bad" and certainly not hate-worthy.

The one on A Farewell to Kings. It just drones on without anything really interesting happening.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: January 21, 2021, 02:48:13 PM »
May I say that I have not thoroughly enjoyed serving with Humans? I find their illogic and foolish emotions a constant irritant.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: January 21, 2021, 03:12:13 PM »
May I say that I have not thoroughly enjoyed serving with Humans? I find their illogic and foolish emotions a constant irritant.

:lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #727 on: January 21, 2021, 03:23:15 PM »
Yes, yes, if anyone puts Open Secrets on their bottom 5 list, asses will be kicked.

I guess I get why some would say Chemistry, as the vocal melodies can be a bit lacking, but the music is pretty dynamite in that one, and I have grown to like it quite a bit.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #728 on: January 21, 2021, 03:28:04 PM »
So is this now the Rush thread, instead of the Rush thread?

Okay then.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #729 on: January 21, 2021, 03:45:19 PM »
I am considering doing a bottom 10 list, but I'm afraid that just a bunch of songs from the first two albums would end up on it. And there is no clear order on how much I dislike them.  :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #730 on: January 21, 2021, 03:48:53 PM »
I’d say if there’s one Rush song I’d put absolutely dead last it would be The Stars Look Down. I would rather listen to any other Rush song than this one.

Glad to see Chemistry getting some love too. The song flows quite awkwardly (I think each member contributed a different musical theme if I remember correctly) but it’s so Rush-esque that it’s hard not to love. Easily my favorite track on Signals after the equally nerdy Countdown.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #731 on: January 21, 2021, 03:51:22 PM »
So is this now the Rush thread, instead of the Rush thread?

Okay then.

:lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #732 on: January 21, 2021, 03:52:47 PM »
Also, fans of Chemistry are finally gathering? Count me in.  :tup

Offline Lupton

« Reply #733 on: January 21, 2021, 03:53:18 PM »
"Net boy. Net girl."   :lol

That's all I have  :justjen

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: January 21, 2021, 03:59:03 PM »