Author Topic: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan  (Read 62421 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan
« Reply #700 on: June 30, 2016, 11:02:55 AM »
This is actually somewhat fascinating.  Do we know of any video of this kinda thing happening?

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #701 on: July 01, 2016, 07:12:27 AM »
This is actually somewhat fascinating.  Do we know of any video of this kinda thing happening?
There is video of the Landover show.  I have a copy of the entire show.  I found the "Beth" clip on YT.  Look for KISS Beth Largo, MD 1979.  Totally unprofessional!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #702 on: July 01, 2016, 07:46:04 AM »
You know, you could just post the link instead of making it difficult.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #704 on: July 01, 2016, 09:09:04 AM »
Holy mackerel.   Forget about the words; did he pick the key at random out of a hat?    That's an embarrassment.   I see that, and I have no problems whatsoever with Eric and Tommy.   I don't blame Gene and Paul for not entrusting their baby to this clown.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #705 on: July 01, 2016, 02:17:10 PM »
I don't for a minute believe he deliberately fucked it up, he's just a shit singer (though strangely he has a good studio tone) and he's off his tits.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #706 on: July 02, 2016, 11:03:19 PM »
I haven't been contributing as much but this has been one of the most enjoyable threads on here for me since the Yes discography. Lots of things I didn't know about this band. My knowledge of their history mostly comes from the music itself and the Kissology box sets (which are, without a doubt, the best anthology set by any band I'm a fan of). So y'all have made me more interested and today I picked up the Nothing To Lose book, really looking forward to going through it as well as eventually checking out all 4 autobiographies (probably in the order they were written).

Surprised at how unanimous this forum is when it comes to Ace/Peter and the current lineup. Personally I like Ace and Peter and enjoyed their songs in the band as well as some of Ace's solo stuff. I think Ace still has a lot to offer, especially now that he's sober. Thought Anomaly was just as good as Sonic Boom, if not better. I'm not interested in the current Kiss, but that isn't because of Tommy and Eric. I just don't find the last two albums that interesting and the live shows seem to have declined in the last few years. I saw that lineup on one of their first tours (maybe the first) and it was awesome. Sonic Boom was one of my most anticipated albums at the time and I got it on release day. I still think it's a good album, especially Paul's songs, just not on the level of the 70s stuff it was trying to emulate. I'm definitely not one of those fans who are completely against current Kiss, what they do now just doesn't do anything for me.

That Peter clip is awful though, can't deny that.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #707 on: July 04, 2016, 01:30:20 AM »
I don't for a minute believe he deliberately fucked it up, he's just a shit singer (though strangely he has a good studio tone) and he's off his tits.
I'm note sure about that particular performance but he admits in his book that he deliberately fucked up on that tour, both on drums and on vocals.
And about his studio vocal performances, many of the producers he's worked with says that while he has a really good voice, he has big problems controlling it, which makes it hard to get a good studio performance out of him.

So...in my mind, he's one lucky cat to have ever been in a famous band, and Kiss is probably the only famous band that would let him get away with being so shit. :lol Can you imagine Peter Criss playing for any other band?
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #708 on: July 05, 2016, 07:52:48 AM »
The Freedom To Rock Tour opened last night in Tuscon, Arizona.  Setlist...
Detroit Rock City
Deuce
Shout It Out Loud
Creatures of the Night
War Machine
Psycho Circus
Calling Dr. Love
Shock Me
Cold Gin
Lick It Up
Bass Solo
(Gene Simmons spits blood)
I Love It Loud
100,000 Years
Love Gun
Black Diamond
Encores:
Beth
Rock and Roll All Nite

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #709 on: July 05, 2016, 08:09:11 AM »
Can you imagine Peter Criss playing for any other band?
Nickelback?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #710 on: July 05, 2016, 08:19:10 AM »
The Freedom To Rock Tour opened last night in Tuscon, Arizona.  Setlist...
Detroit Rock City
Deuce
Shout It Out Loud
Creatures of the Night
War Machine
Psycho Circus
Calling Dr. Love
Shock Me
Cold Gin
Lick It Up
Bass Solo
(Gene Simmons spits blood)
I Love It Loud
100,000 Years
Love Gun
Black Diamond
Encores:
Beth
Rock and Roll All Nite

I was actually thinking of seeing them in Worcester, but not for the $$ that they are priced at. That setlist..it's OK but not enough to get me out of my KISS concert retirement. It's all been heard and seen multiple times.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: July 06, 2016, 04:33:12 PM »
I'd go see that; not that different than the Kiss/Def Leppard shed tour.  War Machine wasn't as good life as I thought it would be, and Psycho Circus was tough for Paul to sing.  Hopefully this tour will be different.  If I can StubHub good seats, I'll take my daughter again (she's fifteen and loves the spectacle if not all the music).

Offline Mosh

« Reply #712 on: July 06, 2016, 07:10:54 PM »
Meh, once was enough for me.

One thing that caught my eye was that they're doing Beth without Peter Criss. I always assumed they wouldn't touch that one, turns out its been in the setlist for a few years now. Actually a pretty neat version, with the band doing an unplugged thing. I always thought Peter Criss + the backing track was kind of lame.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #713 on: July 07, 2016, 06:53:59 AM »
I suppose if I wasn't married with kids that I could cough up the $100, but it just doesn't seem worth it. I completely swore off of KISS shows after the "Farewell" tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #714 on: July 07, 2016, 06:59:28 AM »
I suppose if I wasn't married with kids that I could cough up the $100, but it just doesn't seem worth it. I completely swore off of KISS shows after the "Farewell" tour.
The Farewell tour was it for me, too.  I'd love for my daughter to see a show before Paul and Gene are no longer in the band (my daughter's 9-years old).  But, their setlist has been pretty stagnant for a long time.  I'm as tired of some of those songs as those songs are tired.

War Machine wasn't as good life as I thought it would be.
If War Machine and I Love It Loud disappeared from the setlist forever, I wouldn't be disappointed at all.  I understand Gene needs some songs, too.  But, there are plenty of other songs to choose from.  Those two songs have been in the setlist for 30+ years.  And, they show it, too.  Very tired.

I must be tired.  I haven't used that word so much... ever.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #715 on: July 07, 2016, 07:04:17 AM »
I like War Machine well enough but iirc they play it too fast and it loses its impact. Can't stand ILIL.
Same tired old setlist. They could rotate some other songs in, surely. Would it really hurt?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #716 on: July 07, 2016, 07:08:38 AM »
We saw the Reunion, the Psycho Circus, and then the farewell tour and I came out of that show feeling completely ripped off. Having felt like I sat through the exact same show three times in a row, I told my wife that we are NOT going to see KISS again unless they offered something dramatically new.

I know they've played a bunch of different tunes over the past decade plus, but I've really only come to grips with actually accepting the "Tommy" version of the band, thanks in large part to this thread. It rekindled my interest, so much so that I actually went to Ticketmaster to check out tix for this tour.

They've been playing The Oath on the KISS Kruise now for a couple of years. If they also incorporated an acoustic set to their main show. I get RnR All Night, but I don't ever need to see Gold Gin, Duece, or Beth again.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #717 on: July 08, 2016, 12:41:19 AM »
It surprises me that they still use the same old tired set list. Paul wrote in his book that the reason that the Reunion tour, the Psycho Circus tour and the Farewell tour hade more or less the same set lists was because of Peter's and Ace's inability to learn new songs. Well...they now got two guys who can play basically ANY material you throw at them and they still play the same songs? Seems kind of odd. Especially since they have brought out a few surprises with the current lineup before, when I saw them on the Sonic Boom tour, they played Crazy Nights and God Gave Rock N Roll To You for example.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #718 on: July 08, 2016, 07:06:57 AM »
Last night's setlist from Boise, ID (it's getting better)...

Detroit Rock City
Deuce
Shout It Out Loud
Creatures of the Night
War Machine (Gene spits fire)
Flaming Youth
Psycho Circus
Calling Dr. Love
Shock Me (Guitar solo)
Strutter
Cold Gin
Lick It Up
Bass Solo (Gene spits blood and flies)
I Love It Loud
100,000 Years
Love Gun (Paul flies out to the crowd)
Black Diamond
Encore:
Beth
The Star-Spangled Banner (John Stafford Smith cover)
Rock and Roll All Nite

Offline Mladen

« Reply #719 on: July 08, 2016, 07:26:46 AM »
It's getting longer. I thought the first set list was rather short, 16 songs, most under four minutes in length? I'd still watch it if I had the opportunity, though.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #720 on: July 08, 2016, 08:13:05 AM »
I've seen the band 30+ times since 1990, and after seeing the opening night's setlist, I was convinced I was skipping this tour. 

Seeing Flaming Youth would be a first for me and I've always loved Strutter so I may reconsider.  Who am I kidding?  I'll go to State College or Allentown.  Some things about the setlist still bug me like Shock Me and Beth.  Tommy and Eric have their own songs...so do them.  Lick It Up and I Love It Loud have been done to death and neither was a huge hit to begin with...like a casual fan would know the difference if they sprinkled in I Stole Your Love and Ladies Room.

Truthfully though, I don't get that same excitement and haven't since the Alive 35 Tour in 2009 (I drove over 1,000 miles to see them over two nights at Cobo Hall in Detroit).  I don't know if it's Paul's vocal issues or the tuning down to D but the spark is missing in the songs...some sound plodding and lifeless.  It just seems like they're going through the motions yet the acoustic shows look like a blast (I'm not willing to spend the $$$ for that...Gene and Paul inc have more than enough of my money in the form of dolls, books,  playsets, games, puzzles, belt buckles, lunchboxes and that's not even counting the over 300 magazines and vinyl collection and 500+ cd's and dvd's).   

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #721 on: July 08, 2016, 08:38:06 AM »
Wow, Flaming Youth? That's a more inspired choice.  :tup Even if it is kind of funny for 60 year old guys to sing that, but I guess that can be said for most of their material. :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #722 on: July 08, 2016, 08:41:29 AM »
Hell yeah.  Flaming Youth is a pick I can get behind.  Nice.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #723 on: July 30, 2016, 10:11:58 AM »
Sorry for the bump, but I was reading about Carnival of Souls on Bruce Kulick's website and found that this was supposed to be the artwork for the album:

Anyway, I saw that the artwork was done by an artist named Amy Guip. The artist name sounded familiar to me and after some thought I realized she's the artist who did When Dream and Day Unite by Dream Theater (https://www.allmusic.com/artist/amy-guip-mn0001738762). A DT/Kiss connection. Pretty cool!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #724 on: July 30, 2016, 10:15:08 AM »
I think Sherinian was already a big enough DT/Kiss connection. :biggrin:

I recall it showed that album cover on one of the old KISS tapes from the early '90s, where they said it was going to be the next album cover, but then of course it wasn't.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #725 on: July 30, 2016, 10:19:25 AM »
Oh yea, I always forget Sherinian did stuff with them.

It would've been a weird cover. But then again that whole album is weird, so it fits.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #726 on: July 30, 2016, 10:37:31 AM »
Sorry for the bump, but I was reading about Carnival of Souls on Bruce Kulick's website and found that this was supposed to be the artwork for the album:

Anyway, I saw that the artwork was done by an artist named Amy Guip. The artist name sounded familiar to me and after some thought I realized she's the artist who did When Dream and Day Unite by Dream Theater (https://www.allmusic.com/artist/amy-guip-mn0001738762). A DT/Kiss connection. Pretty cool!
Don't apologize. That's a great find, and one that I certainly wasn't aware of. Great catch!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #727 on: July 31, 2016, 06:36:44 PM »
However, I DO apologize for this bump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhniHwlajAU

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #728 on: July 31, 2016, 06:46:52 PM »
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #729 on: August 01, 2016, 03:23:11 AM »
And yet another weird bump:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: August 01, 2016, 07:37:34 AM »
That's an unusual picture.  I don't mean this as a joke (though I think it speaks to the calculation and commercial savvy of Kiss, even from the beginning) but 43 years of being a national/international act, between Gene and Paul they have about five standard, stock facial expressions, and that's not one of them. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #731 on: August 01, 2016, 07:39:45 AM »
I actually thought the faces were photoshopped in some fashion.  The faces look very odd.  Also, Eric's right arm looks very long and Paul's arms look a little weird.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: August 01, 2016, 07:44:06 AM »
   :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #733 on: August 01, 2016, 10:22:29 AM »
It looks like the photographer was specifically going for some "different" poses with the guys.  That would explain why Gene and Paul aren't doing their stock faces, and also the above shot (presumably an out-take).

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #734 on: February 15, 2017, 06:51:11 AM »
Figured this would be an appropriate place to post this.  Video from last year's Kiss Kruise of the band doing Mainline and All the Way.  Very cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjmmzkE6SUk