Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1207463 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #6125 on: January 14, 2016, 04:48:39 PM »
Of course, it's official, it's on amazon.fr

That doesn't mean anything.  Amazon has made mistakes and leaked information before.  Just because something is on some random Internet site that the band or label does not control does NOT mean that it is an official, authorized release.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #6126 on: January 14, 2016, 05:07:24 PM »
Now that the first listening party has concluded, does it mean that the embargos have been lifted? 
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #6127 on: January 14, 2016, 05:53:42 PM »
Because it sounds like he's singing through a robot. It's not really noticable when the entire band is going at it, but all through that calm section it's really obvious. It's so in your face how non natural and not quite like a human being it sounds. Am as unsure as you are, but over how this isn't being considered undesputable fact, no matter what the band says.

What a bunch of horseshit. Listening to the song countless times, I truly have no idea what all the fuss is about. If people can hear whatever it is they can hear, thats fine. But to carry on like James sounds like Bane or something is such an over-eggaterration, and pretty pointless considering we are talking about something that is lucky to last a second. 

Offline jsbru

« Reply #6128 on: January 14, 2016, 06:01:40 PM »
Sometimes, I wish that people viewed DT's music a little more like Rush's, in that the cheesy, nerdy moments would be viewed as more of a positive than a negative. As I understand it, Rush always took their music seriously, even though the lyrics got a little silly at times, but that became a part of their charm. I see no reason why I, as a fan, shouldn't approach Dream Theater the same way. I personally couldn't care less if the Astonishing is just a two hour geek fest.

No kidding.

They're just having fun.  That this story is over the top just shows they have a sense of humor about things.  It's the fans that are taking things too seriously.  Just listen to the music and let yourself be entertained instead of being hyper-critical over every little irrelevant detail.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6129 on: January 14, 2016, 06:02:43 PM »
Just because something is on some random Internet site...

I get your point about the mistakes, but Amazon a "random internet site?" :p

Revenue: US$88.988 billion
Total assets: US$54.505 billion
Total equity: US$10.741 billion
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6130 on: January 14, 2016, 06:13:56 PM »
I remember when I commented on an Amazon Japan link four days or so before the ADTOE release and I got banned for a few days, I was really scared for some reason as if it truly mattered in my offline life that I was banned from DTF, I just remember getting kinda depressed and I don't know why  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6131 on: January 14, 2016, 06:30:51 PM »
And then I linked to your post and got banned too...

Good times!

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #6132 on: January 14, 2016, 06:33:20 PM »
Most who complain about the animations, myself included, also say that the music is more important and that we'll wait to judge the album until we hear it. I think you guys are focusing on our negative points on things and somehow miss that we're all (mostly) on the same page when it comes to the music. Which is what you all keep saying is the most important.

Just like how the majority of the reaction to TGOM was nitpicking about one JLB word,

Oh, the weird effect is all over his singing in that song, it's just worst on that word.

But didn't bosk ask the band and they confirmed that no effects were used?

Well, either they're lying, or they don't know, or James LaBrie has surgically installed some sort of robot voice-changer into his throat because that's not what a human being sounds like naturally.

They've never lied to me before, so I have no reason to believe they are doing so now.  And I was told that was 100% James and the way he sung it.  And I'm not really sure why a couple of people refuse to believe that.  It isn't hard to duplicate it.

I know this could go around and around in endless circles, but what James' voice does in that small moment ("time") is not easy to duplicate. No way in hell. If it is - somebody please upload a youtube video of them doing it cos I can't believe that until I see it.

Personally I could two shits if they did manipulate it,and the sound doesn't bother me at all, but the whole thing is a bit odd. But yeah, until I see someone replicating it on a youtube vid I can't believe that it's "not hard to duplicate"; I can't think of any other natural example like it in all of music.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 06:40:31 PM by phospheneSOI »
I walk beside Dream Theater.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6133 on: January 14, 2016, 06:44:59 PM »
And then I linked to your post and got banned too...

Good times!
I can't believe that you remember that. :lol  I'm sorry that you got banned too

I don't even remember who originally posted the link, but I remember being really confused
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #6134 on: January 14, 2016, 06:47:24 PM »
It's almost here and we can nitpick about ALL the tracks!!!!!!  :hat
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6135 on: January 14, 2016, 07:57:20 PM »
Just because something is on some random Internet site...

I get your point about the mistakes, but Amazon a "random internet site?" :p

Revenue: US$88.988 billion
Total assets: US$54.505 billion
Total equity: US$10.741 billion

In terms of this discussion, yes.  They are simply an online music vendor and, in terms of the content that gets posted and the timing, are simply a mill.  A minion behind a computer puts the post together for a particular album, and keys that information to go live at whatever point in time his supervisor(s) or some email tells him to.  He has no idea whatsoever what the particular band's or label's marketing plan is, or what any of the specifics are.  So, yeah, while they may be a HUGE retail site, they have no connection whatsoever to the band's or the label's decision-making processes.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6136 on: January 14, 2016, 07:58:18 PM »
I know this could go around and around in endless circles, but what James' voice does in that small moment ("time") is not easy to duplicate. No way in hell. If it is - somebody please upload a youtube video of them doing it cos I can't believe that until I see it.

Sorry, but that's just a ridiculous claim.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #6137 on: January 14, 2016, 08:32:07 PM »
Why is the melodyne thing being discussed again? We were so over it.  :-[

The band said no pitch correction software. It's JLB. That's about it.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6138 on: January 14, 2016, 08:34:14 PM »

Because DTF, so people who think they know better than the band feel the need to bring it up out of the blue and ignore facts to show how superior their knowledge is.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #6139 on: January 14, 2016, 08:46:36 PM »
James LaBrie is vocaloid
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #6140 on: January 14, 2016, 08:49:47 PM »
James LaBrie is vocaloid

James LaBrie gave voice to the NOMACs.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #6141 on: January 14, 2016, 08:52:48 PM »
James LaBrie is vocaloid

...You're not Kuja...
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #6142 on: January 14, 2016, 08:57:13 PM »
Guys guys new theory.

Maybe the 'melodyne' thing is because it's a NOMAC singing. That's why it sounds robotic! That's why it says 'people just don't have the time for music anymore', it's clearly from the point of view of a machine... like the machine referenced in Constant Motion, that which never stops working. Systematic Chaos Part II confirmed. :neverusethis: :neverusethis: :neverusethis:

James LaBrie is vocaloid

...You're not Kuja...

I AM Kuja.

I just transformed into a Xander/bird hybrid.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #6143 on: January 14, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »
Guys guys new theory.

Maybe the 'melodyne' thing is because it's a NOMAC singing. That's why it sounds robotic! That's why it says 'people just don't have the time for music anymore', it's clearly from the point of view of a machine... like the machine referenced in Constant Motion, that which never stops working. Systematic Chaos Part II confirmed. :neverusethis: :neverusethis: :neverusethis:

James LaBrie is vocaloid

...You're not Kuja...

I AM Kuja.

Then it's time to revert everything to zero...
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #6144 on: January 14, 2016, 09:05:53 PM »
NOMAC's make two sound, one whilst shitting and the other one while talking.

I swear the interlude between Panic Attack and Never Enough is a fucking NOMAC.

The robot singing at ITPOE was another one, good catch Kujie.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #6145 on: January 14, 2016, 09:20:24 PM »
Not that I want to start the traditional artwork nitpicking session just yet, but the central vault's bricks just don't look right… do they? :sad:
Also, that NOMAC is different from the ones on the album cover… I wonder what's the deal with those different designs.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6146 on: January 14, 2016, 09:24:40 PM »
Holy Shiitake mushrooms... The NOMACs are huge. I remember getting that email with the person for comparison, but to see them in this artwork  :hefdaddy
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6147 on: January 14, 2016, 09:36:06 PM »
The big circley bit on the ground reminds me of a Stargate. :lol

Great artwork too. It doesn't look like elements Photoshopped together, it looks like it was rendered as a whole to fit together, everything matches up. I expect this will be booklet artwork?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6148 on: January 14, 2016, 09:37:10 PM »

Great artwork too. It doesn't look like elements Photoshopped together, it looks like it was rendered as a whole to fit together, everything matches up. I expect this will be booklet artwork?
Im hoping--I almost wish they would have had an art book with the special edition or something
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6149 on: January 14, 2016, 09:38:53 PM »

Im hoping--I almost wish they would have had an art book with the special edition or something

That would be a nice idea to give some setting for the story, with pictures, backstory, characters etc. The box set says it includes "The Astonishing Lyric book in the form of a screenplay", which sounds cool either way.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Laughing_man923

« Reply #6150 on: January 14, 2016, 10:36:52 PM »
Guys guys new theory.

James LaBrie is vocaloid

...You're not Kuja...

I AM Kuja.

Then it's time to revert everything to zero...

Hold on a second, let me see who I want to choose for my party this time around. Do you prefer Thievery or Grand Lethal?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6151 on: January 14, 2016, 11:20:22 PM »

Because DTF, so people who think they know better than the band feel the need to bring it up out of the blue and ignore facts to show how superior their knowledge is.

To be fair, I'm not necessarily saying "pitch correction", I'm saying that it's some sort of effect that makes him sound a bit like a robot. And that people keep insisting that it isn't there os baffling, because it clearly is.

And my knowledge is hardly superior. I know very litte about vocal production. The only thing I know is what every other human on the planet sounds like when they make sounds with their mouths, and this ain't it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:25:32 AM by BlackInk »

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #6152 on: January 14, 2016, 11:27:56 PM »
He is not human. The NOMACs are here to take him back home.
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #6153 on: January 14, 2016, 11:48:32 PM »
It's just a little bit of a fryish tone entering his voice as he slides down. Nothing really unusual. The word "have" earlier in that line is a much likelier effects/alteration candidate, even without the knowledge that bosk gave from the band.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6154 on: January 15, 2016, 12:03:36 AM »
It's just a little bit of a fryish tone entering his voice as he slides down. Nothing really unusual. The word "have" earlier in that line is a much likelier effects/alteration candidate, even without the knowledge that bosk gave from the band.

Yes, I'm talking about the entire section, not just the word "time".

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #6155 on: January 15, 2016, 12:03:44 AM »
Guys guys new theory.

James LaBrie is vocaloid

...You're not Kuja...

I AM Kuja.

You mean a Xander/bird wahybrido pickingant, don't you?

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #6156 on: January 15, 2016, 01:11:00 AM »
Loving the artwork.

Thinking perhaps that vault is using false perspective, that it's sloped towards you to give the impression that it's deeper than it really is - in which case the bricks would be right, but just look a bit weird.

And yes, a high quality coffee table artbook is definitely a necessity...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #6157 on: January 15, 2016, 01:37:34 AM »
Italian interview to JP : https://issuu.com/italiandreamers/docs/ytseitalia_-_intervista_petrucci_co/1

I've read a couple of pages... JP says that Gabriel is like Jesus Christ for the inhabitants of Ravenskill (a little city) and they call him "The Astonishing".. However this word is not referred only to him...

Offline CoT67

« Reply #6158 on: January 15, 2016, 01:49:18 AM »
Loving the artwork.

Thinking perhaps that vault is using false perspective, that it's sloped towards you to give the impression that it's deeper than it really is - in which case the bricks would be right, but just look a bit weird.

And yes, a high quality coffee table artbook is definitely a necessity...

Seeing how the NOMACs are shown to be enormous in comparison to an average human, it could be just the trick of perspective... maybe that NOMAC is a bit further down than it appears to be.
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #6159 on: January 15, 2016, 02:43:58 AM »
Dear noxon, it's already Friday. Can we read your review?   :metal