Author Topic: Neil Peart - Dead at 67  (Read 43483 times)

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
Re: Neil Peart - Dead at 67
« Reply #490 on: January 10, 2021, 06:27:25 PM »
R40 was 12 for me as well.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #491 on: January 10, 2021, 06:46:10 PM »
I feel like I'm the only person who didn't see them on the R40 tour. At the time I was thinking I would catch them on the next tour..... :(

I did see them on every tour before that going back to the Counterparts tour at least.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #492 on: January 10, 2021, 08:08:53 PM »
R40 was my 8th and final show. I will never forget feeling like it was the end of an era with the comments about both Neil and Alex dealing with physical issues performing every night.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #493 on: January 10, 2021, 08:42:04 PM »
Amazing drum cam footage
https://youtu.be/l3T-9wCVQPw?t=1
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #494 on: January 10, 2021, 09:17:27 PM »
Amazing drum cam footage

Cool.  Just a shame it’s layered on the studio version of the song, not the actual audio of that drum cam.  :\
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #495 on: January 10, 2021, 09:25:10 PM »
Amazing drum cam footage

Cool.  Just a shame it’s layered on the studio version of the song, not the actual audio of that drum cam.  :\

I could be wrong but I think they were showing that his live performance is perfectly in sync with the studio. Which, unless he’s using a click, is just insanity.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #496 on: January 10, 2021, 09:28:40 PM »
Amazing drum cam footage

I could be wrong but I think they were showing that his live performance is perfectly in sync with the studio. Which, unless he’s using a click, is just insanity.
I believe the only time he used a click was for Red Sector A. If I remember correctly.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #497 on: January 10, 2021, 09:44:41 PM »
Neil used a click for any song that had extended sequencing, e.g. Time Stand Still, Roll The Bones, etc. In order to make sure the band came in and out and stayed on with the rap in RTB, he played to a click, and there was a sequencer section in the outer bridge to TSS that he rode a click into. He mentioned this in a really cool clinic he did on the Bones tour. It's on youtube if you search it (sorry, going to sleep now or id find the link).
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #498 on: January 10, 2021, 09:50:12 PM »
Neil used a click for any song that had extended sequencing, e.g. Time Stand Still, Roll The Bones, etc. In order to make sure the band came in and out and stayed on with the rap in RTB, he played to a click, and there was a sequencer section in the outer bridge to TSS that he rode a click into. He mentioned this in a really cool clinic he did on the Bones tour. It's on youtube if you search it (sorry, going to sleep now or id find the link).
Learn something new every day. Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find that video.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #499 on: January 10, 2021, 10:06:55 PM »
Here you go. There are a few versions, some split up. This is the most complete, I think.

https://youtu.be/CBNfDggYVlw

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #500 on: January 10, 2021, 10:33:21 PM »
It's stuff like this that really show Neil was just on a whole other level from most drummers. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Lethean

« Reply #501 on: January 10, 2021, 11:04:10 PM »
I feel like I'm the only person who didn't see them on the R40 tour. At the time I was thinking I would catch them on the next tour..... :(

I did see them on every tour before that going back to the Counterparts tour at least.

:(  I think you probably need a hug. So, *hugs*

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #502 on: January 10, 2021, 11:21:30 PM »

:(  I think you probably need a hug. So, *hugs*
:hug:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Mladen

« Reply #503 on: January 11, 2021, 01:17:44 AM »
I saw them once.

I am grateful.  ;)

Offline frogprog

« Reply #504 on: January 11, 2021, 08:29:50 AM »
R 40 was my 23rd show and I almost didn't see it. The tickets were so damn expensive that I decided against forking out the dough. I ended up reconsidering knowing it would be my last chance and I'm so glad I did, it was really such a great tour.
Ticket for first show (GUP tour) $6.75 at the Spectrum in Philly
Ticket for R 40 $350.00 at Wells Fargo in Philly.
$6.75 tickets were much better seats.
Isn't that crazy?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #505 on: January 11, 2021, 08:49:17 AM »
That is crazy.  You must have gotten resale tickets or maybe the Ticketmaster premium seats because face value was much less.  I think maybe $150 at the more expensive venues.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #506 on: January 11, 2021, 08:53:23 AM »

No, me too.  At the time it made sense; I saw them so many times up to that point, and they didn't play Hartford.   I always love a good trip to the City, but for some reason I didn't pull the trigger.   

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #507 on: January 11, 2021, 09:19:42 AM »
I didn't become a fan (beyond the radio hits) until '89.  Only missed the Counterparts tour (was in Uni) after that.  Though, I didn't see them multiple times too often.  I think I got 9 or 10 shows under my belt.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #508 on: January 11, 2021, 10:23:49 AM »
R 40 was my 23rd show and I almost didn't see it. The tickets were so damn expensive that I decided against forking out the dough. I ended up reconsidering knowing it would be my last chance and I'm so glad I did, it was really such a great tour.
Ticket for first show (GUP tour) $6.75 at the Spectrum in Philly
Ticket for R 40 $350.00 at Wells Fargo in Philly.
$6.75 tickets were much better seats.
Isn't that crazy?

R40 was my 20th Rush show (nice round number).  I saw every tour at least once going back to GUP.  I don't have the ticket stub from that first show.  The ticket below is from my second Rush concert.  $16.50 face value, but my friend and I bought these seats from a ticket broker, and I think we paid about $70.  For R40 (the Aug. 1, 2015 show at the Forum), I bought my ticket on Stubhub.  Don't remember exactly how much, but it was in the $250 range.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline frogprog

« Reply #509 on: January 11, 2021, 11:27:39 AM »
Yeah there was definitely some upcharging going on but we had waited so long *I think* it was sold out so we had to do what was necessary. My buddy actually subsidized my ticket as payback for all the shows I have treated him to over the years when he was broke. He and I saw 22 of the 23 together. Every tour since GUP most tours multiple nights in Philly and NY. Good times...The sound track of my youth!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #510 on: January 11, 2021, 11:56:40 AM »
Not seeing R40 will turn out to be my biggest regret in life. Back on the mp forum another user who lived in the same city even offered me to see the show with him. Can't remember the reason why I didn't go but recall it being something very trivial. I didn't follow the banter that many fans had suspected this would be their last tour for whatever reason. The live boxsets are nice, would've been nice to see the guys live at least once being a fan since early 2000s.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #511 on: January 11, 2021, 12:06:09 PM »
Rush was my one "never miss." I found a way to see at least one show per tour from 1994 onward, and that amounted to 12 shows. Having read what I had read, I knew in my heart that was going to be the last time I saw them live, but there was also a faint kindling that at some point down the line, maybe the boys would get together for a one-off, maybe in NYC or something. I would have absolutely invested in going to that. This time last year, amidst it all, one of the things I felt was immensely fortunate to have been to able to see and witness and enjoy all that I had, and gratitude that the band had been so gracious to share the majority of their lives with thousands (millions?) of people they would never know.

Rush, and Neil, were something undeniably special to those who loved them. It's this one universal good, for me. There was always Rush, and there is always the music. That will never die.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #512 on: January 11, 2021, 12:08:07 PM »
 I had to skip R40 too. I was living in Rio at the time, and there was always that hope that they would eventually come back - I could NEVER understand them calling it quits without playing in Rio again, a place that had quite a significance in their history. Also, my daughter was 01 year old at the time R40 was happening, so I couldn't travel to the US and leave her alone with her mom. I did watch many of those concerts through Periscope, but obviously nothing beats the energy of being in the crowd. No regrets though, I would hate myself for leaving the family at such an important time for a concert.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #513 on: January 11, 2021, 01:24:17 PM »
Yeah there was definitely some upcharging going on but we had waited so long *I think* it was sold out so we had to do what was necessary. My buddy actually subsidized my ticket as payback for all the shows I have treated him to over the years when he was broke. He and I saw 22 of the 23 together. Every tour since GUP most tours multiple nights in Philly and NY. Good times...The sound track of my youth!

My best friend who (I think) attended all but one of my Rush shows with me was having some financial issues at the time, so he wasn't able to go to R40, so I didn't get a ticket when they went on sale.  I think that's the reason I went aftermarket on Stubhub.  Rush is the one band that I got a hall pass to see live during the couple years after my son was born in 2002.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #514 on: January 11, 2021, 02:21:13 PM »
I saw every tour from 1984 (GUP Tour) to R40.  31 in all and 3 opening shows of 3 different tours.

Power Windows
Vapor Trails (Emotional night)
Clockwork Angels
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #515 on: January 11, 2021, 03:25:05 PM »
I saw every tour from 1984 (GUP Tour) to R40.  31 in all and 3 opening shows of 3 different tours.

Power Windows
Vapor Trails (Emotional night)
Clockwork Angels

That's the best part; I've been at I think three tour opening nights (I don't think Rush).   But they liked starting on the East Coast, which was cool. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #516 on: January 11, 2021, 03:51:29 PM »
It's always fun to peruse back through the set lists over the years to see what was played and what wasn't, and for my own personal journey, it's still kind of funny that I never saw them play In the Mood. From 1974 through the Presto tour, I believe it was a staple on practically every tour, and then I first saw them on the Roll the Bones tour and the song was never played again. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: January 11, 2021, 04:20:36 PM »
I loved that.  I had my own list of songs I would kill to see live.  Presto was one. Vapor Trail was another. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #518 on: January 11, 2021, 07:02:30 PM »
Neil is just the best, I adore his playing    RIP
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #519 on: January 11, 2021, 08:43:46 PM »
I loved that.  I had my own list of songs I would kill to see live.  Presto was one. Vapor Trail was another.

It was a bummer that Manhattan Project was a rotated song on the Clockwork Angels tour (with Dreamline), thus I never got to see that one live, but based on the rotations, I might have missed out on Middletown Dreams for The Body Electric had our rotation gone another way, so I was thrilled we got Middletown Dreams and Dreamline instead of The Body Electric and Manhattan Project. Plus, we got The Pass, which was rotated with Bravado, another great one, but I would have rather gotten The Pass, so I was happy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #520 on: January 11, 2021, 08:45:21 PM »
Plus, we got The Pass, which was rotated with Bravado, another great one, but I would have rather gotten The Pass, so I was happy.

These would be on the list of songs I wished I'd never had to sit through live.

Unfortunately, The T4E tour was the last time I saw Rush.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: January 11, 2021, 08:47:36 PM »
It's like reading a buddy eat from a famous chef and say the meal was meh.

Tim you fucking metalhead.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: January 11, 2021, 08:51:08 PM »
I would have loved to sit through any Rush songs.  :-[
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #523 on: January 11, 2021, 08:51:27 PM »
 :lol

Oddly, I freaking love the Presto album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #524 on: January 11, 2021, 08:54:12 PM »
It really is too bad that more Presto songs weren't played this century (The Pass and the title track were the only ones), but I get that they had so much material at that point and only so many spots in the set lists.  Chain Lightning and Available Light are two songs that never got played that damn well should have been.