Author Topic: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music  (Read 29001 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music
« Reply #350 on: May 15, 2019, 02:59:28 PM »
I bought Selling England By The Pound for $5. Yuck.

Not enough dairy for you? :corn :)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: May 15, 2019, 03:12:14 PM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #352 on: May 15, 2019, 03:21:12 PM »

Not enough dairy for you? :corn :)

:lol TOO much dairy!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #353 on: May 15, 2019, 04:19:51 PM »
John Petrucci can play guitar.

Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon.

Justin Bieber is Canadian.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: May 15, 2019, 04:36:26 PM »

Someone owes you $3.71 change.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #355 on: May 15, 2019, 04:48:18 PM »
First Kev, now Podaar...

I'm with TAC
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #356 on: May 15, 2019, 05:10:14 PM »
You must have rub n tug videos on them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #357 on: May 15, 2019, 05:23:17 PM »
Yeah, I think I'll have to agree with Genesis being really bad as well. I've tried many times to see what folks like Stadler see and always end up confused and frustrated. Take their definitive epic "Supper's Ready", I've probably heard it 100 times and it still sounds like a cobbled up mess.

In other words, I'm with TAC on this one.  :'(

The Cinema Show?  No?   The live In The Cage Medley from 3SL?  No?

Gabriel era Genesis is seriously hit or miss.  I haven't heard Supper's Ready 100 times, but it's never connected with me.  The instrumental part of The Cinema Show is great; the beginning is fine but nothing great.  The Firth of Fifth is great.  20% of The Lamb is great, but most of it is nonsense.

Genesis from and after the self-titled album is 90% schlock.

The five album run from A Trick of the Tail through Abacab (plus side 4 of 3SL) is as good a run as any run by any band.  The 3SL In the Cage Medley might be my favorite keyboard song of all time.

That being said, as a whole, Yes >>>>> Genesis.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #358 on: May 15, 2019, 05:25:11 PM »
You must have rub n tug videos on them.

They were just "to monitor".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: May 15, 2019, 09:37:36 PM »
A little off topic but if I were to listen to one Genesis album which one should it be?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: May 15, 2019, 10:47:41 PM »
Who's Next is one of the landmark, elite, Mt Rushmore albums of the classic rock era. Quadrophenia is a masterpiece of songwriting and performance, and one of the best concept/story albums ever. And here comes the controversial part... These two albums are miles (I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles.....) above and beyond Tommy in every single way. Tommy has a couple of cool songs and starts off strong, but the whole second half is a bore until the final song. Even Pinball Wizard is in the middle of the pack of all The Who's songs.

I used to listen to the crap out of these three albums (though it took me a while to fully appreciate Quadrophenia). Now it and Who's Next are still as fresh as anything from that era, and Tommy sounds dated, stale, and drab by comparison.

A little off topic but if I were to listen to one Genesis album which one should it be?

The shortest one.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DTA

« Reply #361 on: May 16, 2019, 05:25:17 AM »

A Trick Of The Tail is their best imo

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #362 on: May 16, 2019, 05:46:08 AM »

Selling England By The Pound.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #363 on: May 16, 2019, 05:50:00 AM »

Selling England By The Pound.
that's cool, but I actually like them all and both The Lamb, Foxtrot and Duke are my favourites
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #364 on: May 16, 2019, 06:26:46 AM »
Please don't listen to SEBTP
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline romdrums

« Reply #365 on: May 16, 2019, 07:33:46 AM »
Please don't listen to Kattleox

FTFY.

In all seriousness, start with anything from the Hackett era (Nursery Cryme through Wind and Wuthering) except Lamb and you should be good.  Selling England and Trick of the Tail are probably the best places to start, but any choice from that run would be fine. The Lamb is great, but it's kind of its own thing.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #366 on: May 16, 2019, 07:40:57 AM »
Yeah, I think I'll have to agree with Genesis being really bad as well. I've tried many times to see what folks like Stadler see and always end up confused and frustrated. Take their definitive epic "Supper's Ready", I've probably heard it 100 times and it still sounds like a cobbled up mess.

In other words, I'm with TAC on this one.  :'(

The Cinema Show?  No?   The live In The Cage Medley from 3SL?  No?

Gabriel era Genesis is seriously hit or miss.  I haven't heard Supper's Ready 100 times, but it's never connected with me.  The instrumental part of The Cinema Show is great; the beginning is fine but nothing great.  The Firth of Fifth is great.  20% of The Lamb is great, but most of it is nonsense.

Genesis from and after the self-titled album is 90% schlock.

The five album run from A Trick of the Tail through Abacab (plus side 4 of 3SL) is as good a run as any run by any band.  The 3SL In the Cage Medley might be my favorite keyboard song of all time.

That being said, as a whole, Yes >>>>> Genesis.

I sent that In The Cage Medley (that specific version) to TAC as "my favorite three minutes of recorded music of all time" (it's actually four minutes, but who's counting).   

I think I agree on the hit or miss aspect of the Gabriel era, and I would go farther to say that IN EVERY CASE, the Phil versions of the Gabriel era songs are better.

I disagree with the "schlock" comment, though.  There are moments - That's All (HATE that song), Land Of Confusion, Hold On My Heart - but the epics are just as good, in my opinion (my beef is with the sound, not the writing or performance). 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: May 16, 2019, 07:44:15 AM »

Trust me on this:   Wind and Wuthering or Duke.    Then from there you can decide which direction you want to go.  Starting with The Lamb is like getting into Dream Theater and starting with "The Astonishing".   Starting with SEBTP is like starting with Falling Into Infinity.   I would go with the transition records (the last with Hackett and the second without) to see the essence of the band.   

It helps that probably a third of both records are instrumental, so that if the "Phil" voice bugs you you can still have some meat to digest.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #368 on: May 16, 2019, 07:53:49 AM »
I think A Trick of the Tail is a great starter.  It's still pretty heavy on the prog and has a lot of catchiness to it.  As much as I love The Lamb, that kind of double album is pretty daunting as a starter.   Selling England is great, and has arguably their two best songs, but I find the flow to be weird.  Duke would also be a good starter.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #369 on: May 16, 2019, 10:31:39 AM »

Honestly, I'd say you should treat the two "eras" almost like different bands and pick two albums to listen to.

For the first proggy Gabriel era, I'd say listen to Selling England by the Pound or Trick of the Tail is the best option. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is the worst starter by far.

For the second poppy Collins era (which imo is the better one), tbh just go for a greatest hits album. It gives you a good overview of what they're all about and you can use that as a spring board for checking out their other stuff.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #370 on: May 16, 2019, 12:38:07 PM »
Cathedral Spires is a top 10 Judas Priest song. Tends to be overlooked because of the whole Jugulator / Demolition era (Jugulator isn't even that bad), but it's outstanding. Tim is a King among men in that song.

I'm a Priest newb, but yes, that song is amazing!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: May 16, 2019, 08:41:21 PM »
A Trick of the Tail it is, I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #372 on: May 17, 2019, 10:31:21 AM »

I'd go with A Trick of the Tail or Duke.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #373 on: May 17, 2019, 10:39:04 AM »

I sent that In The Cage Medley (that specific version) to TAC as "my favorite three minutes of recorded music of all time" (it's actually four minutes, but who's counting).   

I think I agree on the hit or miss aspect of the Gabriel era, and I would go farther to say that IN EVERY CASE, the Phil versions of the Gabriel era songs are better.

I disagree with the "schlock" comment, though.  There are moments - That's All (HATE that song), Land Of Confusion, Hold On My Heart - but the epics are just as good, in my opinion (my beef is with the sound, not the writing or performance).

I did a double take on reading the 3-4 minutes statements.  I kinda view side 3 after Misunderstanding as a single medley (although I know it's not).  Is the part that's not In the Cage or Afterglow really only 4 minutes?  If so, that's one of the most satisfying 4 minutes in the history of rock music.

Your comments about the post-Abacab era and the beef being with the sound rather than the writing/performance reflect how I view Rush's Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire.  With better instrumentation and production, many of the songs of that era that I don't like probably could be a lot better.

Starting with The Lamb is like getting into Dream Theater and starting with "The Astonishing".   Starting with SEBTP is like starting with Falling Into Infinity.

Those are damn good analogies (although, if TA had 1/4 of the weirdness that's on the Lamb, I think it might have connected with me a lot more).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #374 on: May 17, 2019, 10:47:31 AM »
Well, I also consider myself part of the crowd that just doesn't really like most "classic prog."  I can appreciate most of it.  But it just isn't something I enjoy listening to.  I am grateful for the influence it has had on bands I really enjoy, like DT, Neal Morse, and Transatlantic, to name a few.  But I don't care for it.  Early Genesis definitely falls into that category, at least what I have heard from them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: May 17, 2019, 11:00:13 AM »
Well, I also consider myself part of the crowd that just doesn't really like most "classic prog."  I can appreciate most of it.  But it just isn't something I enjoy listening to.  I am grateful for the influence it has had on bands I really enjoy, like DT, Neal Morse, and Transatlantic, to name a few.  But I don't care for it.  Early Genesis definitely falls into that category, at least what I have heard from them.

Count me in as well.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #376 on: May 17, 2019, 11:03:28 AM »
i don't like classic prog, contemporary prog, OR neo-prog! i hate everything  :metal
i actually just don't like most "prog rock" as a whole tbh. metal is where it's at for me. most modern prog rock is really samey aping of the classic prog sounds with no twist whatsoever so it's just like... if i wanted this at all i'd listen to the classics instead

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: May 17, 2019, 02:02:50 PM »
i don't like classic prog, contemporary prog, OR neo-prog! i hate everything  :metal
i actually just don't like most "prog rock" as a whole tbh. metal is where it's at for me. most modern prog rock is really samey aping of the classic prog sounds with no twist whatsoever so it's just like... if i wanted this at all i'd listen to the classics instead

Yea, I'm a metalhead.  I like my prog infused with metal but when it's just prog I am not that interested, I find it a bit boring for my tastes really.  I need the heaviness to get the blood flowing.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: May 17, 2019, 05:22:42 PM »
If I said this before, I apologize, but as much as I love certain prog - Genesis, Yes (I met Jon Anderson a few weeks ago, and I felt like i was in the presence of royalty), ELP, Marillion, Crimson... but when I don't like it, I REALLY don't like it.  I don't need to name names, but there is some prog that is just... ugh.   Even the bands I love, their moments can be cringe-worthy ("More Fool Me", "Circus Of Heaven", "Arriving UFO", "Benny The Bouncer"...).

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: May 17, 2019, 05:47:02 PM »
My favorite band, Iron Maiden, has a song that I find to be one of the worst pieces of music I have ever heard (The Angel and the Gambler) so I find it totally fine to say bands you love can also produce some shitty music (I know your bigger point was about prog but it made me think about the smaller point and this song just immediately comes to mind)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: May 17, 2019, 07:18:38 PM »
I like my prog infused with metal but when it's just prog I am not that interested

I feel pretty much the same.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #381 on: May 18, 2019, 09:06:08 PM »
I feel almost the opposite. Most prog metal just bores me these days, with some exceptions (DT obviously, BTBAM, and some of Devin's work just to name a few).

I usually get more mileage out of bands that rode just the edge of your "traditional prog" circle. Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Rush, The Mars Volta. Most of these bands have enough prog elements that draw my ears, but not so much that they become a cliche of themselves.

Not to say that bands in that traditional prog circle do. I love me some Yes and Genesis. But it intrigues me more to hear bands who worked the prog blueprint into something their own.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #382 on: May 19, 2019, 12:44:41 PM »
Generally to pull off any Gabriel-Genesis off of the shelf except at a very odd moments.

My heavy Genesis listening is post-Gabriel, Gabriel solo, Hackett solo and the first two Collins albums (and his big band album.)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: May 19, 2019, 01:54:17 PM »
One thing I do know for me?  I tend to go back to where I came in, in the sense of...   I got into Yes by listening to their 70's material, up through Drama.  Going For The One is my favorite album of all time.  I got into Genesis by getting "Abacab" and "Three Sides Live", as well as seeing the "In Concert" film.  My favorite Genesis era is "The Lamb" through "3SL".   I got into Rush around the time of Signals and Power Windows, and the run of A Farewell To Kings through Signals is by far my favorite.  Maiden, Priest, Kiss, all the same.   There are exceptions of course, but those are the records that just resonate. 

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #384 on: May 19, 2019, 06:41:12 PM »
Ooh, I've got a new one: most metal covers of pop and "mainstream" rock songs are usually terrible. I think it's because the original choice of chords, lyrics, and melodies convey a sense of brightness and joy and that doesn't really work well when you slap super distorted guitars, fast drumming, and screamed/growled vocals underneath it. I don't think I've heard a metal cover of a pop song that I would say unquestionably improved on the original. Very few are even on par with the original.