Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200851 times)

Offline dream75

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #5180 on: January 08, 2016, 01:51:15 PM »
This should be a VERY fun week.  Looking forward to it.  :corn

I already finished my popcorn... :facepalm: ;D

:corn this is my 4th bag...  :sad:
:lol  Sorry.  But the week is not over yet...  :corn

Another day without news !!! The week is over now  :facepalm: :tdwn :censored

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #5181 on: January 08, 2016, 01:59:11 PM »

Still 3 hours of Friday left here (8 hours in NY, where DT are based), and Saturday and Sunday too.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #5182 on: January 08, 2016, 02:01:44 PM »
Well seeing as the 9th (tomorrow of course) is the day that those various magazines go on sale I truly believe that the floodgates of info will open on here and on the TA site too  :tup

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5183 on: January 08, 2016, 02:07:34 PM »
Well seeing as the 9th (tomorrow of course) is the day that those various magazines go on sale I truly believe that the floodgates of info will open on here and on the TA site too  :tup

Yeah, I think that makes sense.

Offline YouMakeMeSick

« Reply #5184 on: January 08, 2016, 02:26:50 PM »
This should be a VERY fun week.  Looking forward to it.  :corn

I already finished my popcorn... :facepalm: ;D

:corn this is my 4th bag...  :sad:
:lol  Sorry.  But the week is not over yet...  :corn

I hope nothing major has happened and that the album's release is not affected. If some updates haven't happened as they were originally scheduled, that can also mean that we could get them in shorter timespans in between for the next couple of weeks leading up to release date.
The owls are not what they seem...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5185 on: January 08, 2016, 02:36:47 PM »
Yeah, it's hard to say.  The schedule has been fluid and has changed repeatedly (as it was designed to do), but has stayed fairly close to schedule most of the time.  But there actually was something specifically scheduled for today, so I am surprised it has not happened.  I would keep eyes opened next week though.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #5186 on: January 08, 2016, 02:37:32 PM »
 5:43:57... that number!
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5187 on: January 08, 2016, 02:40:57 PM »
Yeah, it's hard to say.  The schedule has been fluid and has changed repeatedly (as it was designed to do), but has stayed fairly close to schedule most of the time.  But there actually was something specifically scheduled for today, so I am surprised it has not happened.  I would keep eyes opened next week though.

Well, today is not over yet is it?     :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5188 on: January 08, 2016, 02:44:07 PM »
   I would keep eyes opened next week though.

We've heard that before!

:neverusethis:

Seriously, I am really looking forward to this album. The anticipated use of James' range, piano, etc..have me very pumped.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5189 on: January 08, 2016, 02:45:16 PM »

No, but it's close to 5:00 p.m. on the East Coast, so I doubt we will get anything today if it hasn't happened yet.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5190 on: January 08, 2016, 02:47:14 PM »

We've heard that before!

Seriously, I am really looking forward to this album. The anticipated use of James' range, piano, etc..have me very pumped.

Jacked and pumped?  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5191 on: January 08, 2016, 02:50:53 PM »

We've heard that before!

Jacked and pumped?  Lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #5192 on: January 08, 2016, 02:55:11 PM »

No, but it's close to 5:00 p.m. on the East Coast, so I doubt we will get anything today if it hasn't happened yet.

"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #5193 on: January 08, 2016, 03:00:54 PM »
I'm a noob when it comes to bying CD's and such (I've never bought a CD in my life before, lol). Those ''HD tracks'' are something I've never heard before. I always thought when you buy CD, it's the best sounding version possible, and it's always better than listening to it on youtube, and such. But wait, you're telling me if you buy regular CD, you're actually not getting the best sounding version possible, or what? I'm confused now :S
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5194 on: January 08, 2016, 03:03:13 PM »
I'm a noob when it comes to bying CD's and such (I've never bought a CD in my life before, lol). Those ''HD tracks'' are something I've never heard before. I always thought when you buy CD, it's the best sounding version possible, and it's always better than listening to it on youtube, and such. But wait, you're telling me if you buy regular CD, you're actually not getting the best sounding version possible, or what? I'm confused now :S

Well, there's definitely a reason why people say vinyls have better quality sound than CDs. Think about that
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #5195 on: January 08, 2016, 03:27:11 PM »

Well, the HDtracks versions usually have a different mastering applied, so they sound more dynamic. They could release the same master on CDs, but the HDtracks is one more way to get more money out of the album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5196 on: January 08, 2016, 03:29:48 PM »
CDs should really be the best sound but then Death Magnetic.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5197 on: January 08, 2016, 03:31:16 PM »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5198 on: January 08, 2016, 03:32:17 PM »

Well, there's definitely a reason why people say vinyls have better quality sound than CDs. Think about that

... but just because people say that, it doesn't actually make it true by any stretch of the imagination

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5199 on: January 08, 2016, 03:33:22 PM »
Well, the HDtracks versions usually have a different mastering applied, so they sound more dynamic. They could release the same master on CDs, but the HDtracks is one more way to get more money out of the album.

Is there even a need for it this time around though? IIRC Blob said a few pages ago that one of the heaviest songs on the album had a dynamic range of DR8, which is pretty high by today's standards.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5200 on: January 08, 2016, 03:35:22 PM »
Other than the way James changes character, I'm most curious about JP's solos. I missed a beautiful and emotional Octavarium like solo in the last record. Something along the lines of Goodnight Kiss would also be great.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5201 on: January 08, 2016, 03:36:52 PM »
It's one more way for a revenue stream.   Think of it this way.  You see the new Star Wars in the theater then you see it again in IMAX 3D.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #5202 on: January 08, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
 :censored :censored :censored >:( >:(  Can the moderator be banned for getting our hopes up?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5203 on: January 08, 2016, 04:05:51 PM »

... but just because people say that, it doesn't actually make it true by any stretch of the imagination

We covered this on my music degree. CDs don't bother with the frequencies that humans can't hear ( 20hz-20,000hz ).

Records do have these freqs and they resonate sympathetically with the audible freqs making vinyl appear warmer to us.

But CD doesn't wear out over time or get dirty etc.

Offline TL

« Reply #5204 on: January 08, 2016, 04:07:15 PM »

CD is capable of sounding better than vinyl.
The thing is, many of the mixing/mastering decisions that make CDs sound bad literally can't be done on vinyl. Digital makes it possible to crank the volume well past the natural limits. If you used a master like that on vinyl, the needle would literally jump out of the groove. Vinyl basically forces the use of a decent mastering, or at least one that isn't over compressed.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5205 on: January 08, 2016, 04:34:07 PM »

We covered this on my music degree. CDs don't bother with the frequencies that humans can't hear ( 20hz-20,000hz ).

Records do have these freqs and they resonate sympathetically with the audible freqs making vinyl appear warmer to us.

But CD doesn't wear out over time or get dirty etc.

Didn't we already establish the fact that, aside from mastering, HD tracks are just a marketing gimmick?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5206 on: January 08, 2016, 05:30:07 PM »
I gotta say, when you're drunk as shit as I am right now, this thread is really confusing to read through.

The Achtunganshing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5207 on: January 08, 2016, 05:31:43 PM »
I gotta say, when you're drunk as shit as I am right now, this thread is really confusing to read through.

The Achtunganshing.

You should quote and interpret for us right now some of the posts.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5208 on: January 08, 2016, 05:33:53 PM »

The Achtunganshing.

Eintritt verboten?

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #5209 on: January 08, 2016, 05:35:48 PM »

The Achtunganshing.

Whahíbrido Pickingant

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5210 on: January 08, 2016, 06:03:59 PM »

The Achtunganshing.

You should quote and interpret for us right now some of the posts.

You got it.

It's one more way for a revenue stream.   Think of it this way.  You see the new Star Wars in the theater then you see it again in IMAX 3D.

This is obvouxly a metaphore for modern western consumerism.

This is a comment on the lmitations of human imagination. Deep shit.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5211 on: January 08, 2016, 06:05:01 PM »
 :lol

Perfect!!  Do more!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5212 on: January 08, 2016, 06:17:19 PM »
Don't do it, BlackInk. It's a :tiojorge:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5213 on: January 08, 2016, 06:17:45 PM »
After the fantastic Rolling Stone "reveal" I am kind of surprised how they are handling things so far.

What do you mean, "how they are handling things?"  Who is "they" and how are they not "handling things" properly?  ???

Exactly 50% or 6his sentence is in quotation marks, indicating a lack of self-confidence and ability to exprtess yourself using your own words.

Thisa post is made by a greek guy.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5214 on: January 08, 2016, 06:18:51 PM »
 :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens