Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 192447 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. How's it goin this week?
« Reply #1750 on: August 19, 2020, 01:45:57 PM »
I wish peanut butter and cheese were vegetables. I love/miss them so much.

PB is my ultimate vice. I eat it by the spoonful, and it very much sabotages my efforts lol.

This.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1751 on: August 19, 2020, 02:18:34 PM »
I wish peanut butter and cheese were vegetables. I love/miss them so much.

PB is my ultimate vice. I eat it by the spoonful, and it very much sabotages my efforts lol.

This.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1752 on: August 22, 2020, 07:16:37 AM »
Holy hell... Just did a full deck of cards workout first thing this Saturday morning. Health issues have kept me from doing what I want to do so I was amazed I got through it, although halfway through my progress slowed significantly. Nothing like knocking out a super hard workout before anything else. Feeling really good now, physically and mentally. Now it's time to hit the track, then make a late breakfast... maybe lunch.  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1753 on: August 22, 2020, 07:27:33 AM »
What movements?  I love deck o cards workouts. I’ve got an app on my phone, and have setup about a dozen different routines.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1754 on: August 22, 2020, 07:51:42 AM »
What movements?  I love deck o cards workouts. I’ve got an app on my phone, and have setup about a dozen different routines.

I never even thought about looking for an app for this. Gonna look into that, sounds exactly like something I need. For this one I kept it basic 'cause it's been a while: sit-ups, squats, push ups, and burpees. I also made aces = 14 instead of 1, which was a real kick in the nuts when I kept pulling out kings and aces throughout the first half of the deck.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: August 22, 2020, 09:22:47 AM »
No shit. I also make aces 14. Pulling out 2 or more face cards in a row kills me.  Or multiple of the burpee suit!  I’m gonna do one right now... out in the 85F heat. Gonna make me sweat!,
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1756 on: August 22, 2020, 09:46:31 AM »
No shit. I also make aces 14. Pulling out 2 or more face cards in a row kills me.  Or multiple of the burpee suit!  I’m gonna do one right now... out in the 85F heat. Gonna make me sweat!,

LOL. At one point I drew situps 3 times in a row... queen, ace, 8. Profanities were thrown. God I hate them.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1757 on: August 22, 2020, 11:14:28 AM »

LOL. At one point I drew situps 3 times in a row... queen, ace, 8. Profanities were thrown. God I hate them.

Sit ups are my 'rest' cards lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1758 on: August 22, 2020, 11:26:27 AM »

Sit ups are my 'rest' cards lol

Same!  I'll run situps suit no problem.  It's when I get K-6-J of Burpees, Or 5 clubs in a row, when clubs are power-jumps that has me shouting "random, my ass!" at my phone. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1759 on: August 23, 2020, 01:07:19 AM »
Felt so good that I skipped rest day today and ran two days in a row. With that, week 4 is done and I'm back on schedule. Week 5 begins on Tuesday, and barring some unexpected trauma, I definitely feel I can do the whole thing now. I really enjoy it, too.

On that note, I recently ordered a bunch of t-shirts along with the Haken's new album pre-order, and there was a sale in the shop where they offered you 3 t-shirts for about $8. The choice was very limited so I ended up getting Von Hertzen Brothers medium sized shirt, while the rest of the shirts were large. They arrived this week and surprisingly, the medium one fits me the best. Before I started the whole losing weight thing, I always got the XL ones. I gave some of them to my dad now. :lol

It's encouraging to see progress.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: August 23, 2020, 05:06:55 AM »
Good stuff Ruslan.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1761 on: August 23, 2020, 05:12:13 AM »
My running challenge has been one of the most difficult things I've ever done.  I have 9 days left and 58km to go.  The last fortnight, my right ankle has been fucked.  I think it's just from overuse but my 12km run today was excruciating from the first step.  I'm not sure what's going on.  Everything is just so super tight that it's restricting movement and can't flex my ankle without extreme pain or there's a small possibility I may have some sort of minute fracture or something in my foot, I dunno.  Been stretching and rolling, but basically I'm just going to keep going and get it done.  There's a point on the shin that's sore to touch.  I probably should research shin splints and other possibly solutions but I couldn't be fucked, I'll just work though it.

I have absolutely nothing to prove and it's not like I've advertised it, it's just a personal challenge I set myself and because I decided to do it, I HAVE to complete it, at all costs.  Surely I wouldn't be able to run on a hairline break or something so I'm thinking it's just muscular.  My speed is definitely slower though. 

Also, if anyone needs inspiration in relation to their workout and their goals, just watch some David Goggins vids on youtube.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: August 23, 2020, 07:36:56 AM »
Just be careful not to push it Kade. I know you want to accomplish personal goals but if the pain is that bad you might have to dial it back and do it another time. Your running is impressive

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1763 on: August 23, 2020, 08:01:46 AM »
Just be careful not to push it Kade. I know you want to accomplish personal goals but if the pain is that bad you might have to dial it back and do it another time. Your running is impressive

This so much man.... you don't want to injure yourself (there's a difference between pain and injury, and it sounds like you're into the injury territory.   Don't risk short term problems, or worse - long term problems.  I always remembered a sign at a gym I went to in my 20s - build the body, not the ego.  What your doing is tantamount to pushing heavy weights around with shit form, risking injury.  There's a difference between quitting, and conceding or accepting defeat.  This goal seems like it was not reasonably attainable.  "at all costs" is not a wise mind-set.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1764 on: August 23, 2020, 02:08:06 PM »
Thanks lads.  Will be careful.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1765 on: August 23, 2020, 06:07:56 PM »

No you won’t.  :lol  You’re a dumbass stubborn SOB. You’re gonna hit those final 58 KMs like there’s no tomorrow.   ;D

Then be in pain for months.  ;)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1766 on: August 23, 2020, 10:32:35 PM »

No you won’t.  :lol  You’re a dumbass stubborn SOB. You’re gonna hit those final 58 KMs like there’s no tomorrow.   ;D

:lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1767 on: August 24, 2020, 12:17:44 AM »
Kade, Chad mentioned the word “Tantamount “.....that means business.....he also mentioned a gym he was a part of in the 90’s.........listen to Chad, please dial it down and take it easy.....no injuries, take your time, listen to WASP, watch Seinfeld, and don’t get injured please!  :metal
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 12:25:20 AM by jjrock88 »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1768 on: August 24, 2020, 12:40:03 AM »

I'd say I'm complete fucking moron truthfully.  :lol

My foot is pretty sore today so I am actually leaning towards letting this one go at this stage.  You are right though.  I'll try to the death!  ;D

Offline H2

« Reply #1769 on: August 24, 2020, 03:54:16 AM »
Wrapping up Insanity month 1 pretty soon, and I've been following their nutrition guide for fun. Easy to fit everything in the schedule due to quarantine. Getting good results.

I was thinking about running P90X next, then Insanity Asylum, then P90X2. Anyone have any experience with those programs?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: August 24, 2020, 05:44:13 AM »
Soooooo......I may or may not have done a 7km run tonight in the gym.  ;D  I wrapped the fuck out of that ankle!  It was a nice moderate pace to what I'm use to and pulled up not too bad.  I'm being careful lads I promise.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1771 on: August 24, 2020, 06:05:49 AM »
Well i've dropped a few lbs below 12 stone ( 168 lb ) so i'm happy.

I've stopped overdoing the exercise and have just been working more hours...Plus drinking pints of water at work...

Seems to be helping.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CERQIotnY2b/  This was taken this morning. :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1772 on: August 24, 2020, 07:57:21 AM »
Soooooo......I may or may not have done a 7km run tonight in the gym.  ;D  I wrapped the fuck out of that ankle!  It was a nice moderate pace to what I'm use to and pulled up not too bad.  I'm being careful lads I promise.

Good... that's a step in the right direction.  :neverusethis:

@H... yeah, I've done P90x many times.  Thoroughly enjoy it, though after doing the program by following the vids 4 times, I'm kinda sick of Tony's voice - and know the dialogue verbatim.  I still use the vid for Yoga-X, but otherwise, I just have a workout log that has the movements programmed in to them.  I do very much enjoy it, and might give another go at it in the winter.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1773 on: August 24, 2020, 09:39:20 AM »
So 10+ years ago I went from 260lbs to 190 lbs in the span of about 10 months. And in the years since saw 260 again, and then finally on Aug. 16 I saw 270lbs for the first time.

Finally using that to break some bad habits. I'm getting a smidgen more exercise, but really I've just made major adjustments to my eating. Started that on Aug. 19.

Results this morning, Aug. 24, already down 8lbs to 262lbs. I know that rate won't continue for long, but it is majorly reinforcing to see that kind of positive change.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1774 on: August 24, 2020, 09:56:59 AM »
So 10+ years ago I went from 260lbs to 190 lbs in the span of about 10 months. And in the years since saw 260 again, and then finally on Aug. 16 I saw 270lbs for the first time.

Finally using that to break some bad habits. I'm getting a smidgen more exercise, but really I've just made major adjustments to my eating. Started that on Aug. 19.

Results this morning, Aug. 24, already down 8lbs to 262lbs. I know that rate won't continue for long, but it is majorly reinforcing to see that kind of positive change.
Great that you got started back on the healthy living track. Nutrition is the best starting point, too, since it makes up the base of the health and fitness pyramid. Look forward to hearing about your progress as someone who also went from 280 in high school, down to 175 in university, and back up as high as 250 again before getting my shit together.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1775 on: August 24, 2020, 10:00:24 AM »

nice, keep it up.  And I agree, seeing some positive change is a huge reinforcement to keep going because you know the work you are putting in is showing in the results.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1776 on: August 24, 2020, 10:19:47 AM »

nice, keep it up.  And I agree, seeing some positive change is a huge reinforcement to keep going because you know the work you are putting in is showing in the results.

I wouldn't even call it work, it's just restraint. I can probably get to 220 easily on basic restraint alone. Main thing is cutting back in HUGE amounts the amount of food I put away when home. I'm usually good at work, but nights and weekends are my main issue.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: August 24, 2020, 10:55:38 AM »
Restraint is definitely work in my mind, that takes an awful lot of mental and even physical (stomach growls and feelings of hunger) to restrain, especially the first week of adjusting to the new eating routine. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1778 on: August 24, 2020, 03:27:14 PM »

I wouldn't even call it work, it's just restraint. I can probably get to 220 easily on basic restraint alone. Main thing is cutting back in HUGE amounts the amount of food I put away when home. I'm usually good at work, but nights and weekends are my main issue.

Good work mate.

Nights and weekends are always super tough.  Finding alternate lower calorie options that still have good volume is key.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1779 on: August 24, 2020, 03:35:08 PM »
I went way too hard with working the abs Saturday. Abs are my least favorite part of the body to work, so when I do them, I go hard, but... holy crap I couldn't walk totally upright last night, or today  :lol

Offline H2

« Reply #1780 on: August 25, 2020, 06:40:01 PM »
You can do it, Nick!  :heart

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1781 on: August 26, 2020, 05:38:30 AM »

Nick, I'm not sure how on to it you are with your calories and if you know how much you are taking in, but if night time and weekends are your weakness (which I relate to) then when you get full control over your food and what you eat maybe look at fasting and calorie cycling.

I eat most my food at night but my intake through the day is low to allow for the extra feeding at night.  You really really need to know what you are doing though or else things could go very wrong.  Fasting is great but I prefer just a protein shake or two and some tuna and veg through the day.  Have done up to 20 hour fasting and while it's effective, overeating is a strong possibility which I found.  Low calorie through the day works better for me.

Calorie cycling could basically allow you to significantly cut your calories through the week and make up for them on the weekend yet still possibly be in a defeceit.  Very effective but again you need to be on point with your intake.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1782 on: August 26, 2020, 07:37:25 AM »
I eat most my food at night but my intake through the day is low to allow for the extra feeding at night.

This has effectively become my eating habit as well.  Drinking a coffee in the morning and the afternoon has really help curb my appetite during the day and then I'll consume a full on meal for dinner and late night snack because I can't sleep if I'm hungry.  I really enjoy like fiber bars or similar for that late night snack as well, helps keep you full for the rest of the night and is low calorie. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1783 on: August 26, 2020, 07:55:16 AM »
I eat most my food at night but my intake through the day is low to allow for the extra feeding at night.

This has effectively become my eating habit as well.  Drinking a coffee in the morning and the afternoon has really help curb my appetite during the day and then I'll consume a full on meal for dinner and late night snack because I can't sleep if I'm hungry.  I really enjoy like fiber bars or similar for that late night snack as well, helps keep you full for the rest of the night and is low calorie.

Lately I try to do all my eating before 5:30PM. I typically only allow myself 200 calories after that time unless I have company over or something. I haven't had tobacco of any kind in three days now and all I want to do is eat. It's terrible.

On a positive note, I hit 219 this morning which is a total of 81.2 pounds lost  :metal My clothes are starting to look like shit on me, and my XL wardrobe that I kept boxed up from 10 years ago is laughable. I can't believe the style I was into back then. I'm going to need all new clothes  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1784 on: August 26, 2020, 08:04:58 AM »
 :lol thats a good problem