Author Topic: Portnoy invites the DT guys to play the 12 step with him  (Read 49652 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Portnoy invites the DT guys to play the 12 step with him
« Reply #350 on: August 04, 2016, 08:55:37 AM »
I get you.  It gets blurry at time goes by.  Old fogey problems.  But it still remains all on Mike.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #351 on: August 04, 2016, 09:14:22 AM »
I get you.  It gets blurry at time goes by.  Old fogey problems.  But it still remains all on Mike.

Well, yes...  But I still feel like that kind of terminology is misleading.  It still kinda "takes sides."  As I've said elsewhere, I don't think there really are "sides" to the story, because it wasn't a "Mike vs. the band" situation--at least, as far as the information presented.  They just had incompatible interests and came to an impasse on how to resolve it.  Mike thought it was in his and the band's best interests to take a break.  The other four felt it was in the band's best interests to keep up the momentum and move forward immediately as had already been planned and scheduled.  Mike presented compromise positions, and perhaps those were fair, but none of them ultimately would have allowed the band to move forward on the schedule they had all previously agreed to and scheduled.  Rather than move forward with the plan, Mike opted to step aside.  And that's fine.  It was his choice.  He made it.  They moved on. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #352 on: August 04, 2016, 09:17:39 AM »

Well, yes...  But I still feel like that kind of terminology is misleading.  It still kinda "takes sides."  As I've said elsewhere, I don't think there really are "sides" to the story, because it wasn't a "Mike vs. the band" situation--at least, as far as the information presented.  They just had incompatible interests and came to an impasse on how to resolve it.  Mike thought it was in his and the band's best interests to take a break.  The other four felt it was in the band's best interests to keep up the momentum and move forward immediately as had already been planned and scheduled.  Mike presented compromise positions, and perhaps those were fair, but none of them ultimately would have allowed the band to move forward on the schedule they had all previously agreed to and scheduled.  Rather than move forward with the plan, Mike opted to step aside.  And that's fine.  It was his choice.  He made it.  They moved on.

DTF hasn't.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: August 04, 2016, 09:19:22 AM »
And I get that but even though I loved him for this, maybe 2 things happened.  He loved playing in side projects.  So 1.  Maybe he was burnt out on DT because he was playing so much or 2.  He found out he was burnt out on their style and loved playing with other players.   While I loved all his side projects, it had to have an affect on his decision to take a break.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #354 on: August 04, 2016, 09:31:45 AM »
And I get that but even though I loved him for this, maybe 2 things happened.  He loved playing in side projects.  So 1.  Maybe he was burnt out on DT because he was playing so much or 2.  He found out he was burnt out on their style and loved playing with other players.   While I loved all his side projects, it had to have an affect on his decision to take a break.

I would think it most certainly had an EFFECT on his decision. He likes to keep busy and try new ventures to experiment and experience the different kinds of music he enjoys.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: August 04, 2016, 09:42:56 AM »
Sometimes you don't know how good you got it until it's gone.  I 100% believe that is what he realized.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #356 on: August 04, 2016, 09:47:53 AM »
I would think it most certainly had an EFFECT on his decision. He likes to keep busy and try new ventures to experiment and experience the different kinds of music he enjoys.

Sometimes you don't know how good you got it until it's gone.  I 100% believe that is what he realized.

Agreed on both points.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: August 04, 2016, 10:13:01 AM »

I put affect.  Oops! :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #358 on: August 04, 2016, 10:20:01 AM »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #359 on: August 04, 2016, 10:24:13 AM »
"Leaving"  while having no other option isn't really quitting.       "Letting someone leave"  while declining to show any type of loyalty to a founding member and long-time friend isn't really "firing"    so maybe it's a little of both.
Wow, no.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #360 on: August 04, 2016, 10:50:23 AM »
I was reading through this thread and to all those who say DT and MP will eventually get back together or might get back together then site GnR, Van Halen ect.. as examples. Keep in mind that the majority of the bands oft brought up split when they were in their 30's. DT are all within 49-59. Like it or not they don't have another 30 years in them.

Plus, no offense intended to DT, bands like GnR and Van Halen were about a million times more popular and well known, so the pressure to reunite would be far more expected than if it was DT.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #361 on: August 04, 2016, 11:20:22 AM »
Go ask your glorious master supreme commander duke count holy shit overlord king of the seven seas master of puppets highlord of masters and patriarchs if your majesty was kicked or quit DT. And the tyrant will tell you he left.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #362 on: August 04, 2016, 11:25:04 AM »
"Leaving"  while having no other option isn't really quitting.       "Letting someone leave"  while declining to show any type of loyalty to a founding member and long-time friend isn't really "firing"    so maybe it's a little of both.
Wow, no.

Sorry, Tony, but do you know MP personally? It's an honest question, because you seem to take all this really at heart to the point of rearranging things so that they can suit your point of view.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #363 on: August 04, 2016, 11:25:47 AM »
He thought relationships were strained in DT. ***

Wanted a break to go off touring with AX7

DT didn't want a break so he left to join AX7

AX7 said that was never on the cards

MP tried to get back in DT but they'd already hired Mangini and gone through all the legal stuff to do that.

This is all from the mouths of DT & AX7. Of course what MP said happened is probably different...

*** Funnily enough - everyone gets on great now.....
Honestly guys, this.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: August 04, 2016, 11:27:52 AM »
I just groan when I see that MP will " obviously " rejoin DT like it's 100% a done deal.

Nobody knows what will happen tomorrow of course but to be that certain....

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #365 on: August 04, 2016, 11:36:45 AM »
I just groan when I see that MP will " obviously " rejoin DT like it's 100% a done deal.

Nobody knows what will happen tomorrow of course but to be that certain....

Mike Portnoy will obviously return DT

DT just lost the manliness that used to make them DT.

Jatruccyundessgini

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: August 04, 2016, 11:48:52 AM »
 :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #367 on: August 04, 2016, 11:59:03 AM »

Actually, DTF has, when you consider that most of the posters here have accepted Mangini as the new drummer.  That is moving on.

The Portnoy fans who still long for the old days, insist that he was the heart and soul of the band, and keep insisting that he will be back one day, are the ones who can't get over it.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #368 on: August 04, 2016, 12:24:29 PM »

Actually, DTF has, when you consider that most of the posters here have accepted Mangini as the new drummer.  That is moving on.

The Portnoy fans who still long for the old days, insist that he was the heart and soul of the band, and keep insisting that he will be back one day, are the ones who can't get over it.

Exactly this.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: August 04, 2016, 12:25:17 PM »

Exactly this.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #370 on: August 04, 2016, 01:33:15 PM »

I'm not saying that people haven't moved on. I'm saying it, in jest, that we still have this lengthy discussions about the whole damn thing, still arguing about the specifics. So, in part, it still can't be totally let go.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: August 04, 2016, 01:35:10 PM »
It's never been the same since KM left.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #372 on: August 04, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »

Life on stage left with Steve Stone, guy knew how to turn on the audience.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: August 04, 2016, 01:46:18 PM »
 :lol

What's not controversial is bands with longevity never satisfy it's full fan base.   Band get influenced by the times.  Some fans are stuck in certain eras.  It's just life.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 02:10:56 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #374 on: August 04, 2016, 02:09:16 PM »

Life on stage left with Steve Stone, guy knew how to turn on the audience.

Long Beach screamed for him

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #375 on: August 04, 2016, 03:06:13 PM »
I get you.  It gets blurry at time goes by.  Old fogey problems. But it still remains all on Mike.

Well, yes...  But I still feel like that kind of terminology is misleading.  It still kinda "takes sides."  As I've said elsewhere, I don't think there really are "sides" to the story, because it wasn't a "Mike vs. the band" situation--at least, as far as the information presented.  They just had incompatible interests and came to an impasse on how to resolve it. Mike thought it was in his and the band's best interests to take a break.  The other four felt it was in the band's best interests to keep up the momentum and move forward immediately as had already been planned and scheduled.  Mike presented compromise positions, and perhaps those were fair, but none of them ultimately would have allowed the band to move forward on the schedule they had all previously agreed to and scheduled.  Rather than move forward with the plan, Mike opted to step aside.  And that's fine.  It was his choice.  He made it.  They moved on.

Check the boded.
Well, that's awful lawyerly, there, Bosky!

King says "It's on Mike".
Bosk says "It was his choice"
How is that any different? ;D

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #376 on: August 04, 2016, 06:49:56 PM »
I get you.  It gets blurry at time goes by.  Old fogey problems. But it still remains all on Mike.

Well, yes...  But I still feel like that kind of terminology is misleading.  It still kinda "takes sides."  As I've said elsewhere, I don't think there really are "sides" to the story, because it wasn't a "Mike vs. the band" situation--at least, as far as the information presented.  They just had incompatible interests and came to an impasse on how to resolve it. Mike thought it was in his and the band's best interests to take a break.  The other four felt it was in the band's best interests to keep up the momentum and move forward immediately as had already been planned and scheduled.  Mike presented compromise positions, and perhaps those were fair, but none of them ultimately would have allowed the band to move forward on the schedule they had all previously agreed to and scheduled.  Rather than move forward with the plan, Mike opted to step aside.  And that's fine.  It was his choice.  He made it.  They moved on.

Check the boded.
Well, that's awful lawyerly, there, Bosky!

King says "It's on Mike".
Bosk says "It was his choice"
How is that any different? ;D

As I have said, the only "difference" is in the tone.  I agree with the basic facts and the basic conclusion.  It's just that King's way of putting it makes it seem like it was "Mike Portnoy vs. DT" and that it was very contentious.  I have never really had the sense that it was.  Yes, it became that way after the fact, in large part I think because Of Portnoy's failure to handle the situation maturely.  But at the time, even though it truly was ultimately Mike's decision, you could almost say that it was mutual because they simply had incompatible goals.  That's all I'm saying.  Ultimately, we are saying nearly the same thing.  It's just the "MP vs. DT" tone that I object to. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #377 on: August 04, 2016, 06:58:13 PM »
I know what we can all agree on:

Adrenaline Mob

Let's come together in camaraderie in our unspoken but likely unanimous feelings about Adrenaline Mob.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #378 on: August 04, 2016, 07:05:23 PM »
No.  Let us not.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: August 04, 2016, 07:10:24 PM »
It wasn't meant that way sir but I think we all can say Mike was burnt for many reasons on DT and him flirting with other bands didn't help.  Like you said, the other band members didn't feel the same and in the end Mike made the decision.

And this is from a guy that followed all the side projects and I loved that about him.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #380 on: August 04, 2016, 08:50:06 PM »
No.  Let us not.

There's young(er) Christopher Lee throwing a broadsword into my unifying Adrenaline Mob hate-in...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #381 on: August 05, 2016, 05:49:53 AM »
No.  Let us not.

There's young(er) Christopher Lee throwing a broadsword into my unifying Adrenaline Mob hate-in...

I can share in your detestation of them. I've tried numerous times to listen to them but it just doesn't work for me.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #382 on: August 05, 2016, 06:26:51 AM »
I still chuckle about the episode of That Metal Show where Billy Sheehan was the guest musician and every time they'd cut to him to talk, they'd finish up and be like "And in that time, Mike Portnoy just joined three more bands", etc.  :lol

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #383 on: August 05, 2016, 07:39:18 AM »

Plus, no offense intended to DT, bands like GnR and Van Halen were about a million times more popular and well known, so the pressure to reunite would be far more expected than if it was DT.

I'm not sure I agree.  It's true that those bands were far more well known and "popular,"   but DT has a much more hard-core and loyal fan base.

I actually felt TERRIBLE that I hate The Astonishing.   It mattered to me.  It bothered me that I hated it.

On the other hand, I actually kinda liked Van Halen III  :-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #384 on: August 05, 2016, 07:51:12 AM »

I'm not sure I agree.  It's true that those bands were far more well known and "popular,"   but DT has a much more hard-core and loyal fan base.

I actually felt TERRIBLE that I hate The Astonishing.   It mattered to me.  It bothered me that I hated it.

On the other hand, I actually kinda liked Van Halen III  :-)

I agree. DT have a cult following that would jump on board for a reunion no matter what. I don't think popularity has anything to do with it. That's sort of like saying that unless a band is exceedingly popular, why bother at all?