Author Topic: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan  (Read 62427 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan
« Reply #770 on: February 21, 2017, 10:26:58 AM »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #772 on: February 21, 2017, 10:31:10 AM »
Not a fan of the Ace songs on Unmasked?  I was shocked that "Dark Light" was the only Ace entry.

I really like your Volume 2.  The only change I would've made  is switching out "Burn Bitch Burn" for "Betrayed" (better song, IMO, and keeping another Gene song on it).  BBB is one cliche after another all song long.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #773 on: February 21, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »
While I had my hard drive and blank CDs out, I figured I'd make a 70's Kompilation!

I left out some classics. I really wanted to keep it to one disc, and do I really need Duece, Cold Gin, RnR All Nite and Strutter on this?

These CDs are made to play on the car, to listen to tracks I wouldn't otherwise hear.

Anyway..

Detroit Rock City          Flaming Youth
King Of the Night Time World    C'mon And Love Me
I Want You                  Let Me Go, Rock n Roll
Anything For My Baby   Makin' Love
Baby Driver                Hotter Than Hell
I Stole Your Love        Strange Ways
Rock Bottom               Tomorrow And Tonight
Coming Home             100,000 Years
Hard Luck Woman       Rocket Ride
Parasite                     Love Gun
Shock Me                   Black Diamond
Getaway

Tough to leave a couple tracks off like Do You Love Me, Sweet Pain, and Watchin' You.

I didn't know how to treat Dynasty. That definitely would've pushed it to two CDs. I didn't need that. But Dynasty, to me, stands alone anyway, much like Revenge does.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #774 on: February 21, 2017, 10:52:59 AM »
Not a fan of the Ace songs on Unmasked?  I was shocked that "Dark Light" was the only Ace entry.

I think the Ace songs on Unmasked are terrible. Talk about mailing it in. Compare to the 3 Ace songs on Dynasty, which are amazing. The Ace/Unmasked songs are real disappointments.

I really like your Volume 2.  The only change I would've made  is switching out "Burn Bitch Burn" for "Betrayed" (better song, IMO, and keeping another Gene song on it).  BBB is one cliche after another all song long.

Thanks. Betrayed hasn't aged well for me. It has always felt like a cheap attempt to rob Deuce. I don't mind BBB. Like I said, it rocks pretty good. Other songs for that spot were Lonely Is The Hunter or Hell Or High Water.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #775 on: February 21, 2017, 10:56:32 AM »
While I had my hard drive and blank CDs out, I figured I'd make a 70's Kompilation!

I left out some classics. I really wanted to keep it to one disc, and do I really need Duece, Cold Gin, RnR All Nite and Strutter on this?

Getaway

Tough to leave a couple tracks off like Do You Love Me, Sweet Pain, and Watchin' You.
Yeah, I never have to hear RaRAN ever again.  I really like that compilation.  The only song I would've liked to have on this list is "She".  I'd probably switch out HLW for that. 
Just curious, is this all studio?  "Black Diamond" is probably my favorite KISS song ever.  Don't know if I like the studio or Alive! version better.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #776 on: February 21, 2017, 10:59:32 AM »
I think the Ace songs on Unmasked are terrible. Talk about mailing it in. Compare to the 3 Ace songs on Dynasty, which are amazing. The Ace/Unmasked songs are real disappointments.

Thanks. Betrayed hasn't aged well for me. It has always felt like a cheap attempt to rob Deuce. I don't mind BBB. Like I said, it rocks pretty good. Other songs for that spot were Lonely Is The Hunter or Hell Or High Water.
[/quote]
I agree on the Ace stuff.  Was just curious.

Yeah, come to think of it, "Hell Or High Water" would probably be better than "Betrayed" in my book.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #777 on: February 21, 2017, 11:02:21 AM »
Yeah, I never have to hear RaRAN ever again.  I really like that compilation.  The only song I would've liked to have on this list is "She".  I'd probably switch out HLW for that. 
Just curious, is this all studio?  "Black Diamond" is probably my favorite KISS song ever.  Don't know if I like the studio or Alive! version better.

I made it all studio. It's so rare that I ever get a chance to hear the studio version of Black Diamond. I really like it.

I have never been a fan of She, even when I was a kid. I can make it through a live version from time to time. I thought about leaving off HLW, but I have to say that it was my first favorite KISS song, and I never not enjoy it.

But I love lesser tracks like Getaway, Baby Driver and Anything For My Baby. Now I don't have to load 6 original 30 minute Kiss CDs into my car and fumble with them just to hear a few tracks off of each.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #778 on: February 21, 2017, 11:13:52 AM »
But I love lesser tracks like Getaway, Baby Driver and Anything For My Baby. Now I don't have to load 6 original 30 minute Kiss CDs into my car and fumble with them just to hear a few tracks off of each.
I'm down with that.  With Dressed To Kill being my favorite album of theirs, I love "Getaway" and "Anything For My Baby".  And, "Love Her All I Can" for that matter.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #779 on: February 21, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »
Dynasty, to me, stands alone anyway

It should stand alone.

In a corner.

With Unmasked.

And think about what it's done.

It's borderline blasphemous to put Dynasty in the same sentence with Revenge!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #780 on: February 21, 2017, 11:43:32 AM »
I'm surprised you feel that way, especially as an Ace fan.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #781 on: February 21, 2017, 12:09:57 PM »
headasplode

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #782 on: February 21, 2017, 12:53:25 PM »
Dynasty, to me, stands alone anyway

It should stand alone.

In a corner.

With Unmasked.

And think about what it's done.

I love both those albums and Ace's songs are great. I'd take those on unmasked over Cold Gin any day.

Although I like Revenge I'm taking both Dynasty and Unmasked over it. With Creatures and LIU they are my go to KISS albums.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #783 on: February 21, 2017, 01:38:28 PM »

Baby, wanna put my log in your fire place.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: February 21, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »

These CDs are made to play on the car, to listen to tracks I wouldn't otherwise hear.

Anyway..

Getaway

I didn't know how to treat Dynasty. That definitely would've pushed it to two CDs. I didn't need that. But Dynasty, to me, stands alone anyway, much like Revenge does.

BIG points for Parasite, Strange Ways, Makin' Love and Let Me Go Rock and Roll.  But serious demerits for Baby Driver.   

I have mad love for "She", studio OR live (even with the botched riff in the intro; I'm pretty sure it's one of the more obvious dubs on that record). 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 01:46:43 PM by Stadler »

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #785 on: February 21, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »

Baby, wanna put my log in your fire place.
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: February 21, 2017, 01:44:41 PM »

See, I love his songs on that record.  Even "Torpedo Girl", which, lyrically is a disaster, but I LOVE that chorus.  Just love it. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #787 on: February 21, 2017, 01:51:39 PM »
The only version of She I really like is the 8-3-75 bootleg from Providence. But before that, I have just never been a fan.
"The power's always in her, When she takes off her clothes."  :facepalm:

I think the Ace tunes from Unmasked are so mailed in. I generally love all Ace does, but after the genius of Hard Times, Save Your Love, and even his cover of 2000 Man, the unmasked tracks just don't stand up. Dark Light is still 10 times better than the Unmasked tunes.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #788 on: February 21, 2017, 02:23:40 PM »
Two Sides of the Coin is the only thing I'll listen to from Unmasked.  I could listen to MFTE all day, but Unmasked is just awful.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #789 on: February 21, 2017, 02:33:18 PM »
I think Tomorrow is one of the best KISS songs, across all eras, ever made.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: February 21, 2017, 05:52:28 PM »
I struggle to remember every single track in your lists Tim , but they feature most of my favourites and a few (good) surprises.   You have a few songs in there that I thought I was the only fan of.  Songs like Naked City , I'll Fight Hell To Hold You and (esp) My Way get bagged mercilessly by a lot of KISS fans but I like them - Naked City was my "go to track" for Unmasked.  On the whole I don't think it's a great album though. 

Great to see the Killers songs there.  As I mentioned that was the only album I owned for the first 3 years of my musical journey , so those tracks mean a lot.   Nowhere To Run could be close to my favourite song of theirs. 

Cool story...........at the KISS Convention in Melbourne (1995)) they did a live acoustic set at the end and some signing etc......  During the acoustic set people started yelling out requests so I thought "Why not?" , caught Paul's attention and said "Nowhere To Run".     He actually tried to do it -  played the opening riff , first verse and chorus (with the odd blue) and then stopped ,saying he couldn't remember the rest.   I daresay that is one of the only times that song has been performed live.

Actually they repeated it elsewhere afterwards (see vid below , basically exactly as I recall it) - I was responsible for this :lol    The Conventions started in Australia and USA came after.  I suppose it shows you how good Australia has been to KISS that they did that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGcDmvVL8Uo

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:07:34 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #791 on: February 21, 2017, 06:35:51 PM »
I didn't go when they did the acoustic tour. I seem to remember tickets were insanely expensive.

In the mid to late 80's, the New England KISS Kollectors put on a KISS Convention at the Holiday Inn in Providence each year. I think we went to at least two, maybe three of them. It was always a cool experience. I usually bought a couple of bootlegs at each, and looked through some cool stuff. One year Eric Carr made an appearance. This would've been March/April 1990 . I remember sitting in the lounge area and he was literally at the table behind us. he and his handlers were discussing the upcoming HOTS tour. I remember my friend had a cruise scheduled so he butted in and told Eric about it and not to play Providence at the time. Eric talked with us away from the crowd. he was totally cool.
I took two pics with him, but I was the heaviest I've ever been in my life and it's embarrassing to look at. The pics are long gone, though I'm sure I have the negatives in my basement.

I love Naked City. But I find Unmasked generally terrible. Easy As It Seems doesn't bother me too much. I kind of like it, as wimpy as it is.
Nowhere To run is awesome!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:41:51 PM by TAC »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #792 on: February 21, 2017, 06:42:52 PM »
I actually really dig Unmasked. Not as good as Dynasty, but I would probably take it over The Elder and a couple of the non-makeup 80s albums. Some really underrated tunes on there, such as Naked City and Tomorrow. I actually enjoy the whole first side. The second side starts to trail off but even then it's mostly OK imo.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #793 on: February 21, 2017, 06:46:38 PM »
It's cool that it hits the spot. Hey, I love Asylum, though most KISS fans think it's pretty putrid.

But other than
Naked City and Tomorrow
there's not much else.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #794 on: February 21, 2017, 06:51:15 PM »
 :lol I like Asylum too, it was my intro to 80s Kiss. Not a great album, but pretty much all the Paul songs are top notch with some being among his all time best. Anyway You Slice It actually isn't too bad either.

Also, Is That You is awesome. Sounds great live on the Australia video.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #795 on: February 21, 2017, 07:02:33 PM »
One thing that really boosts Asylum is that I like the Gene tracks, where on most KISS albums, I might like one and skip the rest. But Any Way You Slice It, Trial By Fire, and Secretly Cruel are all excellent. I even like Love's A Deadly Weapon, not withstanding those lyrics.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #796 on: February 21, 2017, 07:27:32 PM »
It's has my favorite song by KISS in the 80's (Tears Are Falling) but Asylum is a weak album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #797 on: February 21, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
It's has my favorite song by KISS in the 80's (Tears Are Falling) but Asylum is a weak album.

No way. How can you say that?

King Of the Mountain, I'm Alive, Any Way You Slice It, Trial By Fire, Secretly Cruel. Even Love's A Deadly Weapon and Who Wants To Be Lonely are decent. And the instrumental track to Radar For Love is awesome, though the lyrics absolutely blow!

But that album art. Now THAT is weak!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #798 on: February 21, 2017, 08:17:11 PM »
You're nuts. Asylum's album art is awesome. You better not tell me you like the album cover for Riot's Fire Down Under.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #799 on: February 21, 2017, 08:24:50 PM »
Narita is much better! :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: February 21, 2017, 08:30:21 PM »
Johnny The Seal  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mosh

« Reply #801 on: February 21, 2017, 09:20:47 PM »
King Of the Mountain is classic Kiss. Certain details notwithstanding (Eric Carr's drum style, the big background vocals), that could easily be on Love Gun.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #802 on: February 22, 2017, 03:46:19 AM »
I really don't like Unmasked overall. Shandy and Naked city are great songs, and Easy as it seems isn't bad. The opening track is sort of listenable. The rest of the album is barely average, very bland and uninspired, making it my least favorite of the make-up era. I'd take The Elder over it, easily. Even Dynasty is better.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #803 on: February 22, 2017, 04:10:42 AM »

No way. How can you say that?

King Of the Mountain, I'm Alive, Any Way You Slice It, Trial By Fire, Secretly Cruel. Even Love's A Deadly Weapon and Who Wants To Be Lonely are decent. And the instrumental track to rRadar For Love is awesome, though the lyrics absolutely blow!

But that album art. Now THAT is weak!

I think at the time I was burnt out on KISS and for me that album was paint by numbers at the time for KISS.  The tour added to it as well. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #804 on: February 22, 2017, 06:08:56 AM »
The Asylum tour was my first KISS show. I remember the setlist was short and weak. They played Won't Get Fooled Again, and I'm thinking, give me another KISS song instead.
Anyway, reposting some pics from page 5 of this thread for those that may not have seen them.

Asylum Tour
December 22, 1985
Providence Civic Center