Author Topic: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music  (Read 28574 times)

Offline cygnusx1jg

Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music
« on: February 23, 2019, 09:19:34 PM »
Large thread on this about DT, figured it's applicable to other music as well. How about a no-judge zone on this--feel free to admit your deepest and darkest without repercussions (can't actually guarantee that, but...).  Here goes:

I not only prefer Hagar Van Halen over Roth Van Halen, I prefer it by a wide margin.

House of Cards by Saga is in my top ten albums of all time.

I've been to probably close to 100 concerts so far, and the March 1993 show of Saigon Kick/Extreme is in my top 3, and may very well be #1.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 09:22:56 PM »
Judas Priest is not only better than Iron Maiden, but it's not even close.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 09:25:04 PM »
justin beiber baby is the WORST SONG EVAR!!!!11!1!!11!!1111

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 09:50:05 PM »
how dARE U say DAT  >:( >:( >:( >:( hes the cutest rawr x3

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 09:54:06 PM »

I'd rather hear that Beiber song on an endless loop for an hour than the Sheryl Crow version of Sweet Child O' Mine EVER again.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 09:58:46 PM »
Disco is awesome, a truly underrated art form, and an amazing albeit brief period of music history. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 10:05:53 PM »

hwat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 10:06:00 PM »
how dARE U say DAT  >:( >:( >:( >:( hes the cutest rawr x3
NOOOO@@@!

i only listen to REAL music, like BROKENCYDE  :metal :metal :metal so emotional  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline 425

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 10:20:35 PM »
Many of Metallica's best songs are on Load and Reload. If it had been released as a double album with a total runtime of ~110 minutes, with the weakest songs from both cut out, it would be their best album.

Also, the first four songs of St. Anger are legitimately good songs, irrespective of what you may think of Lars's bizarre snare decision.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 12:55:51 AM »
I am getting tired of reading the same old crap you see on sites like Ultimate-Guitar, Loudwire, and Blabbermouth where everyone just sh**talks about the state of rock music and how it's dying and all of that crap and sh**talks about basically anything.  It's like do these people in the comment sections or in the articles get excited about anything in the present day?  I saw Of Mice and Men and Nothing More, yesterday, in LA.  1,000 people there and it was the most intense crowd of a show that I have ever been to and everyone there was genuinely excited to be there and isn't that what music is supposed to be about.  Getting excited about what's to come while building off the past rather than reliving it?  Also, that band, Nothing More?  They are going to go places in the Active Rock world.

Also, I guess I might as well take the time to say it.  I'm honestly not a rock music fan and I'm especially not a heavy metal fan as I thought I was going to be back in 2012.  I'm just a guy that likes honest music that prefers various metal bands and various rock bands that I would hear on Active Rock radio.  Doesn't mean I have to like them all because of genre.  I need to see what else is out there that I can enjoy whether it can be something like Electronica, country, classical crossover, etc..

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 02:11:40 AM »
This thread has great potential!

I think Guns ‘n Roses is an annoying band and I would be very content with never hearing Sweet Child of Mine in particular ever again.

Rosanno by Toto is one of the grooviest songs ever and it’s so underrated for that feat. I love it and I can’t fathom why Africa or Hold the Line are seemingly infinitely more popular.

By the way, Toto is stupidly underrated anyway.

Lots of heavy metal music is very boring and similar.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 02:25:46 AM »
for serious tho
meshuggah and gojira both consistently make rather dull music and i don't understand the cult following either has

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 03:19:42 AM »
As singers, concentrating solely on the pure singing factor, Ozzy Osbourne and Axl Rose are both pretty bad and, in case of Axl, borderline annoying. Charisma and the historical circumstances brought them where they are, but as singers they kinda blow.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 04:16:04 AM »
As singers, concentrating solely on the pure singing factor, Ozzy Osbourne and Axl Rose are both pretty bad and, in case of Axl, borderline annoying. Charisma and the historical circumstances brought them where they are, but as singers they kinda blow.

Hear hear. Let’s add the AC/DC ‘singers’ to this.

(Then agsin, a case could be made for every growl/scream vocalist. Are they good ‘singers’ from a purely technical standpoint? Probably not, but their role in the music isn’t to ‘sing’ well, just like a jazz drummer doesn’t need to be able to do blast-beats. Different approaches to the same instrument don’t mean one is better than the other.)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 04:21:29 AM »
AC/DC sucks.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 04:22:57 AM »
Squ

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 04:24:44 AM »

Bruce Dickinson is the REAL metal god.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 05:12:04 AM »
Nostradamus is better than most of the stuff Judas Priest has released, perhaps actually their best album save Sad Wings of Destiny.

Stranger in Us All is way better than any JLT-fronted material Rainbow has released.

Imaginaerum is the best Nightwish album, and while the Tarja material is great (especially Century Child) and Anette sucked live, this is where Tuomas peaked with his songwriting, the whole album is outstanding and Anneke's voice is a fantastic fit for that one.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 05:23:26 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 05:21:01 AM »
Nostradamus is better than most of the stuff Judas Priest has released, perhaps actually their best album save Sad Wings of Destiny.

I wouldn't go so far but it's indeed a wonderful album.

Stranger in Us All is way better than any JLT-fronted material Rainbow has released.

Is it controversial? it's not that hard to beat all that commercial "Hey please USA market look at me" crap Blackmore put out after firing Dio.

Imaginaerum is the best Nightwish album, and while the Tarja material is great (especially Century Child) and Anneke sucked live, this is where Tuomas peaked with his songwriting, the whole album is outstanding and Anneke's voice is a fantastic fit for that one.

Annette, not Anneke. Having said that, yes, Imaginaerum is the best Nightwish album. Floor is by far their best singer but Imaginaerum slays Endless Forms Most Beautiful and as bad of a fit Annette was, she's perfect for that record.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 05:22:45 AM »
Annette, not Anneke.

:facepalm:

I've no idea why I wrote Anneke.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 05:25:59 AM »
Annette, not Anneke.

:facepalm:

I've no idea why I wrote Anneke.

Because the wonderful and amazing Anneke Van Giersbergen is always on your mind.

As she should be.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2019, 05:27:52 AM »
Modern music production sounds like absolute shit. I appreciate the fact that the ability for more people to make an album for much less money is due to the advances in technology, but most albums made in recent years sounds very dead and sterile. It's rare to find a good sounding record these days.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2019, 05:58:53 AM »
I only use Metallica albums as frisbees.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DTA

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2019, 05:59:20 AM »
Somehow, Dream Theater is really the only prog-metal band that excites me anymore. I know a lot of people give them shit and hate their new stuff, crap on Mangini, say JLB can't sing live (I agree but don't care), but I listen to other new prog-metal and none of it clicks. It's just the same djenty-influenced bullshit over and over again. My tastes generally linger in the prog-rock, extreme metal, pop, or indie realm but Dream Theater is ultimately the only one I desire to listen to in prog-metal.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2019, 06:02:19 AM »
Somehow, Dream Theater is really the only prog-metal band that excites me anymore. I know a lot of people give them shit and hate their new stuff, crap on Mangini, say JLB can't sing live (I agree but don't care), but I listen to other new prog-metal and none of it clicks. It's just the same djenty-influenced bullshit over and over again. My tastes generally linger in the prog-rock, extreme metal, pop, or indie realm but Dream Theater is ultimately the only one I desire to listen to in prog-metal.

Same here. I'm more into classic metal and folk influenced stuff, sure, the occasional prog act like Symphony X here and there is fine, but I have really no urge the explore the prog metal scene. Dream Theater satisfy alone 99% of my needs in that kind of music.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 06:27:44 AM »

How about Opeth?

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 06:32:17 AM »
IMO Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 by Gunners are great and underappreciated rocks albums!
Back in Black is a very generic rock album and Brian Johnson's singing sucks.

Offline DTA

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 06:36:05 AM »

How about Opeth?

I liked them until Heritage and then completely lost interest with their new direction. It has nothing to do with lack of growling, they just got extremely boring without the heavy/clean aspect of their music.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 06:43:00 AM »
Blondie's Eat To The Beat is a GREAT album. Made Honorable Mention on my Top 50.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 07:00:55 AM »

Same here. I'm more into classic metal and folk influenced stuff, sure, the occasional prog act like Symphony X here and there is fine, but I have really no urge the explore the prog metal scene. Dream Theater satisfy alone 99% of my needs in that kind of music.

Even Symphony X never really did it for me even though they tick off most of the same boxes as DT. The only other prog-metal album I've heard recently that really blew me away is Legends Of The Shires by Threshold. Fantastic album with really catchy melodies.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2019, 09:57:04 AM »

Yeah, I honestly agree with most of this. The only prog-metal bands I listen to frequently nowadays are Dream Theater, Haken, Ne Obliviscaris, TesseracT, and Ayreon (with a little bit of older Opeth, Meshuggah, Porcupine Tree, Tool, and Symphony X). Even then, two of them border on extreme metal. I've checked out a lot of newer albums, but most of them don't stick in my listening outside of one or two songs because even if they're good, they just sound like a fusion of a bunch of other different prog-metal bands instead of having their own original sound.

My unpopular opinions:
* Pop isn't as bad as people say it is
* Mozart is literally some of the most boring music ever written (his last two symphonies, Don Giovanni, and requiem being exceptions)
* Brahms too
* Disco is actually fantastic. Don't @ me.
* Bands randomly quoting pieces of classical music without any sensible reason (usually prog-metal bands) is beyond annoying
* I still think Slayer's Reign in Blood is unlistenable, though I respect its impact
* Ditto for Bitches Brew
* Sometimes it feels like there's only 10 metal riffs in existence and bands just keep reusing them constantly
* Muse's recent albums (Drones excepted) are all really good
* Audio Video Disco is Justice's best album
* Modern prog in general is really boring
* I don't actually like The Wall (mostly for the extremely cynical lyrics, I have no problems with the music)
* All three Nightwish lead singers were very good
* Solos tend to be my least favorite part about rock and metal songs
* Hans Zimmer is also really boring most of the time

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2019, 10:14:48 AM »

What sucks about pop is the arrangements, the production and the instruments used to play the songs, especially when it's not even an instrument but something electronic made with a computer. There's nothing wrong with a good, memorable hook and there are gazillion of rock and metal covers out there who shows that, when you use real instruments and sometimes real singers and not autotuned ones, a song changes completely face.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2019, 10:24:13 AM »

What sucks about pop is the arrangements, the production and the instruments used to play the songs, especially when it's not even an instrument but something electronic made with a computer. There's nothing wrong with a good, memorable hook and there are gazillion of rock and metal covers out there who shows that, when you use real instruments and sometimes real singers and not autotuned ones, a song changes completely face.

Eh, idk if I agree with that. Most of the metal and rock covers I've heard of pop songs tend to fall flat because the melody/lyrics and accompaniment are trying to do two different things (the melody is bright, happy, and energetic, and the acc. is more aggressive).

Autotune and Melodyne get a looooot more flack than they deserve imo, because even for a trained musician it's hard to detect autotuning unless it's done really poorly. I will, however, concede that the mixing and mastering on pop songs tends to leave a lot to be desired.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2019, 10:48:24 AM »
Yeah, of course it depends and sometimes many bands overblow it and make an unintended parody of the song trying to force it at all costs into the genre they play (I still shudder at the memory of a power metal cover from can'tremember of Moonlight Shadow...), but if done right, it improves the song.

One example that comes into my mind is Bad Romance - I respect Lady Gaga as a singer and songwriter but her style simply isn't mine. But the cover Halestorm made of that song gave it a completely new feel, almost as if they were the actual songwriters, and it's simply awesome.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2019, 11:15:58 AM »
AC/DC sucks.
is this controversial though