Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 196361 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. 400km for September
« Reply #1855 on: September 20, 2020, 02:32:01 PM »
I get you guys that hate running.  I was one of those.  For me, I couldn't run a couple hundred metres without knocking up so it was simply the want to get better at it.  Once I became half decent was when I started to really enjoy it.  Seeing the progress always makes you enjoy something more too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1856 on: September 20, 2020, 02:39:08 PM »
I don't run - but I DO run food at my job as a Holiday park Restaurant waiter.

On Saturday I did a 12 hour shift ( one hour break in the middle ) and was running food all day.

As a result of being back at work since August 1st - i've dropped 9lb  :D

Drinking pints of soda water whilst i'm in the kitchen can't hurt either.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1857 on: September 20, 2020, 09:04:07 PM »
Alright, kinda nailed down a starting routine tonight, and hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself can help tweak. Some of these items are going a little light (squat weight), while some I can't quite do yet (3x5 Inverted row), but it's meant to be a starting point of what I hope to be at soon as a complete regular workout.

Questions being should I be doing more exercises? More reps of the exercises I have? Pushing weight to the limit of what I can handle of each exercise?

1 Pull-up.
10 Sit-ups.
3x10 Bench press @ 80lbs (25ea)
20 Sit-ups.
3x10 Curls @ 60lbs (15ea)
3x10 Squats @ 70lbs (20ea)
3x5 Inverted row.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1858 on: September 20, 2020, 09:20:34 PM »
Can’t say I’ve ever tried a full body split, so I don’t have much experience or feedback. I do note that you have no exercise for shoulders, tris, or hamstrings. I’d suggest skipping the single pull-up - use a chair or something to do assisted pull-ups if you want to keep that movement.  Doing a single rep of any movement won’t really do much - unless you’re a power-lifter.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1859 on: September 20, 2020, 10:20:13 PM »
Can’t say I’ve ever tried a full body split, so I don’t have much experience or feedback. I do note that you have no exercise for shoulders, tris, or hamstrings. I’d suggest skipping the single pull-up - use a chair or something to do assisted pull-ups if you want to keep that movement.  Doing a single rep of any movement won’t really do much - unless you’re a power-lifter.

Well, to be fair the single pull-up is more a future thing. If I'm lucky I can do 1 now, but my hope is that with whatever the list has, more reps or weight will be added.

Any suggestions on exercises for the muscles you talked about? I will say I'm far less concerned with my legs, although I don't want to ignore them completely, years of volleyball and hockey combined with a natural build in their favor ends in me having massive legs, both in size and muscle, as compared to my body overall.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1860 on: September 20, 2020, 11:02:33 PM »
Alright, kinda nailed down a starting routine tonight, and hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself can help tweak. Some of these items are going a little light (squat weight), while some I can't quite do yet (3x5 Inverted row), but it's meant to be a starting point of what I hope to be at soon as a complete regular workout.

Questions being should I be doing more exercises? More reps of the exercises I have? Pushing weight to the limit of what I can handle of each exercise?

1 Pull-up.
10 Sit-ups.
3x10 Bench press @ 80lbs (25ea)
20 Sit-ups.
3x10 Squats @ 70lbs (20ea)
3x5 Inverted row.

Pretty much.  Use weight that you can still have good form with and train until failure.

For shoulders, overhead press is king.  Standing with a barbell, or sitting with dumbells I go to.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1861 on: September 20, 2020, 11:41:32 PM »
11 Stone 7 lb this morning🇬🇧

That's 161 lb🇺🇸

:D

Now I just need to find out how to keep it off when i'm no longer at work after Nov 1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1862 on: September 21, 2020, 05:11:38 AM »
Kade's got it right ... OHP for shoulders.  Hamstrings - deadlift.  Proper form is imperative (Deadlift checklist).  Triceps, lying extensions (I prefer on an incline). Most here know I'm a big fan of Athlean-X, and will pimp his channel any chance I get.  Dude not only shows you proper form, but the 'why' as well.  His tagline is "putting the science back in sport"

He's got this one series of "Best <body part> dumbbell exercises"

Shoulders
Tris

As for what to do (more reps, weight)... depends on what you're training for.  Strength?  Size?  Power?  Different techniques provide different results.  Bottom line, you want to see progressive overload (this guy gets pretty science-y, but it's very good information).  Whether that's more reps, more weight, more sets, decreased rest periods, more intensity... just push yourself to do more. 

Also, I was *so* envious of your cage, I reogranized my storage/furnace/workout room, to make room for this bad boy.

Now I just need to get some plates and a bar.  But (I suppose unsurprisingly) every fitness outlet I looked up, plates are on backorder.   :angry: :-\
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1863 on: September 21, 2020, 05:35:16 AM »
Deadlifts are just an all round brilliant exercise.  Heavy deadlifts work everything for me.  They are really the only exercise that gives me some DOMs in the hammies though.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1864 on: September 21, 2020, 09:44:36 PM »
Pretty much.  Use weight that you can still have good form with and train until failure.

For shoulders, overhead press is king.  Standing with a barbell, or sitting with dumbells I go to.

Kade's got it right ... OHP for shoulders.  Hamstrings - deadlift.  Proper form is imperative

As for what to do (more reps, weight)... depends on what you're training for.  Strength?  Size?  Power?  Different techniques provide different results.  Bottom line, you want to see progressive overload (this guy gets pretty science-y, but it's very good information).  Whether that's more reps, more weight, more sets, decreased rest periods, more intensity... just push yourself to do more. 

Also, I was *so* envious of your cage, I reogranized my storage/furnace/workout room, to make room for this bad boy.

Now I just need to get some plates and a bar.  But (I suppose unsurprisingly) every fitness outlet I looked up, plates are on backorder.   :angry: :-\

I've added Overhead Press to the regular workout, but have decided against a Deadlift as the gym is on the second floor. I know I could theoretically be as safe as possible, but just don't want to chance slamming on the floor too much.

As for what I'm training for, goals 1, 2, and 3 are to get exercise at home in an attempt to get weight down and increase overall health. After that strength is 10x more important than size/looks.

I watched a little of the videos, will do more as I need to explore new techniques and form more.

The cage was actually a great deal on amazon, got that and the bench for $380 shipped. I assume you are already committed to what you got, but if you want the link for mine hmu on facebook. Mine also has mounting for an optional lat-pulldown attachment. If I do well and keep with my routine I plan to reward myself with that in a month or three to further expand what I can do.

And yeah, finding weights was an absolute bitch. Found a set I liked (300lb set from Dick's), sells for $250 new and people were selling the set on facebook for $500 and getting it. I actually planned a 90 mile each way trip on my day off Friday to pick up a set far away, but that very morning my local store got a shipment in which I quickly gobbled up. They had 10 and were all gone in 90 minutes.

Played with things today and here is what I've updated the routine to:

3x10 Bench press @ 90lbs (30ea)
3x10 Sit-ups.
3x10 Squats @ 130lbs (50ea)
3x10 Overhead press @ 70lbs (20ea)
3x5 Inverted row.

I can add a little weight to the bench or overhead press, depending on if I'm doing the list top to bottom or the opposite. Curls absolutely kill me. And even though I've upped the squat weight a lot I think I can still push that higher.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1865 on: September 22, 2020, 05:55:10 AM »
I'm confused what you mean with the '(#ea)' comment.  3 sets of 10, 70lbs for OHP.  I get that.  What's the "ea" notation meant to signify.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the deadlift/2nd floor.  Even if you did literally drop them (because of forearm fatigue) you're not lifting enough weight to have a 3 ft drop have a structural impact on the floor. If you are worried, invest in a pair of wrist straps.  Well worth it.  Deadlift is a foundational compound exercise that should be part of anyone's regular rotation.  Plus, you'll know when to stop if you feel you're about to drop it.  I've never once in my life dropped the bar/dbs in a deadlift.

As for the cage ... the one I pic'd was $600 (CAD) from Costco.  Is the Marcy MWM-7041 (not sure if that's the brand that you've got).  it's a sweet deal, especially with the dip handles and the pulley system.

Might have to check the online classified's for weights.   :-\

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1866 on: September 22, 2020, 06:05:32 AM »
Tweaked a shoulder muscle or something. Neck hurts when I look up on my right side... unless I raise my arms? That's a new one. Not sure if I tweaked it during pushups or if I slept weird.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1867 on: September 22, 2020, 07:50:24 AM »
Tweaked a shoulder muscle or something. Neck hurts when I look up on my right side... unless I raise my arms? That's a new one. Not sure if I tweaked it during pushups or if I slept weird.

I did something similar over the weekend, was watching the new Kamelot blu ray and was rocking my head and tweaked something that hurt so much in my neck.  I was so mad, but while the pain was rough right away, it subsided really quickly and 15 minutes later I was rocking my head without pain again.  No idea what that was about, just attributing it to getting older  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1868 on: September 22, 2020, 08:44:23 AM »
Ouch! I think it could be my posture; I have terrible posture at home and at work and am always fidgeting, sitting in an awkward position, but then I toss and turn during sleep too. Time to start experimenting I guess, starting with new pillows and more neck stretches
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1869 on: September 22, 2020, 08:50:53 AM »
I'm confused what you mean with the '(#ea)' comment.  3 sets of 10, 70lbs for OHP.  I get that.  What's the "ea" notation meant to signify.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the deadlift/2nd floor.  Even if you did literally drop them (because of forearm fatigue) you're not lifting enough weight to have a 3 ft drop have a structural impact on the floor. If you are worried, invest in a pair of wrist straps.  Well worth it.  Deadlift is a foundational compound exercise that should be part of anyone's regular rotation.  Plus, you'll know when to stop if you feel you're about to drop it.  I've never once in my life dropped the bar/dbs in a deadlift.

As for the cage ... the one I pic'd was $600 (CAD) from Costco.  Is the Marcy MWM-7041 (not sure if that's the brand that you've got).  it's a sweet deal, especially with the dip handles and the pulley system.

For the first part, those are just notes to myself of how much weight to put on each end of the bar. But here is some great news, I had the set I got confused with another I saw and I've actually been doing everything at 15lbs more than I thought, as the bar is 45lbs and not 30lbs!

As for the deadlift, I still want to be careful, but I'll try it. As such tonight's workout now looks like this:

3x10 Bench press @ 105lbs (30ea)
3x10 Sit-ups.
3x10 Curls @ 75lbs (15ea)
3x10 Squats @ 145lbs (50ea)
3x10 Overhead press @ 85lbs (20ea)
3x10 Deadlift @ Unknown
3x5 Inverted row.

Cage is similar to mine in cost then, if I add the handles and lat-pulldown attachment I'm probably looking at another $300.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1870 on: September 22, 2020, 09:47:55 AM »
Ouch! I think it could be my posture; I have terrible posture at home and at work and am always fidgeting, sitting in an awkward position, but then I toss and turn during sleep too. Time to start experimenting I guess, starting with new pillows and more neck stretches

Likely posture or sleeping funny on it.  There's a condition called "wry neck," which is similar - when you rotate your neck, you get a shooting pain up and down your spine.  I had it back in high school when I got dropped on my head during a wrestling match.  It's almost like the muscles freeze in a certain position and it's painful to try and look in a different direction.  The doctor prescribed a muscle relaxer that fixed it in an afternoon.

Less serious cases can be from sleeping at an awkward angle and it might resolve itself in a few days.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1871 on: September 22, 2020, 03:14:15 PM »

For the first part, those are just notes to myself of how much weight to put on each end of the bar. But here is some great news, I had the set I got confused with another I saw and I've actually been doing everything at 15lbs more than I thought, as the bar is 45lbs and not 30lbs!

As for the deadlift, I still want to be careful, but I'll try it. As such tonight's workout now looks like this:

3x10 Sit-ups.
3x10 Squats @ 145lbs (50ea)
3x10 Overhead press @ 85lbs (20ea)
3x10 Deadlift @ Unknown
3x5 Inverted row.

Cage is similar to mine in cost then, if I add the handles and lat-pulldown attachment I'm probably looking at another $300.

Ok, I got ya now.  You've got 7' Olympic bar, and (for curls), you're putting 15lbs of weight on each side, ergo, curling 75lbs.  That's pretty good as a beginner.  Hell, I only curl 40lb dumbbells.  I could probably do 45s for multiple reps, but not many.

And holy fuck... my cage just got delivered 15 minutes ago!  Mother fucker is Costco fast!!!  Plates on the other hand... called a local place, and it's looking like early October as a best case.  No biggie... I can limp along with my dumbbells for a while longer.  The weather is supposed to be really good this weekend, so I don't really want to spend hours indoors putting this thing together.  It'll probably have to wait a week or three.

Deadlift... you should easily be able to do at least as much as you squat.  Start there - but I'm sure you'll find you can do more.  Focus on your technique - hip hinge (ie, butt back) until the bar hits your knees, then squat (ie, butt down) the rest of the way.  Improper form is the fastest way to tweaking your hammies or your lower back - or both!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1872 on: September 22, 2020, 03:33:51 PM »
For some reason, I can deadlift sooooo much more than I can squat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1873 on: September 22, 2020, 04:34:37 PM »

This reminds me of Boogie Nights lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1874 on: September 22, 2020, 05:02:42 PM »

I would suspect most can. In my heyday of lifting in Uni, I could squat 235, but I once deadlifted 405 for 2 reps. I could do 365, 375 for 4-6 reps.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1875 on: September 22, 2020, 05:03:47 PM »
Oh, also ... really glad I jumped on ordering that cage from Costco - it’s no linger listed on their website!  Must’ve got the last one??

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1876 on: September 22, 2020, 08:22:29 PM »
I know you guys said Deadlift is something you can typically put more weight on, but it still felt good to see what I could do with that! Some more (mostly positive) tweeking as I worked through the night and I ended with this:

3x10 Sit-ups.
3x10 Squats @ 155lbs (55ea)
3x8 Overhead press @ 95lbs (25ea)
3x5 Deadlift @ 205lbs (80ea)
3x5 Inverted row.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1877 on: September 23, 2020, 12:20:42 AM »

I would suspect most can. In my heyday of lifting in Uni, I could squat 235, but I once deadlifted 405 for 2 reps. I could do 365, 375 for 4-6 reps.

Massive numbers.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1878 on: September 23, 2020, 12:29:57 AM »
Impressive  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1879 on: September 23, 2020, 05:02:04 AM »

Massive numbers.

If only I kept at it, and/or paid attention to my nutrition.  I was a porky mf'r back then.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1880 on: September 23, 2020, 05:23:21 AM »

Massive numbers.

If only I kept at it, and/or paid attention to my nutrition.  I was a porky mf'r back then.

Weren't we all haha.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1881 on: September 23, 2020, 09:14:44 AM »

Massive numbers.

Keep in mind those are Canadian pounds, and aren't worth as much as American pounds.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1882 on: September 23, 2020, 09:53:27 AM »
This is my home gym setup. Started putting it together back in 2015. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hips in 2014, and had to stop running. I gained a bunch of weight over the following year, and just couldn't seem to consistently motivate myself to go to the gym (despite my gym only being about 3 blocks away). The impending birth of my son was the trigger that pushed me to actually do something about it. I figured it would only be harder to get back into shape once I have kids, so suddenly there was a sense of urgency to gain as much fitness/lose as much weight as possible before he was born. Mind you, the first version of this gym was hilariously pitiful, but it got me the start I needed. I'm slowly trying to convince the wife to let me get rid of the dumbbell weight tree since we have adjustable bowflex db's that go up to 52.5lbs anyway. So far, I'm losing that battle lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1883 on: September 23, 2020, 03:06:27 PM »

Massive numbers.

Keep in mind those are Canadian pounds, and aren't worth as much as American pounds.

:rollin

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1884 on: September 23, 2020, 06:42:18 PM »
That’s a small person riding that stationary bike!!

I’ll post before / after pics once I get my cage setup in a couple of weeks.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1885 on: September 24, 2020, 06:45:37 AM »
Well...i may have dropped the seat so my 4 year old could ride it lol. He's been pretend working out since he could walk. Even goes so far as making small grunting noises while weight lifting

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1886 on: September 24, 2020, 02:52:57 PM »
Well...i may have dropped the seat so my 4 year old could ride it lol. He's been pretend working out since he could walk. Even goes so far as making small grunting noises while weight lifting

That's awesome.  How much fuckin weight do you have there in your plates?  If I zoom in, I could count and do the math... looks like 4x45s; 4x35s; 4x25s; 6x10s; 10x5s and 6x2.5s.  How'd I do?

I've got a Hex DBs 5s thru 30s.  Kept 'em even though I've got the 90lb SelectTech DBs.  Nice to have a smaller set of dbs... plus jingle.daughter prefers them over the SelectTech - the latter can get a little cumbersome at times.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1887 on: September 24, 2020, 03:20:21 PM »
I biked 26 miles yesterday, that's a new high school for me  :yarr

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1888 on: September 24, 2020, 03:49:38 PM »

Wow mate.  How long does a distance like that take?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1889 on: September 24, 2020, 03:53:47 PM »

Wow mate.  How long does a distance like that take?

*high score, not school  :lol

I average around 3:20 minutes per mile (3 miles in 10 minutes), but I end up slowing down a bit on the longer rides so it's close to 90 minutes.