Author Topic: Portnoy invites the DT guys to play the 12 step with him  (Read 49626 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Portnoy invites the DT guys to play the 12 step with him
« Reply #385 on: August 05, 2016, 07:57:39 AM »
No.  Let us not.

There's young(er) Christopher Lee throwing a broadsword into my unifying Adrenaline Mob hate-in...

I can share in your detestation of them. I've tried numerous times to listen to them but it just doesn't work for me.
I share it as well.  I just don't want this thread to get bogged down in that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #386 on: August 05, 2016, 07:59:46 AM »
Plus, neither the GnR  or Van Halen reunions are "real"

No Izzy?     No Matt Sorum?  (Steve Adler just can't hack it..)    But especially IZZY.  He was the best songwriter in GnR.

I am more OK with Van Halen because the bass player is actually named VAN HALEN....but couldn't he have played Rhythm guitar?

I'm kinda torn about reuinions.   Imagine DT broke up for 10 years.     A true reunion would HAVE to include JP, MP, JM, JL and either of the keyboard players.    Just as a true GnR reunion would HAVE to include  Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy.   Anything less (without extenuating circumstances) isn't truly a reunion.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #387 on: August 05, 2016, 08:01:40 AM »
No.  Let us not.

There's young(er) Christopher Lee throwing a broadsword into my unifying Adrenaline Mob hate-in...

I can share in your detestation of them. I've tried numerous times to listen to them but it just doesn't work for me.

Indeed.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #388 on: August 05, 2016, 08:03:44 AM »
Plus, neither the GnR  or Van Halen reunions are "real"

No Izzy?     No Matt Sorum?  (Steve Adler just can't hack it..)    But especially IZZY.  He was the best songwriter in GnR.

I am more OK with Van Halen because the bass player is actually named VAN HALEN....but couldn't he have played Rhythm guitar?

I'm kinda torn about reuinions.   Imagine DT broke up for 10 years.     A true reunion would HAVE to include JP, MP, JM, JL and either of the keyboard players.    Just as a true GnR reunion would HAVE to include  Axl, Slash, Duff and Izzy.   Anything less (without extenuating circumstances) isn't truly a reunion.

As far as a true reunion, I suppose it would have to be either JR or KM on keys. They make the most sense.

And yes, I'm intentionally ignoring discussing GNR and VH because they're nothing to me.

• No Day But Today
« Reply #389 on: August 05, 2016, 08:18:08 AM »

As far as a true reunion, I suppose it would have to be either JR or KM on keys. They make the most sense.

And yes, I'm intentionally ignoring discussing GNR and VH because they're nothing to me.

That's because you are a PROG SNOB!    :-)           To paraphrase Dee Snider (who also means nothing to you I'm sure)  "If it ain't PROG, It's CRAP!!"

P.S. please take notice of the sarcasm
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #390 on: August 05, 2016, 08:21:37 AM »

That's because you are a PROG SNOB!    :-)           To paraphrase Dee Snider (who also means nothing to you I'm sure)  "If it ain't PROG, It's CRAP!!"

Not a total prog snob.  ;)  I just despise Axl and think VH is overrated.  Sarcasm is noted, though.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #391 on: August 05, 2016, 08:21:51 AM »
I just can't see how is GnR even in this topic.
Axl only did ONE album on his own, DT has done 3 without MP and 10 without KM.
There really wasn't any GnR after the famous lineup quit, as much as I like Chinese Democracy, other than hugging from their past fame and past record sales.
However, DT hasn't slowed down one bit since MP left, and if any, they're more productive.
So I don't see this MP coming back happening simply because he isn't needed for any reason.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #392 on: August 05, 2016, 08:32:25 AM »
No.  Let us not.

I did say unspoken. Our hate-in was to be through the ether.

In fact, it's going on right now and you're in attendance. I feel the harmony already.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #393 on: August 05, 2016, 08:39:25 AM »
No.  Let us not.

I did say unspoken. Our hate-in was to be through the ether.

In fact, it's going on right now and you're in attendance. I feel the harmony already.

There's a lot of words going back and forth for something meant to be unspoken.  ;)

• No Day But Today
« Reply #394 on: August 05, 2016, 10:40:31 AM »

Ummm  because this thread is about a (highly improbable) DT reunion and GnR is in the midst of a sort of "reunion" tour.   You see no relevance?

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #395 on: August 05, 2016, 10:43:28 AM »

Ummm  because this thread is about a (highly improbable) DT reunion and GnR is in the midst of a sort of "reunion" tour.   You see no relevance?

I explained why inmediately after that.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: August 05, 2016, 03:52:57 PM »

Not a total prog snob.  ;)  I just despise Axl and think VH is overrated.  Sarcasm is noted, though.

Eddie may be an asshole, but VH rock  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #397 on: August 05, 2016, 04:42:02 PM »

Eddie may be an asshole, but VH rock  :metal :metal :metal

These guys rock harder than VH.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP9Wp6QVbsk

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #398 on: August 05, 2016, 07:02:07 PM »

Plus, no offense intended to DT, bands like GnR and Van Halen were about a million times more popular and well known, so the pressure to reunite would be far more expected than if it was DT.

I'm not sure I agree.  It's true that those bands were far more well known and "popular,"   but DT has a much more hard-core and loyal fan base.

I actually felt TERRIBLE that I hate The Astonishing.   It mattered to me.  It bothered me that I hated it.

On the other hand, I actually kinda liked Van Halen III  :-)

You hate an album you haven't listened to?  ::)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #399 on: August 06, 2016, 09:32:44 AM »
Saying VH is overrated just doesn't even make any fucking sense. Even from someone who calls themself "snob". :lol

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #400 on: August 06, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »
Saying VH is overrated just doesn't even make any fucking sense.

How?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #401 on: August 06, 2016, 08:48:28 PM »
Saying VH is overrated just doesn't even make any fucking sense. Even from someone who calls themself "snob". :lol

Disregarding the tiresome snob reference...

Popularity aside, and that should never be a measurement of how great a band is, and I'll gladly provide popular music artists who defy that as any rational argument, why doesn't it make any fucking sense? Sure, they had some great songs, but I don't think they deserve all of the accolades they get. Most popular bands don't. A lot of VH's albums are filler, especially the DLR era albums. This is the same general public that gave us Trump and Hillary. Something tells me that people will only look as far as what's in front of their face, ignoring any peripheral observations. It's like people who fawn over Led Zeppelin as the greatest rock band ever, meanwhile most live performances I've heard from them are not the caliber of the "greatest rock band", not even in the Top 10. I'll take Floyd, The Beatles, The Who, and The Doors any day over LZ, VH, or GNR.

So how can I make sense out of my comment? Easily. By listening to bands that are dreadfully underrated and not caring how many albums they sell. When you don't have to appease the general public, it opens up the possibilities to be a musician, not an entertainer. That reference directly from Gene Simmons who personally labeled bands like Kiss as entertainers, not musicians. It's a perfectly coherent train of thought.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #402 on: August 06, 2016, 08:49:54 PM »
The 1st 4 albums changed a genre and we're fresh, new any very influential.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #403 on: August 06, 2016, 10:06:45 PM »
I don't even like VH that much and even I admit that the debut album is one of the greatest rock records ever recorded. 

EVH changed the way every kid in America learned to play guitar, and DLR (while being admittedly tiresome to some people) *INVENTED* the new era of front man as a "ring leader" and "MC of events" instead of just being the guy who sung the songs.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #404 on: August 06, 2016, 10:17:15 PM »
So many rock guitarists owe their existence to Eddie, Petrucci included. He would probably be the first to admit that.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #405 on: August 07, 2016, 10:18:54 PM »
Yep, Van Halen came with a new sound and guitar players started to play like Eddie. I saw VH twice, in 81 and 84. I think they came with a solid first album, a great one in fact. Live, they were partying totally. Certainly not being as pro and serious about their performance. Cannot be 100% when under some sort of medecine. But they were delivering their stuff not as bad than any other bands who were using a lot ot med (the Who, I love them so much but they were really flying, the Doors, Morison drunk most of the time). I found Roth way too much of a poser since he was constantly chatting between songs but it was part of the whole VH package. Didn't like them that much after DLR departure.

So to me, VH changed the music and Eddy is a master, some Bethoven of the rock music.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #406 on: August 08, 2016, 12:02:07 AM »
[OFF-TOPIC]
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #407 on: August 08, 2016, 12:03:22 AM »
[OFF-TOPIC]

That might be for the best at this point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #408 on: August 08, 2016, 08:30:12 AM »
[OFF-TOPIC]

It is but people were going that way
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #409 on: August 08, 2016, 12:54:10 PM »
I hate to interrupt this Van Halen thread with Mike Portnoy info but this was an interesting comment he made on his facebook page

Some fan commented: "Mike, please come back with Dream Theater, without you is no longer the same band!"

Mike responded: "So tell that to THEM!"

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #410 on: August 08, 2016, 01:02:52 PM »
I hate to interrupt this Van Halen thread with Mike Portnoy info but this was an interesting comment he made on his facebook page

Some fan commented: "Mike, please come back with Dream Theater, without you is no longer the same band!"

:lol

Or, he could go back in time and tell himself not to be so capricious.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: August 08, 2016, 02:28:33 PM »
Jesus Fucking Christ.

To Quote Lars Ulrich : HE FUCKING LEFT THE BAND. :facepalm:

Oh My God.

Online Adami

« Reply #412 on: August 08, 2016, 02:37:37 PM »

I have to ask if that's real. We've had a ton of fake joke ones in this thread. That one just seems way too over the top.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: August 08, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »
Someone check his official Facebook.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #414 on: August 08, 2016, 02:44:02 PM »

I have to ask if that's real. We've had a ton of fake joke ones in this thread. That one just seems way too over the top.

Completely real.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1300245863326386&substory_index=0&id=116713035013014
Mike gives this kind of responses very very often.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #415 on: August 08, 2016, 02:47:41 PM »
He should've just left it at "Thank you, I appreciate that."
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: August 08, 2016, 02:49:27 PM »

He can't.  Six years later and he still can't.

Online Adami

« Reply #417 on: August 08, 2016, 02:53:57 PM »

Completely real.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1300245863326386&substory_index=0&id=116713035013014
Mike gives this kind of responses very very often.

I'm too lazy to find the Picard face palm meme, but that's my response. Oh mike....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: August 08, 2016, 02:57:34 PM »
• Drummer tries to have his cake & eat it

• Drummer quits band

• Band hires new drummer

• Old Drummer tries to get back in band once new drummer has joined

• Old drummer slags off the band for not letting him back in after he quit and they hired a new drummer.

• Old Drummer continues to act like the victim when the band have done nothing wrong in the slightest.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #419 on: August 08, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »

If he had, it wouldn't have been a big deal, but in those cases it's best just to not respond.  If this was in person, sure, he would have to respond with something.  But this is facebook, and he doesn't respond to a lot of his comments, so why choose that one?

It's funny.  About 2014 I think the general consensus was that Mike finally moved on.  He had somewhat classy responses to the old tired "You should reunite with Dream Theater" comments.  I believe several times he said, "It would be nice someday but I'm happy where I'm at and they're happy where they're at."

Hey, can't snipe at him for that.  It was pretty tactful. 

Now he is back to 2011 territory and its pretty insufferable.