Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1206994 times)

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #5320 on: January 09, 2016, 06:17:34 PM »
JLB wrote Blind Faith lyrics, every argument against his lyrical skill is invalid :P
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #5321 on: January 09, 2016, 06:21:06 PM »
That is very true. (Even if i think Waters was a genious in the seventies).
I've always found Waters is kind of a miserable human being, and I also think that thanks to that he's one of the most prolific and important rock composers of the 20th century.

JP is just a nice guy who happens to have awesome guitar chops and has healthy relationships with his bandmates, his family and people around him.

I also wouldn't make the comparison at all!
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #5322 on: January 09, 2016, 06:44:12 PM »
Let's just hope John Petrucci doesn't turn into Roger Waters.

Presenting:
The Astonishing
by
John Petrucci
performed by Dream Theater

Unlike Waters, JP has never struck me as:

a) an asshole
b) an angry person
c) a bitter person

So I wouldn't worry about that happening. :lol :biggrin:
JP is extremely polite and well-mannered.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #5323 on: January 09, 2016, 11:33:44 PM »
Let's just hope John Petrucci doesn't turn into Roger Waters.

Presenting:
The Astonishing
by
John Petrucci
performed by Dream Theater

Unlike Waters, JP has never struck me as:

a) an asshole
b) an angry person
c) a bitter person

So I wouldn't worry about that happening. :lol :biggrin:

To be fair, isn't Waters a bit less assholey, angry, and bitter than he was?  I think old age and reflection have softened him up a bit.

....I'm probably wrong.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #5324 on: January 09, 2016, 11:37:41 PM »
So when they're in their 60s, we'll have:

John Petrucci performing The Astonishing solo (with Russell Allen and the Boston Symphony Orchestra????)
Jordan Rudess touring a solo piano version of SFAM
And Mike Portnoy's all-star metal supergroup playing the 12 Step Suite

:corn
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5325 on: January 09, 2016, 11:38:35 PM »
All that I know is that I think this next week is bound to be good. I mean, there can't be two weeks without anything (right? right?).

I suppose a new thread will be created after the listening parties where people who attended can share their impressions?

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #5326 on: January 09, 2016, 11:40:23 PM »
I'm thinking we'll have to get the clock kid next week.  He just have to, right? RIGHT?!
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #5327 on: January 10, 2016, 01:26:03 AM »
JLB wrote Blind Faith lyrics, every argument against his lyrical skill is invalid :P

And he wrote Disappear as well.

Offline TK

« Reply #5328 on: January 10, 2016, 02:00:00 AM »
From Jordan's Twitter:

"Join Jordan Rudess as he STREAMS LIVE on Facebook SUNDAY at 3:00 PM  eastern standard time."

Could this be something Astonishing-related?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5329 on: January 10, 2016, 02:09:25 AM »
It's probably some awesome piano or gadget noodling. Maybe there will be something Astonishing related though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #5330 on: January 10, 2016, 03:19:54 AM »
He mentioned in the post that it was to do with Geo Shred, but hopefully he has something else to say!

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #5331 on: January 10, 2016, 03:20:44 AM »
It's probably some awesome piano or gadget noodling. Maybe there will be something Astonishing related though.

He's just released an app and an album.  It's got to be DT related, last time he did a stream it was the US tour announcement.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #5332 on: January 10, 2016, 03:33:17 AM »
More "pop corn".....meh

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #5333 on: January 10, 2016, 03:36:26 AM »
He mentioned in the post that it was to do with Geo Shred, but hopefully he has something else to say!

Oh..  Nevermind then.

Actually, I don't think it does mention any of the apps.  That was the previous post(s).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:11:03 AM by Thematt202 »
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #5334 on: January 10, 2016, 06:47:06 AM »

Oh..  Nevermind then.

Actually, I don't think it does mention any of the apps.  That was the previous post(s).

"Join Jordan Rudess as he STREAMS LIVE on Facebook SUNDAY at 3:00 PM eastern standard time. Jordan will highlight and discuss his new iPad app GeoShred as well as play some keys! see you there!"
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #5335 on: January 10, 2016, 07:25:30 AM »
Yeah that's the post I was referring to!

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #5336 on: January 10, 2016, 07:32:29 AM »

Oh..  Nevermind then.

"Join Jordan Rudess as he STREAMS LIVE on Facebook SUNDAY at 3:00 PM eastern standard time. Jordan will highlight and discuss his new iPad app GeoShred as well as play some keys! see you there!"

How weird...  The one I saw said:

"Join Jordan Rudess as he STREAMS LIVE on Facebook SUNDAY at 3:00 PM eastern standard time."
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #5337 on: January 10, 2016, 11:30:54 AM »

Oh..  Nevermind then.

"Join Jordan Rudess as he STREAMS LIVE on Facebook SUNDAY at 3:00 PM eastern standard time."

Didn't this happen like 3 weeks ago?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5338 on: January 10, 2016, 11:31:50 AM »
I for one think it is great that this is solely Petrucci's concept storywise/lyrically. He seems to have had a very clear vision of what he wants and I think having him as the sole writer increases chances for a cohesive narrative and clear musical direction for the band. Normally I agree with people wanting lyrics from the whole band, but in cases like these I prefer the idea of the person with the vision giving the story content shape, instead of having other artists work within the boundaries of someone else's imagination.

It was initially a bit of a worry for me actually, that they were just having some fun in the studio and decided to randomly take a few popular intellectual properties and mash those story elements onto some DT tunes. But that is definately not the case here, which is great. This one has been in Petrucci's mind for quite some while. I obviously cannot speak for the quality of the concept yet, however.

Also, I think Labrie is a great singer to do the task of bringing the characters to life. I remember reading Arjen Lucassen said the way Labrie prepared for his role of Me in Human Equation was impressive; he really thinks his characters trough. And the approach Petrucci/Jordan took with the writing, more melodic and many short(er) songs, is likely to allow plenty of diversity and oppertunities for the different band members to shine.  And then there are the choir and orchestra, which is awesome.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5339 on: January 10, 2016, 12:04:26 PM »

Oh..  Nevermind then.

Yeah if this was centered around the new album I think Dream Theater would announce the stream themselves, thinking this will be just about the GeoShred
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5340 on: January 10, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »
Which is useless to me because I don't have an iPad. Neeeeext!  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5341 on: January 10, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
 :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #5342 on: January 10, 2016, 12:15:22 PM »
I for one think it is great that this is solely Petrucci's concept storywise/lyrically. He seems to have had a very clear vision of what he wants and I think having him as the sole writer increases chances for a cohesive narrative and clear musical direction for the band. Normally I agree with people wanting lyrics from the whole band, but in cases like these I prefer the idea of the person with the vision giving the story content shape, instead of having other artists work within the boundaries of someone else's imagination.

It was initially a bit of a worry for me actually, that they were just having some fun in the studio and decided to randomly take a few popular intellectual properties and mash those story elements onto some DT tunes. But that is definately not the case here, which is great. This one has been in Petrucci's mind for quite some while. I obviously cannot speak for the quality of the concept yet, however.

Also, I think Labrie is a great singer to do the task of bringing the characters to life. I remember reading Arjen Lucassen said the way Labrie prepared for his role of Me in Human Equation was impressive; he really thinks his characters trough. And the approach Petrucci/Jordan took with the writing, more melodic and many short(er) songs, is likely to allow plenty of diversity and oppertunities for the different band members to shine.  And then there are the choir and orchestra, which is awesome.

Yes!! I was trying to speak my mind on the fact that petrucci wrote all the lyrics (and how that isn't necessarily a bad thing), but you summed it all up well. I also thought of Ayreon regarding James' ability of bringing other people's characters to life. I've got a great feeling about the whole thing, for sure!

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #5343 on: January 10, 2016, 01:23:49 PM »
How are you supposed to view this stream?!
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5344 on: January 10, 2016, 01:27:43 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/jordanrudessofficial/videos/vb.8717682988/10153448134877989/?type=2&theater&notif_t=live_video

There you go, he's already been live for half an hour though so if you don't want to miss it I guess it will be uploaded afterwards.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5345 on: January 10, 2016, 01:28:43 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/jordanrudessofficial/videos/vb.8717682988/10153448134877989/?type=2&theater&notif_t=live_video

There you go, he's already been live for half an hour though so if you don't want to miss it I guess it will be uploaded afterwards.

So far, he has teased the new album twice with words, but didn't play anything xD

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5346 on: January 10, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »
I really like the groovy dirty organs he just played, hope there will be something along those lines on the album!

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #5347 on: January 10, 2016, 01:40:03 PM »
Ah, looks like you need a FB account to view it.  I kept refreshing the main JR FB page (the part anyone can see without logging in) and wondering why nothing was happening.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5348 on: January 10, 2016, 01:49:41 PM »
This is some really cool stuff he's doing.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #5349 on: January 10, 2016, 02:32:30 PM »
He told in the stream there's a Montreal-based visual company that's doing all the visuals for the tour. Any ideas what company might that be?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline JMSE

« Reply #5350 on: January 10, 2016, 02:36:21 PM »

Yes!! I was trying to speak my mind on the fact that petrucci wrote all the lyrics (and how that isn't necessarily a bad thing), but you summed it all up well. I also thought of Ayreon regarding James' ability of bringing other people's characters to life. I've got a great feeling about the whole thing, for sure!

I agree. I've been in the camp of people wanting DT to break their formula for a while. I still have to listen to the album to fully see if they did so, but something like the way they wrote the album  seems very different than the jamming process they usually do. I remember from the RS interview JP saying that he brought the idea to the team fully developed in terms of the story, the characters, and his vision of how it'd work and everybody was on board with it.

I'm thinking MM and JM had freedom to insert their vision on how their instruments should sound throughout the album; which is no different than JP striking a cool chord or melody in a jam session and MM going "that's cool let me try this groove over that riff". 

I cannot wait to hear the final result 

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5351 on: January 10, 2016, 02:50:47 PM »
I don't think DT could've broken the formula more than by this album without going to play an entirely different class of music...

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #5352 on: January 10, 2016, 02:59:06 PM »
Here's the recording of today's streaming : https://www.facebook.com/JRfanclubTheWheel/posts/1120029388008310
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5353 on: January 10, 2016, 03:27:27 PM »
Monday will be a good day.

Because I will eat Lasagna.
But maybe we get something album related too?

Offline thosava

« Reply #5354 on: January 10, 2016, 03:36:51 PM »
Monday marks two weeks since the last update. It will surprise me if don't get anything tomorrow  :corn