Author Topic: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: That's all she wrote folks - another happy ending  (Read 100471 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: jingle.boy's fourth roulette: Round 5 - R.E.S.U.L.T.S
« Reply #1295 on: September 07, 2018, 02:25:01 PM »
Ok....

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1296 on: September 07, 2018, 02:32:40 PM »
Excellent!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1297 on: September 07, 2018, 02:36:58 PM »
Deep Purple dancing?!  MY EYES!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: September 07, 2018, 02:38:06 PM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1299 on: September 07, 2018, 03:12:05 PM »
B-shite. You're just buying time while searching for the fortitude to rate Matilda at the top as you would.

Don't fight your instincts. Dance it out.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1300 on: September 07, 2018, 05:14:04 PM »
.... will be coming tomorrow morning

Yeah, I'm a dick.

Writeups will be briefer than normal, as I said, it's been a hectic 2 weeks.

Briefer than normal?  Didn't know they could get any briefer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1301 on: September 07, 2018, 05:17:36 PM »
 :lol

One sentence per week. So two sentence reviews this round.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1302 on: September 07, 2018, 05:32:23 PM »
Jesus phuq just give me first place already  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1303 on: September 07, 2018, 09:52:26 PM »
.... will be coming tomorrow morning

Yeah, I'm a dick.

Writeups will be briefer than normal, as I said, it's been a hectic 2 weeks.

Briefer than normal?  Didn't know they could get any briefer.

And here I thought I was being too verbose with some of my writeups!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: Rd 5 - R.E.S.U.L.T.S - lunchtime Sat (couple o' hrs)
« Reply #1304 on: September 08, 2018, 06:33:30 AM »
So, with a couple of dedicated listens, I retract my 'weakest' round comment.  Either things finally got better by about the 8th or 9th listen because ..  well..., anything can be enjoyable after 8 or 9 listens (:lol), or my mind really wasn't in to it early into the round for all the reasons I mentioned.  There also weren't a couple of absolutely killer/standout tunes like the first 4 rounds had, so that may have been contributing to my belief it was the weakest round - but by no means was that to imply that it was a *weak* group of songs - only by way of comparison to the previous submissions.

Gonna hop on the bike now for one last listen, and report back in a few hours, but I think I know the lay of the land.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: Rd 5 - R.E.S.U.L.T.S - lunchtime Sat (couple o' hrs)
« Reply #1305 on: September 08, 2018, 07:05:25 AM »
well..., anything can be enjoyable after 8 or 9 listens (:lol)

Not at all. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1306 on: September 08, 2018, 08:14:24 AM »
well..., almost anything can be enjoyable after 8 or 9 listens (:lol)

Not at all. :lol

Fix'd

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1307 on: September 08, 2018, 08:30:24 AM »
Puppies: - Novembre - Zenith
It's a tale of two songs - and neither were exactly the best of times.  The mellow part in the middle, as well as the lead up following it, was nice, but otherwise, I just wasn't feeling it.  Not sure what the 40 seconds of vocals at the end added… I think I would've preferred it to just be an instrumental start-to-finish.  I appreciate you sending stuff outside of my box, but this was another whiff (though better than The Mars Volta)
Ranking: 10

Elite: VOLA - Stray the Skies
This landed in the ‘wall of sound’ category, which always reminds me of Devin Townsend … whose music I like sometimes, but just not very often.  Damn that riff was heavy as fuck.  Not really a fan of the ‘reverb-like’ tone they overlaid for the vocals.  Nice little keyboard solo.  Again, hate to rate it low… it’s definitely not 9x worse than the best song, but it’s just a tad outside my comfort zone.  I’ll say the same I said to Puppies… I appreciate you being here to push me outside of my comfort zone, and I’m hoping that something clicks in the next three rounds.  Either that, or I’m just a grumpy old fart that’s set in his ways.  :getoffmylawn:
Ranking: 9

Lethean: Angel Dust - Bleed
I want to rank this one higher, it's just missing a little oomph to really appeal to me.  The good: the piano intro was a good start, the melodies are nice, and it had a pretty bitchin solo; The not as good: vocally it's just decent (with a couple of really nice screams), but this old-school crunchy riff is not clicking with me for some reason.  Like the Kiss track, I think it's just a little too basic for my liking.
Ranking: 8

Indiscipline: Matilda Original Cast - Revolting Children
It's music, and it's good, but I'm sure I'd appreciate it more in the context of the entire musical (which I don't know).  As I told you, I love Les Mis, and will gladly listen to those songs on their own.  But ranking this against everything else is like ranking a desert dish against 14 other main course entrees.  I don't usually eat dessert, but I like it when I do, and this was pretty tasty for sure. But dessert isn't something I want very often.
Ranking: 7.3

Evermind: Dark Empire - From Refuge to Ruin
Without a doubt, this song was the hardest I’ve had in any roulette ever to figure out whether I liked it or not. The intro is a really nice vibe, an absolutely killer guitar solo (the 3rd one), and vocally, there was a big Herbie/Beyond the Bridge feel.  On the flip side, there were some other sections that just didn't work for me, starting right around the 2:45 mark - the ‘whiney’ violin (real or programmed? I suspect the latter) REALLY turned me off - as did the solo that followed it.  The mellow section that followed with the flute solo was nice, but the riff coming out of it … not so much.  As soon as that riff ended, and the 3rd guitar solo got to shine, that was gold.  Outro was pretty good too.  For me, this was wildly inconsistent.  Maybe you should've taken that handicap  :D
Ranking: 7.2

lonestar: The Who - I’m One
Nice, funky… kinda reminds me of Hot Dog and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp in that way - but I have a feeling if I just discovered those songs at this point in my life, I’d have not much good to say about them.  Certainly feels like a 'fringe' song by the band, and I can see the appeal and why it's so meaningful to you.  Not a bad song at all, but I was more drawn to those that ranked above it.  Definitely makes me sad that I never gave Quadrophenia a chance when I was first exploring Classic Rock :sadpanda:  You’re in jj-land in that regard.  I’ll be giving it whirl when this is all said and done.  I guess I just didn’t connect with concept albums back then - The Wall is all that comes to mind.  Which now (as I type that) seems mind-boggling given how much I adore them nowadays.
Ranking: 7.1

Kattleox: Power Quest - Better Days
So I’m listening to this, loving - LOVING - the music, but not so impressed with the vocals.  After a couple more listens, I’m thinking he sounds a lot like the vocalist of Red Circuit - and goddamn, I’m right.  I don’t mind him in Red Circuit, but his voice didn’t suit this … less metal … kind of song.  It’s not like this is soft/mellow, but it’s not as edgy as Red Circuit, and I just didn’t think his sound fit this style of song as well as someone who has more range.  Musically, it was the cat’s meow, and a better vocal delivery would’ve definitely put this top-3.
Ranking: 6.2

jjrocks: Thin Lizzy - Cold Sweat
Good Ole R'n'R.  Very cool riff, and some tasty little licks to support it.  Like Cooper and others of that era, somehow I just never got any deeper than the radio hits.  Need to check out a ‘best-of’ methinks, as I don’t think I’m gonna try wading thru 12 releases to see what’s worth keeping - will gladly take recommendations from those that know them.
Ranking: 6.1

TAC: Lost Domain - Silent Cry
There were a few moments this fell into the ‘wall-of-sound’ category, but overall a really strong submission.  Vocally, she’s really nice - love the tonal variations and the little twang’s in her phrasing.  She’s no Maggy Luyten, but a really strong *metal-only* (i.e., no soprano/opera range) female voice.  Structure of the song is everything that appeals to me - proggy-metal, with heavy-af moments, interconnected with some softer passages, and brief/tasteful/tolerable growls.  I’m anticipating a pretty solid listen of the debut effort from this independent band.  Looking forward to checking it out.
Ranking: 5

Bolsters: Defecto - Excluded
hhhmmmm… same vocalist here as on the last Secton A album (and Black Masquerade for that matter).  I must say, he’s way better suited to this heavier prog style than MOR prog that Section A is.  MUCH better.  Another tremendously written song - instrumental section had a great key/guitar duel.  Not much to say other than the fact this kicked ass.
Ranking: 4.3

Lowdz: Night Mistress - Until the Day will Dawn
Heavy af, and straight forward - nothing flashy, but nothing to mundane either. Reminds me a lot of Manimal.  The dude's got a great vocal range - keeps it pretty interesting with his melodies.  Damn, who do those vocals remind me of??  Pyscrence maybe?  Mini-Bruce?  This song trended up with every listen.  Instrumentally it was excellent - again, not too flashy, but vibrant enough to keep my attention (with a kick-ass solo).  The coda at the end felt a little weird, but whatevs.
Ranking: 4.2

Train: The Great Discord - Darkest Day
Smooth as silk vocals here - another fabulous female voice that doesn’t try to do anything more than sing some great metal.  For some of the verses, I honestly wouldn’t have known this was a female lead if I hadn’t looked it up… the vocals are so good it just doesn’t matter.  Great atmosphere/vibe that the rhythm/keys delivers… it’s just a warm/rich sound all around.  And you say we aren’t a musical match!  This deserves better than middle-of-the-pack, and it’d be an 8-ish on a 10-point scale.  This one inched it’s way up with every listen
Ranking: 4.1

Wolfking: Soilwork - Rejection Role
When music comes with excellent sound and melodies, moderate growls aren't a problem (see Rage of Despair by Flaming Row - a favorite tune of mine).  Not sure how you thought this would be a risk - there was barely a hint of growls.  I’m willing to bet it’s another case where their library of work likely wouldn't appeal to me on the whole, but this is a nice and accessible tune - up tempo and a good amount of tasty elements packed into 3:35.  Well played.
Ranking: 3

Stadler: Rainbow - Fire Dance
Cha-ching.  You finally found the very narrow sweet spot of classic rock/metal that still provides a tremendous amount of appeal for me.  It’s hard to pinpoint exactly why that is with this tune (a young JLT in his prime maybe?), but it is what it is.  Another up-tempo tune (which, by-and-large, usually appeals to me over slower paced music - and DEFINITELY more than the plodding/brooding style of music; hint to other players if they’re even reading other writeups).  The hillbilly sounding guitar solo was fun as shit. Overall, I was very impressed - as I should be.  Though, I woulda swore I was listening to Deep Purple with all those keyboard runs.  Not sure if this is indicative of the entire album or this era of Rainbow, or just this song.
Ranking: 2

Kingshmegland: - Mile Marker Zero / 2001
Well, your majesty... you’re back at the top of the heap.  Your submissions are clearly bi-polar with me.  These five guys delivered something that fired on all cylinders - proggy af, great sound, great melodies, great vocals, fantastic rhythm and a certain zippity-do-da on the drums that is cool as fuck as well.  Instrumental section kicked all kinds of ass - great writing and delivery.  I knew this was #1 after the second listen, and it kept appealing to me more and more.  Can’t wait to check this one out.
Ranking: 1

Standings:
Evermind*: 4+3+1+3+7=18
Bolsters: 5+4+5+1+4=19
TAC: 2+5+5+3+5=20
wolfking*: 2+4+6+5+3=20
lonestar*: 2+5+5+2+7=21
jjrocks88**: 4+2+4+6+6=22
Kattoelox: 1+7+4+4+6=22
kingshmegland: 4+9+1+8+1=23
Lowdz: 6+1+8+6+4=25
Lethean*: 4+8+4+4+8=28
Stadler: 7+6+7+9+2=31
Indiscipline**: 6+7+6+8+7=34
Train of Naught: 9+10+7+7+4=37
Puppies_On_Acid: 8+8+3+10+10=39
Elite: 10+7+10+5+9=41

* - 1 point improvement
** - 2 point improvement

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: Rd 5 - R.E.S.U.L.T.S - I'm true this time
« Reply #1308 on: September 08, 2018, 08:35:58 AM »
Well, at least I got this one out of the way. I was curious what you'll think about this song, and I agree, there are some moments that are just pure gold, and then there are some mediocre moments. Btw, I think that the "violin" at 2:45 is just the keyboard sound. It doesn't even sound like a violin, and also I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. :lol

Still, I kinda hoped for at least a 5 with this brilliant flute solo, last guitar solo and the epic ending. Oh well. Thankfully RJ, Tim and Dave also didn't do too well, so I'm still in the leading spot!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1309 on: September 08, 2018, 08:41:10 AM »
Chad, the album is a concept album and it kicks ass. They are playing Rosfest this year but I bought this before knowing that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1310 on: September 08, 2018, 08:59:34 AM »
Puppies: - Novembre - Zenith
It's a tale of two songs - and neither were exactly the best of times.  The mellow part in the middle, as well as the lead up following it, was nice, but otherwise, I just wasn't feeling it.  Not sure what the 40 seconds of vocals at the end added… I think I would've preferred it to just be an instrumental start-to-finish.  I appreciate you sending stuff outside of my box, but this was another whiff (though better than The Mars Volta)
Ranking: 10

Elite: VOLA - Stray the Skies
This landed in the ‘wall of sound’ category, which always reminds me of Devin Townsend … whose music I like sometimes, but just not very often.  Damn that riff was heavy as fuck.  Not really a fan of the ‘reverb-like’ tone they overlaid for the vocals.  Nice little keyboard solo.  Again, hate to rate it low… it’s definitely not 9x worse than the best song, but it’s just a tad outside my comfort zone.  I’ll say the same I said to Puppies… I appreciate you being here to push me outside of my comfort zone, and I’m hoping that something clicks in the next three rounds.  Either that, or I’m just a grumpy old fart that’s set in his ways.  :getoffmylawn:
Ranking: 9

I'm going to say you are just a grumpy old fart that is set in his ways. :neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1311 on: September 08, 2018, 09:01:35 AM »
As I told you, I love Les Mis, and will gladly listen to those songs on their own.

I see what you did there.

Nothing but fair, man. Thank you for treating the tune seriously vs liquidating it as a joke. I really appreciate and respect that.

Most importantly, made ya dance?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1312 on: September 08, 2018, 09:03:16 AM »
Yeah bro, there are songs on Quadrophenia that are better than what I sent you, I just really wanted to share that one. And yeah, it'd be fucking criminal for you not to sit down with that album, some headphones, a drink, and the lyrics. It's definitely Pete's magnum opus, and that's saying a lot for a man who has put out some of the best music of a generation.

You already got my next submission.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1313 on: September 08, 2018, 09:05:31 AM »
Chad, the album is a concept album and it kicks ass. They are playing Rosfest this year but I bought this before knowing that.

color me excited

I'm going to say you are just a grumpy old fart that is set in his ways. :neverusethis:

As I told you, I love Les Mis, and will gladly listen to those songs on their own.

I see what you did there.

Well, that makes one of us.  Whatever it was, it was unintentional... oh wait, now I see what I did.   :lol

Sorry man... no dancing is, was, or will be, involved in the listening of this roulette.

Yeah bro, there are songs on Quadrophenia that are better than what I sent you, I just really wanted to share that one. And yeah, it'd be fucking criminal for you not to sit down with that album, some headphones, a drink, and the lyrics. It's definitely Pete's magnum opus, and that's saying a lot for a man who has put out some of the best music of a generation.

*My* Generation?

:icy:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: September 08, 2018, 09:07:02 AM »
We're waiting for the handicap again, right? Or should I go ahead and send?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: September 08, 2018, 09:09:29 AM »

You can go ahead and pre-emptively send if you'd like.

The stoner K-9 can handicap either you, Bolsters, TAC, or wolfking.  FYI, I put the handicap categories in the OP so they're easy to find.  The random recipient of the "I'm rubber, you're glue" defense has been notified.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: September 08, 2018, 09:21:51 AM »
No thanks boss, I'll patiently wait for my handicap.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1317 on: September 08, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »

You can go ahead and pre-emptively send if you'd like.

The stoner K-9 can handicap either you, Bolsters, TAC, or wolfking.  FYI, I put the handicap categories in the OP so they're easy to find.  The random recipient of the "I'm rubber, you're glue" defense has been notified.
Lets have Bolsters send a ballad. Or do they get to pick between an instrumental or a ballad? Either way....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: September 08, 2018, 09:38:15 AM »
Yeah, it's either / or type of thing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1319 on: September 08, 2018, 09:48:27 AM »
Since I'm falling fast in the standings with no hope of catching up, I think I need to continue to push you out of your musical comfort zone......at least a bit. Maybe something new will click with you. Don't worry, I won't be sending any harsh noise or black metal, but I'm determined to get you to like (or at least tolerate) harsh vocals more... If TAC can do it, so can you  :biggrin: Or you could just be a stubborn mule  :corn

And by the way, I actually thought you would really enjoy that Novembre song. Oh well.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1320 on: September 08, 2018, 10:11:18 AM »
Can’t complain with that. You summed it up pretty well.

Going to have to look for something growlified.... 😱

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1321 on: September 08, 2018, 10:54:34 AM »
Yeah, it's either / or type of thing.

What he said... instrumental *OR* a ballad for Bolsters to send.  And to let the cat out of the bag, it was NOT Bolsters receiving the bounce-back award, so you needn't worry about him turning it around on you.

@ Puppies... I'm cool with whatever you want to lay on me.  I might not like it, but - just as I did with Sebastian Bach to you - I insist you - everyone - stuff that you love, and think that it will have at least a small chance of appealing to me.  FWIW, it isn't growls that turn me off as much as the style of music (doom, black, death etc...) that they're usually accompanied by.  Have a listen to Rage of Despair, my #11 favorite song from this millennium, and tell me I can't like/appreciate growls.  It's almost 50/50 growls:clean, heavy as fuck, great melodies and balanced with fantastic clean vocals/harmonies that are just killer. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: September 08, 2018, 10:58:34 AM »
I just noticed, Kade has worked out a nice 'straight' with his scores, Lethean has a full house, and Alex has a helluva cribbage score!   :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: September 08, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
Sent a fantastic song.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1324 on: September 08, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »
I just noticed, Kade has worked out a nice 'straight' with his scores, Lethean has a full house, and Alex has a helluva cribbage score!   :lol
I have a terrible golf score for the first 5 holes  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1325 on: September 08, 2018, 12:04:15 PM »
I'm determined to get you to like (or at least tolerate) harsh vocals more... If TAC can do it, so can you  :biggrin:
Seriously, you guys have done a great job in getting TAC to tolerate and sometimes appreciate harsh vocals. He's now sending me melodic death metal in my own roulette, which seriously surprised me. :tup It's one of the beauties of roulettes, introducing people to stuff outside their comfort zone that they still like or even love.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1326 on: September 08, 2018, 12:34:57 PM »
Except for this grumpy ole fart.

You may have broke Tim, but I'm not sure you can break me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1327 on: September 08, 2018, 12:43:13 PM »

You’re already half way there. There will be no converting me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: September 08, 2018, 12:57:28 PM »

You’re already half way there. There will be no converting me.

Yeah, you and Jay are definitely unbreakable.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: September 08, 2018, 01:09:38 PM »
I thought Tim was unbreakable like Paul and myself in regards to the growls.

But then Tim was out like Kramer.

And then there was two!