Author Topic: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music  (Read 29149 times)

Offline Snow Dog

Re: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music
« Reply #490 on: October 24, 2019, 10:15:01 AM »
Baby Got Back is the dumbest song ever.

I don't understand how you autocorrected "Shark" into "Got Back"?

Kids’ songs get a pass since they’re all pointlessly dumb. That being said, “Baby Shark” is one song that’ll be banned from playing in my house as my son grows up. Supremely annoying.

As for actual songs, I’ll take any of those previously mentioned over “My Humps.”

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #491 on: October 24, 2019, 10:53:48 AM »

I don't understand how you autocorrected "Shark" into "Got Back"?
Oh sweet thanks for letting me know what to send whenever you run your next roulette  :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: October 24, 2019, 11:17:03 AM »

You mean Barbie Girl.

This. I can't stand this damn song.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #493 on: October 24, 2019, 11:44:00 AM »
I didn't know Baby Shark (at all) and didn't think I knew Barbie Girl (but I did, just didn't know the name), so I went and listened to both. 

I ought to sue.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #494 on: October 24, 2019, 11:54:03 AM »
Baby Shark is, according to billboard, one of the hundred biggest songs of the year (or it will be when they publish the list in December)

Think about it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #495 on: October 24, 2019, 12:21:12 PM »
I didn't know Baby Shark (at all) and didn't think I knew Barbie Girl (but I did, just didn't know the name), so I went and listened to both. 

I ought to sue.

Need me to take you to the hospital?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: October 24, 2019, 12:23:11 PM »

I ought to sue.

I'm weak and can barely stand. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #497 on: October 24, 2019, 12:23:38 PM »
Come on Stadler let's go party
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #498 on: October 24, 2019, 12:25:29 PM »

I ought to sue.

I'm weak and can barely stand.

My charisma is too much, I know.

Never though I'd read that sentence.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #499 on: October 24, 2019, 12:55:30 PM »

I ought to sue.

Barbie Girl resulted in a rather well known lawsuit filed by Mattel against MCA Records, alleging violation of by copyright and trademark rights.  MCA counterclaimed for defamation.  The 9th Circuit eventually issued an opinion (written by Alex Kozinski) that closes with one of the best lines from an appellate opinion ever:  "The parties are advised to chill."  Not surprising given the law firm that Mattel hired.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #500 on: October 24, 2019, 01:16:18 PM »

I ought to sue.

Barbie Girl resulted in a rather well known lawsuit filed by Mattel against MCA Records, alleging violation of by copyright and trademark rights.  MCA counterclaimed for defamation.  The 9th Circuit eventually issued an opinion (written by Alex Kozinski) that closes with one of the best lines from an appellate opinion ever:  "The parties are advised to chill."  Not surprising given the law firm that Mattel hired.
Really? That outcome is very Monty Pythonian to me :D
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #501 on: October 24, 2019, 01:22:47 PM »
Baby Shark is, according to billboard, one of the hundred biggest songs of the year (or it will be when they publish the list in December)

Think about it.
In a shocking development, it turns out that, unlike all (?) parties involved in this conversation, a large amount of people have very small children and have to cater to them with the mindless tune of the day  :heart

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline pg1067

« Reply #502 on: October 24, 2019, 01:47:33 PM »

I ought to sue.

Really? That outcome is very Monty Pythonian to me :D

Well...there was more to it than that, and you can read the full opinion here:  https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=4174039731032587001

There's a lengthy (and non-Pythonian) analysis of the trademark and other "real" legal issues, and the "parties are advised to chill" comment comes at the end of a two paragraph analysis of MCA's defamation counterclaim.  The defamation claim was based on a bunch of "rhetorical hyperbole" spoken by Mattel representatives in the press and was, generously, silly.  Knowing and having worked with the lawyers for MCA, I'm a bit surprised the counterclaim was made.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #503 on: October 24, 2019, 01:48:39 PM »
I don't mind Baby Shark.  But what I do find annoying is that most people seem to think it is a hot, new Internet phenom, when it has been a popular kids' camp song for well over a decade at least (I think I first heard it around 2011-ish). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #504 on: October 24, 2019, 01:56:32 PM »
I don't mind Baby Shark.  But what I do find annoying is that most people seem to think it is a hot, new Internet phenom, when it has been a popular kids' camp song for well over a decade at least (I think I first heard it around 2011-ish).

Well...it's both.  According to the sourced Wikipedia article, it's origins are decades old, but it was first popularized by a 2007 YouTube video.  The recent internet sensation began with a video uploaded to YouTube in 2015.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Shark

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: October 24, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize it was that old.  Totally seemed new to me and I discovered it two years ago through my new born niece who just loved and still loves it.  Both my nieces now immediately start dancing when hearing the song.  It's catchy but its fine for what it is, just overplayed.  I feel bad for my sister who probably hears it 10 times a day, every day.  I've got to babysit them on Saturday so I guess I'll be getting my dose of it soon enough.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: October 24, 2019, 02:07:24 PM »

Think about it.
In a shocking development, it turns out that, unlike all (?) parties involved in this conversation, a large amount of people have very small children and have to cater to them with the mindless tune of the day  :heart

Well, I'm past that phase now (she left for college a month and a half ago) but I'm very proud to say I entertained her musical tastes every step of the way.  You have to start somewhere, and forgive me for thinking that "King Crimson - The Devil's Triangle, Pts. 1, 2, and 3" is not the right place.  I can still, to this day, sing The Wiggles, "Fruit Salad" word for word.   I have seen Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus live once, and the Jonas Bros. twice...  and regret none of it.  She's now formed a love of music, and almost weekly comes to me with a "hey, do you like x?" that would keep step with most people here.  She's not into prog, yet, but certainly understands that people like Freddie Mercury, Neal Schon and Lindsey Buckingham are real players and true artists, and was visibly pissed she had to miss Iron Maiden when they came through in August. 

Hell, I started with "Snoopy And The Red Baron" by The Royal Guardsmen and Sha Na Na.   (And small world; twice now I've seen Ritchie Blackmore and the song playing as the theater emptied was... Snoopy And The Red Baron!)

Baby Shark still sucks, but if it plays a role in developing a musical taste/appreciation, so be it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: October 24, 2019, 02:15:36 PM »
You have to start somewhere, and forgive me for thinking that "King Crimson - The Devil's Triangle, Pts. 1, 2, and 3" is not the right place. 
My point exactly.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #508 on: October 24, 2019, 03:01:22 PM »
Baby Bosk do do do do.  :lol

Stuff of nightmares.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #509 on: October 24, 2019, 03:30:49 PM »
:bosky:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #510 on: October 24, 2019, 03:32:06 PM »
Here's my hot music take:

The Beatles made some good music

Offline romdrums

« Reply #511 on: October 24, 2019, 03:39:49 PM »
Here's my hot music take:

The Beatles made some good music

Now there's a hot take if I've ever seen one.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #512 on: October 24, 2019, 03:49:15 PM »
I know, I'm a little embarrassed  :blush

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #513 on: October 24, 2019, 04:36:24 PM »
My obligatory Beatles are overrated post. I'd rather listen to anything else from that time period.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #514 on: October 24, 2019, 05:15:13 PM »
Revolution 9 tho

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #515 on: October 24, 2019, 05:24:49 PM »

Ooo woah, ooo woah.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #516 on: October 27, 2019, 07:00:24 AM »
There is one guy in the ProgPower community who keeps laughing at my opinions on Facebook and calling them nonsense. I'm not even friends with him but I finally had enough and blocked him.

The prog metal community has a snob problem, I've noticed, and I'm really tired of these dweebs who can't let others have an opinion without mocking them or trying to make them feel like they're wrong.

All this to say that I don't think SFAM is perfect, I don't think it's the best DT album, I don't think it's god's gift to music like some people think it is. Sometimes I wonder if these people even listen to anything outside of the rock and metal musical world.

Rant over. Where's my coffee...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #517 on: October 27, 2019, 07:11:45 AM »
There is one guy in the ProgPower community who keeps laughing at my opinions on Facebook and calling them nonsense. I'm not even friends with him but I finally had enough and blocked him.

The prog metal community has a snob problem, I've noticed, and I'm really tired of these dweebs who can't let others have an opinion without mocking them or trying to make them feel like they're wrong.

All this to say that I don't think SFAM is perfect, I don't think it's the best DT album, I don't think it's god's gift to music like some people think it is. Sometimes I wonder if these people even listen to anything outside of the rock and metal musical world.

I know, I'm one of them
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: October 27, 2019, 09:07:09 AM »
I don't understand the hostility towards others music opinions.  I think it's a big reason why metal music won't be "big" anymore, there's way too much hatred within the community towards each other, sometimes because one's opinions aren't "metal enough" which is ridiculous.  Like the people in the Progpower community who shit on Night Flight Orchestra... just keep your negative and hateful opinions to yourself.  You don't need to like it, but there's no reason to shit on it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #519 on: October 27, 2019, 09:17:01 AM »

I've found those folks to be pretty shallow and close-minded, not worth your time and energy. You did right in blocking him :tup

I don't understand the hostility towards others music opinions.
They tie their identities quite close to their tastes in music and probably other media. That's how they feel connected to other people or alienated, they've forgotten than consumerism is not identity. Pretty silly thing :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: October 27, 2019, 09:52:49 AM »
I don't understand the hostility towards others music opinions.  I think it's a big reason why metal music won't be "big" anymore, there's way too much hatred within the community towards each other, sometimes because one's opinions aren't "metal enough" which is ridiculous.  Like the people in the Progpower community who shit on Night Flight Orchestra... just keep your negative and hateful opinions to yourself.  You don't need to like it, but there's no reason to shit on it.

I agree with this 100%.   1000%. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: October 28, 2019, 04:15:37 AM »

I agree with this 100%.   1000%.
I agree with this, but only 50% or less  :P yeah, there's a lot of hostility out there. But, there's people who engage in good-natured ribbing of bands other people love. Sometimes, the metal community goes nuts over those few bands that are aggressively marketed as "that cool new band that elitists just love to hate because they hate fun" by Nuclear Blast or whoever (like Sabaton, or Amaranthe, or Ghost, or now TNFO - finally one band I actually love!!), and it's not fun being the curmudgeon that's being told by everyone to shut up about not liking them. When you're in a bad mood, or when you're online, or when you just can't read other people's intentions all that well because you don't know them that well, it's easy to misread someone's opinions and think of them as a dumbass elitist.

I have a friend who pokes fun at my taste in music all the time. His favorite genre is 90's death metal. I imagine he finds new bands to listen to by firing up the advanced search on Metal Archives, selecting "demo", typing in "death" into the search box, limiting the timespan to "1989 - 1999" and looking up the recordings until he finds one that someone actually uploaded to Youtube. Sometimes I wanna poke him right back about how the music he listens to is objectively bad on several different counts, and generally unappealing to me :coolio but if I do that, I lose, because he's just shooting shit and expecting me to take the bait.

Back when metal was big, you could get serious shit thrown at you for just, like, adding keyboards to a few of the songs. Or having your songs played on the radio in the first place, because that is untrveee. Bands with female vocalists were barely considered, there was barely any outside influences in metal - Cynic got so much shit for advancing their genre, Death too. I think nowadays metalheads are much more open minded than they were back when Metallica played stadiums.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 04:38:19 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #522 on: October 28, 2019, 04:54:52 AM »
I feel like I have experienced a lot of elitism among metal fans and prog fans but part of me also thinks it comes with the fact that these are 2 types of music (i know metal is very broad) I listen to a lot so I just encounter these people naturally. I remember the whole Taylor Swift/Tool schism (no pun intended) and getting a glimpse into the pop fans who listen to Taylor Swift, it seems like there's a lot of elitism there as well. I just don't really hang around in many circles for pop music so it's not something I had picked up on before.

But yeah the whole argument for what is metal or not just takes me back to being 14 in school and having these types of discussions with friends whether KoRn or Slipknot were more metal. I honestly can't believe there's grown people who still haven't gotten past this.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #523 on: October 28, 2019, 10:28:17 AM »
I guess I should consider myself lucky. I've encountered some negative people (just using that as an umbrella term for elitists/rude people etc), but they're few and far between. My experience with metal fans has been overwhelmingly positive.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #524 on: October 28, 2019, 12:55:37 PM »
I don't understand the hostility towards others music opinions.  I think it's a big reason why metal music won't be "big" anymore, there's way too much hatred within the community towards each other, sometimes because one's opinions aren't "metal enough" which is ridiculous. 

I don't disagree about the snobbiness.  But it isn't limited to metal and it certainly isn't new.  Heck, on both of those themes, the east coast vs. west coast hip hop feuds of the '80s were legendary.  Two of the mellowest dudes you can imagine, Ice-T and L.L. Cool J were savage in calling out each other and the respective rap communities as being weak, sell-outs, not "genuine," not "hard core" enough, etc.  And the fans were even more savage.  That's just one of an endless number of examples.  It exists in all genres.