Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1207155 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #6090 on: January 14, 2016, 01:42:37 PM »
Because it sounds like he's singing through a robot. It's not really noticable when the entire band is going at it, but all through that calm section it's really obvious. It's so in your face how non natural and not quite like a human being it sounds. Am as unsure as you are, but over how this isn't being considered undesputable fact, no matter what the band says.

What the band says about it should surely be the be-all-and-end-all of the matter. They were there when they recorded it. We weren't.

(PS. What's up with my posts being the first one on several new pages? It's happened at least 3 times on this thread.)

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #6091 on: January 14, 2016, 01:44:30 PM »
Because it sounds like he's singing through a robot. It's not really noticable when the entire band is going at it, but all through that calm section it's really obvious. It's so in your face how non natural and not quite like a human being it sounds. Am as unsure as you are, but over how this isn't being considered undesputable fact, no matter what the band says.

I don't want to reignite this discussion, but unless it is the compression, I clearly also hear the effect throughout the "we are living day to day..." section. Actually, the word "time" doesn't bother me nearly as much as "lion's share" does. It's very quiet, but it is there.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #6092 on: January 14, 2016, 01:46:55 PM »

What the band says about it should surely be the be-all-and-end-all of the matter. They were there when they recorded it. We weren't.

(PS. What's up with my posts being the first one on several new pages? It's happened at least 3 times on this thread.)

To be fair, and not in the interest of malice, but doesn't James do his own thing in a studio in Canada, then deliver the takes to the guys back in the New York studio?

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #6093 on: January 14, 2016, 01:49:50 PM »

I think I remember someone saying that not only was it possible, but that it wasn't even that hard to do.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6094 on: January 14, 2016, 01:57:48 PM »
dt12 probably has the worst production of any album in my library, and i have black metal albums in my library that intentionally nuked the production for atmosphere's sake
Even worse than Nattens Madrigal? Come on :P
i mean, i don't have that album and probably never will

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #6095 on: January 14, 2016, 02:00:03 PM »
The drums going up and down during the unison section of TGOM is amazing. MM's unique setup allows him to hit one tom at a time during a run.
There's a unison in TGOM? o.O
I wouldn't call it a unison, but there some layered guitar and keyboards parts that are playing some slightly different lines at one point, post-guitar solo.
Yeah, that has nothing to do with a unison, and the fact they're contrapuntally playing different compatible voices, makes that part very special, and very different from unison, it's like anti-unison by definition hahah
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6096 on: January 14, 2016, 02:12:52 PM »
Yeah, if James did this naturally I would absolutely love to know how because the timbre especially on "time" just sounds odd. It's not just the fact that the pitch bend is awkward, the tone quality of that word especially just does not sound natural to me. I would love to get a vocals-only stem of this song.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6097 on: January 14, 2016, 02:16:26 PM »

I think I remember someone saying that not only was it possible, but that it wasn't even that hard to do.

Yeah I remember that, and I always got the impression me and him were talking about two completely different things.

Not if what they say just doesn't make sense. I wouldn't believe them if they told me that there's no distortion on the guitar either. Because it's clearly there.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6098 on: January 14, 2016, 02:17:21 PM »
The drums going up and down during the unison section of TGOM is amazing. MM's unique setup allows him to hit one tom at a time during a run.
I wouldn't call it a unison, but there some layered guitar and keyboards parts that are playing some slightly different lines at one point, post-guitar solo.
Yeah, that has nothing to do with a unison, and the fact they're contrapuntally playing different compatible voices, makes that part very special, and very different from unison, it's like anti-unison by definition hahah
Pretty much. It's a very cool part, but not a unison, by definition.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline obelix5150

« Reply #6099 on: January 14, 2016, 02:18:00 PM »
I have to agree that the way James's voice glitches from an E down to a C sounds like an autotune glitch, because of the way the vocal timbre changes so much on its way down (gets a lot lower just as an audio file does when its transposed down).

But I don't care. It bothered me on the first few listens after I heard it, because it was tough to un-hear, but it's such a minute thing that I stopped caring after a while.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #6100 on: January 14, 2016, 02:41:54 PM »
Let me preface this by saying that I'm not sure if it's related to the album, but Jie Ma posted this piece of art, which shows an oddly familiar structure, on his portfolio website.

https://cdn2.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/001/791/186/large/jie-ma-tt4.jpg?1452784604

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #6101 on: January 14, 2016, 02:48:59 PM »
WOW  :omg:

Offline thosava

« Reply #6102 on: January 14, 2016, 02:49:04 PM »
At least that's a NOMAC from behind in the middle. (so it must be album related)

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #6103 on: January 14, 2016, 02:51:47 PM »
Maybe the Places tab will be live soon then  :tup

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #6104 on: January 14, 2016, 03:01:25 PM »
Let me preface this by saying that I'm not sure if it's related to the album, but Jie Ma posted this piece of art, which shows an oddly familiar structure, on his portfolio website.

https://cdn2.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/001/791/186/large/jie-ma-tt4.jpg?1452784604

Beautiful.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6105 on: January 14, 2016, 03:08:35 PM »

That looks absolutely incredible. And with what appears to be a NOMAC in the middle, I'm almost certain it's related to the album.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6106 on: January 14, 2016, 03:09:10 PM »

The lady in the black dress leaning against the wall on the far left is kinda cute! :p

Also, I feel like the inner shafts the NOMACS have a sort-of majesty logo shape. :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6107 on: January 14, 2016, 03:11:55 PM »
Also, I feel like the inner shafts the NOMACS have a sort-of majesty logo shape. :)

Um, no, Mike.  They have EXACTLY a majesty logo shape.  :)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline thosava

« Reply #6108 on: January 14, 2016, 03:14:52 PM »
I REALLY like the idea of a symbol being around since the beggining of the band, is now being "transformed" into something in a concept album. The majesty symbol has sort of become the skeleton of the NOMACs :tup

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #6109 on: January 14, 2016, 03:22:22 PM »
What's up with my posts being the first one on several new pages? It's happened at least 3 times on this thread.

Well, that's probably due to the amount of pages this thread has.. I'm sure you're not alone with that.. :lol

Just like how the majority of the reaction to TGOM was nitpicking about one JLB word,

Btw, what word are you talking about?..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6110 on: January 14, 2016, 03:30:40 PM »
I'm really hoping these "Places" are backgrounds in the album packaging or something like that. Because from what I've seen (which has been rumored to be a part of the album's concept), everything has looked fantastic.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6111 on: January 14, 2016, 03:33:10 PM »
Just like how the majority of the reaction to TGOM was nitpicking about one JLB word,

Btw, what word are you talking about?..
It's "time" in "People just don't have the time for music anymore".
I may be crazy but James' unusual vibrato had same impact as on this song on their previous releases (even on live albums). I believe they didn't use something like autotune or that other effect which name I forgot but combination of James' vibrato and some other vocal effects may gives us this result. However, I don't hear it to the point it would bother me.
EDIT: That artwork is awesome :)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6112 on: January 14, 2016, 03:33:59 PM »
Bosk confirmed there were no vocal autotone or melodyne (sp?) on James' vocals, I believe.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6113 on: January 14, 2016, 03:38:14 PM »
Correct.  At least, not on that part.  I'm not saying there aren't any vocal effects used anywhere else (I didn't ask).  But definitely NOT on that part.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6114 on: January 14, 2016, 03:41:10 PM »
I meant "simple" usual effects like reverb. It's not like there was just James and his mic and they didn't add anything to it or double vocal tracks.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Wubbagubba

« Reply #6115 on: January 14, 2016, 03:46:53 PM »
I'm really hoping these "Places" are backgrounds in the album packaging or something like that. Because from what I've seen (which has been rumored to be a part of the album's concept), everything has looked fantastic.

Agreed. That image posted earlier is absolutely stunning. I would love to see it in the booklet.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #6116 on: January 14, 2016, 04:03:35 PM »

That is absolutely STUNNING to look at! I really hope they utilize these places well, on the album packaging and in the live show.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #6117 on: January 14, 2016, 04:15:17 PM »
Hey, no one noticed that amazon had leaked the back cover of the album?
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6118 on: January 14, 2016, 04:16:32 PM »
:dangerwillrobinson: IT'S NOT CENTRAL :dangerwillrobinson:

OCD ALERT

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6119 on: January 14, 2016, 04:17:54 PM »
I don't know that that is a "leak."  There is no reason why they cannot post it.  If it was a "leak," you would be banned right now for re-posting it.

« Reply #6120 on: January 14, 2016, 04:19:39 PM »
Of course, it's official, it's on amazon.fr, I used the term "leak" as the back cover was not announced officially by twitter, facebook or the website ;) I should have used : unveiled
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6121 on: January 14, 2016, 04:20:49 PM »
Did you look behind the veil ? :neverusethis:

« Reply #6122 on: January 14, 2016, 04:22:16 PM »
I tried to look at the bigger picture but the resolution was too small :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6123 on: January 14, 2016, 04:22:53 PM »
As did I :(

And that NOMAC isn't central between the two Acts. :(

Who does Jam Mie think he is?

HUGH SYME ?

:neverusethis:

Offline DreamTension

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Live in the moment, breathe in a nude beginning
« Reply #6124 on: January 14, 2016, 04:31:40 PM »

The unison is short, but it starts around 3:16