Author Topic: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan  (Read 63559 times)

Offline dtvoices94

Re: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan
« Reply #630 on: May 25, 2016, 04:27:44 AM »
Tonight it's KISS Rocks Vegas...KISS on the big screen. 
For one night only. On 25 May 2016 Film of KISS' 9 day run of concerts at the Hard Rock Cafe in Las Vegas, Nevada in November 2014. Including exclusive behind the scenes footage.
Anyone checking this out?  Even though I'm not the biggest fan of this lineup, I'm going and I am actually looking forward to it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #631 on: May 25, 2016, 08:54:30 AM »
I'm a big Cheap guy. 
Yeah we know.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #632 on: May 25, 2016, 09:26:14 AM »
I'm a big Cheap guy. 
Yeah we know.

I haven't wined and dined you yet.  How do you know? :eyebrows:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #633 on: May 25, 2016, 10:46:58 AM »
That's how I know.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: May 25, 2016, 10:53:02 AM »
 :lol

Alright, alright.  I'll have to make a trip to NC someday.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #635 on: May 25, 2016, 10:54:18 AM »

You do know that's North Carolina and NOT North Conway right?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: May 25, 2016, 11:25:31 AM »

You do know that's North Carolina and NOT North Conway right?

I was at the Outer Banks 3 years ago so yes Tim. *Rolls eyes*  :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #637 on: May 25, 2016, 02:06:52 PM »
Listening to The Elder right now. Glad I didn´t bought this when I was 15 or something. Actually like the orchestral stuff.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: May 25, 2016, 02:07:37 PM »
I was shocked listening to it but over the years I've come to like it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #639 on: May 25, 2016, 02:47:50 PM »
I've also really been digging some of it over the last several days. I understand the hate, but some of the stuff is right up my alley.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #640 on: May 25, 2016, 02:50:15 PM »
I know Stadler disagrees, but the production really castrates the energy out of the music. Think of The Oath with Animalize's production. Or I with Creature's production.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #641 on: May 26, 2016, 01:14:30 AM »
This is definetely true. They should remaster it. On the whole album there's perhaps only two songs I really don't like. Also, Paul's versatillity in his voice really comes through on this album.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Mladen

« Reply #642 on: May 26, 2016, 02:38:05 AM »
Listening to it right now, tracks like The Oath, Dark light, Only you, Odyssey and A World without heroes are pretty awesome. Mr. Blackwell isn't as bad as I thought it would be, I dislike some of the vocal melodies on the chorus but the rest is groovy. The production is slightly flat, though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #643 on: May 26, 2016, 03:52:27 AM »
Listening to The Elder right now. Glad I didn´t bought this when I was 15 or something. Actually like the orchestral stuff.

I think I was 14 or something. I liked it but it was a bit of a wtf moment compared to what I'd heard from them previously. As a big comic fan I bought into the concept too, which helped.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #644 on: May 26, 2016, 06:25:34 AM »
Other than the fact that it doesn't really fit with the storyline, I always really liked Mr Blackwell. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #645 on: May 26, 2016, 06:56:17 AM »
Music from The Elder was confusing.  I thought it was the soundtrack from some movie that I'd never seen; the title seemed to suggest that.  From the song titles and lyrics, there was obviously a story going on, and I could figure out some of it, but basically it came down to whether or not I liked the music.  Fortunately, I did.  This came at a time when I was getting more into prog, and KISS was holding my interest less and less, so this album helped, as they clearly were trying something different, something more adventurous.

I never did figure out why it was called Music from The Elder if it wasn't from some movie or production called The Elder.  What's the deal there?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #646 on: May 26, 2016, 07:39:22 AM »
 It's my understanding that an actual movie had been planned, but was immediately scrapped upon the instant failure of the album.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #647 on: May 26, 2016, 07:39:59 AM »
The idea was to do a movie or some sort of stage production, but that was shelved when the album was poorly received. Basically Gene Simmons wanted his own version of Tommy.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #648 on: May 26, 2016, 08:10:30 AM »
I know Stadler disagrees, but the production really castrates the energy out of the music. Think of The Oath with Animalize's production. Or I with Creature's production.

Huh.  You like the Creatures production better than the Elder production?    I think it's clear I love the Creatures through Animalize stuff, but it's too trebly and thin for me, and they went back and forth on the drum sound (too heavy on Creatures, and not quite heavy enough on Lick... and Animalize).   

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #649 on: May 26, 2016, 08:41:04 AM »
I was 8 when The Elder was released.  I bought it (it was new and it was KISS) and didn't think much of it.  3 years later I bought the A World Without Heroes/Dark Light 45 for $1 at a local record shop.  I loved Dark Light and revisited The Elder and was pleasantly surprised.  I love it for what it is but it's difficult to rate it vs the rest of the catalog because it's such a stark contrast to anything else they've done.  I guess it is comparable to The Astonishing (which I also love for what it is) in that regard.
Ace's leads smoke, Paul is top notch vocally, and Gene's contributions are solid.  Depending on my mood, it's a 7 or 8 out of 10 for me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #650 on: May 26, 2016, 09:28:33 AM »
Other than the fact that it doesn't really fit with the storyline, I always really liked Mr Blackwell.

I couldn't really follow the storyline because they changed the songs around to put the rocker and the single as the first tracks on side one and two. Makes no sense from then on.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #651 on: May 26, 2016, 11:06:45 AM »

I couldn't really follow the storyline because they changed the songs around to put the rocker and the single as the first tracks on side one and two. Makes no sense from then on.

Ya but how long has it been since that version has been available?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #652 on: May 26, 2016, 11:07:16 AM »
Strange.  I seems like the soundtrack would only be released upon success of the movie or play, not the other way around.  It's cool to write a concept album and be ambitious about it becoming a full-blown production, but the music also has to speak for itself.  With KISS, their style was so firmly fixed already that a major departure from that could be fatal, as it apparently was.  But Tommy was an album first, as was Quadrophenia, so what do I know?

Personally, I don't really think Music from The Elder sounds completely different from earlier stuff; just KISS trying something new, and I have no problem with that.  I can understand if some fans did, though.

As usual, it seems that the suits are at least partly responsible for the failure of the album.  You can't just fuck with the track order of a concept album, for one thing.  Obviously there's an order that makes sense with respect to the story.  This isn't just some batch of songs which can be rearranged randomly or in order to put the lead single first or whatever.  Also, I don't remember seeing any promotion for this album, and certainly nothing to clarify that it was a concept album.  I won't lower myself to use some cliché about KISS fans not being able to understand a concept album or be willing to indulge something other than a random batch of songs, but I'm sure that there was at least some of that factoring in.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: May 26, 2016, 11:10:27 AM »
The real blame was on Gene and Paul.  Ace wanted to do a rock album.  He was outvoted by Gene and Paul.  Their popularity was waning and coming out with a concept album that was not rocking killed it at the time for Kiss.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #654 on: May 26, 2016, 11:11:37 AM »
Music From the Elder has been discussed more in this thread over the last two days than it has been anywhere else in the universe in the last two decades.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #655 on: May 26, 2016, 11:13:11 AM »
I'm curious to see what the end result would have been if Ace had gotten his way.  I mean, I love MFTE, but Ace always seemed to have the proper vision.  Solo album?  Rocked.  Frehley's Comet?  Rocked.  He just has that rocker vibe and feel and style that he wasn't entirely willing to deviate from.  Paul and Gene were willing to, and it bit them in the ass.

Music From the Elder has been discussed more in this thread over the last two days than it has been anywhere else in the universe in the last two decades.

:rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: May 26, 2016, 11:13:18 AM »
Don't say that too load Hef!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #657 on: May 26, 2016, 11:13:46 AM »

That's a loaded statement.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #658 on: May 26, 2016, 11:16:45 AM »
The real blame was on Gene and Paul.  Ace wanted to do a rock album.  He was outvoted by Gene and Paul.  Their popularity was waning and coming out with a concept album that was not rocking killed it at the time for Kiss.
This made me think. What if Creatures of the night had happened before Music from the elder, would have the situation been different? The fan base would have been brought back to the fold and the band would have been able to try something new. More people would've probably checked it out and appreciated it for being different yet realized it has its share of heavier, classic sounding songs.

Going back through the albums I know (now it's the first 10 - thanks, Stadler), listening to the debut. These are the songs that made me fall in love with the band all those years ago.  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: May 26, 2016, 11:17:52 AM »

That's a loaded statement.

Oh Shit. :lol Loud!  Loud! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: May 26, 2016, 11:19:45 AM »
This made me think. What if Creatures of the night had happened before Music from the elder, would have the situation been different? The fan base would have been brought back to the fold and the band would have been able to try something new. More people would've probably checked it out and appreciated it for being different yet realized it has its share of heavier, classic sounding songs.

Going back through the albums I know (now it's the first 10 - thanks, Stadler), listening to the debut. These are the songs that made me fall in love with the band all those years ago.  :metal

Probably not but at the time it was a nail in the coffin.  They had to cancel a tour because no one wanted to see that live.  Creatures tour was bad filling only 5 to 8 thousand a night.  Though the word was out that Ace wasn't in the band anymore.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #661 on: May 26, 2016, 11:21:15 AM »
That makes sense.  Hardcore fans would've been put off by it.  But it worked for me since as I said I'd kinda moved on and was entering my prog phase, and I saw it at the record store one day and thought "I wonder what the boys are up to these days" and it looked like a soundtrack or concept album or something, so I thought "Cool!" and bought it on the spot.  And I wasn't disappointed.  But no, it's definitely not Destroyer or Hotter than Hell.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #662 on: May 26, 2016, 11:21:23 AM »

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: May 26, 2016, 11:23:22 AM »
Talking about the Elder is cathartic.  We are all now admitting we like it but couldn't back then. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #664 on: May 26, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »
It's my wife's favorite KISS album.  Actually the only one she likes.  She caught the famous Fridays episode where they played "A World Without Heroes" and she thought it was a great song.  She's a rocker, but KISS in general is a bit too primal for her.