Author Topic: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*  (Read 59489 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*
« Reply #315 on: December 31, 2015, 05:44:54 AM »
Even though I never agreed with the Jedi not being able to love thing, regardless, we never saw Yoda or Obi Wan pulling Luke aside during his training to be like "oh, by the way, don't ever fall in love or have a family or anything"

They may have done it at some point off screen, but that was probably the last thing on their mind at the time.

So it could simply be that Luke didn't even know he wasn't supposed to.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #316 on: December 31, 2015, 06:16:24 AM »
The force isn't as strong as punani.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: December 31, 2015, 06:26:23 AM »
Hey, King, thanks for teaching me a new word.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #318 on: December 31, 2015, 06:30:42 AM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: December 31, 2015, 06:32:23 AM »
You're welcome young padawan.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #320 on: December 31, 2015, 06:51:55 AM »
The power of the poon is a path to the dark side of the force.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: December 31, 2015, 06:55:26 AM »
The power of the poon is a path to the dark side of the force.

So Jedi happen by osmosis? :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #322 on: December 31, 2015, 08:01:42 AM »
I always thought the whole "no feelings" aspect of the Jedi was such BS. I get why feelings like anger or hate would lead to the dark side, but compassion or love? If anything the idea of suppressing your feelings feels more like something I would connect to the dark side.

But overall the Jedi is dead. We're far from the days of when Anakin was a young Jedi and the galaxy was filled with them, with Luke being all alone, even if tradition is important, I think the Jedi ways may have to change and adapt to survive.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #323 on: December 31, 2015, 08:10:36 AM »
Well, compassion and love wasn't really forbidden per se, just attachment. The way I understood it is that they are very much allowed to feel stuff, but to not let their personal feelings get in the way of the bigger picture. Which then by nature excludes marriage and kids. Not something I'm really a fan of, but that's how I understand it. If the sequel trilogy ditches the whole concept I'd be fine with it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #324 on: December 31, 2015, 09:19:26 AM »
Finally saw this Tuesday night. An amazing movie, especially in iMax. Loved a lot of things about it, especially some of the new characters.

That said, I have one *major* gripe. Way too many parallels to the original trilogy.

Another death star, but this time it's bigger? Really? They even acknowledge this in the film. I think if a parody show wanted to make a prediction trailer for the new film that's the premise they would have gone with. Kylo Ren was also far too similar to Darth Vader in his battle with the force and relationship with his family.

I really hope the next two movies don't rely on rehashing as much.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #325 on: December 31, 2015, 10:59:18 AM »
And then for apparently no reason the entire planet disintegrated and then exploded.

um, it was holding the power of an entire sun  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #326 on: December 31, 2015, 11:15:44 AM »
And then for apparently no reason the entire planet disintegrated and then exploded.

um, it was holding the power of an entire sun  :lol

Oh, related to my other major gripe. Star Wars has never tried to explain much, so I generally approach things in that universe with a "it is because it is" approach. That said, that energy cannon... my lord. You have an energy stream that holds the power of a sun, and then somehow it magically splits into 5 beams and changes course to hit 5 different planets? What? It just defies ALL logic and reason, and really annoyed me. Would have been much happier had they fired a beam, turned the planet (yeah, I know, not much better), fired another, etc. And then the one scene where they show two planets practically side by side blowing up... that's not how space works, large planets are not that close. ANYWAY, it was still really good.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: December 31, 2015, 11:16:47 AM »
Nick to quote a band you love, "We suspend our disbelief:.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #328 on: December 31, 2015, 11:28:18 AM »
Yeah, the beam that split into five and took out five separate targets with no guidance system whatsoever was pretty bad.  It looked cool, in a way, but made no sense at all.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #329 on: December 31, 2015, 11:34:42 AM »
I really love nit-picky stuff like this. I don't mean that sarcastically or in like a looking-down-my-nose kind of way because I absolutely do it to sometimes; it's just awesome.

When you start, you either have to accept that you're being ridiculous or you need to go over every single bit of info that's as equally ridiculous and with a series like this, it doesn't end; you'll just keep finding shit that doesn't make sense because god damn it, none of it does.

I get it though.

For instance, EVERY SINGLE TIME Kylo Ren dropped his helmet, in my head I thought "HOW MUCH DOES THAT MOTHERFUCKING HELMET WEIGH!?!? JEEEEEEEEEEEEZUS!"

...I mean really, how much? It sounds like a hunk of fucking adamantium every time it hit the floor. Like...you motherfuckers have sabers of light (that can apparently be blocked by simple electricity? Given how that Storm Trooper blocked Finn's saber with his supercoolwow flippy-gun (that is the official name)...another nit-pick) and hyperdrive, you can't develop an armor that doesn't weigh as much as the Millenium Falcon!?

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #330 on: December 31, 2015, 11:53:34 AM »
It sounds like a hunk of fucking adamantium every time it hit the floor.

Wrong "universe"   :lol

I totally agree with Tio.  There's an all magical "force" that gives a select few telepathy, telekinesis, precognition, hypnosis, gives them super human strength, and THIS is where you start the line of "that wasn't believable"?   :biggrin:

For starters, it may have been 5 streams all along, but were so close as they traveled across space, they appeared to be one until closer to the targets.  Alternatively, it could be a similar to a firework - on burst leaves, then turns into multiple bursts.

C'mon... we have to suspend the belief of our understanding of physics and reality in the Star Wars Universe.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline T-ski

« Reply #331 on: December 31, 2015, 11:56:12 AM »
has anyone discussed this possibility about Rey from ESB?

Rey's age obviously is in question here, but her lineage may be known to Yoda.

Or maybe it just is about Leia.  :P

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 12:35:37 PM by T-ski »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #332 on: December 31, 2015, 12:07:34 PM »
Interesting theory, but the age and timeline is all wonky.  "There is another" at the time was the amazing reveal that Leia is Luke's sister, and therefore has the same potential to use The Force.  I agree that it's kinda fun to think that Yoda was hinting at someone else, or even another family line of Jedi somewhere, and also the prequels royally fucked this up because Obi-Wan knew all about both kids, but nah.  Just a fun theory; no way it'll pan out.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #333 on: December 31, 2015, 12:27:49 PM »
I'm beginning to think more and more that Rey is Han and Leia's kid. I read an article that put Ren at 29 in the movie, Rey at 19. I don't think Han knew she was his daughter but I think Leia did. Han and Leia split up....Leia was either pregnant and didn't know or didn't tell Han. Either way, He's gone.....Ren goes nuts and joins the darkside so Leia 'hides' Rey.

The way Leia looked at Rey at the end she absolutely 'knew' who she was. That, along with the immediate connection she and Han had....you could see Han almost questioning 'who' this girl was, that she was familiar in a way. They finished each others sentences....the piloting characteristics. I think the film 'wants' us to believe it's Luke's daughter but given the franchises dedication to making things a 'family' matter......I think Rey will end up being Ren's sister, the ultimate sibling battle to where eventually....at the end of the third film.....they join together to defeat and kill Snoke once and for all. After Luke has been killed somehow of course.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #334 on: December 31, 2015, 01:03:18 PM »
I also think Rey is Han's daughter based on the way he looked at her and reacted to her during the movie. I think it would be cooler is she wasn't anyone's daughter and was just some random, but that probably won't happen. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: December 31, 2015, 01:09:54 PM »
I also think Rey is Han's daughter based on the way he looked at her and reacted to her during the movie. I think it would be cooler is she wasn't anyone's daughter and was just some random, but that probably won't happen. :lol

I disagree to the extent of the entire STAR WARS story is based around one family....the Skywalkers. Rey is a Skywalker by blood. Having her be some random 'outsider' wouldn't be holding true to the entire theme of STAR WARS. I get that people want to 'complain' that TFA used too many nostalgia aspects and all....but making Rey NOT either Luke or Leia's kid would be a mistake IMO. She can't be just 'some' person strong with the force. She must be a Skywalker...which, I think there's about a 99% chance that she will be.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #336 on: December 31, 2015, 01:12:22 PM »
Han, really? I thought Luke, if anyone.

I mean, she got those random visions of him, is connected to his lightsaber (oh man...not changing the wording), Maz made numerous references to lineage when discussing her being left alone as well as the lightsaber generational tradition, on top of her massive use of the force despite never once being trained in it...

I think it's pretty obvious, but like you said, I'd love to be proven wrong and she is just a natural-born talent with no connection to anyone.

RIP DTP.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #337 on: December 31, 2015, 01:13:25 PM »
I'm beginning to think more and more that Rey is Han and Leia's kid. I read an article that put Ren at 29 in the movie, Rey at 19. I don't think Han knew she was his daughter but I think Leia did. Han and Leia split up....Leia was either pregnant and didn't know or didn't tell Han. Either way, He's gone.....Ren goes nuts and joins the darkside so Leia 'hides' Rey.

The way Leia looked at Rey at the end she absolutely 'knew' who she was. That, along with the immediate connection she and Han had....you could see Han almost questioning 'who' this girl was, that she was familiar in a way. They finished each others sentences....the piloting characteristics. I think the film 'wants' us to believe it's Luke's daughter but given the franchises dedication to making things a 'family' matter......I think Rey will end up being Ren's sister, the ultimate sibling battle to where eventually....at the end of the third film.....they join together to defeat and kill Snoke once and for all. After Luke has been killed somehow of course.

Interesting theory.  The second paragraph has some plausibility.  Not sure how I can buy the content of the first though.  Let's walk this thru... with a 10 year age difference, if Rey is born after Han/Leia split, then Kylo/Ben was 10 (max) when he was sent away to train with Luke (because that's when Leia "lost you both")?  How much time between that, and Kylo/Ben forming the Knights of Ren and turning on Luke -  surely he must've been older than 10 years old?  I always got the impression that the Han/Leia split was after Kylo/Ben led the mutiny - I suspect at least a mid-teenager.  According to the above theory, that would put Rey at least 5 years old.  If Han/Leia split when Kylo/Ben was 10 and first sent away, how did Han keep in touch with the situation surrounding him, and still be held in the dark about Rey?

Plausible I suppose, but I'm not buying it.  You were also convinced that Kylo was Luke Skywalker, so I'm not sure we can take any of the theories you buy into seriously.   :biggrin:  :-*

I disagree to the extent of the entire STAR WARS story is based around one family....the Skywalkers. Rey is a Skywalker by blood. Having her be some random 'outsider' wouldn't be holding true to the entire theme of STAR WARS. I get that people want to 'complain' that TFA used too many nostalgia aspects and all....but making Rey NOT either Luke or Leia's kid would be a mistake IMO. She can't be just 'some' person strong with the force. She must be a Skywalker...which, I think there's about a 99% chance that she will be.

THAT, I agree with.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #338 on: December 31, 2015, 01:17:50 PM »

Not necessarily.  The first six films dealt with the Skywalker family because of the prophecy concerning Anakin.  As far as we know, that was all fulfilled and there is nothing requiring that the story be about that one family moving forward.  It could very well be that their purpose has been largely fulfilled and that we are now moving away from them.  VII could merely have been the start of that transition that takes us into entirely non-Skywalker territory.

That said, I still think that Ep. 8 and 9 will still center around the Skywalker family and that Rey is likely one of them.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: December 31, 2015, 02:29:52 PM »

Interesting theory.  The second paragraph has some plausibility.  Not sure how I can buy the content of the first though.  Let's walk this thru... with a 10 year age difference, if Rey is born after Han/Leia split, then Kylo/Ben was 10 (max) when he was sent away to train with Luke (because that's when Leia "lost you both")?  How much time between that, and Kylo/Ben forming the Knights of Ren and turning on Luke -  surely he must've been older than 10 years old?  I always got the impression that the Han/Leia split was after Kylo/Ben led the mutiny - I suspect at least a mid-teenager.  According to the above theory, that would put Rey at least 5 years old.  If Han/Leia split when Kylo/Ben was 10 and first sent away, how did Han keep in touch with the situation surrounding him, and still be held in the dark about Rey?

Plausible I suppose, but I'm not buying it.  You were also convinced that Kylo was Luke Skywalker, so I'm not sure we can take any of the theories you buy into seriously.   :biggrin:  :-*

THAT, I agree with.

I think the age difference and 'unawareness of one another' between Ren and Rey could be explained away with a clear order of events being detailed. And, I wasn't 'convinced' that Ren was Luke as much as I thought it'd be a cool idea for Luke to have went bad.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #340 on: December 31, 2015, 02:54:19 PM »
Wait...Luke isn't Kylo Ren?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #341 on: December 31, 2015, 05:03:32 PM »
Ruke is Lylo Ken.

RIP DTP.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #342 on: December 31, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »
Kylo Ren is Luke and Leia's son
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #343 on: December 31, 2015, 05:45:02 PM »
THAT'S why his nose is so funky! It all makes sense...

On a more serious note...Whoa. Interesting stuff. Reveals more tidbits about TFA script and details not in the movie.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:06:00 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: January 02, 2016, 07:20:43 AM »
Going to see it again in a D-Box seat in 2D today!!  First time trying this!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBbEaEUqtnY

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: January 02, 2016, 09:20:08 AM »
Just saw it a second time.  I really tried to pay closer attention this time around to try to pick up cues and subtleties.  I think the biggest thing that "Nags" at me is the meeting of Rey and Leia.  To say there seems to be a bond and recognition between the two is an understatement.  Neither seem to be "Appraising" the other.  They seemingly "KNOW" each other.  The prolonged hug they share....strangers don't do that.  Which brings us to the crux we're all trying to figure out.  Luke's?  Or Leia's?  I just can't past the idea of Han not knowing he has a daughter.  By Han and Leia's dialogue it seems like the "Growing apart" between them happened AFTER Ren's fall.  How old would Ren have to have been to challenge Luke and destroy what Luke was trying to do?  15 or so at the youngest?  I could be wrong but the age difference between Ren and Rey can't be too much. So again, how would Han NOT know?

For a brief moment I was thinking Rey is Luke's daughter and Luke had Leia hide her away.  That would explain the familiarity between Leia and Rey if Leia had taken her to Jakku.  Big problem with that theory is... why would Leia leave her with a scum bag like Unkar Plutt?  Maybe Leia took her part of the way, then something happened? 

Also!  I thought I imagined it the first time but I didn't, there WAS a female stormtrooper that Ren was talking too when they were trying to locate Rey.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #346 on: January 02, 2016, 09:32:26 AM »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #348 on: January 02, 2016, 11:50:38 AM »
I also saw it a second time today! The screening had some audio problems, but that didn't affect the experience much.

I still love it as much as i did the first time! Daisy Ridley is about a hundred times more relatable as a protagonist, than Hayden Christensen!

There are parallels with A New Hope, but i think that is a smart move considering that this movie had to essentially reboot the franchise. With a safe start for the trilogy and everyone onboard, Rian Johnson can go crazy with Episode 8.

After the second viewing, i'm even more convinced that Rey is Luke's daughter. The hints are there, all over this movie.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #349 on: January 02, 2016, 02:40:14 PM »
I think the line "this lightsaber was Luke's and his father's before him, and now it calls to you" is the biggest clue in the movie.