Author Topic: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music  (Read 28573 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music
« Reply #315 on: April 18, 2019, 09:20:43 AM »

I don't really agree with that.  Most of my favorite artists do indeed blend things together, and I think that's what makes them so interesting for me.  But that experience may be different for others.

I have a theory that the very best bands are the ones that STRADDLE genres (or at least bring other genres into their "preferred" one) and rarely are the top tier bands PURELY in one genre, unless they virtually created it (ala Metallica).   Genesis wasn't just prog, they were pop songwriters from the get-go.   Zeppelin wasn't just "blues", they had a very deep folk streak (even in the electric material).

Thank you, beautifully put. Perfect adherence to a genre makes an act, well, generic to me. I love DT, prog metal bores me, and I could mention a dozen similar instances.

I pretty much agree with that in terms of my own tastes as well.  (Although, I love a lot of prog metal).  But I'm sure there are exceptions of artists that are more "straight" in one genre that are great, or that appeal to others if not to me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #316 on: April 18, 2019, 09:28:22 AM »
I dunno.  I like what I like.  If it happens to be a band that fits squarely into a single genre, that's fine.  If it happens to be a band that incorporates others genres or styles into their music, that's fine too.  If it sounds good and someone likes it, who cares?  :dunno: 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #317 on: April 18, 2019, 09:46:37 AM »
I dunno.  I like what I like.  If it happens to be a band that fits squarely into a single genre, that's fine.  If it happens to be a band that incorporates others genres or styles into their music, that's fine too.  If it sounds good and someone likes it, who cares?  :dunno:

:tup

Agreed.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #318 on: April 18, 2019, 02:20:59 PM »
I think there are few people who actually listen to *nothing* but metal.  There are some, but I bet the vast majority like, even love, at least one song that's not metal.  Even those who might make negative comments about "pop" in general probably like something.  But if you think metal fans are bad - well, we're far from the worst.  And, we generally don't think fans of other genres of music are degenerates of some sort.

One thing is for sure. Most metalheads are hostile towards hip hop. Anything rap is crap to them, they just tend to dismiss the entire genre of that music.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #319 on: April 18, 2019, 02:29:33 PM »
Opinion: metal is the only genre of music ever and anything not classified as metal isn't real music

Classical music >>>>> metal
And I'm saying this as someone who listens metal way more than classical.

Wagner's "Ride Of The Valkyries" blows (widely considered) the best songs in metal away.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 02:41:59 PM by WildRanger »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #320 on: April 18, 2019, 03:14:57 PM »
Opinion: metal is the only genre of music ever and anything not classified as metal isn't real music

Wagner's "Ride Of The Valkyries" blows (widely considered) the best songs in metal away.

Elmur Fudd singing "Kill duh wabbit..." >>>>>>>>>>>>> Ride of the Valkyries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxiv3CBMS4M
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: April 18, 2019, 03:43:11 PM »
Ride of the Valkyries as used in Apocalypse Now >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ride of the Valkyries in any other context
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: April 18, 2019, 06:28:42 PM »

Elmur Fudd singing "Kill duh wabbit..." >>>>>>>>>>>>> Ride of the Valkyries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxiv3CBMS4M

Finally! Someone gets my love of Elmer’s singing.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #323 on: April 28, 2019, 04:55:20 AM »
Maybe not really "controversial", and I'll say it as an hyperbole catered to my selfish desires and tastes, but.... Lady Gaga should totally ditch her techno / pop style and go full on rock - metal. At the very least, she should do an acoustic album, piano and voice only, of her best known (or more fitting) songs of her catalogue, I'd buy it in an heartbeat.

Not a fan of her actual style at all, but she can sing and she can obviously can compose and on YouTube you can find piano versions of stuff like Bad Romance, Diamond Heart, The Edge of Glory which are phenomenal. I want a full album of that!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #324 on: April 28, 2019, 06:39:16 AM »
The Black Album is better than ...And Justice for All.

In the Court of the Crimson King is not as great as most prog fans think it is.

Gavin Harrison overplays way too much in a live setting.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: April 28, 2019, 06:39:52 AM »

Completely agree

Offline Rob24

« Reply #326 on: April 28, 2019, 06:40:36 AM »
Maybe not really "controversial", and I'll say it as an hyperbole catered to my selfish desires and tastes, but.... Lady Gaga should totally ditch her techno / pop style and go full on rock - metal. At the very least, she should do an acoustic album, piano and voice only, of her best known (or more fitting) songs of her catalogue, I'd buy it in an heartbeat.

Not a fan of her actual style at all, but she can sing and she can obviously can compose and on YouTube you can find piano versions of stuff like Bad Romance, Diamond Heart, The Edge of Glory which are phenomenal. I want a full album of that!

I'm the total opposite, maybe that's more of a controversial opinion? :P I think her electro-pop style is what gave her identity and makes a fun, artsy package of melodic weirdness, while her whole broadway / movie persona just seems like something that is retro for the sake of it.

Electronic elements in production don't make the music any less "real" or musical.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #327 on: April 28, 2019, 06:52:07 AM »
AJFA > Black Album easily. Heck I'd say my controversial opinion would be Load > Black Album.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: April 28, 2019, 07:22:56 AM »

King Crimson is not as great as most prog fans think it is.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #329 on: April 28, 2019, 07:31:50 AM »

Seriously: Are DT as great as everyone thinks they are? I don't think there is any one prog band absolutely every prog fan will love. I may be wrong of course.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #330 on: April 28, 2019, 07:43:16 AM »

Seriously: Are DT as great as everyone thinks they are? I don't think there is any one prog band absolutely every prog fan will love. I may be wrong of course.

Definitely not. I mean they've made some great albums but in the bigger scope of albums standing the test of time I feel like there's a reason some bands (mostly the 70s prog bands) have albums that transcend the genre and a lot of people like those albums, whereas DT doesn't really have an album like any of those. And even if some would argue the importance of Images & Words I would still say that it's a very niche market.

Offline DTA

« Reply #331 on: April 28, 2019, 10:06:53 AM »

Gavin Harrison overplays way too much in a live setting.

Agree with all of these except: Load > every other Metallica album

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #332 on: May 14, 2019, 10:52:27 PM »
Cathedral Spires is a top 10 Judas Priest song. Tends to be overlooked because of the whole Jugulator / Demolition era (Jugulator isn't even that bad), but it's outstanding. Tim is a King among men in that song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #333 on: May 15, 2019, 07:17:53 AM »

Genesis is probably the closest, in my opinion.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #334 on: May 15, 2019, 08:04:06 AM »

Genesis is probably the closest, in my opinion.

I can't stand Genesis.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #335 on: May 15, 2019, 08:23:02 AM »
Maybe Pink Floyd? I've yet to meet someone who actually hates Pink Floyd

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #336 on: May 15, 2019, 09:16:17 AM »
This will come across as a serious nitpicking, but hey, if this isn't the forum for any kind of musical pet peeves, I don't know where else to go  ;D

While I'm not against a click track per se, I think it robs us of something so little but yet that I find exciting - the drummer actually counting the song in. It's something that pumps you up, that comes handful in many situations, such as:

- They're making the "end of the song noise" holding a note to lead directly into the next song, and hearing the next song being counted in prepares you for what's about to start;
- If you know the set, and they're in the above situation, with the song being counted in you can prepare for the exact moment when you can start to sing the initial chorus or hum along to the riff or whatever;
- It's a nice anticipation and buildup, when you're near the end of an Iron Maiden show for example you know that 4 slow counts mean Fear of the Dark is about to start and you can either rejoice, or be annoyed that once again you have to hear Fear of the Dark.

I accept the click track as help, but it should be hidden and masked away. The song "magically" starting out of nowhere makes for a dramatic surprise, but it's also a dead giveaway that they're all synchronized with a click track.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #337 on: May 15, 2019, 10:09:59 AM »

:lol

So true!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #338 on: May 15, 2019, 10:32:08 AM »
Genesis is really bad and I don't understand how they ever had much success.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: May 15, 2019, 10:40:46 AM »
Yes Genesis is terrible, though I can see why 80s pop Genesis was big. That 70s stuff though....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: May 15, 2019, 11:41:13 AM »
You all are whack.  :)

(Full disclosure, I'm burning my CDs and DVDs to a network drive, and I literally finished with the "Genesis" material last night.  So for the past week I've had nothing but Genesis, from Trespass (twice) through to burning the audio from the "When In Rome" DVD (it's different than the "Live Over Europe" CD from the same tour) and I have to say, they're better than I remember.  More than ever I believe Phil is one of the greatest drummers in rock, Tony Banks is on par with Rick Wakeman, and Steve Harris was not drunk when he said that Mike Rutherford is one of the best and most underrated bassists in rock.)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: May 15, 2019, 12:00:19 PM »
Yeah, I think I'll have to agree with Genesis being really bad as well. I've tried many times to see what folks like Stadler see and always end up confused and frustrated. Take their definitive epic "Supper's Ready", I've probably heard it 100 times and it still sounds like a cobbled up mess.

In other words, I'm with TAC on this one.  :'(
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: May 15, 2019, 12:51:57 PM »
I just don't really care much for any classic prog, so how about that for controversial  :P

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #343 on: May 15, 2019, 12:52:45 PM »
I just don't really care much for any classic prog, so how about that for controversial  :P

Rush considered classic prog? Cause other than them, I agree.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #344 on: May 15, 2019, 12:57:48 PM »

I don't know about controversial, but I agree. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: May 15, 2019, 01:16:31 PM »
Yeah, I think I'll have to agree with Genesis being really bad as well. I've tried many times to see what folks like Stadler see and always end up confused and frustrated. Take their definitive epic "Supper's Ready", I've probably heard it 100 times and it still sounds like a cobbled up mess.

In other words, I'm with TAC on this one.  :'(

The Cinema Show?  No?   The live In The Cage Medley from 3SL?  No? 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #346 on: May 15, 2019, 01:21:14 PM »

Rush considered classic prog? Cause other than them, I agree.

Nah, Rush was a hard rock band that stuck their foot in the deep end of prog for a few years, but at heart was always a hard rock band, first and foremost.

You all are whack.  :)

Agreed. Genesis was terrific, no matter what era we are talking.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #347 on: May 15, 2019, 01:30:45 PM »
70s Genesis is possibly the greatest music ever you fucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #348 on: May 15, 2019, 01:31:52 PM »
....and none were given. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #349 on: May 15, 2019, 01:32:12 PM »
I bought Selling England By The Pound for $5. Yuck.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"