Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200940 times)

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #1890 on: November 27, 2015, 03:22:38 PM »
How do Mods feel about us posting links to youtube clips that are *clearly* fakes and we post them as such ?

I think it's funny hearing what people post on YT with comments neatly disabled - and pass off as new DT.

I'm in!  :tup
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1891 on: November 27, 2015, 03:30:05 PM »
No, and certainly not in this thread.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1892 on: November 27, 2015, 03:36:51 PM »
Maybe they'll pull a Pain of Salvation and premier their new concept album live before releasing the CD.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #1893 on: November 27, 2015, 04:00:15 PM »
Wether it's (Astonishing) a part 2 to anything is another question, but do you think we'll see some continuity with past works on this album? Or will it be closed off completely as it's own work?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1894 on: November 27, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »
Wether it's (Astonishing) a part 2 to anything is another question, but do you think we'll see some continuity with past works on this album? Or will it be closed off completely as it's own work?

I think the album itself will be in a vacuum. However - I don't completely rule out hints to previous works.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #1895 on: November 27, 2015, 04:08:31 PM »
New map segment!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #1896 on: November 27, 2015, 04:09:57 PM »
New map segment!

I noticed that too, speculation away!!!!!  :corn
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1897 on: November 27, 2015, 04:15:49 PM »
Not so much speculation, just like to throw this out there: Crooked Lake and Bullhead Corners are awesome names.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1898 on: November 27, 2015, 04:17:08 PM »
I like how all three map segments have a unique colour scheme and yet the two parts at the right seem to transition smoothly.

Offline YouMakeMeSick

« Reply #1899 on: November 27, 2015, 04:26:04 PM »
Not so much speculation, just like to throw this out there: Crooked Lake and Bullhead Corners are awesome names.

"Don't cross the Crooked Lake".
The owls are not what they seem...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1900 on: November 27, 2015, 04:36:56 PM »

"Don't cross the Crooked Lake".

:biggrin:  This Dying Sail

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1901 on: November 27, 2015, 04:37:24 PM »
Not so much speculation, just like to throw this out there:

... I'm predicting...

The Map will be fully revealed.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1902 on: November 27, 2015, 04:41:02 PM »
... I'm predicting...
Either one or both of the video's will be
revealed
by mid December.

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1903 on: November 27, 2015, 04:47:16 PM »
Actually I think the two glowing Nomac eyes will link to streams of Acts I or II closer to album time.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1904 on: November 27, 2015, 08:02:23 PM »
With the music vs. noise theme, I think this album would not be sci-fi but more of a metaphor using fantasy.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1905 on: November 27, 2015, 08:20:19 PM »
There's an area called "Borderland". Video game confirmed.  :lol

But seriously, I'm loving the steady stream of updates. It keeps the hype level high, and I hope it continues to rise as the album release draws closer.

I'm itching to hear new music  :) I'm guessing that won't happen until after the map and the characters are fully revealed, though... Can there even be a single for such a project?
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1906 on: November 27, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »
I know we've moved on in the discussion since the new characters have been revealed, but I just want to add, with an average track length of 4 minutes on Act 1, all it would take is 4-5 transition/NOMAC sound effects tracks of 1-2 minutes on that side to make room for two or three 8-10-minute tracks, etc.

I mean, here's The Wall's layout, and this ended up being 80 minutes total for BOTH sides combined, 26 tracks total:

In the Flesh?
3:20
The Thin Ice
2:30
Another Brick in the Wall, Part 1
3:11
The Happiest Days of Our Lives
1:51
Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2
4:01
Mother
5:34
Goodbye Blue Sky
2:47
Empty Spaces
2:07
Young Lust
3:31
One of My Turns
3:35
Don't Leave Me Now
4:17
Another Brick in the Wall, Part 3
1:43
Goodbye Cruel World
1:15
Hey You
4:39
Is There Anybody Out There?
2:43
Nobody Home
3:27
Vera
1:36
Bring the Boys Back Home
1:29
Comfortably Numb
6:26
The Show Must Go On
1:38
In the Flesh
Run Like Hell
3:03
Waiting for the Worms
4:00
Stop
0:32
The Trial
5:22
Outside the Wall
1:44
Master of Ceremonies
1:16
What Shall We Do Now?
The Last Few Bricks
3:28

The Astonishing will have 8 more tracks, but 80 more minutes to work with (assuming the concert length of 2 hours and 40 minutes is for the whole album and nothing more).  That's basically The Wall's layout (which already has a 5 and 6 minute song) plus 8 additional 10 minute songs.  Or 4 additional 5-minute songs and 4 additional 15-minute songs...you get the picture.

So it's absolutely not a foregone conclusion that we won't see any longer songs on this album.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #1907 on: November 27, 2015, 09:23:13 PM »
Great news everybody, but when do we suspect a single will be released? (if they do....)

Something before january is my bet, lol.

Yeah I agree . . . sometime mid to late December is when I think it'll be released . . .

6 o'clock on a Christmas Morning!
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1908 on: November 27, 2015, 09:28:24 PM »
That's as good a time as any.  You know damn well fans would go apeshit over a 6:00 Christmas Morning release of a single.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1909 on: November 27, 2015, 10:03:17 PM »
Oh man I'd go crazy if that happened!!! :lol

I hope they're looking at the forums because that would be a great idea!

But what timezone?  :huh:

"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1910 on: November 27, 2015, 10:04:43 PM »
I know we've moved on in the discussion since the new characters have been revealed, but I just want to add, with an average track length of 4 minutes on Act 1, all it would take is 4-5 transition/NOMAC sound effects tracks of 1-2 minutes on that side to make room for two or three 8-10-minute tracks, etc.

I mean, here's The Wall's layout, and this ended up being 80 minutes total for BOTH sides combined, 26 tracks total:

In the Flesh?
3:20
The Thin Ice
2:30
Another Brick in the Wall, Part 1
3:11
The Happiest Days of Our Lives
1:51
Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2
4:01
Mother
5:34
Goodbye Blue Sky
2:47
Empty Spaces
2:07
Young Lust
3:31
One of My Turns
3:35
Don't Leave Me Now
Another Brick in the Wall, Part 3
Goodbye Cruel World
1:15
Hey You
4:39
Is There Anybody Out There?
2:43
Nobody Home
3:27
Vera
1:36
Bring the Boys Back Home
1:29
Comfortably Numb
6:26
The Show Must Go On
1:38
In the Flesh
Run Like Hell
3:03
Waiting for the Worms
4:00
Stop
0:32
The Trial
5:22
Outside the Wall
1:44
Master of Ceremonies
1:16
What Shall We Do Now?
The Last Few Bricks
3:28

The Astonishing will have 8 more tracks, but 80 more minutes to work with (assuming the concert length of 2 hours and 40 minutes is for the whole album and nothing more).  That's basically The Wall's layout (which already has a 5 and 6 minute song) plus 8 additional 10 minute songs.  Or 4 additional 5-minute songs and 4 additional 15-minute songs...you get the picture.

So it's absolutely not a foregone conclusion that we won't see any longer songs on this album.

Finally someone does the math for us lazy brains . . . thank you!!! :hefdaddy

That's great to hear  ;D
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1911 on: November 27, 2015, 10:12:40 PM »

Yorkeland, of course!

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1912 on: November 27, 2015, 10:17:16 PM »
Oh man I'd go crazy if that happened!!! :lol

I hope they're looking at the forums because that would be a great idea!

This slow-drip of information about the new album has been elite-level trolling/teasing of fans, especially with all the nuggets of information like the year 2285 with the year numbering change starting in 2028, etc.

If they've gone this far, they might as well.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1913 on: November 27, 2015, 10:49:51 PM »
I'd say is more likely we do have 10+ minute songs and even longer songs than we haven't.. Obviously they're not going to release an album full of short tracks.. Remember is DT after all.. This is how I feel is going to be:

ACT I - 20 tracks

-Seven 1 minute songs
-Five 2 minute songs
-Three 3 minute songs
-Two 5-6 minute songs
-One 7-8 minute song
-One 11-13 minute song
-One 17-20 minute song

Total length: from 71 to 79 minutes..

ACT II - 14 tracks

-Four 1 minute songs
-Two 2 minute songs
-One 3 minute song
-Three 5-6 minute songs
-Two 7-8 minute songs
-One 11-13 minute song
-One 17-21 minute song

Total length: from 68 to 79 minutes..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1914 on: November 27, 2015, 11:00:02 PM »
That's a total of 12 of the 20 songs on the first CD being ~2 minutes or less, and 15 being ~3 minutes or less.  That would definitely be more like the second disc of The Wall, then, with over half of the tracks being short/transition tracks.

I'm kind of hoping we get a little more than 5 legit songs of the first album, and that it's a little more balanced than that.  But it could work if there are 2 or so "pairs" of smaller songs that sort of blend together as one, like Empty Spaces/Young Lust, or like on Dark Side of the Moon: Speak to Me/Breathe and Brain Damage/Eclipse.

Or from a DT context, Vacant/Stream of Consciousness and Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1915 on: November 27, 2015, 11:11:45 PM »
But I'm giving you 12 songs between 5 and 21! minutes.. That's more songs that they have done in any of their previous albums, except SFaM.. I think it's a lot.. And, plus that, we have the short tracks..

I think no one can complain about it if it's something like that..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1916 on: November 27, 2015, 11:17:13 PM »
For me, I think the less "real" songs the better. The only longer "epic" the album needs is Astonishing to finish it off, and I think a smaller number of substantial songs with a lot of short bridging/story tracks will be a lot more memorable than 40 legit shorter songs.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #1917 on: November 27, 2015, 11:28:30 PM »
Lets hope they don't pull a sly one, where all tracks are 2.00  :rollin
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1918 on: November 27, 2015, 11:30:49 PM »
But I'm giving you 12 songs between 5 and 21! minutes.. That's more songs that they have done in any of their previous albums, except SFaM.. I think it's a lot.. And, plus that, we have the short tracks..

I think no one can complain about it if it's something like that..

That's true.  If you throw in at least two "pairs" of shorter songs forming in effect one longer song, then we have a deal.  ;D

If there's too many of those short tracks that go nowhere, it gets boring and annoying, because most of the time, good music takes at least some time to develop.  On The Wall, Goodbye Blue Sky and Vera are really good despite this, but most of the other short tracks that don't pair up with a longer song are skippable filler.

At the same time, I simply do not believe a band can come up with 34 album-worthy 4 minute songs in about a year's time in the studio.  Nobody's that much of a creative genius, even DT.  If these really are all independent songs in and of themselves, it's almost a certainty that a good chunk of them should have seen the cutting room floor.

I hope it's somewhere in between.  Despite having 26 "tracks," The Wall has only 6-8 songs or song-pairs.  They could have gotten more out of 80 minutes of music.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #1919 on: November 28, 2015, 12:48:19 AM »
That's as good a time as any.  You know damn well fans would go apeshit over a 6:00 Christmas Morning release of a single.

THIS!
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1920 on: November 28, 2015, 03:33:49 AM »
I'd say is more likely we do have 10+ minute songs and even longer songs than we haven't.. Obviously they're not going to release an album full of short tracks.. Remember is DT after all.. This is how I feel is going to be:

ACT I - 20 tracks

-Seven 1 minute songs
-Five 2 minute songs
-Three 3 minute songs
-Two 5-6 minute songs
-One 7-8 minute song
-One 11-13 minute song
-One 17-20 minute song

Total length: from 71 to 79 minutes..

ACT II - 14 tracks

-Four 1 minute songs
-Two 2 minute songs
-One 3 minute song
-Three 5-6 minute songs
-Two 7-8 minute songs
-One 11-13 minute song
-One 17-21 minute song

Total length: from 68 to 79 minutes..

You would have to consider though that there may be a bunch of tracks (sound effects, talking etc) that help bridge the story that are well under the minute mark. Think 'Drones' by Muse for example, where the track 'Drill Sergeant' is 21 seconds of a Drill Sergeant (surprise, surprise) yelling and leading into the 3rd song 'Psycho'. And later in the album, JFK is simply samples of about 54 seconds or the like. There may be many of these type of story-telling tracks that are short and concise, allowing for more longer tracks. The NOMAC stuff may just be 10-15 seconds of NOMAC sounds (whatever that ends up being) that simply signify their presence or departure etc... I just think that it's so open at the moment, with so many options, that trying to over analyse it too much gives me a stomach ache..  :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:44:48 AM by jayvee3 »

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1921 on: November 28, 2015, 04:06:44 AM »
Remember, this is very different from anything DT has ever done. All bets are off.

I think the longest track you'll see on the disc is right around the 10 minute mark, and it's at the end of Act 2. The rest will be 3-6 minutes long, aside from the NOMACS tracks which will be half a minute to two minutes long. Some of the tracks will be kinda like through my words/fatal tragedy, but the vast majority of the tracks will be averaging 4 minutes. What we will see is a lot of repeating themes. Remember, this is a rock opera! It doesn't need a lot of long songs, because the short songs is a part of the whole.

If you expect epics going in to this album, you WILL be disappointed.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1922 on: November 28, 2015, 04:18:21 AM »

Unless you count the whole concept as one big Epic...

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1923 on: November 28, 2015, 04:36:32 AM »
Remember, this is very different from anything DT has ever done. All bets are off.

I think the longest track you'll see on the disc is right around the 10 minute mark, and it's at the end of Act 2. The rest will be 3-6 minutes long, aside from the NOMACS tracks which will be half a minute to two minutes long. Some of the tracks will be kinda like through my words/fatal tragedy, but the vast majority of the tracks will be averaging 4 minutes. What we will see is a lot of repeating themes. Remember, this is a rock opera! It doesn't need a lot of long songs, because the short songs is a part of the whole.

I'm not so sure why everyone wants a big epic on a concept album anyway, because SfaM didn't really have an epic and it's considered one of their best albums. I'm repeating what I said earlier in the thread, but if they are cutting song lengths down further, I think we would probably getting more short songs that feel vast despite not being an epic like TtT, Surrounded, TMW / FT, TBP and StR. However, I do think that there is a possibility of longer songs if the NOMAC tracks are about 30 seconds each and if there are some 1 - 3 minute transition songs that group up with a longer song, there could be a possibility of a few tracks reaching above ten minutes or more tracks in the 8 - 9 minute range.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #1924 on: November 28, 2015, 04:55:50 AM »
Well SFAM had Home and Finally Free, which even though they're not exactly epics, they're still above 10 minutes which I don't think we should complain about (if it's the same case for this album).  What bothers me more are those less than 3 minute songs that lead directly into another, or they have empty space and sound effects.  SFAM pulled it off by having a very emotional story that flowed perfectly, not to mention only Regression and Through My Words were the only intro songs.  This story could surprise me, but by the looks of it, it seems more fantasy based which doesn't pull me in as much.  Also, there's one thing when you have a small "intro song" or two to bridge the gap, but when it gets out of hand like Ayreon's "The Theory of Everything" or Linkin Park's "A Thousand Suns", I lose interest because the whole album might as well be condensed into like 6-8 songs.

I'll just have to see how the whole story/album plays out, I guess. Still remaining optimistic because it's Dream Theater.