Author Topic: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan  (Read 62423 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan
« Reply #805 on: February 22, 2017, 06:10:05 AM »
King Of the Mountain is classic Kiss. 

It's a GREAT track. :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #806 on: February 22, 2017, 06:21:42 AM »
I actually really dig Unmasked. Not as good as Dynasty, but I would probably take it over The Elder and a couple of the non-makeup 80s albums. Some really underrated tunes on there, such as Naked City and Tomorrow. I actually enjoy the whole first side. The second side starts to trail off but even then it's mostly OK imo.

I know I'm repeating (because it's all there for people to see) but I LOVE Unmasked.  It's one of my favorite Kiss albums, and but for the biggest stinker in the Kiss catalogue (well, top five, with Dirty Livin', Hooligan, and a couple others)I actually like most every song.

I don't know; it's much maligned, but the "Dynasty through Lick It Up" run is one I go back to a surprising amount, given the chaos of the time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #807 on: February 22, 2017, 06:32:17 AM »
I don't know; it's much maligned, but the "Dynasty through Lick It Up" run is one I go back to a surprising amount, given the chaos of the time.

It's similar to Alice Cooper's run of Flush The Fashion-Special Forces-Zipper Catches Skin-Da Da. Some great tracks on those albums.

I remember when I presented my CD label of Zipper to him to sign, Alice was shocked that someone would even have the CD and he said he did not remember making it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #808 on: February 22, 2017, 06:35:00 AM »
I absolutely love Dynasty (sorry Coz), but Unmasked is the drizzling shits.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: February 22, 2017, 06:37:50 AM »
Shandy and Naked city are great songs

And that would be the "one song" I mentioned before.  Kiss got accused of being "disco" with IWMFLY, but for me, the cheesiest disco touch in their entire catalogue is that little guitar lick right after the "Tonight must last us forever..." line.   Ugh.   That and Paul's lower "Hold Me Touch Me (Make Me Gag Into My Soup)" voice ruins it for me.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: February 22, 2017, 06:41:30 AM »

I think at the time I was burnt out on KISS and for me that album was paint by numbers at the time for KISS.  The tour added to it as well.

Which is ironic, since that's what the cover looks like to me.  Paint by numbers (though I like the album itself).

I remember when I presented my CD label of Zipper to him to sign, Alice was shocked that someone would even have the CD and he said he did not remember making it.

I love those stories; I had a similar experience when I met Gene, and I had the inserts from Alive! and Alive II with me.  Paul was busy with the two hot blondes in front of me and (I guess out of character) Gene was standing there and we started talking and he went through the pictures with me.  Amazing experience (that was when I  first learned the Alive! cover was staged). 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #811 on: February 22, 2017, 06:45:36 AM »

Disowned.

Seriously though, I do have Sure Know Something on my iPod.  And I forgot about Tomorrow, from Unmasked.  Half decent.  But overall, both albums get two thumbs down.  Hell, I'd take Hot in the Shade over either of them and that's an abortion of an album also.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #812 on: February 22, 2017, 07:05:58 AM »
Yeah, the fanboy in me liked it at the time, but Unmasked is indeed the shits.

Dynasty is half decent, But very uneven. Also it's probably has that 'tainted' schisma because of 'I was made...' and the whole KISS goes commercial backlash. Kiss have never been anything BUT commercial, but that's for another time...
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you΄re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #813 on: February 22, 2017, 07:21:34 AM »
And that would be the "one song" I mentioned before.  Kiss got accused of being "disco" with IWMFLY, but for me, the cheesiest disco touch in their entire catalogue is that little guitar lick right after the "Tonight must last us forever..." line.   Ugh.   That and Paul's lower "Hold Me Touch Me (Make Me Gag Into My Soup)" voice ruins it for me.
While I don't agree with any of this, this made me laugh really hard. :rollin
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #814 on: February 22, 2017, 10:24:40 AM »
The Asylum tour was my first KISS show. I remember the setlist was short and weak. They played Won't Get Fooled Again, and I'm thinking, give me another KISS song instead.

Asylum Tour
December 22, 1985
Providence Civic Center

My first KISS show was a week earlier at Madison Square Garden.  With Tommy Thayer opening w/ Black and Blue.  Looking back on it, the set definitely was "short and weak".  However, at the time, I was so thrilled to see them, that thought never entered my mind.  Your seats were way better than mine.

And, that album art is hideous.  I can only hope Gene and Paul must've been unavailable when it was time to proof the cover.  Otherwise, I don't know what they were thinking.  Talk about mailing it in!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #815 on: February 22, 2017, 10:58:48 AM »
Yes Black n Blue opened.

We had good seats by the side of the stage, where I took the Gene/fire pic. There was an open area near the stage that remained open until the encore when they basically waved people on. We got right down front in quick order.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #816 on: February 22, 2017, 12:09:46 PM »

Disowned.

Seriously though, I do have Sure Know Something on my iPod.  And I forgot about Tomorrow, from Unmasked.  Half decent.  But overall, both albums get two thumbs down.  Hell, I'd take Hot in the Shade over either of them and that's an abortion of an album also.

Oh god no. HitS is the worst KISS album. I'd take Peter's solo album over it  :omg:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: February 22, 2017, 02:37:44 PM »

Disowned.

Oh god no. HitS is the worst KISS album. I'd take Peter's solo album over it  :omg:

Hahaha, that's funny.  :) 

Even PETER says his solo album is the worst Kiss album.  :)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #818 on: February 22, 2017, 03:29:04 PM »
Put me in the Peter solo album over HITS camp. At least Peter's album is short. HITS feels like a never ending gauntlet of misery.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #819 on: February 22, 2017, 05:09:31 PM »
Wow. Unmasked, Dynasty, AND Peter's solo album over HitS. It's like bizarro Kiss World.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #820 on: February 22, 2017, 07:07:10 PM »
Only album worse than HITS is Carnival of Souls
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #821 on: February 22, 2017, 07:36:05 PM »
I may think HITS is that bad but no album hits the level of bad as the Peter Criss solo album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: February 23, 2017, 06:17:14 AM »
HITS isn't Hotter than Hell or Destroyer, I'll give you that, but I'll at least listen to it now and again.  I like Hide Your Heart, Rise To It, and a couple others.   There is literally not one song on Peter Criss or CoS that I feel like I have to hear again.   MAYBE "Childhood's End". 

Offline Mosh

« Reply #823 on: February 23, 2017, 10:08:38 AM »
When I need my fix of HITS song, I watch the Detroit show from that tour. It has pretty much all the HITS songs that matter. Also one of the greatest Kiss videos ever recorded.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #824 on: February 23, 2017, 12:21:55 PM »
HITS isn't Hotter than Hell or Destroyer, I'll give you that, but I'll at least listen to it now and again.  I like Hide Your Heart, Rise To It, and a couple others.   There is literally not one song on Peter Criss or CoS that I feel like I have to hear again.   MAYBE "Childhood's End".

There are some good songs on it but too many poor ones. This is the album Gene really phoned it in. I don't mind most of his 80s output but even Paul hot in on the act. read My Body is his worst song by far.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #825 on: February 23, 2017, 02:26:18 PM »
Funny, I really like CoS.  "Master and Slave" is an awesome song.  I feel it has some of Gene's strongest song writing in the entire non-makeup era.  I would've loved if Toby Wright had gotten the opportunity to finish the album properly.  Granted, it's not a traditional KISS album (i.e. - no cock rock).  But, I consider it to be a solid mature (grungy) rock album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: February 23, 2017, 04:27:03 PM »
You and I are the only ones around here that like it. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #827 on: February 23, 2017, 04:39:22 PM »
You and I are the only ones around here that like it.

It does not exist in my KISS universe. Even though I own it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: February 23, 2017, 05:07:30 PM »
That's for most. It does not compare to the classics and Revenge but I do like it.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #829 on: February 23, 2017, 06:09:26 PM »
There is a small but passionate group of fans for the CoS stuff. Same with Elder. I've never seen the same level of fandom for other bands' black sheep albums. Personally I think CoS was a huge misstep with hardly any redeemable moments. Elder is ok.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: February 23, 2017, 06:38:49 PM »
I didn't see it as a misstep at all.  It was a progression.   Somwtines bands try something different.   Sometimes it works (Destroyer), and sometimes it doesnt (The Elder). 

It doesn't mean they can't put out good music after.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #831 on: February 23, 2017, 08:18:19 PM »
COS is proof that KISS is better left in Paul's hands.

I love Childhood's End. But I also like Master & Slave and I Will Be There.
I Confess is quite interesting.
And I like I Walk Alone.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: February 23, 2017, 08:21:05 PM »
I think in Paul's hands with Gene engaged.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #833 on: February 23, 2017, 08:24:08 PM »
I think in Paul's hands with Gene engaged.

That's when you get Revenge. When Paul steps aside and lets Gene call the shots, you get COS.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: February 23, 2017, 08:25:35 PM »
Well Revenge is a top 3 KISS album for me so you won't get any argument from me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #835 on: February 23, 2017, 08:26:16 PM »
Well Revenge is a top 3 KISS album for me

Same here, Brother! :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: February 23, 2017, 08:29:59 PM »
When strippers run in high heels to you because you're singing "I Just Wanna" to them while they are dancing to it, it better be up there as a top album.

Coz, eat your heart out.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #837 on: February 23, 2017, 11:00:19 PM »
I didn't see it as a misstep at all.  It was a progression.   Somwtines bands try something different.   Sometimes it works (Destroyer), and sometimes it doesnt (The Elder). 
I don't mind them trying something different but, like you said, if it doesn't work it doesn't work. I thought CoS was a misstep in the sense that they tried to go all out on the dark/heavy side of Revenge, but completely missed what made that album so great. The hooks, melodies, energy.

Revenge is my favorite Kiss album BTW.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #838 on: February 24, 2017, 06:32:42 AM »
When strippers run in high heels to you because you're singing "I Just Wanna" to them while they are dancing to it, it better be up there as a top album.

Coz, eat your heart out.

Take it Off was one of the songs we used to play when my band hosted wet t-shirt contests at a bar we always played, so I'm with you on that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: February 24, 2017, 06:53:56 AM »
Happened to me 3 times.  I was jacked that the strippers loved KISS.  They were singing the lyrics while the legs were east and west.

I was pleased.