Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200810 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)
« Reply #7385 on: January 25, 2016, 05:45:26 PM »
I got the e-mail from Arhys, can somebody paste the one from the emperor?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7386 on: January 25, 2016, 05:51:51 PM »
I got the e-mail from Arhys, can somebody paste the one from the emperor?

They were both pasted a couple pages back unless they got deleted.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7387 on: January 25, 2016, 05:54:43 PM »
I got the email about the delay and pin, which looks nice. But no shipping email yet.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #7388 on: January 25, 2016, 05:59:40 PM »
hmm, i ordered from the UK store, didn't get any mail about the pin. Could you post it somewhere so i can see?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #7389 on: January 25, 2016, 06:01:15 PM »
(reposting this any case there is new information)

Due to the delay until March, any speculation as to what the bonus gift will be for those of us that purchased the box sets?  Any ideas?

Like I said on the Preorder thread, I think it's going to be either a GNEA or Ravenskill patch. If it's both, that'd be amazing, because I would love to collect everything released for this album.

Wow, that sounds cool either way.  Thanks for the info and pointing me toward the Pre Order Thread.  I've been on a self-imposed ban until my order arrives.  Trying to avoid spoiler discussions and reviews, so I've limited my DTF exposure until then, but was curious about the surprise item.  Thanks!

Offline dvargas

« Reply #7390 on: January 25, 2016, 06:04:01 PM »
Not liking the reviews that are out. Although all of them praise what DT accomplishes with the album they all say that there's a lot of filler songs that add nothing and that Mangini is under-utilized  :-[

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7391 on: January 25, 2016, 06:05:32 PM »
Under utilized to me means " he doesn't do 300bpm blasts in 4 different time signatures and 4 limbed drum rolls "

Which is FINE by me.

How about playing to the song ? ::)

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #7392 on: January 25, 2016, 06:17:34 PM »
Under utilized to me means " he doesn't do 300bpm blasts in 4 different time signatures and 4 limbed drum rolls "

Which is FINE by me.

How about playing to the song ? ::)

But what if the songs ask for a 300bpm blasts in 4 different time signatures and 4 limbed drum rolls?  :omg:

How does that even work anyway?  :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7393 on: January 25, 2016, 06:56:28 PM »
I read both e-mails, getting pretty pumped!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #7394 on: January 25, 2016, 07:18:46 PM »
SHAME ON YOU PEOPLE!  :lol :rollin
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #7395 on: January 25, 2016, 07:27:17 PM »
" two hundredth fifty seven A.C"?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #7396 on: January 25, 2016, 07:30:20 PM »

Like I said on the Preorder thread, I think it's going to be either a GNEA or Ravenskill patch. If it's both, that'd be amazing, because I would love to collect everything released for this album.

Wow, that sounds cool either way.  Thanks for the info and pointing me toward the Pre Order Thread.  I've been on a self-imposed ban until my order arrives.  Trying to avoid spoiler discussions and reviews, so I've limited my DTF exposure until then, but was curious about the surprise item.  Thanks!

SPOILER (perhaps?)

Interestingly enough, I received an email this evening from RoadRunner saying that the surprise gift will actually be a PIN of a nomac.  A picture was included.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7397 on: January 25, 2016, 10:06:11 PM »
Listened to TGoM. Sounded like something from 6D but with 3x more drums than necessary.

Listened to MoB. Also sounded like something from 6D, but only twice the drums necessary. Much more to my liking.

All in all, don't care for the drums and the drum sound in particular. The guy's insanely talented and he's playing in DT, so the only possible thing to do is to overplay the shit out of everything to the detriment of a nice grove. But, at the same time the music isn't bad and I'll be damned if I don't want to see the guy play it live.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pcs90

« Reply #7398 on: January 25, 2016, 10:36:38 PM »
Can someone explain to me how MM is overplaying? The sound itself is mechanical yes, but MP overplayed far more often IMO. I think MM is much more tasteful so I'm really confused.

Offline arkdtmp

• Eat My Ass and Balls
« Reply #7399 on: January 25, 2016, 11:33:10 PM »
Can someone explain to me how MM is overplaying? The sound itself is mechanical yes, but MP overplayed far more often IMO. I think MM is much more tasteful so I'm really confused.
I believe MP hardly ever overplayed and nor for that matter Mangini. I did like Portnoy's creativity and inventiveness more though; he had a much larger repertoire because of his HUGE range of influences.  :tup

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7400 on: January 25, 2016, 11:34:32 PM »
I believe MP hardly ever overplayed and nor for that matter Mangini. I did like Portnoy's creativity and inventiveness more though; he had a much larger repertoire because of his HUGE range of influences.  :tup
I also find Portnoy to 'overuse' his influences quite a bit.

Muse-meets-Yes-meets-PinkFloyd-meets-FrankZappa-meets-Beatles-meets-Metallica-meets-Maiden-meets-U2
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #7401 on: January 25, 2016, 11:40:29 PM »
I also find Portnoy to 'overuse' his influences quite a bit.

Muse-meets-Yes-meets-PinkFloyd-meets-FrankZappa-meets-Beatles-meets-Metallica-meets-Maiden-meets-U2

Indeed. But, man, even if his bag of tricks had become a little stale, the guy was still capable of fantastic drum parts or in any case, much more to my liking than MM has done for DT up to now.

B.Lee

Edit : I may be able to get The Astonishing at my mocal store as early as Thursday, which leaves me all Thursday evening and since I don't work then, all Friday morning to immerse myself in the experience. Can't wait!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7402 on: January 26, 2016, 12:38:02 AM »
hmm, i ordered from the UK store, didn't get any mail about the pin. Could you post it somewhere so i can see?
Welcome to the world of Roadrunner UK.
I had problems when I pre ordered ADTOE from them, didn't receive that till a week after release as they has "sold out" a pre order.
I worried when the only place to get the ultimate edition we from them.
I have no email from them recently saying anything about it being sent.
Can see my opinions of this album being spoilt by RRUK not providing any form of service.
If this does happen can you feed this back to DT management via the Fan Club?

Offline Laughing_man923

« Reply #7403 on: January 26, 2016, 12:49:10 AM »
I got the email telling us the box sets were delayed until May, but still no email confirming a shipment yet.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #7404 on: January 26, 2016, 02:33:03 AM »
"I think James is going to need therapy after this one..." 'The Astonishing' Interview Pt.1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3M7_y6bZPA

Offline TK

« Reply #7405 on: January 26, 2016, 03:02:58 AM »
So, let me ask this here, maybe someone knows: Releasedates were previously usually on Mondays whereas they're mostly on Fridays now. When an album was to be released on a Monday, stores would usually already have it for sale on the Friday before that. So now that the album is released this Friday, does that mean that stores may already have it for sale on Thurday?

I'm kinda fed up with waiting, you see... ;D 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7406 on: January 26, 2016, 04:36:25 AM »
Nice interview with James few comments above.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7407 on: January 26, 2016, 05:21:24 AM »
So, let me ask this here, maybe someone knows: Releasedates were previously usually on Mondays whereas they're mostly on Fridays now. When an album was to be released on a Monday, stores would usually already have it for sale on the Friday before that. So now that the album is released this Friday, does that mean that stores may already have it for sale on Thurday?

Basically - perhaps. The stores will have them in stock at some stage this week, but they will be embargoed from selling them until Ffriday am. Big stores stick to the embargoes, but smaller independant stores are more likely to break it, especially for smaller artists. Get down your local indie record store (very few of them left, I know) and sweet talk the clerk...

Those French pix linked a few pages back make it clear the booklet is glued on again - drat...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7408 on: January 26, 2016, 06:28:10 AM »
NOTICE:

I have snipped links and references to an apparently-legit site selling and streaming the album early while we establish whether it is, in fact, legit. Please do not link or reference the site by name until we have confirmation that it's cool.

Crucially, if the page is a fake one, then anyone who buys the mp3s would be paying pirates directly, which is not ok.

Thanks for your patience.

UPDATE:

There are indications that the page in question might well be a fake that is selling a pirated version of the album. PLEASE DO NOT BUY THE ALBUM ON DOWNLOAD anywhere not officially linked to by the band or by Roadrunner.

FURTHER UPDATE:

Confirmed: The page in question is NOT legit. DO NOT BUY THE DOWNLOADS FROM THERE. I will be deleting the posts referencing it and the music from this thread.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:00:03 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline palmeiras

« Reply #7409 on: January 26, 2016, 06:32:02 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EwLdP4IObvc

the gift of music vocal cover

Offline emtee

« Reply #7410 on: January 26, 2016, 06:37:04 AM »
So do you want running comments suspended until you confirm?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7411 on: January 26, 2016, 06:46:00 AM »
Didn't expect an official stream already (which this one is, right? Otherwise delete this post).

EDIT: I have stored my post on my PC until the album is officially released, as the link was not official?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7412 on: January 26, 2016, 06:50:21 AM »
So do you want running comments suspended until you confirm?
That would seem sensible.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7413 on: January 26, 2016, 06:52:55 AM »
I asked Warner Music Germany if that site is legit, still have a contact from the listening session last Friday. But I am sure you guys have closer connections of course.  ;)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7414 on: January 26, 2016, 06:54:13 AM »
I wonder if the site has measures against potential fakes? I mean, can anybody just put a leak on that site and ask money from it?(and get away with it?). 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:56:35 AM by ariich »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7415 on: January 26, 2016, 06:55:58 AM »
I have had confirmation that the page in question is NOT legit. The album is not officially available anywhere yet. DO NOT BUY THE ALBUM ON DOWNLOAD ANYWHERE NOT LINKED TO BY THE BAND OR ROADRUNNER. You will be funding piracy if you do.

And it goes without saying that absolutely do not link the page here.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7416 on: January 26, 2016, 06:57:13 AM »
I didn't think it seemed a legit site for a band like DT. Hopefully they sue the scum who profited off this. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7417 on: January 26, 2016, 06:59:12 AM »
We're just three days from official release. Compared to the 3 months since the promo campaign started, that's nothing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7418 on: January 26, 2016, 07:00:25 AM »
Damn, that sucks, especially if people were thinking they were supporting the band by paying trough that site. Kind of surprised this can happen with for an album of a well known band on a big website.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:03:11 AM by ariich »

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7419 on: January 26, 2016, 07:00:35 AM »
I wonder if the site has measures against potential fakes? I mean, can anybody just put a leak on that site and ask money from it?(and get away with it?).

I used that site for my own music. Of course you proclaim that you own the rights for the music you offer for streaming and download. But otherwise as far as I remembered there are no obstacles to upload music to which you have the MP3's...