Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200701 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #5145 on: January 08, 2016, 09:04:17 AM »
This should be a VERY fun week.  Looking forward to it.  :corn

I already finished my popcorn... :facepalm: ;D

:corn this is my 4th bag...  :sad:
:lol  Sorry.  But the week is not over yet...  :corn
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5146 on: January 08, 2016, 09:05:36 AM »
 :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5147 on: January 08, 2016, 09:06:06 AM »
I don't know why everyone is getting so worked up :lol

The album is out 3 weeks today. I have a full time job. Those 3 weeks will be gone in a flash.

You know what will make the wait even longer ?

Checking this thread 10 times a day.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5148 on: January 08, 2016, 09:13:12 AM »
A watched pot never boils...
Or is it, Pot watching boils down to never...
Never boil a watch in a pot..
A boil never watches pot
Boiling pots never watches... watches never boil pots...boiled pot never...watching boils...pot never...ahh fuck it!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5149 on: January 08, 2016, 09:15:58 AM »
As an experiment, I once sat and stared a pot down during the entire heating process until it finally boiled over.  I immediately screamed "BOOYAH!" directly into the pot and triumphantly roundhouse kicked it off the stove and across the room.  ...then I had to start a new pot before I could have tea.  That was really dumb.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5150 on: January 08, 2016, 09:18:10 AM »

The album is out 3 weeks today. I have a full time job. Those 3 weeks will be gone in a flash.

Actually, the wait will be the exact same length of time regardless of whether you click this thread. :)

Unless you're actually in some kind of vessel moving at near the speed of light to pass the time via time dilation, and using your computer and loading a webpage drains some power from the engines causing time to pass at a slower rate. In which case, disregard my comments and let me along for the ride through space and time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5151 on: January 08, 2016, 09:24:59 AM »
Unless you're actually in some kind of vessel moving at near the speed of light to pass the time via time dilation, and using your computer and loading a webpage drains some power from the engines causing time to pass at a slower rate. In which case, disregard my comments and let me along for the ride through space and time.
:clap:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #5152 on: January 08, 2016, 09:28:58 AM »
i actually can smell the upgrade!... it's almost here!
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5153 on: January 08, 2016, 09:30:19 AM »
It's not a problem and all, but you're about to release your most ambitious, and maybe complex, album ever, and your Fb account is preatty much promoting Vip packages and nothing more - except for the Rock Hard cover - twitter is just a repost from facebook, as it is Instragram, you've completely abandoned Arhys and Nefaryus Twitter accounts and the email thing, and your website (the main one) still has DT12 artwork as the background.

What i want to say is that from what "guys who have heard" seems like listeners will need to be introduced to this album by a lots of details about the story. The risk is that at the first listens, between the plot and the album, which is very long, lots of people could feel lost and the last thing i want for this album is to fail (comments on the net will come after the very first spin).

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5154 on: January 08, 2016, 09:41:45 AM »
Does anyone have that popcorn emote with the pile of bags and popcorn?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5155 on: January 08, 2016, 09:48:31 AM »

Oh the things you'll see !!!!

1. The outdoors !!

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #5156 on: January 08, 2016, 09:49:58 AM »

1. The outdoors !!

...what?
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5157 on: January 08, 2016, 09:50:40 AM »

1. The outdoors !!

No deal. I'll just wait until the 29th.

Stupid linear time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5158 on: January 08, 2016, 09:53:26 AM »

...what?

Ah you have a lot to learn about our regulars :p

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #5159 on: January 08, 2016, 10:00:59 AM »
Have you guys tried to click on the nomac's eyes on The Astonishing page?  :omg: nothing will happen

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5160 on: January 08, 2016, 10:01:15 AM »
It's not a problem and all, but you're about to release your most ambitious, and maybe complex, album ever, and your Fb account is preatty much promoting Vip packages and nothing more - except for the Rock Hard cover - twitter is just a repost from facebook, as it is Instragram, you've completely abandoned Arhys and Nefaryus Twitter accounts and the email thing, and your website (the main one) still has DT12 artwork as the background.

Agreed. After the fantastic Rolling Stone "reveal" I am kind of surprised how they are handling things so far. Not that it in any way detracts from their music, but it just seems a bit odd to me after the initial hype period.

Also, since I saw it mentioned somewhere in this thread; I dislike how they treat vinyl this time around, I have to pay about three times the amount I paid for their previous albums and Score, which is also 4 LP's, cost me only about ten bucks more than their regular releases. I mean, I get why the new album is more expansive than that and all, but this is ridiculous. Iron Maiden's 3-LP album Book of Souls with nice packaging and dedicated vinyl mastering cost me about 35 dollars, so yeah...

That said, I am hyped! Everything so far sounds great. Concept sounds silly, but many concept albums sound silly on paper. I'll let the performance speak for it.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5161 on: January 08, 2016, 10:02:54 AM »
Have you guys tried to click on the nomac's eyes on The Astonishing page?  :omg: nothing will happen
No, never once thought of it since they made that page, what a great idea, maybe they're clickable!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5162 on: January 08, 2016, 10:10:50 AM »
Man, you're expecting too much! I remember a time when the only way I could discover a new album was by going to the store and suddenly seeing it there on the shelves.

Offline thosava

« Reply #5163 on: January 08, 2016, 10:16:38 AM »
That seems so strange, not knowing that your favourite bands are releasing albums. Was there no way to find out? No magazines writing about upcoming albums and such?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5164 on: January 08, 2016, 10:17:54 AM »
After the fantastic Rolling Stone "reveal" I am kind of surprised how they are handling things so far.

What do you mean, "how they are handling things?"  Who is "they" and how are they not "handling things" properly?  ???

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #5165 on: January 08, 2016, 10:19:12 AM »
No, never once thought of it since they made that page, what a great idea, maybe they're clickable!

That's also what I naught... I mean thought. Anyway, while the clock is ticking and the updates have dialed down, there's still 3 weeks left. I think that leaves enough time for us to watch the band hype the new album

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5166 on: January 08, 2016, 10:24:28 AM »
That seems so strange, not knowing that your favourite bands are releasing albums. Was there no way to find out? No magazines writing about upcoming albums and such?

I remember that period very well... the man working in the record store I went to could sometimes tell you a week or so in advance that an album was coming but mostly you knew when you saw it in the store. Taking it to the listening post and giving it a first spin right then and there...

Good times....

Offline MegaDTSX

« Reply #5167 on: January 08, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »
I've got a feeling that today is january 8th.
Hope I'm right.
You are a prophet.

You could say he's....Astonishing.

Offline James.v6

« Reply #5168 on: January 08, 2016, 11:03:04 AM »
Hope I'm right.
You are a prophet.

You are THE Astonishing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5169 on: January 08, 2016, 11:04:28 AM »
Hope I'm right.
You are a prophet.

Well, YOU could say that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5170 on: January 08, 2016, 11:05:55 AM »
I haven't had you yet so I can't say Hef.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5171 on: January 08, 2016, 11:18:21 AM »
I haven't had you yet so I can't say Hef.
You've had me.

In your dreams.

But enough about that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MegaDTSX

« Reply #5172 on: January 08, 2016, 11:25:07 AM »
I just wanted to take a moment to thank the guys that have been allowed to listen to the reviewable/promo copies of the album earlier than the rest of us.

You guys have done a great job of containing yourselves and holding back information you cannot reveal, despite many of us trying to pick your brain for stuff.  It would be super tempting to just share info to discuss what you've heard and you've all done a great job keeping it in and revealing what ever little things you are allowed to reveal.

Great job!

Offline Frankgate

« Reply #5173 on: January 08, 2016, 11:30:47 AM »
And tomorrow is saturday. January 9th.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #5174 on: January 08, 2016, 11:32:19 AM »
And tomorrow is saturday. January 9th.

You're kidding..?! I thought it was Thursday January 7th yesterday!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5175 on: January 08, 2016, 12:00:40 PM »
After the fantastic Rolling Stone "reveal" I am kind of surprised how they are handling things so far.

What do you mean, "how they are handling things?"  Who is "they" and how are they not "handling things" properly?  ???

Oh, just the quote I replied to. It doesn't really bother me or anything, but I guess with the way they revealed it my expectations were just different. I did not mean this like the release build-up is bad or anything, nor where my expectations sky high, but after setting the stages, certain marketing things just felt a bit underutilized to me I guess (twitter, the voting). Not anything major, however. But maybe that is because I sometimes also follow releases in other media, such as games, series and film  (they are different for obvious reasons though, I know  ;)). And I rarely actively follow CD releases to this extent. The website is cool though, and I like that they gave each character a reveal.

And in regards of DTF: the people in this thread do make me look forward to this a lot!

The only thing that does bother me is the vinyl release, since that is the standard format of me and it seems to be very popular nowadays (a lot of  record stores here have vinyl sections outgrowing CD sections).  That and I hope they do not suddenly announce a better sounding version on HD tracks after the fact, like last time (and before that as well? can't remember). Though I do not buy HD tracks myself.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #5176 on: January 08, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »
Do we think there's any particular reason that the clock has been left last with such a long gap between the last character reveal?

I'd assume it's to screw with everyone asking about it.   :biggrin:

:rollin

Clock guy may be Neil Peart - Clockwork Angels
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #5177 on: January 08, 2016, 01:24:17 PM »

Actually, the wait will be the exact same length of time regardless of whether you click this thread. :)

Or if loading this thread in your computer makes you closer to a super massive black hole in which case the time will pass slower.  ;D

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #5178 on: January 08, 2016, 01:36:30 PM »
Things must be really bad if the tightly regulated what we know so far thread has also derailed into panty/pastey conversations.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #5179 on: January 08, 2016, 01:43:20 PM »
Besides the final character, map piece, and the two locked videos on The Astonishing's page, I expect nothing else to be released before January 29th. I feel like these expectations will produce the best results.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies