Author Topic: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*  (Read 60124 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*
« Reply #455 on: January 07, 2016, 11:34:43 AM »
 :blush :blush

I'm really embarrassed now. i saw a link to a website on twitter  : " Why Force Awakens is actually dreadful ".

I didn't realise it was dreadful.  :blush :blush I enjoyed it both times I saw it. Damn I feel so stupid.

But For SRS : This will be the site trolls link to in order to "prove" the film "SUCKS LOL"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #456 on: January 07, 2016, 11:37:14 AM »
Also I thought for about half the movie that Kylo Ren was going to be Luke.

I actually suspected this too for while. Glad it wasn't so.

But For SRS : This will be the site trolls link to in order to "prove" the film "SUCKS LOL"

Videos like that are flooding youtube at the moment. It frustrates me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: January 07, 2016, 11:49:21 AM »
::) when something is popular - people are falling over each other to "prove" it's shit.

And I never for one second thought Kylo Ren was Luke. That was just stupid imo. Adam Driver is well over 6ft and skinny and Mark Hamill is pretty stocky and short.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #458 on: January 07, 2016, 12:00:31 PM »
And I never for one second thought Kylo Ren was Luke. That was just stupid imo. Adam Driver is well over 6ft and skinny and Mark Hamill is pretty stocky and short.

Even the Jedi have heard of Stiletto's and corsets...
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: January 07, 2016, 12:02:53 PM »
I remember when the initial teaser came out over a year ago...

" Really bad CGI on Kylo Ren's invisible middle section..."

" Um yeah that's a belt. "

:lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #460 on: January 07, 2016, 12:51:49 PM »
Yeah that was really funny.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #461 on: January 07, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »
I remember when the initial teaser came out over a year ago...

" Really bad CGI on Kylo Ren's invisible middle section..."

" Um yeah that's a belt. "

:lol

Oh my god. That happened.   :rollin

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #462 on: January 07, 2016, 02:52:52 PM »
Wow I forgot about that.  :lol That was pretty great.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #463 on: January 07, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »

I have no clue who Adam Driver is, and I was watching a movie, not measuring people with a measuring stick.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #464 on: January 07, 2016, 04:04:21 PM »
Even storywise though? As soon as Kylo Ren is introduced his main motivation is that he wants the map to Luke Skywalker and he even kills some people at the start because he wants it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: January 07, 2016, 04:05:55 PM »
Even storywise though? As soon as Kylo Ren is introduced his main motivation is that he wants the map to Luke Skywalker and he even kills some people at the start because he wants it.

And calls Vader his Grandfather.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #466 on: January 07, 2016, 04:41:01 PM »
To be fair, he was just talking to a roasted mask.  Maybe he got confused.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #467 on: January 07, 2016, 04:51:47 PM »
I have to admit something: I was perplexed for about five minutes when Kylo called Vader grandfather. I was all, 'whoa, how!?'  :lol Forgot alllll about poor Leia...

RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #468 on: January 07, 2016, 05:38:02 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Vader-mask scene shortly after Snoke tells Kylo Ren about Han Solo being his dad?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #469 on: January 07, 2016, 05:40:14 PM »
YOU'RE WRONG!

...I have no idea. I think you're right actually, at least around that same time. I just remember it was when he was questioning himself so it'd make sense. Perhaps someone who has seen it four times can answer.  :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #470 on: January 07, 2016, 07:13:47 PM »
In regard to Rey's heritage, I was reading speculation that:

possible spoiler if it turns out to be true:

Felicity Jone's character in Rogue One is Rey's mother. This whole next movie is going to establish this character and then tie it together in Episode VIII. I would be cool with that. Taking a real close look at the promotional image for rogue one, I can see it when looking at her character, but who knows.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:43:22 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #471 on: January 07, 2016, 08:01:18 PM »
:blush :blush

I'm really embarrassed now. i saw a link to a website on twitter  : " Why Force Awakens is actually dreadful ".

I saw the link around somewhere, but didn't click it. Clickbait bullshit like that doesn't deserve traffic.
I have no problem with people disliking the movie, because it did have plenty of faults, but I hate crap like that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #472 on: January 07, 2016, 08:29:53 PM »
Anyone that purports their opinion as fact is a douchebag. Anyone that makes those damn adds are cunts. Royal. Fucking. Cunts. (all of them, by the way...especially those, but right under those are the "Your computer needs to update *such and such*" ... there is no way that works on anyone under the age of 40-ish, and if it does....yeeeeeesh)

RIP DTP.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: January 07, 2016, 09:20:34 PM »
Me during Han scene:

"Oh, he's going to kill Han, I know it. I see this coming. Yep, there he goes. Well, that was predictable. Now he's falling and it's like Aeris and Gandalf at the same time. This movie is so duBAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! :'("

Also I thought for about half the movie that Kylo Ren was going to be Luke.

Great movie.

Yeah, could see it coming a gazillion miles away...but... it still made me jump. 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #474 on: January 08, 2016, 12:59:55 AM »
Be patient with me because I'm doing this from memory, but didn't one of the original trailers for the movie have a voice over of Luke talking to someone about the force being strong in his family? Was this something that was cut from the movie? Or was it only intended to be used as some kind of teaser? I don't understand the reasoning if that's the case. And if my memory isn't being faulty, who would you speculate that he was talking to?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: January 08, 2016, 01:11:37 AM »
That VO was dialogue from ROTJ I think ? He was saying it to Leia if I remember rightly...

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #476 on: January 08, 2016, 02:09:00 AM »
That VO was dialogue from ROTJ I think ? He was saying it to Leia if I remember rightly...

I remember the original scene, but this seemed a little different. Like I said, I sometimes have a faulty memory and I might be creating something out of nothing...  :-\
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #477 on: January 08, 2016, 02:13:21 AM »
I think he rerecorded the lines, but I'm pretty sure it was just for the teaser.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: January 08, 2016, 05:29:02 AM »
This was his narration in the teaser (which, incidentally, are really cool to watch now that I've watched the movie).

The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power, too.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #479 on: January 08, 2016, 07:27:26 AM »
I was completely expecting Luke to say that to Rey after they met, went inside, cracked open a few beers, and got to talking.  Or something like that.  Instead, the way it was building up, I was already guessing that they were just going to end it with her finding Luke, standing there on his island contemplating life or maybe his next independent musical project, and that's what they did.  I liked how they ended it, but that did mean that the spoken line was never actually in the movie.  The true definition of tease.  A glimpse of something you'll never get.

Also, upon reflection, the line itself doesn't mean that she's his daughter, niece, or whatever.  He's just saying she also has The Force.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #480 on: January 08, 2016, 07:33:12 AM »

Felicity Jone's character in Rogue One is Rey's mother. This whole next movie is going to establish this character and then tie it together in Episode VIII. I would be cool with that. Taking a real close look at the promotional image for rogue one, I can see it when looking at her character, but who knows.

That would be really cool and great way to tie the new film in the universe.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: January 08, 2016, 07:39:30 AM »

That would be really cool and great way to tie the new film in the universe.

How though? Rouge 1 is supposed to be about the crew that stole the plans to the Death Start......30+ years ago. They supposedly all lost their lives in doing so (based off of a line of dialogue I can't recall now...something of how they died getting them the plans) plus, Rey is 19-20....that'd put Felicity having to have escaped and then somehow meeting one of the main characters (Luke, Han, Obi Wan) and getting knocked up (Rey HAS to be one of those three's kids...being a random Force user doesn't sit well with me....must be tied together somehow) then having Rey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #482 on: January 08, 2016, 07:43:05 AM »
This was his narration in the teaser (which, incidentally, are really cool to watch now that I've watched the movie).

The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power, too.
Exactly. That final bit was not in ROTJ (when he was speaking to Leia), that was new for the teaser. So regardless of whether it was ever intended to be in the film, it's a strong indication that Rey (or theoretically someone else) is a Skywalker of some kind. Otherwise why include the bit about the force being strong in his family?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: January 08, 2016, 07:56:38 AM »

Exactly. That final bit was not in ROTJ (when he was speaking to Leia), that was new for the teaser. So regardless of whether it was ever intended to be in the film, it's a strong indication that Rey (or theoretically someone else) is a Skywalker of some kind. Otherwise why include the bit about the force being strong in his family?

To create debate as part of a marketing campaign for a movie so people watch it?
It's intentionally ambiguous. It can be read as implying that she has that power due to being part of that family, or it could be read as Luke explaining that he's very familiar with the force and recognizes that power in Rey and will train her.
Rey's backstory was never meant to be revealed in TFA, so it makes no sense that they'd have recorded a voiceover for a trailer that gives it away (and from what I've read, it was recorded specifically just for the trailer, and not deleted dialogue from a scene in the film).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #484 on: January 08, 2016, 07:57:30 AM »
Actually that last part WAS spoken to Leia in Jedi. It's spoken about a minute later in the same conversation after Leia protests that Luke has a power she could never have or understand. Luke responds with that line in reply.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #485 on: January 08, 2016, 08:33:44 AM »
Actually that last part WAS spoken to Leia in Jedi. It's spoken about a minute later in the same conversation after Leia protests that Luke has a power she could never have or understand. Luke responds with that line in reply.
Exactly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #486 on: January 08, 2016, 09:00:37 AM »
Ah, good catch.

Even so, the implication is clearly there.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: January 08, 2016, 09:10:10 AM »
Ah, good catch.

The implication is definitely there, it's a matter of whether she's Luke's daughter, Leia's daughter, or possibly it's a red herring. I think most votes are still on her being Luke's kid, but neither Skywalker option would be surprising to anyone.

Unless it's both. :neverusethis:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: January 08, 2016, 09:23:38 AM »
Ah, good catch.

The implication is definitely there, it's a matter of whether she's Luke's daughter, Leia's daughter, or possibly it's a red herring. I think most votes are still on her being Luke's kid, but neither Skywalker option would be surprising to anyone.

I'm sticking with it's Leia and Han's daughter, Ren's sister. It'd be consistent with the 'familiarity and theme' of the past story....keep the Skywalker bloodline as a major focus...and could be 'easily' explained as to why Han honestly didn't know who she was but felt that comfort and closeness and why Leia had that look of 'I know exactly who you are' when she first saw her at the end.

Han and Leia split up.....Leia was preggo but either didn't know or didn't tell him. Ren turned dark or was already dark but didn't know about Rey (his sister) so Leia hides him. Pretty 'easy' story to tell that remains 'familiar' yet it's not hard to believe.

It wouldn't be hard to believe Luke knocked someone up but that seems to me to be a much more difficult story to tell than the one I just described.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: January 08, 2016, 09:34:34 AM »
You could make a plausible case for either one, given how many blanks were left for the time between ROTJ and TFA.