Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200715 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #1610 on: November 24, 2015, 03:34:50 PM »
*snip*

So much for original ideas.  Not looking forward to this album even in the slightest.

Says it isn't original. Hasn't heard one note or one lyric. Seems legit.

Also, I'll just go ahead and post the new tweet from Arhys:
"Heed not the deceit, The Empire has marked your commander as an outlaw. No amount of lies can stop us!"

Based on what I've heard from the previous album, the title of the album before that, and the cover of the new album.  Seems to be a trend developing.  Of course I'll eventually find out when it's released.  Nevertheless, doesn't really give me much to look forward to.  Would rather wait 5 more years for the next Symphony X album. :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1611 on: November 24, 2015, 03:35:53 PM »
Massive all powerful orbs is hardly a new idea. Phantasm. The Prisoner.

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1612 on: November 24, 2015, 03:46:13 PM »

Cool thanks for the facts!

FTFY !

( forum meme )  ;D

Looks like I have a lot to learn lol
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1613 on: November 24, 2015, 03:54:47 PM »
For the promo for Live at Luna Park - Over The Edge news updates would get posted here and everyone would reply

Thanks to Over The Edge for the facts !

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1614 on: November 24, 2015, 04:08:21 PM »
Or post something like this,

Thanks to Kotowboy for posting about that fact! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1615 on: November 24, 2015, 04:15:28 PM »
Or post something like this,

Thanks to Kotowboy for posting about that fact! :lol

And don't forget the crying girl meme !

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1616 on: November 24, 2015, 04:23:42 PM »
haha I see now . . . Yep thanks to Kotowboy!  :lol

And yet another internet thread I've somehow managed to move completely off topic - sorry bout that xD

Anyways really cool forum you all have here, def gonna stick around a while longer!

Now back to the DT album discussion ;)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1617 on: November 24, 2015, 04:25:30 PM »
You just missed the album discussion, need to go back about 45 pages for that.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1618 on: November 24, 2015, 04:35:52 PM »

And yet another internet thread I've somehow managed to move completely off topic - sorry bout that xD

Anyways really cool forum you all have here, def gonna stick around a while longer!

What are your thoughts on the concept of the album? It seems to be a really divisive thing where most people either embrace it or hate it with very few people in the middle. I embrace the idea as I like Rhapsody of Fire, so concept cheese is hardly going to bother me if the music is awesome.

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1619 on: November 24, 2015, 04:45:33 PM »

What are your thoughts on the concept of the album? It seems to be a really divisive thing where most people either embrace it or hate it with very few people in the middle. I embrace the idea as I like Rhapsody of Fire, so concept cheese is hardly going to bother me if the music is awesome.

Yeah I've seen some of the arguments on here  :lol

I'm always excited for a concept album - as soon as I heard this would be one it was like a dream come true (as I am a younger fan and was very young at the time SFaM came out). To be honest I'm not the hugest fan of sci-fi stuff and the like, but you know what it's Dream Theater - I know they're going to do something awesome with it. So I'm excited not just for the music, but the story as well. Just like Symphony X with all the mythological stuff - that might not be some people's thing but the music is so good it kind of makes you a fan of the story anyways. So yes I'm embracing it - can't wait till they reveal more of the story!

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1620 on: November 24, 2015, 04:48:04 PM »
You just missed the album discussion, need to go back about 45 pages for that.

:lol :rollin

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1621 on: November 24, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »
Yeah I've seen some of the arguments on here  :lol

I'm always excited for a concept album - as soon as I heard this would be one it was like a dream come true (as I am a younger fan and was very young at the time SFaM came out). To be honest I'm not the hugest fan of sci-fi stuff and the like, but you know what it's Dream Theater - I know they're going to do something awesome with it. So I'm excited not just for the music, but the story as well. Just like Symphony X with all the mythological stuff - that might not be some people's thing but the music is so good it kind of makes you a fan of the story anyways. So yes I'm embracing it - can't wait till they reveal more of the story!

It's interesting how with many concept albums, on paper they sound either ridiculous or impossible to pull off but the end result is always enhanced so much by the quality of the music. I bet this will be the case for the new album.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1622 on: November 24, 2015, 05:08:32 PM »

The interesting thing is, I'm loving this concept yet I absolutely hate Rhapsody of Fire, Avantasia and I'll throw in Final Fantasy (since I saw some people mentioned games somewhere). I also don't like Pink Floyd *ducks behind a rock* but idk, I think DT can do it without making me cringe :D

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1623 on: November 24, 2015, 05:13:59 PM »
It's interesting how with many concept albums, on paper they sound either ridiculous or impossible to pull off but the end result is always enhanced so much by the quality of the music. I bet this will be the case for the new album.

I agree! Definitely something ambitious for DT (from the story to the fact that there's 34 SONGS!!!) but in the end Dream Theater will be Dream Theater  ;) . . . so I'm betting on this being a fan favorite!

Metropolis is one of my favorites by the band personally so I can imagine what how much I'll like this . . . we already know that it'll be the longest album to date so we'll have plenty of material.

Some of the songs I really can't wait to hear . . . Astonishing of course is a must, and a part of me is wishing that Digital Discord is the next Dance of Eternity - just the perfect name for it!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1624 on: November 24, 2015, 05:16:08 PM »
Anyone here remembers how was it when SFAM was going to be launched?
Did you know it was concept?
How were your thoughts then about it?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1625 on: November 24, 2015, 05:32:34 PM »
I don't care if it's a concept album if the songs and production are both great.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1626 on: November 24, 2015, 05:42:42 PM »
I don't care if it's a concept album if the songs and production are both great.

Same. I really don't care/like the concept of SFAM for my lack of religious inclinations, but I love the album. I hope the opposite doesn't happen this time, because I'm liking the concept xD

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1627 on: November 24, 2015, 05:50:04 PM »
Yeah that's all that matters in the end, whether it's good or not; rather have just a bunch of terrific songs than a concept album that's no good. Although it's still always nice once in a while to have a really ambitious project like this - I personally feel it brings out the best in bands when it succeeds!

And yeah, SFaM was not an award-winning concept but still amazing music. We'll just have to see how the music turns out on this one - I have high hopes ;)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1628 on: November 24, 2015, 06:07:36 PM »
I really, really hope they plan on bringing a full "Astonishing" show to the state, especially if there's an orchestra/etc. involved with the live production. However, judging by where they're playing in Europe, I have little faith that they'll decide to hit the southeast US this time around...

No, they will be touring the same cities as last year in the US, then fly over the Southeast US to Cuba, then to Central and South America.  ;D  I have faith that they will hit Atlanta this time.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1629 on: November 24, 2015, 06:11:59 PM »
I really, really hope they plan on bringing a full "Astonishing" show to the state, especially if there's an orchestra/etc. involved with the live production. However, judging by where they're playing in Europe, I have little faith that they'll decide to hit the southeast US this time around...

No, they will be touring the same cities as last year in the US, then fly over the Southeast US to Cuba, then to Central and South America.  ;D  I have faith that they will hit Atlanta this time.

I doubt that they will bring the orchestra and everything else to my beautiful and chaotic South America though :/

Offline dvargas

« Reply #1630 on: November 24, 2015, 06:13:56 PM »

I read about it in a magazine before it came out. Got me super excited. 

When It came out-- I was beyond amazed. Granted, I was younger and more easily impressed. While I don't consider it their best album, I still think SFAM is a phenomenal musical journey.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1631 on: November 24, 2015, 06:19:44 PM »

Good question.. I hope someone could answer it.. :corn
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1632 on: November 24, 2015, 06:29:07 PM »
I remember it....mostly.

I can't remember if we had been told it was a concept or not.   There had been speculation that Met Part 2 would most likely be *on* the album, but the fact that the entire album WAS Met Part 2 was a complete shock.   They managed to keep that nugget close to the chest until the pre-sale demos started going out a few weeks before.   And even then, the word spread a bit slower than things tend to spread today. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1633 on: November 24, 2015, 06:31:15 PM »

I doubt that they will bring the orchestra and everything else to my beautiful and chaotic South America though :/

When Deep Purple tour the world (south america included) with their "Concert for group and orchestra 30th anniversary", they used local musicians. No one would travel with a full orchestra.

Besides... Why chaotic?
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1634 on: November 24, 2015, 07:12:05 PM »
Well, no need to start a political debate. I consider it chaotic and I'll leave it at that. ;)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #1635 on: November 24, 2015, 07:13:09 PM »
Hello, I'm new here but I've been following DTF for a while and here I am.
Something I've been meaning to get an opinion on whether The Astonishing will be a sequel (of sorts) to Outcry, what are peoples thoughts on this? Because apart from the sci-fi/fantasy theme in TA, it seems to match the oppression/uprising subject.
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #1636 on: November 24, 2015, 07:19:40 PM »
Something I've been meaning to get an opinion on whether The Astonishing will be a sequel (of sorts) to Outcry, what are peoples thoughts on this? Because apart from the sci-fi/fantasy theme in TA, it seems to match the oppression/uprising subject.

Hey there, just joined today as well - welcome!   :)

That's an interesting theory - can't believe I hadn't thought of that. I think it would make perfect sense if so, but whether or not that's what they have in mind idk. You know there are a lot of similarities between IAW and ADTOE, so maybe they're continuing the trend of mirroring what they've done before? If that's what they're going for and they're going to taking musical influence from that song then I can't wait, because that's my favorite song by Dream Theater so far this decade. 

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1637 on: November 24, 2015, 07:44:37 PM »
I dunno - Being a fan from I&W and finding things to enjoy about all their releases, I just kind of like to go with it these days, without going nuts on the speculation and expectation. All I know is it's a big concept album with as far as we know some really fun ideas. I really enjoy good stage show musicals, so I'm sure there will be a nice combo of longer songs, shorter songs, dialogue and sound effects etc to make up the story. All cool with me. I've loved much of what they have done for 25 or so years, some more than others, and I have no doubt this album will have some great things to enjoy. So I'm just happy to sit back and enjoy the ride  :tup

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1638 on: November 24, 2015, 07:51:33 PM »

That's funny because, even when it doesn't look so irrational, this came inevitable to my mind:

The Astonishing is an analogy of how JP, JLB, JM and JR started a rebellion to get free of Portnoy's ironfist tyrannical rule.
So, the entire album is a sequel to Outcry, it wasn't Metropolis PT3, but Outcry PT2

"We suffered far too long... We gather now... Growing stronger... We will not be ignored, anymore, any longer..."
See?

*snip*

Never thought of it possibly being like that before . . . that's pretty epic!

I figured each track would be 3-5 minutes but be more like parts that seamlessly flowed together . . .

But forget that - like your idea much more!!! Two 20-minute songs on one album would be awesome ;)

Thanks!.. Appreciate you like it... Hey, I appreciate you've even read all that!.. :lol

Also:

(Outcry) that's my favorite song by Dream Theater so far this decade since MM has joined the band. 

FTFM.. But that was close.. Outcry is awesome!.. :hefdaddy

PS: as you can see, I'm the long-posts-guy.. ;D
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #1639 on: November 24, 2015, 08:09:20 PM »
If it where a sequel to Outcry, they could do some cool things like the "rise up be counted...." part of Outcry could be chanted by a choir in 'Hymn Of A Thousand Voices' (for example.) Whatever they're doing behind the scenes, hope its GREAT and not "meh"  :metal
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1640 on: November 24, 2015, 08:21:40 PM »
For the promo for Live at Luna Park - Over The Edge news updates would get posted here and everyone would reply

Thanks to Over The Edge for the facts !
Actually, DT themselves wrote 'Thanks to Over the Edge for the facts!" after they posted somewhat silly facts, like: DT played two nights in Buenos Aires, with different setlists in each night!
Thank you for the facts, indeed.

Great times, mait.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1641 on: November 24, 2015, 08:34:33 PM »
Actually I'd be fucking sexually aroused if I heard the Outcry chorus near TA ending, that would be like... the king of reprises, even though I don't really like Outcry.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #1642 on: November 24, 2015, 08:40:24 PM »

Good question.. I hope someone could answer it.. :corn

Same here, really curious about it.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1643 on: November 24, 2015, 09:19:10 PM »
Anyone notice how there's a "[something] Yorke" in the new map snippet, and a Long ... err ... "Endless Isleland" to the northeast of it?

Yorkie Land. Chocolate Guitar Tone Confirmed.

Don't know if the allusion was clear enough, but it's obviously a "NYC with Long Island to the northeast". They are from Long Island.

That's pretty funny, and it makes sense given that it's set in America (The Great Northern Empire of the Americas), so over time the location names have become bastardized.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1644 on: November 24, 2015, 09:44:37 PM »
Similarities in themes to Outcry, enough to be considered a spiritual successor.
Outcry was criticised for having structural similarities to Metropolis Pt. 1.

The Astonishing IS Metrpoplis Pt. 3 after all! :justjen
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。