Author Topic: Portnoy invites the DT guys to play the 12 step with him  (Read 50146 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

Jatruccyundessgini

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Portnoy invites the DT guys to play the 12 step with him
« Reply #317 on: August 03, 2016, 11:45:16 AM »
:facepalm:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #318 on: August 03, 2016, 11:56:11 AM »
I was reading through this thread and to all those who say DT and MP will eventually get back together or might get back together then site GnR, Van Halen ect.. as examples. Keep in mind that the majority of the bands oft brought up split when they were in their 30's. DT are all within 49-59. Like it or not they don't have another 30 years in them.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:14:20 PM by El JoNNo »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #319 on: August 03, 2016, 12:20:55 PM »
Yet, he doesn't seem to remember JM and JP discovered him at Berkley, which means Those two are the main core of the band.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #320 on: August 03, 2016, 12:41:03 PM »
I haven't posted in a few months on here, so I hope I'm not opening a can of worms, but this thread caught my eye right away.

MP was and is the "soul" of DT.     I like Mike Mangini. He's good drummer and a good guy.  I even saw him during his brief stint in Extreme at a dump called THE ROXY on Long Island  (run by the same dude who ran SUNDANCE)

However, in my opinion, DT has been "sterile" since MP was canned.  In my opinion, THE ASTONISHING either would not have been made or would sound a lot different if MP were in the band to counter JP's ideas (yes, the fact that I don't like THE ASTONISHING probably influenced that opinion).

I won't even mention my feelings that THE LOOKING GLASS lyrics that you all shot at me for   :-)

I still remain optimistic that a reunion will happen.  But I also think the Islanders are coming back to Long Island, so what do I know??!??

However, if by some miracle, DT takes him up on his offer to play on the cruise (which they certainly will not)  Mike Mangini should obviously play also

- TC

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #321 on: August 03, 2016, 12:46:40 PM »
I think a lot of us feel that way but are realistic about how the break up happened and how Mike has handled himself after the break up.  I just don't see it happening any time soon.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #322 on: August 03, 2016, 12:49:13 PM »
However, in my opinion, DT has been "sterile" since MP was canned.  In my opinion, THE ASTONISHING either would not have been made or would sound a lot different if MP were in the band to counter JP's ideas (yes, the fact that I don't like THE ASTONISHING probably influenced that opinion).

They were thinking about another concept album for some time already, I remember reading somewhere there was even the idea for the follow up to Black Clouds to be a concept, with the tour being half the concept and half the 12 steps suite. They would have done a concept in an album or two anyway, and of course with MP's input it would have been different.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #323 on: August 03, 2016, 12:52:38 PM »
While your opinion in respected, you also named some obvious things.

Obviously his opinion would have countered JP's, like EVERYONE ELSE's opinion in the band.
Never have we been told that JP and JR wrote 100% the album, and told MM exactly where and when to hit.
And JLB obviously contributed to the developement of the album.

And from what I see, you associated TLG lyrics to MP, which is total nonsense.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #324 on: August 03, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
I haven't posted in a few months on here, so I hope I'm not opening a can of worms, but this thread caught my eye right away.

MP was and is the "soul" of DT.     I like Mike Mangini. He's good drummer and a good guy.  I even saw him during his brief stint in Extreme at a dump called THE ROXY on Long Island  (run by the same dude who ran SUNDANCE)

I won't even mention my feelings that THE LOOKING GLASS lyrics that you all shot at me for   :-)

I still remain optimistic that a reunion will happen.  But I also think the Islanders are coming back to Long Island, so what do I know??!??

However, if by some miracle, DT takes him up on his offer to play on the cruise (which they certainly will not)  Mike Mangini should obviously play also

- TC

MP? That you?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: August 03, 2016, 01:10:43 PM »

- TC

MP? That you?

Cant be since Tony said MM should have been invited and MP did not invite him  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: August 03, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »
Mike Por - Tony.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #327 on: August 03, 2016, 01:58:36 PM »
@Tony from Long Island

I feel that DT became stale *before MP left. While Systematic and Black Clouds have some good songs, both of these releases feel "formulaic". ADTOE had a very fresh sound. I don't think the band would have written something like ADTOE with MP still behind the kit.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #328 on: August 03, 2016, 02:25:40 PM »
since MP was canned. 

ummm....let's not re-write history here. MP quit. He wasn't canned. He tried a long con on the other members so he could have his cake and eat it to and they called his bluff and he quit. He wasn't canned....he quit. Not canned. Quit.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #329 on: August 03, 2016, 02:34:26 PM »
Cant be since Tony said MM should have been invited and MP did not invite him  :lol

:lol

• No Day But Today
« Reply #330 on: August 03, 2016, 02:35:50 PM »
Wow!    Am I MP?    :-)   I wish . . . 

go back and read my opinions on the Looking Glass Lyrics. . . . that was fun . . . .

for that guy who said he quit . . . I disagree..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

• No Day But Today
« Reply #331 on: August 03, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
On yeah . . . for Gmiller guy . .    yes, I agree that they were a bit STALE before MP left. . .  but that's not the same as being "sterile" since then.

I did very much like the 2013 DT album.    However, I haven't been able to listen to THE ASTONISHING through one time.   It's the first DT album I truly disdain.  It's pretentious, and the story is rehashed from a million other "concept" albums.    The concept in general is laughable . . . but anyway . . .not what this thread is about . . .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: August 03, 2016, 02:50:39 PM »

Disagree all you want.

He quit.

He wasn't fired.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #333 on: August 03, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »

Disagree all you want.

He quit.

He wasn't fired.

Yeah. I don't see what there is to 'disagree' with. He left the band. They didn't fire him. They said they were't taking any breaks...at all....he said fine then, I'll leave...where I contend he was fully expecting them to beg him to stay whereas they just let him leave. It has worked out for the best for both.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: August 03, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
Of course.

He even tried to worm his way back in AFTER they'd filmed the Drummer Doc AND gone through all the legal paperwork etc with getting Mangini in

" FOR THE FANS "

Oh Please.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #335 on: August 03, 2016, 03:10:25 PM »
This video is more relevant than I thought it would be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj_8E3FOU4s

It's pretentious,

::)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #336 on: August 03, 2016, 06:31:18 PM »

Disagree all you want.

He quit.

He wasn't fired.
Yeah, there isn't really anything to debate.  Even MP said that he left.  None of the five guys involved disagrees with that. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• No Day But Today
« Reply #337 on: August 04, 2016, 07:18:26 AM »
"Leaving"  while having no other option isn't really quitting.       "Letting someone leave"  while declining to show any type of loyalty to a founding member and long-time friend isn't really "firing"    so maybe it's a little of both.

For the guy who said it worked out well for both . . . really????      The Astonishing????    Yuck!

Yes, I like Winery Dogs. But DT members had been pursuing "outside projects" for years, so Winery Dogs could still have existed while MP was in DT.

I do admit that I like the 2013 DT album . . .  a lot . . . but to say it worked out well for both?     It worked out for Mike Mangini, who is a good guy and an excellent drummer.

I don't see how frayed long-time friendships can be seen as a net positive, whether it's in a band or in life.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #338 on: August 04, 2016, 07:22:56 AM »
"Leaving"  while having no other option isn't really quitting. 

The option was there, find in himself the will to carry on. "Ok, guys, I know I asked for a break, but seeing as you all four want to continue and the only solution would be leaving, I'd rather accept the situation and commit myself to this, 'cause I don't want to lose Dream Theater".

He left. End of the story.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: August 04, 2016, 07:24:09 AM »
The no other option part was on him.  It was all or nothing.  5 year break or else.  He could have asked for 2 years but in the end he decided he couldn't do it anymore.  So he did leave.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: August 04, 2016, 07:44:17 AM »
The no other option part was on him.  It was all or nothing.  5 year break or else.  He could have asked for 2 years but in the end he decided he couldn't do it anymore.  So he did leave.

It was not "5 year break or else". He said he asked for less, even half a year iirc, but the band wanted to continue, so he decided to leave.
Nothing at all wrong with the band wanting to continue and keep their momentum, especially as this is their main job, I just see some people have gotten hazy on the details over the past 6 years. :P
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:50:18 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: August 04, 2016, 08:09:06 AM »
He talked about a 5 year break.  I never read anything about less time after that.  Lets not cloudy this.  MP lost his priorities by playing in so many other bands.  Was burnt out on DT, wanted them to take a break.  He backed himself in that corner.  This isn't on the 4 other guys and never will be.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #342 on: August 04, 2016, 08:12:51 AM »
He talked about a 5 year break.  I never read anything about less time after that.  Lets not cloudy this.  MP lost his priorities by playing in so many other bands.  Was burnt out on DT, wanted them to take a break.  He backed himself in that corner.  This isn't on the 4 other guys and never will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLRo9RT539k
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: August 04, 2016, 08:20:34 AM »

Come on.  He wanted a break from DT.  It's still on him  1 year or 5 year it doesn't matter.  He still left the band because he put himself in that position.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #344 on: August 04, 2016, 08:22:13 AM »

It was not "5 year break or else". He said he asked for less, even half a year iirc, but the band wanted to continue, so he decided to leave.
Nothing at all wrong with the band wanting to continue and keep their momentum, especially as this is their main job, I just see some people have gotten hazy on the details over the past 6 years. :P
All true.  (except that I don't remember it being shortened to quite half a year--I think it was more like a year or two, but I could be misremembering)  But people have been saying it was "5 years or else" from the beginning, even though I think it was relatively clear that that was only Mike's initial proposal and he then offered some sort of middle ground.  Not that that ultimately changes things at the end of the day, but I agree that what actually happened should be presented fairly instead of just a partial (and biased) picture.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #345 on: August 04, 2016, 08:23:17 AM »

Come on.  He wanted a break from DT.  It's still on him  1 year or 5 year it doesn't matter.  He still left the band because he put himself in that position.

I'm not denying that.
He says there that he didn't say specifically 5 years.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: August 04, 2016, 08:24:12 AM »
He thought relationships were strained in DT. ***

Wanted a break to go off touring with AX7

DT didn't want a break so he left to join AX7

AX7 said that was never on the cards

MP tried to get back in DT but they'd already hired Mangini and gone through all the legal stuff to do that.

This is all from the mouths of DT & AX7. Of course what MP said happened is probably different...

*** Funnily enough - everyone gets on great now.....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: August 04, 2016, 08:25:21 AM »
Again, I could care less if it was one, two or five years.  What matters is Mike put himself in that position and forced himself out of the band.  Now I love the guy and follow most of his musical endeavors but it's still on him that he is no longer in DT.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #348 on: August 04, 2016, 08:25:40 AM »
He thought relationships were strained in DT. ***

Wanted a break to go off touring with AX7

DT didn't want a break so he left to join AX7

AX7 said that was never on the cards

MP tried to get back in DT but they'd already hired Mangini and gone through all the legal stuff to do that.

This is all from the mouths of DT & AX7. Of course what MP said happened is probably different...

*** Funnily enough - everyone gets on great now.....

Put the press release...
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: August 04, 2016, 08:33:38 AM »

All true.  (except that I don't remember it being shortened to quite half a year--I think it was more like a year or two, but I could be misremembering)  But people have been saying it was "5 years or else" from the beginning, even though I think it was relatively clear that that was only Mike's initial proposal and he then offered some sort of middle ground.  Not that that ultimately changes things at the end of the day, but I agree that what actually happened should be presented fairly instead of just a partial (and biased) picture.

I'm remembering down to either a year or half a year (I recall it was half a year, but I can't find the original source for his clarification now), but yeah, my only point was clearing up the misconception that it was 5 years or nothing, which is definitely false. People can have whatever opinion they want on the split, just at least have all of the relevant information. I wasn't arguing one side over another at all.