Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 192428 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. How's it goin this week?
« Reply #1785 on: August 26, 2020, 08:13:18 AM »
Chino,

Yeah, I've probably spent $2,000 this summer replacing out chunks of my wardrobe. A few weeks ago, I took three large boxes of XXL, XL, and some Large sized shirts (depending on the cut), suits, sweaters, and coats to Good Will. I've thrown away nearly as much in jeans and shorts that are larger than 34s. Like cramx3 says, it's been a good problem.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1786 on: August 26, 2020, 08:17:26 AM »
Yea, I had the same issue last fall.  Actually still kind of do.  I never bought more shorts that fit, only have one pair I bought at the end of last summer but since this entire summer has been mostly at home, I never bought more shorts so I only wear the one pair when I do go out and at this point, it seems I won't be buying more shorts until next spring.  I also have maybe one formal outfit that fits, but I have no immediate need to dress up for anything either.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1787 on: August 27, 2020, 12:05:34 AM »
I eat most my food at night but my intake through the day is low to allow for the extra feeding at night.

This has effectively become my eating habit as well.  Drinking a coffee in the morning and the afternoon has really help curb my appetite during the day and then I'll consume a full on meal for dinner and late night snack because I can't sleep if I'm hungry.  I really enjoy like fiber bars or similar for that late night snack as well, helps keep you full for the rest of the night and is low calorie.

Lately I try to do all my eating before 5:30PM. I typically only allow myself 200 calories after that time unless I have company over or something. I haven't had tobacco of any kind in three days now and all I want to do is eat. It's terrible.

On a positive note, I hit 219 this morning which is a total of 81.2 pounds lost  :metal My clothes are starting to look like shit on me, and my XL wardrobe that I kept boxed up from 10 years ago is laughable. I can't believe the style I was into back then. I'm going to need all new clothes  :lol

Is that a preference thing with eating before 5.30pm?

Congrats on your success too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1788 on: August 27, 2020, 10:26:46 AM »
Nick, I'm sure you can do it!

Hey Kade, how it's going for you? Only four days left until September and I was thinking about your 200km thing during today's run.

The biggest one for me so far, Week 5 Day 3 is coming up on Saturday. 20 minutes (~3.2km with my pace) of non-stop running.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:06:43 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1789 on: August 27, 2020, 11:33:35 AM »
I eat most my food at night but my intake through the day is low to allow for the extra feeding at night.

This has effectively become my eating habit as well.  Drinking a coffee in the morning and the afternoon has really help curb my appetite during the day and then I'll consume a full on meal for dinner and late night snack because I can't sleep if I'm hungry.  I really enjoy like fiber bars or similar for that late night snack as well, helps keep you full for the rest of the night and is low calorie.

Lately I try to do all my eating before 5:30PM. I typically only allow myself 200 calories after that time unless I have company over or something. I haven't had tobacco of any kind in three days now and all I want to do is eat. It's terrible.

On a positive note, I hit 219 this morning which is a total of 81.2 pounds lost  :metal My clothes are starting to look like shit on me, and my XL wardrobe that I kept boxed up from 10 years ago is laughable. I can't believe the style I was into back then. I'm going to need all new clothes  :lol

Is that a preference thing with eating before 5.30pm?

Congrats on your success too.

Thanks! I just find that I sleep sooo much better since I've started eating less late in the day. I feel like my body can just focus on sleeping rather than trying to convert food into turds. Also, I'm of the mind that stuff eaten later in the day doesn't get utilized like breakfast or lunch because there's a good bit of down time before the next physical activity.   

I could be entirely wrong and doing permanent damage for all I know. I wouldn't trust anything I say  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1790 on: August 27, 2020, 12:03:13 PM »
So 10+ years ago I went from 260lbs to 190 lbs in the span of about 10 months. And in the years since saw 260 again, and then finally on Aug. 16 I saw 270lbs for the first time.

Finally using that to break some bad habits. I'm getting a smidgen more exercise, but really I've just made major adjustments to my eating. Started that on Aug. 19.

Results this morning, Aug. 24, already down 8lbs to 262lbs. I know that rate won't continue for long, but it is majorly reinforcing to see that kind of positive change.

nice, keep it up.  And I agree, seeing some positive change is a huge reinforcement to keep going because you know the work you are putting in is showing in the results.

I wouldn't even call it work, it's just restraint. I can probably get to 220 easily on basic restraint alone. Main thing is cutting back in HUGE amounts the amount of food I put away when home. I'm usually good at work, but nights and weekends are my main issue.

Nick, I'm not sure how on to it you are with your calories and if you know how much you are taking in, but if night time and weekends are your weakness (which I relate to) then when you get full control over your food and what you eat maybe look at fasting and calorie cycling.

I eat most my food at night but my intake through the day is low to allow for the extra feeding at night.  You really really need to know what you are doing though or else things could go very wrong.  Fasting is great but I prefer just a protein shake or two and some tuna and veg through the day.  Have done up to 20 hour fasting and while it's effective, overeating is a strong possibility which I found.  Low calorie through the day works better for me.

Calorie cycling could basically allow you to significantly cut your calories through the week and make up for them on the weekend yet still possibly be in a defeceit.  Very effective but again you need to be on point with your intake.

Thank you for all the support everyone!

When it comes to specifics I'm finding right now I don't have to worry too much about it. My eating habits had gotten so bad that at least initially just pointing in the right direction was going to show positive results.

Going to go with a typical work day here:

-Only a few days ago I made a big (to me) sacrifice of cutting my morning Wawa stop from a chocolate milk and half pretzel to just the chocolate milk.
-For lunch I'm cutting out going out for lunch for the most part, or if I do will get something on the smaller side than I would normally. Most days I'll have a half cup of goldfish (I always keep a giant box at both my offices) and maybe a little snack or some iced tea at some point as well. Speaking of which I'm cutting down on the amount of Iced Tea and trying to swap in water more.
-After work is where the fun comes in, and where I do get a little more conscious of what's around the house and how hard it's hitting me. Depending on when I get home and when we're making dinner I might have a very small snack. Then dinner is usually good as we make HelloFresh and so portion size is controlled. Then between then and bed is where bar far the biggest change has been made. Instead of having a big snack, and another, and another, and maybe some more I've really cut down to one small snack and my big crutch, a freeze pop (50cal) or three.

Been good the last few days, now down 11lbs total to 258.8 this morning.

I've kinda been thinking about my goals and how hardcore I want to go and have a general game-plan for myself.
-First shed 20lbs on diet only, getting to 250lbs, easing up on my body when I start to exercise.
-Finally stick to a light daily exercise routine that helps get me 30 more lbs down to 220lbs.
-Assess from there. I know I got to 190lbs and that was great, but I want to see how realistic that is, as I'd like to find a weight that I think I can maintain long term. But we'll see how I feel if/when I get there. If I think the progress can naturally progress more, or if I can make more specific changes I can stick to at that time then I'll do it and see if I can go down and stay down more.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1791 on: August 27, 2020, 12:49:20 PM »
Good plan, give yourself goals that you can achieve and re-assessing.  I, like you, didn't just go full into diet/exercise hardcore mode.  Started exactly the same, small diet changes, and then slowly incrementing exercise in.  You see the results and it encourages you to keep going. 

Or as The Situation told me "keep one upping yourself"

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1792 on: August 27, 2020, 02:10:24 PM »
Couple pieces of nutrition advice hat were mini epiphanies to me.  One, it takes 20 mins for your brain to receive the signal from your stomach that you are ‘full’. So, cut portion size down dramatically (I cut mine by 1/3 when I first started losing weight); if you’re still hungry after the mea, wait 1/2 and hour, then have a small/healthy snack.  90% of the time, I never needed that snack

Two, people often confuse the feeling of hunger with the feeling of needing water. Water fills the stomach, which can/will be satiating. Also forces ya to drink more water, which jacks up he metabolism.

These are two “tricks” that helped me reduce caloric intake.

Bri, great job!  Can’t wait to hear/see ya hit 199

Nick! You too... good on ya for making those changes.  :tup

Run! Ruslan! Run!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1793 on: August 27, 2020, 06:35:54 PM »
Long story short my diet has gone to hell this week. On the plus side, another deck of cards tonight. So much sweat. 20 cards left. Whew...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1794 on: August 27, 2020, 08:24:56 PM »
Couple pieces of nutrition advice hat were mini epiphanies to me.  One, it takes 20 mins for your brain to receive the signal from your stomach that you are ‘full’. So, cut portion size down dramatically (I cut mine by 1/3 when I first started losing weight); if you’re still hungry after the mea, wait 1/2 and hour, then have a small/healthy snack.  90% of the time, I never needed that snack

Two, people often confuse the feeling of hunger with the feeling of needing water. Water fills the stomach, which can/will be satiating. Also forces ya to drink more water, which jacks up he metabolism.

These are two “tricks” that helped me reduce caloric intake.

Bri, great job!  Can’t wait to hear/see ya hit 199

Nick! You too... good on ya for making those changes.  :tup

Run! Ruslan! Run!!!

I never really bought in on the whole water increases metabolism thing.  I think if it is in fact true, it's over emphasized to make that much of a difference.  But that's my personal opinion.

I do try and at least drink 5-6 litres of water a day.  I do think it's beneficial to get at least a litre in upon waking.  It does hold off the initial hunger in the morning. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1795 on: August 27, 2020, 08:32:19 PM »
When I lost my big chunk of weight in 2005, I could tell the days/weeks I wasn’t drinking enough water.

Also, lots of peer reviewed research and studies verify it.

Drinking 500 ml of water increased metabolic rate by 30%. The increase occurred within 10 min and reached a maximum after 30-40 min. <bunch or sciencey language> Thus, drinking 2 liters of water per day would augment energy expenditure by approximately 400 kJ.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14671205/

Not intending to be argumentative with you Kade, just pointing out there is lots of scientific evidence to back it up
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1796 on: August 27, 2020, 11:39:16 PM »
I'm not arguing facts but I just don't buy into it because basically, we need water to survive, it's essential to life and hey, I said it's important, I drink 5-6 litres a day.  My point was people think by drinking more water they are doing enough instead of doing the hard work that needs to be done.  I don't mean you either mate, I mean the general population that are fat but keep saying they are losing weight and doing the right thing cause they are drinking a lot of water.  It's used as a cop out for some people that don't want to do the work.

BUT, yes a high water intake is essential.  But for weight loss I don't think burning 100 calories because of 2 litres of water consumption makes much difference.  People can eat 100 calories in 10 seconds.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1797 on: August 28, 2020, 05:10:24 AM »
I'm not arguing facts but I just don't buy into it because basically, we need water to survive, it's essential to life and hey, I said it's important, I drink 5-6 litres a day.  My point was people think by drinking more water they are doing enough instead of doing the hard work that needs to be done.  I don't mean you either mate, I mean the general population that are fat but keep saying they are losing weight and doing the right thing cause they are drinking a lot of water.  It's used as a cop out for some people that don't want to do the work.

Gotchya... and agree with that fully.  It's one element to complement a total nutrition plan.

BUT, yes a high water intake is essential.  But for weight loss I don't think burning 100 calories because of 2 litres of water consumption makes much difference.  People can eat 100 calories in 10 seconds.

Agreed.  I look at is as part of a total exercise plan as well; if you (royal) can increase metabolic rate by 30%, then exercise for 30-60 minutes, it's gonna have an additive effect.  Do that every day for a month, and it just might equate to 2-3 lbs.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1798 on: August 28, 2020, 06:01:46 AM »
I've notice a sharp decline in the rate at which I'm losing weight. I'm sure it's part plateau, but I think water intake could be another component. It's gotten a lot cooler over the last two weeks and I've gone from drinking a gallon or more of water a day to maybe a half gallon at most. I'm not sweating anywhere near as much these days, and don't feel thirsty as often. I find myself having to literally force feed myself water, whereas a few weeks ago I couldn't get enough of it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 06:10:18 AM by Chino »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1799 on: August 28, 2020, 07:11:52 AM »
I think more people attribute the weight loss to water replacing other sugary drinks like sodas and juices, and also making you feel 'full' despite not eating as much. I dunno. All I know is that water rocks and I chug a good 1 to 2 gallons of it every day.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1800 on: August 28, 2020, 05:58:00 PM »
I think more people attribute the weight loss to water replacing other sugary drinks like sodas and juices, and also making you feel 'full' despite not eating as much. I dunno. All I know is that water rocks and I chug a good 1 to 2 gallons of it every day.

That's the thinking I gravitate towards.  I've heard the whole drinking more water speeds metabolism etc quite a bit though In my time which frustrates me.

One has to be careful not to drink too much.  Too much can be just as detrimental as drinking too less.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1801 on: August 29, 2020, 12:48:18 AM »
So yeah, just ran 3.2km in 20 minutes without walking/stopping. I feel I could have probably kept at it and do a full 5km as I felt really good, but I'm going to stick to the program for now. 4 more weeks to go.

Man, I guess I'm really doing it now.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1802 on: August 29, 2020, 03:47:07 AM »
So yeah, just ran 3.2km in 20 minutes without walking/stopping. I feel I could have probably kept at it and do a full 5km as I felt really good, but I'm going to stick to the program for now. 4 more weeks to go.

Man, I guess I'm really doing crushing it now.

Fix'd.   :tup
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 07:00:39 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1803 on: August 29, 2020, 04:35:11 AM »

That's a great time for that distance.  If you can aim for 4km in the 20 minutes that's a really great pace.

Offline H2

« Reply #1804 on: August 29, 2020, 06:38:08 PM »
When do you guys work out usually? I'm torn between the afternoon 4pm and the early morning 7:30am timeslots. I work out in my apartment so I don't want to wake up the people downstairs with the early morning workout, but I think I do prefer it, personally.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1805 on: August 29, 2020, 07:37:35 PM »
When do you guys work out usually? I'm torn between the afternoon 4pm and the early morning 7:30am timeslots. I work out in my apartment so I don't want to wake up the people downstairs with the early morning workout, but I think I do prefer it, personally.

I'll workout anytime, really. It usually depends on what else is going on that day with work and family. I sure won't let time of day dictate whether or not i exercise, even if it means being up at 5am for a session. Exercise is more important to me than all my hobbies, so i just make time for it.

If I could choose though, I'd probably say mornings around 9am if I'm riding, and evenings around 7 or 8 if I'm lifting

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1806 on: August 30, 2020, 03:34:09 AM »

That's a great time for that distance.  If you can aim for 4km in the 20 minutes that's a really great pace.

I plan to up my speed a bit but I want to get to 5km runs first before I do that. I'm really comfortable with my pace so far, once I can confidently run 5km I'll try to get a bit faster.

6 PM on working days, I'd love to run in the mornings but I get up early as hell already (5 AM) so I can't do it; on weekends it's around 8-10 AM for me depending on how early I wake up.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1807 on: August 30, 2020, 05:04:15 AM »
200km in 30 days completed!

Time to give my poor ankle a couple of days off.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1808 on: August 30, 2020, 05:04:52 AM »

Go to the gym after work about 5:30pm.  Can't work out in the morning, just can't do it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1809 on: August 30, 2020, 05:41:04 AM »

Congrats man!  Hope the recovery for your ankle isn’t too long.

I'll workout anytime, really. It usually depends on what else is going on that day with work and family. I sure won't let time of day dictate whether or not i exercise, even if it means being up at 5am for a session. Exercise is more important to me than all my hobbies, so i just make time for it.

If I could choose though, I'd probably say mornings around 9am if I'm riding, and evenings around 7 or 8 if I'm lifting

It’s like you’re in my head!  I’ll workout as early as 6am, or as late as 10pm. Doesn’t matter ... all depends on what’s going on with work and family.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1810 on: August 30, 2020, 05:44:53 AM »
Thanks Chad.  A couple of days should be enough.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1811 on: August 30, 2020, 06:09:53 AM »
Thanks Chad.  A couple of days should be enough.

Good... the it was just pain, and not an injury.  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1812 on: August 30, 2020, 08:07:26 AM »
Fucking midnight and can't sleep.  Seems to be a common symptom of over doing it, overtraining perhaps. Legs are going to hate me in the morning.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1813 on: August 30, 2020, 01:50:25 PM »

:tup

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1814 on: September 01, 2020, 08:42:14 AM »
Chino,

Yeah, I've probably spent $2,000 this summer replacing out chunks of my wardrobe. A few weeks ago, I took three large boxes of XXL, XL, and some Large sized shirts (depending on the cut), suits, sweaters, and coats to Good Will. I've thrown away nearly as much in jeans and shorts that are larger than 34s. Like cramx3 says, it's been a good problem.

I made out like a bandit yesterday. I went to the mall and hit a few of the clothing stores. Their inventories are so fucked because of covid and they're trying to make room for the fall and winter lines. I got so much stuff on clearance. I bought 22 long/short sleeve t-shirts, three new hoodies, and four pairs of jeans for $210  :metal

I'm really glad I'm not in the office right now, because that wardrobe would be a pretty penny to replace, and there's a new RC car I have my eye on  :lol

I was thinking about returning to the office on my walk this morning and how much I'm dreading it. I've lost 65ish pounds since those people last saw me (hopefully 80+ by the time I actually return), and I'm really not looking forward to having 40+ coworkers make some kind of comment about it. I know none of them mean any disrespect by it, but I don't like being the center of attention. Also, while I'm proud of the progress I've made and the work I've put in, I'm not at all proud that I let myself get to the point where even after losing 83 pounds, I could lose another 30 and still be considered obese by medical standards. It's been a real mind fuck and very personal, and it's not something that I particularly want to shoot the shit about in casual conversation.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. 400km for September
« Reply #1815 on: September 01, 2020, 08:43:23 AM »
Just get a fat suit. Not only will they not talk to you, they'll be too uncomfortable to say "wow, you got fat!"  Except you're not fat!  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1816 on: September 01, 2020, 09:52:04 AM »
I was thinking about returning to the office on my walk this morning and how much I'm dreading it. I've lost 65ish pounds since those people last saw me (hopefully 80+ by the time I actually return), and I'm really not looking forward to having 40+ coworkers make some kind of comment about it.

"Oh hey Brian, have you got cancer or something?" - your coworkers when you return to the office, probably

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1817 on: September 01, 2020, 02:10:44 PM »
I was thinking about returning to the office on my walk this morning and how much I'm dreading it. I've lost 65ish pounds since those people last saw me (hopefully 80+ by the time I actually return), and I'm really not looking forward to having 40+ coworkers make some kind of comment about it. I know none of them mean any disrespect by it, but I don't like being the center of attention. Also, while I'm proud of the progress I've made and the work I've put in, I'm not at all proud that I let myself get to the point where even after losing 83 pounds, I could lose another 30 and still be considered obese by medical standards. It's been a real mind fuck and very personal, and it's not something that I particularly want to shoot the shit about in casual conversation.

Do what I do, when people ask me if I've lost weight. "No! Why did you think I was fat?"

Shuts 'em up every time.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1818 on: September 01, 2020, 02:26:06 PM »

I feel this so much brother.  Can relate to every word and would feel exactly the same as you.

I think you just have to try and go with it and just keep telling yourself that's it's positive.  No matter how uncomfortable it will make you.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1819 on: September 01, 2020, 03:23:11 PM »
I was thinking about returning to the office on my walk this morning and how much I'm dreading it. I've lost 65ish pounds since those people last saw me (hopefully 80+ by the time I actually return), and I'm really not looking forward to having 40+ coworkers make some kind of comment about it.

"Oh hey Brian, have you got cancer or something?" - your coworkers when you return to the office, probably

Tell hem you’ve been in Chemo - THAT will change the conversation for sure!