Author Topic: Neil Peart - Dead at 67  (Read 41461 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Neil Peart - Dead at 67
« Reply #805 on: January 30, 2021, 09:26:44 PM »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #806 on: January 30, 2021, 09:33:48 PM »
I don't mind the lyrics to Virtuality, and that riff is totally bad ass. I would rank that as one of the top songs on Test for Echo along with Resist.

There are definitely no bad songs on Clockwork Angels, but I agree that the sound could/should have been a lot better.  Imagine that record with a production similar to Counterparts. *drools*
Agreed.  This album does not have that crisp production like Counterparts. It makes me wonder why they didn't catch that in the studio. Same thing with the CA tour, Neil's drums were muddled in the mix when I saw them. It also shows on the bluray.

It boggles the mind how so many older bands, whose records sounded great in their younger days, allowed their later albums to be victimized by the bad trends of modern production, especially in the case of Rush who always had creative control over their music since 1976.

I’m convinced older artists have simply lost too much hearing between years of playing loud music and age, and it’s possible the heavily compressed mastering actually sounds better to them.

Agreed.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #807 on: January 30, 2021, 09:35:10 PM »
If someone replaced the old guy on the back of the Change of Seasons EP with that Bernie meme it would be a bit more appropriate...

Another good one.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #808 on: January 30, 2021, 09:36:45 PM »
Awesome!  :rollin

And since adding Bernie to album covers seems to be a thing for now...

That one works too.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #809 on: January 30, 2021, 09:38:13 PM »
Well, for all their faults, Rolling Stone keeps killing it with the Rush content. Fantastic interview with Geddy on his relationship with Neil. Some really cool background on the band’s inner working and insight into Neil’s personality in here.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/geddy-lee-neil-peart-interview-rush-1120190/?fbclid=IwAR0ir7Wr9hUjfra3Uhr6aAJVvsWUZg03xUq0BG-TeaIE0v9A6Rp1TcR7d34

Nothing new of course but a great job anyway. Very tasteful.

Offline pg1067

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #811 on: January 31, 2021, 08:16:14 AM »
I never noticed that there were people on the original T4E album cover.  Huh.

Offline HOF

« Reply #812 on: February 01, 2021, 06:46:20 AM »
Well, for all their faults, Rolling Stone keeps killing it with the Rush content. Fantastic interview with Geddy on his relationship with Neil. Some really cool background on the band’s inner working and insight into Neil’s personality in here.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/geddy-lee-neil-peart-interview-rush-1120190/?fbclid=IwAR0ir7Wr9hUjfra3Uhr6aAJVvsWUZg03xUq0BG-TeaIE0v9A6Rp1TcR7d34

Re-upping this Geddy Lee interview for the Monday crowd since it got a little bit buried over the weekend.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #813 on: February 01, 2021, 07:18:21 AM »

Same!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #814 on: February 01, 2021, 10:36:38 AM »
Same!
Funny that you guys both missed that. I remember reading (probably around the time the album was released) that Alex was actually the one who made the suggestion to include people in the image to give us an idea of how big the inukshuk was supposed to be.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #815 on: February 13, 2021, 04:36:26 PM »
Same!
Funny that you guys both missed that. I remember reading (probably around the time the album was released) that Alex was actually the one who made the suggestion to include people in the image to give us an idea of how big the inukshuk was supposed to be.

They were supposed to represent each band member if I recall correctly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #816 on: December 09, 2023, 06:36:03 AM »
Going back and re-reading this thread was something else.

The legacy of the Professor lives on.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy