Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200932 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #4585 on: January 02, 2016, 04:29:46 AM »
That is why I said, " I am NOT referring to anyone specifically..."  I was speaking in general terms.  :coolio

Cool? :hat

It's just that the general terms includes me and I was just defending my choice. But it's cool.  :hat

ok so then why the hell are you going to divide your double album so poorly

i haven't seen a split this bad since The Ocean's Precambrian  :lol

Porcupine Tree's The Incident is quite bad with this, although it does seem to have its reasons considering it isn't even double length and the second disk is more like an extra EP.

Say what?   The four songs on the second disk was not part of the song cycle.   Come on man.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4586 on: January 02, 2016, 04:35:08 AM »
That is why I said, " I am NOT referring to anyone specifically..."  I was speaking in general terms.  :coolio

Cool? :hat

It's just that the general terms includes me and I was just defending my choice. But it's cool.  :hat

ok so then why the hell are you going to divide your double album so poorly

i haven't seen a split this bad since The Ocean's Precambrian  :lol

Porcupine Tree's The Incident is quite bad with this, although it does seem to have its reasons considering it isn't even double length and the second disk is more like an extra EP.

Say what?   The four songs on the second disk was not part of the song cycle.   Come on man.

I know that. So?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4587 on: January 02, 2016, 04:54:44 AM »
So you'd rather not have 4 extra songs separate from the song cycle because it's an unbalanced double disk?  That's just plain nuts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #4588 on: January 02, 2016, 04:55:22 AM »
Plot twist: The character with no lines is Gabriel.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4589 on: January 02, 2016, 04:59:18 AM »
Plot twist: The character with no lines is Gabriel.

JP did mention that James should sound 25 years old when singing his parts though. Unless it's just: "Laaaaaaa, lalaaAaaaaaa!" xD

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4590 on: January 02, 2016, 05:00:24 AM »
Indeed, Petrucci confirmed that the following characters will have a "role":

- Gabriel
- Faythe
- Arabelle
- Lord Nafaryus
- Arhys

So that leaves Clock Person, the Empress and Daryus. One of these three won't have a singing part.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4591 on: January 02, 2016, 05:01:02 AM »
So you'd rather not have 4 extra songs separate from the song cycle because it's an unbalanced double disk?  That's just plain nuts.

I didn't say there was a problem with it, just simply stating that it's an uneven double disc album. I don't see what's nuts about stating the obvious.

Offline palmeiras

« Reply #4592 on: January 02, 2016, 05:06:20 AM »
Will be going  to have crazy instrumentals like the dance of eternity?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4593 on: January 02, 2016, 05:07:07 AM »
Quite bad insinuateshape that you think it's wrong.  Just seems like an odd comment when those song are just extra that is not part of the first disk.  The CD cost nothing extra for the 4 songs so I'd assume most would be happy with that.  Not complaining.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4594 on: January 02, 2016, 05:16:05 AM »

Apparently not.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4595 on: January 02, 2016, 05:18:21 AM »
Quite bad insinuateshape that you think it's wrong.  Just seems like an odd comment when those song are just extra that is not part of the first disk.  The CD cost nothing extra for the 4 songs so I'd assume most would be happy with that.  Not complaining.

I used the wrong wording then. I should've just said a large divide instead of 'bad'.

I wouldn't think so. I would guess that the two non-NOMAC instrumentals (Dystopian Overture and Entr'acte 2285 according to noxon) would be more based on presenting recurring themes like Overture 1928 considering that they begin the disc they are on (ignoring Descent of the NOMACS).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 06:08:06 AM by Enigmachine »

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4596 on: January 02, 2016, 05:30:51 AM »
Indeed, Petrucci confirmed that the following characters will have a "role":

- Gabriel
- Faythe
- Arabelle
- Lord Nafaryus
- Arhys

So that leaves Clock Person, the Empress and Daryus. One of these three won't have a singing part.

You forgot Evangeline. That's also a good bet for a non speaking role.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4597 on: January 02, 2016, 05:34:48 AM »
You're right, the Empress is Arabelle, I mixed them up.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #4598 on: January 02, 2016, 05:37:26 AM »
I'd say Clock guy, or Evangeline, although there is a portion of TGOM which might be sung by her:

There was a god among us
Who's seen the writing on the wall
He is the revolution
He'll be the one to save us all
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4599 on: January 02, 2016, 05:45:15 AM »
Oh, you'll hear it when James switches characters in songs...

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #4600 on: January 02, 2016, 05:47:52 AM »

So he doesn't in TGOM?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4601 on: January 02, 2016, 05:50:02 AM »

So he doesn't in TGOM?

TGOM only has one character, excluding narration.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4602 on: January 02, 2016, 05:55:55 AM »

Ahhhh.... I want to hear it already :hat

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #4603 on: January 02, 2016, 05:57:56 AM »

So he doesn't in TGOM?

TGOM only has one character, excluding narration.

I guess it's Arhys then. "My brother Gabriel"

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #4604 on: January 02, 2016, 06:09:28 AM »
I love fantasy. I'm also pretty convinced that I'll really dislike this album overall. Everything I've read about this so far is soooo cringey.

I'll still give it a chance of course, but all of this silliness might make it more difficult for me to enjoy it.

Have heard one track of 34 = pretty convinced you'll dislike the album. Solid rationale.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4605 on: January 02, 2016, 06:39:15 AM »
I wonder what would've happened if the same type of PR-scheme was used for SFAM.

Picture of "The Hypnotherapist" released:  "More like the rapist, amiright?" - "Well, it's in his title, innit?".

Picture of "Victoria" released: "Wow, she looks... wait, is that a 1920s hairstyle? Wtf is this, some kind of mafia/prohibition story? I don't get it."

Picture of "Edward" released: "Huh, whats up with the suit? He looks like straight out of the godfather. This IS a mafia story. DT has lost it. I mean, I know MP is a movie buff, but ripping of the godfather? I don't even like mafia movies!"

Location revealed - Echo's Hill: "What does that even mean?? It's like they have no knowledge of stuff that's not sound related. "echo". Geddit.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4606 on: January 02, 2016, 06:47:32 AM »
 :lol

It's only funny because it's true.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lightbug

« Reply #4607 on: January 02, 2016, 06:54:25 AM »
I wonder what would've happened if the same type of PR-scheme was used for SFAM.

Picture of "The Hypnotherapist" released:  "More like the rapist, amiright?" - "Well, it's in his title, innit?".

Picture of "Victoria" released: "Wow, she looks... wait, is that a 1920s hairstyle? Wtf is this, some kind of mafia/prohibition story? I don't get it."

Picture of "Edward" released: "Huh, whats up with the suit? He looks like straight out of the godfather. This IS a mafia story. DT has lost it. I mean, I know MP is a movie buff, but ripping of the godfather? I don't even like mafia movies!"

Location revealed - Echo's Hill: "What does that even mean?? It's like they have no knowledge of stuff that's not sound related. "echo". Geddit.

:rollin

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #4608 on: January 02, 2016, 07:32:48 AM »
I can't put my finger on how Petrucci said that "Gabriel" will sound like a 25 yo LaBrie. I mean, if I he can pull that off, wow...
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #4609 on: January 02, 2016, 08:03:26 AM »
My only hope for this album is that there will be moments of epicness.  I don't mean epic as in a long song, I mean the emotional, building, crescendos found in Grand Finale/Losing Time, Finally Free and at the end of Octavarium and Illumination Theory.

This is what Dream Theater do better than any other band on the planet (IMHO).
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #4610 on: January 02, 2016, 08:04:57 AM »
I can't put my finger on how Petrucci said that "Gabriel" will sound like a 25 yo LaBrie. I mean, if I he can pull that off, wow...

Oh that's easy. JP reverse shreds and turns back time.

I hope we get the final character/map reveals next week. There seems to be a pretty good chance of it happening, since we're inside four weeks until release day. What I'm REALLY curious about are those videos, and the significance (If there is any) of the big NOMAC with the clickable eyes. I'm guessing the videos aren't studio clips, since that would impact the immersion of the story they've created. It also seems unlikely that they would be music videos. We're so close to the album, and if an actual single were to be released, it probably would have been by now.

I wonder if maybe the videos are some kind of message from each side of the story, like a motivational speech or a call to arms from the Empire and the Rebels. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to pull off, right? You could have a narrator (James?) make a case for each side while showing pictures of the world around them. It would be an easy way to feature more of the amazing art that was created for this story, and it would get the fans even more hyped.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4611 on: January 02, 2016, 08:20:51 AM »
My only hope for this album is that there will be moments of epicness.  I don't mean epic as in a long song, I mean the emotional, building, crescendos found in Grand Finale/Losing Time, Finally Free and at the end of Octavarium and Illumination Theory.

After a few listens I got that 'epic' feeling with the choir section of TGOM, and I think there will be lots of moments that I would consider epic from the things I've read. Don't agree that DT are the absolute best at this but they sure are up there.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4612 on: January 02, 2016, 08:30:19 AM »
Fair enough. I was replying more to the general notion of people being too critical about this or that relating to the upcoming album. I think if some people aren't onboard with the initial idea, they're probably more likely to me more critical of what follows.

I don't disagree with that. Once that seed of cynicism is planted it doesn't take much for it to grow.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4613 on: January 02, 2016, 08:31:07 AM »
What was the whole TGOM situation?  I thought Rolling Stone premiered it and it was all official?

It leaked a few hours before that happened.

How did I miss this?!

You just missed another leak, too.

Should that be in green font?

No, I actually came back from the bathroom right before I posted that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4614 on: January 02, 2016, 08:37:44 AM »
One of those guys who uses his cell phone without washing I see. :lol

Offline rab7

« Reply #4615 on: January 02, 2016, 08:57:03 AM »

Don't agree that DT are the absolute best at this but they sure are up there.

Who's the best in your opinion? Not arguing, I just want to expand my musical library.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4616 on: January 02, 2016, 09:14:20 AM »

Don't agree that DT are the absolute best at this but they sure are up there.
Who's the best in your opinion? Not arguing, I just want to expand my musical library.

Probably not stuff you've never heard of before.. but some of my favorite epics (again, pretty subjective term) include songs of these artists:

Fates Warning
Symphony X
The Mars Volta
Haken
Mastodon
Gojira
Alter Bridge
Rush
Iced Earth
Avenged Sevenfold

These all have at least one 'epic' song that I would include in a list of all-time favorites, by no means I find all of these better than all of DT epics, DT is still one of the most consistent in this category.

I've also been getting some great epics I've never heard before last month which showed me that there's way more good stuff out there.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #4617 on: January 02, 2016, 09:23:47 AM »

Oh really?  :biggrin: :lol

"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4618 on: January 02, 2016, 09:38:53 AM »

Oh really?  :biggrin: :lol

It will be interesting to see how well James executes the changes in character. If it's just falsetto for Faythe, TDEN esque vocals for Nafaryus and so on, that will leave the characters feeling a bit one-dimensional. It seems pretty difficult to be able to interpret 7 characters as individuals and still give each one some emotional variety without feeling strange.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #4619 on: January 02, 2016, 09:39:14 AM »
 Faythe Labrie :rollin