Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 190333 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. How's it goin this week?
« Reply #1680 on: August 09, 2020, 05:50:20 AM »
Still enjoying my running.  Set a bit of a montly goal for myself based on the volume I've been doing on a weekly basis. This takes the the weekly average up a little bit on what I have been doing to make it more challening.  Looking at doing 200km (125 miles) in the month of August.  both yesterday and today did 12km each day, so already the 2nd of August I'm up to 24km.  Never run back to back days of over 10kms but half the run today was on par with record time but the second half I fell flat.  See how I go tomorrow, will aim to do a few kms after every weight session each night.  Not sure how I'll keep up though.

I just worked out this morning that setting myself this random goal equates to an average of 6.5kms a day...........I'm a dodo.  24km in the first 2 days brings the average for the rest down to 6kms a day........Fuck....

It's the 9th of August here and have completed 77kms.  This was a stupid, stupid, stupid idea.

You seem to be on pace.  30% of the way thru the month, and you're 38.5% of the way to your goal.

Is it stupid because you're dying already??
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1681 on: August 09, 2020, 06:09:54 AM »
I went kayaking yesterday. A friend and i started one town up river and paddled to the boat launch by my house on the east end of our city. 48km and 6hrs on the water. I'm not sure my upper body has ever been this trashed before

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1682 on: August 09, 2020, 06:21:14 AM »
I went kayaking yesterday. A friend and i started one town up river and paddled to the boat launch by my house on the east end of our city. 48km and 6hrs on the water. I'm not sure my upper body has ever been this trashed before

Holy crap man!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1683 on: August 09, 2020, 02:19:05 PM »
Still enjoying my running.  Set a bit of a montly goal for myself based on the volume I've been doing on a weekly basis. This takes the the weekly average up a little bit on what I have been doing to make it more challening.  Looking at doing 200km (125 miles) in the month of August.  both yesterday and today did 12km each day, so already the 2nd of August I'm up to 24km.  Never run back to back days of over 10kms but half the run today was on par with record time but the second half I fell flat.  See how I go tomorrow, will aim to do a few kms after every weight session each night.  Not sure how I'll keep up though.

I just worked out this morning that setting myself this random goal equates to an average of 6.5kms a day...........I'm a dodo.  24km in the first 2 days brings the average for the rest down to 6kms a day........Fuck....

It's the 9th of August here and have completed 77kms.  This was a stupid, stupid, stupid idea.

You seem to be on pace.  30% of the way thru the month, and you're 38.5% of the way to your goal.

Is it stupid because you're dying already??

Just woke up Monday morning and feel like I've been hit by a freight train.  My legs are just so damn sore it's not funny.  I'm normally fine with workout pains but this is crazy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1684 on: August 09, 2020, 02:19:45 PM »

Holy hell, that's fucking epic.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1685 on: August 09, 2020, 05:37:57 PM »
Damn guys, that is intense Wolf and Shredder

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1686 on: August 10, 2020, 12:21:07 AM »
I have felt the worse I've felt on a long time.  Physically sore but so lethargic and just downright depressed.  Been quiet at work and literally have zero motivation to do anything.  I'm shocked how much my mood is affected.  I guess this could be classed as overtraining? 

People do way more than me and athletes do hours more than me.  How the fuck do they do it lol.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1687 on: August 10, 2020, 12:28:58 AM »
I have felt the worse I've felt on a long time.  Physically sore but so lethargic and just downright depressed.  Been quiet at work and literally have zero motivation to do anything.  I'm shocked how much my mood is affected.  I guess this could be classed as overtraining? 

People do way more than me and athletes do hours more than me.  How the fuck do they do it lol.

Maybe just try increasing the rock  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1688 on: August 10, 2020, 05:26:16 AM »

Maybe just try increasing the rock  :metal

You make a strong argument, I'll give it a try.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1689 on: August 10, 2020, 08:38:56 AM »

That sucks, dude... I've got some health problems that have been hampering my ability to get out and do my cardio myself, but I also feel the zero motivation. A short break might do you wonders!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1690 on: August 10, 2020, 09:09:16 AM »

I feel like that is natural to have your ups and downs, and athletes aren't human  :lol I don't know how they do it, but I'm guessing it's because they've been training hardcore since being a kid at a high level and have gotten professional training from coaches and whatnot... and it's also their job if they are a professional athlete so that training is similar to just showing up to work in some way, but I'm sure they have their bouts with unmotivation like any other human. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1691 on: August 10, 2020, 04:55:30 PM »

That sucks, dude... I've got some health problems that have been hampering my ability to get out and do my cardio myself, but I also feel the zero motivation. A short break might do you wonders!

That sucks mate.  Motivation is a killer when it dips so heavily.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1692 on: August 10, 2020, 04:56:12 PM »

I feel like that is natural to have your ups and downs, and athletes aren't human  :lol I don't know how they do it, but I'm guessing it's because they've been training hardcore since being a kid at a high level and have gotten professional training from coaches and whatnot... and it's also their job if they are a professional athlete so that training is similar to just showing up to work in some way, but I'm sure they have their bouts with unmotivation like any other human.

Yeah that's true.  It's amazing what some of these guys do day in, day out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1693 on: August 11, 2020, 08:06:03 AM »
Why is there such a delay in soreness from your abs?  Like I did sit ups on Saturday but today they are finally sore  :lol

I biked 24 miles yesterday, that marks my single highest in a day.  Helps when I have long meetings that I just need to listen/watch so I could just hit the bike while attending those.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: August 11, 2020, 08:57:21 AM »
Why is there such a delay in soreness from your abs?  Like I did sit ups on Saturday but today they are finally sore  :lol

I biked 24 miles yesterday, that marks my single highest in a day.  Helps when I have long meetings that I just need to listen/watch so I could just hit the bike while attending those.

Cuz you obviously worked them hard!  I don't find any particular body part to experience DOMS any differently.  What does accentuate DOMS is a lot of time under tension in the eccentric motion of any exercise.  Do a routine where each rep is 1 second up / 3 seconds down ... you'll be on fire for a couple days for sure.  I did a 1-up/2-down routine with tricep dips on Sunday, and I'm feeling it today.

Our company all-hands call is in 30 minutes - gonna do just what you mentioned Marc, and get on the bike to listen to it.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: August 11, 2020, 09:50:35 AM »
Finished Week 2 (6 reps of running for 1,5 minutes, walking for 2 minutes) of that couch to 5k program, so far so good. My legs definitely begin to feel it a little bit, especially during the rest days when I bike to work, but I think I'll be fine for Week 3 (2 reps of running 1,5 minutes, walking 1,5 minutes, running 3 minutes, walking 3 minutes). After that it's going to be difficult: Week 4 is total of 16 minutes of running and 5,5 minutes of walking. Well, I'll get there and try to do it anyway I suppose. :lol

I feel fairly motivated to run, actually look forward to it the whole day, but I guess that's because it's still new and exciting for me. I hear you guys about zero motivation though, lately as weeks go I struggle to do anything productive. I think it's mostly because of what I was usually looking forward to (meeting with friends, concerts, traveling, board game nights, going to bars) isn't possible, or at least isn't safe enough. It was fine while we were in lockdown, but now we're back in the office, I don't know. For the last few years I was like "hey, I've got this awesome concert lined up 2 months from now on" and that made getting through these two months at work easier. And now that feeling is gone, it's just an endless cycle of work for five days, get straight back home, spend two more days not really socializing aside from a few Discord calls, rinse, repeat. I intended to create a DTF thread about my post-roulette listening and been postponing it for two weeks. I don't think I'll muster the will to do it today either.

I realize this is probably more for one of the Covid threads, but I think there was some mental fitness element involved in this thread, so I guess I just had to vent a bit.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: August 11, 2020, 09:54:45 AM »
I totally feel the same, the covid thing and having nothing to look forward to really kind of makes me less motivated in general (not necessarily specific to working out)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1697 on: August 11, 2020, 09:56:53 AM »
You city folks getting sad about no concerts makes me laugh. I mean I feel ya and I can't wait for them to start up again, but welcome to my life.  :lol Hope everybody's funk clears up soon!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1698 on: August 11, 2020, 10:10:55 AM »
I got to 69.9lbs lost this morning. Got a good 4.5 miles hike in this morning and am playing around of 9 after work. Hoping to enter the 220s tomorrow  :metal

Marc, there's always a 24-48 hour delay in my muscles feeling the workout.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1699 on: August 11, 2020, 10:20:43 AM »
Marc, there's always a 24-48 hour delay in my muscles feeling the workout.

I usually feel the other body parts the next day maybe two, but abs for some reason seem to be a multi day lag.  My one friend agreed with me, was wondering if there was a science why the abs take longer but maybe it's not the same for everyone. 

welcome to my life.  :lol Hope everybody's funk clears up soon!

But that's your choice.  I mean, it's not just concerts but while it was fairly small, my social life now is non existent.  I'm cool sticking to myself most of the time, but not really socializing at all really kind of has an affect after awhile on me. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1700 on: August 11, 2020, 10:26:03 AM »
It's really not my choice, I get like maybe 3 metal concerts a year that come through my area (read: 3 hours north) that I'm interested in and then they have to occur on Friday-Sunday in order for me just to be able to get to the concert in time.  :lol Last year I literally only went to Avantasia (and ProgPower).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1701 on: August 11, 2020, 10:30:48 AM »
You've mentioned multiple times that concerts in general are not your thing and you enjoy being alone so that's where I'm coming from

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1702 on: August 11, 2020, 10:33:45 AM »
You've mentioned multiple times that concerts in general are not your thing and you enjoy being alone so that's where I'm coming from

But I still like going to concerts, I just don't have nearly as many opportunities to go and I have to go hours away, that's why they're not my thing as much as they would otherwise be  :lol it's definitely not my choice to not go to a lot of concerts, if I lived near a bigger city and more overseas bands would play nearby I'd totally go more often. Although you're right, I dislike standing in a crowd like we're packed in like sardines, that's easily the worst part of concerts. I love being alone but I love the thrill and energy of a live show from my favorite artists :3 For me personally the cost of concerts and how far away is why I say I don't like them as much as I otherwise might. Although with a pandemic I don't know if I'll even go to a show after it's safe to go. Ugh!

But yeah, if you're used to going to them all the time, then this year has been a massive bummer. Might be fun to think about all the money you've saved on tickets and merch though yeah? Maybe?  :biggrin:

Re: exercise, I need to find a way to put a wire on my wireless earbuds so I don't risk dropping them out of my ear when I'm running. It's starting to really annoy me haha
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 10:39:16 AM by The Walrus »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1703 on: August 11, 2020, 10:42:23 AM »
Concerts weren't my point though, just an example I guess. It's just, imagine (or not if it's the same for you) there are a couple of things you're really passionate about which always end up highlights of your year, and now they're gone. I know entertainment is non-essential but life has just kind of become a slog for me right now aside from a couple of things.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1704 on: August 11, 2020, 10:42:47 AM »
Tell me about it, man. I totally understand. Am I giving off the impression I don't? I really hope not. I'll zip it  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1705 on: August 11, 2020, 10:53:09 AM »

Re: exercise, I need to find a way to put a wire on my wireless earbuds so I don't risk dropping them out of my ear when I'm running. It's starting to really annoy me haha

Get better tips.  I like Comply memory foam tips - they're similar to foam-tip earplugs.  100% seal.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1706 on: August 11, 2020, 10:54:22 AM »

Get better tips.  I like Comply memory foam tips - they're similar to foam-tip earplugs.  100% seal.

Mine came with a few different sets of tips, so I should probably try switching them out. I didn't know you could buy special memory foam tips. That's awesome!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1707 on: August 11, 2020, 10:58:09 AM »

Mine came with a few different sets of tips, so I should probably try switching them out. I didn't know you could buy special memory foam tips. That's awesome!

The tricky part is finding the right model so that the connection to the actual ear-bud is correct.  If/when you look up the Comply tips, you'll note the connector is a hard plastic "shell" so not all tips fit any/all earbuds.  Looks like their listings on Amazon give a pretty comprehensive compatibility chart.  I bought a set once that did not fit with my earbuds.  :angry:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1708 on: August 11, 2020, 03:37:36 PM »
Concerts weren't my point though, just an example I guess. It's just, imagine (or not if it's the same for you) there are a couple of things you're really passionate about which always end up highlights of your year, and now they're gone. I know entertainment is non-essential but life has just kind of become a slog for me right now aside from a couple of things.

I hear you.  It's the little things in life that keep you going through the slog day in day out.  I have zero social life, I've always been a worker and catching up with people to just shoot the breeze and whatnot just doesn't interest me.  I'm pretty cold in that respect but me and the misses not being able to get away for our yearly interstate trip during the winter is just brutal.  That one week away makes the whole year of working around the clock totally worth it.  Knowing that we have to work through it and not knowing if we will get the opportunity again next year is mentally taxing.

With how I feel, I couldn't imagine how really social people would be coping with this.  It must be borderline torture for some.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1709 on: August 11, 2020, 05:43:53 PM »
With how I feel, I couldn't imagine how really social people would be coping with this.  It must be borderline torture for some.

Good point.  I think a lot of us here are somewhat introverts and the fact it hits us hard kind of makes me wonder about the people this hurts the most.  As much as I feel a bit depressed about the current situation, at the end of the day, I have my health and I have a job.  I have it better than a lot of folks in reality.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1710 on: August 12, 2020, 04:37:23 AM »

Good point.  I think a lot of us here are somewhat introverts and the fact it hits us hard kind of makes me wonder about the people this hurts the most.  As much as I feel a bit depressed about the current situation, at the end of the day, I have my health and I have a job.  I have it better than a lot of folks in reality.

I had good perspective before, but it's increased tenfold.  Even though I'm an unfriendly prick who hates most people I come in contact with haha.  The lack of perspective people have during this whole situation makes me even more ashamed and depressed.  We really are a fucked up arrogant, pathetic race.  It makes work tougher.  I mean people complaining about the dumbest shit that means nothing in life just gets my back up.  Again, lack of perspective.  I need a holiday, that's right, can't go.  And the cycle continues.  But considering others and how they are doing, I'm doing fucking fine.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1711 on: August 13, 2020, 07:34:14 AM »
What scale do you guys use? My fitbit scale died after 5 years and I want get something new. I just need something with weight and bf%. I know bf% can vary wildly but I'd still like to track it to see if I'm trending downwards.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: August 13, 2020, 08:27:40 AM »
What scale do you guys use? My fitbit scale died after 5 years and I want get something new. I just need something with weight and bf%. I know bf% can vary wildly but I'd still like to track it to see if I'm trending downwards.

I use Renpho.  Syncs/tracks a bunch of data points with an app, and has a rechargeable battery.  Zero complaints.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07NK8LBPC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1713 on: August 13, 2020, 10:25:11 AM »
I just use a standard digital scale from Walmart

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1714 on: August 13, 2020, 11:10:44 AM »
Tonight, I'm gonna take another crack at that push/pull routine I referenced a while back. Hopefully the DOMS isn't as bad.