Author Topic: Neil Peart - Dead at 67  (Read 41455 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Neil Peart - Dead at 67
« Reply #421 on: January 29, 2020, 08:48:07 AM »
Did you listen to A Farewell To Kings?  What say you?  I'm not sure it's their "best" album, but it might be the very sweetspot between all their various influences.   

I did once or twice, and I didn't dislike it, but not enough spins to give an actual opinion. I've been on a big blues kick lately, I grabbed a bunch of Joe Bonamassa and Black Country Communion stuff when JB had a big sale for his online store a few weeks ago. So it's been all that (and some other blues) and then also trying to get familiar with the new SOA album before their show. Rush is next on my list though.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #422 on: January 29, 2020, 07:13:26 PM »
Been really interesting reading this thread over the last few weeks, a lot of you guys were way more into Rush than I've been and clearly he had a huge impact on everyone, both with his lyrics and his playing. I was always familiar with the hits from Moving Pictures, and I owned 2112 because I'm pretty sure it's required by law if you love prog rock epics. I picked up Clockwork Angels and Permanent Waves at some point along the way and then pulled the trigger at the very last minute (I'm talking like an hour before the show started) on a ticket to see the Madison Square Garden show on their final tour. I had heard the whispers that this was probably their last tour and felt like it was a bucket list item for any prog fan. I ended up in the 14th row and saw an absolute killer show. I picked up the A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary release not too long ago, but never paid it much mind. Still though, was absolutely shocked when the news broke a few weeks ago. A few days later I saw Umphrey's McGee cover Anthem to pay their respects (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cku2sr9DMRI) which led to me picking up both Fly By Night and Exit Stage Left (what a setlist), both of which I've enjoyed very much.

Didn't really like the vocal phrasing much, but otherwise it was pretty good. I could watch/listen to Umphrey's play all night.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #425 on: February 01, 2020, 08:39:09 AM »
Went to a friends's house last night who was having a few of us over and we eventually ended up watching all of Rush in Rio.  I did so much air drumming that my body feels today like I actually went to a concert. :lol :metal :metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #426 on: February 05, 2020, 05:30:26 PM »
Went to a friends's house last night who was having a few of us over and we eventually ended up watching all of Rush in Rio.  I did so much air drumming that my body feels today like I actually went to a concert. :lol :metal :metal

I watched the doc on that Rio disc a few days ago myself.  Generally will save the live DVDs for weekends.

It's great that they really loosened up with that stuff after the hiatus.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #427 on: February 05, 2020, 07:03:56 PM »

I watched the doc on that Rio disc a few days ago myself.  Generally will save the live DVDs for weekends.

It's great that they really loosened up with that stuff after the hiatus.

The Rio documentary was almost surreal at the time.  I don't think the younger peeps here realize how guarded and private the band was in the 20th century.  Sure, they'd do interviews, but we rarely got any behind the scenes footage or anything like that, and then they came back from the hiatus and we were spoiled beyond belief from 2002-2015. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #428 on: February 08, 2020, 10:14:54 AM »
the Cleveland DJ who was interviewed in Beyond the Lighted Stage, Donna Halper was interviewed recently

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news/2020/02/07/remembering-rush-drummer-neil-peart-with-the-boston-woman-who-discovered-the-band

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #429 on: February 14, 2020, 08:45:16 AM »
JFC - this is one of the most incredible renditions of this song I have ever heard and it's done in memory of Neil.
You're going to tear up, I can almost guarantee it.

https://youtu.be/aAPSK_cV5n0
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: February 14, 2020, 09:07:17 AM »
There's something in my eye.  :'(
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #431 on: February 14, 2020, 09:27:48 AM »
Wow, that was incredible!   :'( :coolio :heart
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline romdrums

« Reply #432 on: February 14, 2020, 09:31:34 AM »
That was beautiful.  That arrangement really made me realize how powerful that song is.   :'(
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #433 on: February 14, 2020, 09:39:40 AM »
Wow, that was incredible!   :'( :coolio :heart

A massive understatement! :hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #434 on: February 14, 2020, 09:44:54 AM »
Wow, that was something else. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline T-ski

« Reply #435 on: February 14, 2020, 09:47:02 AM »
fantastic tribute.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #436 on: February 14, 2020, 06:41:26 PM »
The piano was great on that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #437 on: February 15, 2020, 05:17:52 AM »
There is no word in the english language to appropriately describe this.   :'(
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #438 on: February 15, 2020, 10:36:40 AM »
I shared that beautiful rendition of Time Stand Still on fb yesterday and still haven't got one like or comment.
 If I were to post a picture of a half eaten meal on my plate, I would get 50 or more likes... WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS WORLD??!!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline T-ski

« Reply #439 on: February 15, 2020, 10:41:07 AM »
I shared that beautiful rendition of Time Stand Still on fb yesterday and still haven't got one like or comment.
 If I were to post a picture of a half eaten meal on my plate, I would get 50 or more likes... WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS WORLD??!!!

shared it as well, got one like and a share.  I did see that the view of the video went from 2,500 yesterday when I first saw it to 85,00 24hrs later.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #440 on: February 15, 2020, 10:48:49 AM »

My guess is that the logic of the average FB person is, a picture is easy to look at for two seconds, click the like button, and move on, as opposed to taking the time to watch a video.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #441 on: February 15, 2020, 11:06:57 AM »

My guess is that the logic of the average FB person is, a picture is easy to look at for two seconds, click the like button, and move on, as opposed to taking the time to watch a video.
Oh, you mean A.D.D.    :biggrin:

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #442 on: February 15, 2020, 12:26:43 PM »

Oh, you mean A.D.D.    :biggrin:
Welcome to the impatience and need for instant gratification of modern society  :yeahright
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #443 on: February 15, 2020, 12:28:57 PM »
What about posting a link?
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: February 16, 2020, 06:35:55 AM »
JFC - this is one of the most incredible renditions of this song I have ever heard and it's done in memory of Neil.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #445 on: February 17, 2020, 07:34:11 AM »
I find it funny how many of you had similar social reactions to me. I got some reactions and comments, but it was minimal.

24 hours after I shared it, I noticed no fewer than 5 of my own friends sharing it, none directly from my share. The tangled web of social media is quite interesting.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #446 on: February 17, 2020, 04:12:28 PM »
I have to admit, I saw the link posted a few places, and I ignored it.  A cover by the U.S. Army Band?  No thanks.  But I clicked it here, and I'm glad I did.  That was amazing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #447 on: February 27, 2020, 05:44:31 PM »
There is no word in the english language to appropriately describe this.   :'(

None.

I just added water(works) Thought I'd climbed over that mountain.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: February 28, 2020, 04:50:51 AM »

This was beyond beautiful.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #449 on: February 28, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »

that doesn't surprise me, a friend of mine was shown on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver a few weeks ago and got only 2 likes, and 1 was her, lol.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #450 on: February 28, 2020, 12:10:55 PM »

that doesn't surprise me, a friend of mine was shown on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver a few weeks ago and got only 2 likes, and 1 was her, lol.

I'll be honest, though; some of it is the subject matter. I'm sort of sensitive to the context here. I liked it, I have a deep sense of appreciation for the military and the contributions they make for us (my stepson is in Afghanistan serving now), but if I don't quite agree with all the sentiments (not saying if I do or not) I'm more likely to not say anything than be "that guy". 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #451 on: March 14, 2020, 06:46:26 PM »
I might have tried to make this even though it is on a week night. Still may be a chance I suppose.

https://www.ardmoremusic.com/e/a-celebration-of-neil-peart-rush-ft-members-of-dr-dog-more--99058593921/

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #452 on: March 14, 2020, 07:56:21 PM »
I might have tried to make this even though it is on a week night. Still may be a chance I suppose.

https://www.ardmoremusic.com/e/a-celebration-of-neil-peart-rush-ft-members-of-dr-dog-more--99058593921/
That is an awesome lineup! Cool to see In the Presence of Wolves on there, I always thought they had major Rush influences in their music.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: March 15, 2020, 06:10:09 AM »
Not exactly the best presser, when it has this in his bio:

Neil lives in California with his wife Carrie, daughter Olivia, and golden retriever Winston, and also maintains a home in Quebec–a link to his Canadian roots.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #454 on: March 21, 2020, 05:04:51 PM »
Not exactly the best presser, when it has this in his bio:

Neil lives in California with his wife Carrie, daughter Olivia, and golden retriever Winston, and also maintains a home in Quebec–a link to his Canadian roots.

Insensitively not edited very well.   This is canceled along with everything else. I would imagine the tribute show in St. Catherines  didn't survive the chopping block either.