Author Topic: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*  (Read 59538 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*
« Reply #630 on: February 08, 2016, 11:52:33 AM »
That old school pic is simultaneously scary, awesome and horrifyingly depressing.

Emo Ren is fucking  :metal :sadpanda:

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #631 on: February 08, 2016, 11:55:40 AM »
 :rollin :lol :rollin
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: February 08, 2016, 12:39:33 PM »
That picture is classic lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #633 on: February 08, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »
" Everyone thought TFA would beat Avatar but it's not going to beat Titanic ! "

" You don't know. It depends on the totals from January ! "

:lol keep dreaming. it's got another $200m to make and at the moment - it's making less than $2m a day.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #634 on: February 08, 2016, 12:43:04 PM »
It will probably be in theaters for another 2 months though

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: February 08, 2016, 12:43:57 PM »
I can see it staying in theaters past the April 5th blu ray release.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: February 08, 2016, 12:55:43 PM »
It will probably be in theaters for another 2 months though

I guarantee it will not make another $200m.  During the week it makes less than $1m a day.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #637 on: February 08, 2016, 09:32:06 PM »
The only way it is surpassing Titanic is if they re-release it, which is what they did with Titanic anyway.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #638 on: February 09, 2016, 08:07:46 PM »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #639 on: February 09, 2016, 08:43:55 PM »
Interesting!  The first two, anyway.  I'm not sure what the third pic adds, but I never noticed the connection in the first two.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: February 09, 2016, 09:00:30 PM »
Interesting!  The first two, anyway.  I'm not sure what the third pic adds, but I never noticed the connection in the first two.

The third pic is probably a reminder that Kylo Ren worships Vader and has that mask with him.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #641 on: February 09, 2016, 09:41:43 PM »
I guess.  But it's not like we needed the reminder.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: February 09, 2016, 09:45:11 PM »
True. I think they just considered it more evidence for the case.

Personally I don't think it's Vader (or any variation), and I really hope not. They have enough callbacks, and I think they need to keep it fresh. Having a direct connection to Vader would reek of EU.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #643 on: February 09, 2016, 11:59:24 PM »
True. I think they just considered it more evidence for the case.

Personally I don't think it's Vader (or any variation), and I really hope not. They have enough callbacks, and I think they need to keep it fresh. Having a direct connection to Vader would reek of EU.
Agreed. And I think the series being 1-3: his rise, 4-6: his fall (and eventual redemption) and 7-9: his legacy makes sense and is a cool idea. If they actually brought him back in some form, that would feel very forced.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #644 on: February 10, 2016, 01:42:34 AM »
Whoa. God fucking damn it.

I really, really hope not but that is quite the connection. Undeniable, I'd say...

And the third pic is no doubt there to show that he's somehow become even more disfigured when whatever happened to melt/deform the mask also further disfigured his face and eye. The left (our right) eye in the Snoke pic and that half of the face is fairly more disfigured than in the OT Vader pic, the eye is further upwards and outwards and his nostril on that side is nearly nonexistent; both deformations completely absent before, both nearly (exactly, to my eyes) the same positions as the helmet's melted side, specifically the eye, nostril and cheek/mouth...to a T. That's the part that really gets me is that...it's so fucking similar in position, combined with the scars...UUUUUGH. You can even see stretching and scarring on that side of his face that isn't there on the other side. At first it just looks like age marks but with that helmet pic, which is in, again, pretty much the exact same spots of melted parts...it's uncanny.

I mean it's...kind of ridiculously similar. I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least some kind of phantom (menace; oh god wouldn't that be so awesome if they actually called it that) or ephemeral projection of his force. But again, I hope it's nothing more than a really odd callback but uh...man...with all the talk of how powerful and everlasting his force was, more than anyone else in the universe...I wouldn't be surprised if they made it so that his force can make him nearly immortal and/or extend his lifespan to that of ridiculous proportions. I think it'd take the entire New Trilogy down a couple notches but...I can absolutely see that happening. That's crazy.

They'd get some points for hiding it that well though, unless I just missed talk of it. Which is entirely possible considering that I don't pay any attention to Star Wars talk but here and dismiss almost every theory as batshit insanity from all too obsessed Star Wars addicts. But the fact it wasn't immediately talked about is enough said, I mean that is absolutely at the very least some kind of homage, it's ridiculously similar... So good on them at all for this well veiled...whatever it is. I hope homage, but I'm not gonna say it's impossible that Snoke is Vader....*GASP*

VADER...SNOKE...VAPOR...SMOKE....HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:54:53 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #645 on: February 10, 2016, 02:22:30 AM »
Abrams in particular I just cannot see screwing up the original series by essentially retconning Vader's redemption at the end of Jedi. I don't think it's Vader.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #646 on: February 10, 2016, 02:36:36 AM »
That too. I just can't get over the combination of the scars (which alone would be an "ah, interesting" thing but hardly convincing) and the coincidental left side of Snoke's face in near tandem with the immense warping of the coincidental same side of the helmet in the same spots. That's...a bit too much for me and I'm not even "looking" for those connections...they kind of just jumped out at me. Being a completely nonchalant SW fan allows me to be pretty unbiased in that regard. I can still see this being a big coincidence but uh...seriously, those are tough to deny unless anyone just does't see the similarities, which I'd find insane. Unless you're an old fogey in which case your opinion is null and void, just like your eyeballs.  :P Even with that subpar pic quality it's pretty apparent to me.

RIP DTP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #647 on: February 10, 2016, 03:00:51 AM »
Doesn't have to be a coincidence - a big theme of the trilogy could be Anakin's/Vader's legacy. We've already seen that in Kylo Ren. Snoke could be similarly influenced by Vader, or his force essence or whatever, without it actually being Vader himself.

Like I said before, I quite like the Vader's legacy idea, and it would fit well as a natural follow-on from the previous trilogies.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #648 on: February 10, 2016, 03:36:26 AM »
Also, isn't Vader's skull still inside the helmet?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: February 10, 2016, 03:53:43 AM »
I would hope that he scooped out the charred giblets first. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #650 on: February 10, 2016, 06:27:16 AM »
I would hope that he scooped out the charred giblets first. :lol

Unless he's into that sort of thing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: February 10, 2016, 06:44:53 AM »
Charred Vader.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #652 on: February 10, 2016, 09:18:14 AM »
I love where this thread is going.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Calvin6s

« Reply #653 on: February 11, 2016, 08:37:38 PM »
I really hope there's no Vader is Snoke (or Vader's ghost / clone is Snoke).  I noticed the scar on the head the first showing and thought "wow, that's pretty Vader.  It might be him.  That would be cool .... maybe not.  Let's not turn this into Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street."

And please, no Rey was mindwiped by Luke/Snoke/Ren.  Traumatic amnesia or traumatic childhood memory repression is infinitely more palatable.

Is Snoke a combination of some other characters names like Kylo is sKYwalker soLO?

I'm reserving final judgment on The Force Awakens until I see how it all fits together.  Loved it right up until Rey's arc took too sharp a turn.  Not sure how they are going to explain that.  I even wrote in the Star Wars thread that I figured Jedi Finn was a misdirection and Rey would end up being the Jedi to beat Ren, but based off Ren being all dark jedi talk and no dark jedi swagger.  But then he
1.  Stopped a laser bolt in mid air, without even knowing it was coming (except via Spidey Sense).  Then carried on a conversation with others while still holding it.  First impression.  This dude is bad ass.
2.  Spock mind raped others with ease.  Vader couldn't do that with Leia (or Han even if that wasn't the goal in Empire)
3.  Completely paralyzed others
4.  Toyed with Finn until he got too careless.  Then proving he was toying with Finn by disarming him and taking out Finn in one quick move (a la Vader to Luke in ESB).
So ... his arc was not a pretender to the throne, but the real deal.  Then the last 20 minutes happened.

It also takes away some of the drama as that usually comes from the good guys being a long shot to the bad guys.  That's been reversed.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 01:11:19 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: February 12, 2016, 11:27:41 AM »
You may have written Rey when you meant Ren.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #655 on: February 12, 2016, 11:47:41 AM »
I'm reserving final judgment on The Force Awakens until I see how it all fits together.  Loved it right up until Rey's arc took too sharp a turn.  Not sure how they are going to explain that.  I even wrote in the Star Wars thread that I figured Jedi Finn was a misdirection and Rey would end up being the Jedi to beat Rey, but based off Rey being all dark jedi talk and no dark jedi swagger.  But then he
1.  Stopped a laser bolt in mid air, without even knowing it was coming (except via Spidey Sense).  Then carried on a conversation with others while still holding it.  First impression.  This dude is bad ass.
2.  Spock mind raped others with ease.  Vader couldn't do that with Leia (or Han even if that wasn't the goal in Empire)
3.  Completely paralyzed others
4.  Toyed with Finn until he got too careless.  Then proving he was toying with Finn by disarming him and taking out Finn in one quick move (a la Vader to Luke in ESB).
So ... his arc was not a pretender to the throne, but the real deal.  Then the last 20 minutes happened.

So Rey can't be a badass? I think she proved just the same right out of the gate when we see that she was getting the most elusive..well paid off parts from the downed ships (she comments how much they had paid for them the week before and then now she was getting ripped off) She knows her way around a ship...then unbeknownst to her the Force decides to help her fly the Falcon in her time of need...you can even see her in moments almost 'praying' which in past Star Wars films usually meant the Force was being 'accessed'. She did that same thing without even knowing it. On the planet when Ren first trys to mind invade her just as he was getting going he was interrupted but that gave her a chance to really stirr up the Force as well and feel what she was up against, which...subsequently led her to Jedi Mind trick 007. She clearly knows her history because when they meet Han Solo Finn says "the war hero?" but she says "no, the famous smuggler" so she's been educated to a point.

I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination to believe that she (lineage yet to be revealed) is undoubtedly more "powerful" than Ren could ever hope to be...if he didn't know it after she repelled his mind invasion then he does now that she whooped him at a saber duel and if not for a falling apart planet would have killed him. The Force...when she willingly sought it....completely manifest itself and guided her to not get beaten by Ren.

By the time those two meet again Ren will have been taught more by Snoke and Rey will have been taught more by Luke....it would appear to be a great battle setting up.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 12:52:21 PM by gmillerdrake »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: February 12, 2016, 11:48:51 AM »
Just a little aside ...

Cameras have started rolling on Episode 8.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #657 on: February 12, 2016, 11:54:26 AM »
I still don't get how people question the Rey vs Ren fight. They take pretty much the entire movie setting up how powerful the crossbow was, and that people getting hit flew away by the power of it. Ren took a shot straight in the gut and was pretty much mortally wounded by the time he faced Finn and Rey. Rey being able to hold her own against a severely injured Ren is not as big of a feat as some people say.

Am I the only one who thinks Rey is gonna get really injured when they face each other again in E8? The middle movie is always the darkest one, and considering that she did sort of win the first battle (even if Ren was badly injured), I just have a bad feeling she will barely make it out of E8, just so that she can return for a glorious win in E9. But I don't want her to lose her hand, because we've seen enough of that IMO.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #658 on: February 12, 2016, 12:00:29 PM »
SPOILERS:

She will lose her left earlobe.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #659 on: February 12, 2016, 12:15:33 PM »
And not only was Ren seriously injured, but Ray already was alread a badass with a staff weapon, so i could see her being able to improvise with a saber and she's naturally gifted in the force as well (maybe even more so then Ren) so there is that factor as well.

My guess for Episode 8 would be rey confronts a fully trained and healed Ren, gets her ass beat a la Empire, but as the final blow is about to come Luke steps in and puts up a valiant fight but ends up dying, right before or after he admits to rey he is her father. Rey sees his death, but is taken away/has to flee before she can avenge him, ending on a super sour note once again reflecting empire.

Then in Episode 9, leia is killed in front of Ren somehow, possibly by snoke, thus rekindling the last piece of the light side he had in him and allowing him to redeem himself. Like yeah, he hated his father and blamed him for a lot, but at this point we have no idea if he cares for mother. Much remains to be seen.

just throwing stuff out there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: February 12, 2016, 12:16:45 PM »
its like pottery it rimez

You're probably not far off.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #661 on: February 12, 2016, 12:23:06 PM »
If I am right, I hope I get mailed a pizza role  ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: February 12, 2016, 12:26:15 PM »
If I am right, I hope I get mailed a pizza role  ;)

Oh wait how is that po

1. PHOENIX GETS A PIZZA ROLL

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #663 on: February 12, 2016, 12:41:04 PM »
mind rape

Yeah, you really need to stop using that term.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #664 on: February 12, 2016, 12:53:04 PM »
mind invasion

Yeah, you really need to stop using that term.

Changed in all locations used....sorry......
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind