Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 190485 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. liftin' and losin'
« Reply #1995 on: October 25, 2020, 07:43:52 PM »
I agree with following something strict, but also that loading the phone up is a buzzkill. When I actually went to the gym back in the day (back in March), I kept all my workouts on an index card, so I could quickly check what my new weight would be and so on. It worked well for me.
If i had to go to a gym I'd do the same thing too. Way better than a phone

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1996 on: October 25, 2020, 08:32:02 PM »
I agree with following something strict, but also that loading the phone up is a buzzkill. When I actually went to the gym back in the day (back in March), I kept all my workouts on an index card, so I could quickly check what my new weight would be and so on. It worked well for me.

I also have a couple of notebooks with routines (weights, and HIIT) in them.  I've also used few apps for better/easier tracking.  The Athlean routines come with a portal to follow the program, and track results, which is very handy (to see what weight/rep/sets I was at the last time I did a particular exercise).  Progressive overload, BABY!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1997 on: October 25, 2020, 09:36:53 PM »
Cheers for the thoughts lads.  Breaking it down I guess it wouldn't be that much of a distraction.  I guess I should try a strict program sometimes and see what I can get out of it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline H2

« Reply #1998 on: October 26, 2020, 09:31:53 AM »
If i had to go to a gym I'd do the same thing too. Way better than a phone
Another benefit is that it forced me to adequately game-plan for workouts by sitting down and writing out what I was going to do. Also, during the workout, it's kinda nice to have a benchmark, especially on days where I'm feeling lazy. "I just have to do these sets, then I get to go home"

@ JingleBoy
After getting runners knee, and getting kinda bored/stressed out with doing Insanity for 3 months, I think I am switching to P90X. I kinda want to get some of that resistance training back in now that I am pretty leaned out from Insanity. I've lifted at a high-intermediate level before (multi-plate bench, deadlift, squat), but honestly haven't lifted since March. Think I'll be OK? Should I do P90, P90X3, or something else instead? I just bought some dumbbells that go up to 66 pounds.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1999 on: October 26, 2020, 09:44:26 AM »
The resistance training in P90x is about 1/2 body-weight; 1/2 DBs.  You'll need the latter for shoulder work, biceps, some triceps, and additional weight for legs (eg, lunges).  Chest is exclusively pushups; back is exclusively pullups - so you'll need a pullup bar.  The program inter-mixes cardio and resistance about 50/50.  Whatever you need for a shoulder press, that's probably the heaviest DB weight you'd need.

I've never done any of them other than p90x, so I can't comment on those.  I think it's a great program overall.  I've done it fully 3 times over the years, and often used the individual routines in-and-of-themselves.  In fact, I was gonna load it up after I finish the program I'm in right now.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2000 on: October 26, 2020, 09:53:31 AM »
Since the cold's begun seeping in, I've set a new goal for myself. With a deck of cards workout, I do 104 reps of each exercise. Well, my uncle is in his early 60s and after he retired he started biking and exercising like crazy, lost over 100 pounds and now he does 500 pushups and 500 situps every day, as well as other exercises and biking anywhere from 30-60 (or much more) miles a day. So I have no excuse! This weekend I went after it. On Saturday I did 200 pushups and 200 situps. I feel like death right now, but I'm working to get to that point. With no gym, and no weights, I gotta get creative, and the idea of being able to bang out 100 pushups whenever I want is a really tantalizing goal, so I'll be back at it today with another 200 pushups/situps. And it's super attainable since I just have to throw on a podcast and go for it. I have a thing about mindless repetition and chasing those high numbers scratches some kind of mental itch for me.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2001 on: October 26, 2020, 09:59:18 AM »
Suggestion for you MJ... invest in one of those doorway pullup bars.  I see 'em on Amazon for about $60CAD.  Pullups are a great full-body movement - forearms, shoulders, biceps, back.  No, you're kind tall, so it might be a tight fit - when I was using the doorway bar, my knees almost touched the ground.  IMO, pull-up bar is fundamental for any home gym plans.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2002 on: October 26, 2020, 10:04:17 AM »
Suggestion for you MJ... invest in one of those doorway pullup bars.  I see 'em on Amazon for about $60CAD.  Pullups are a great full-body movement - forearms, shoulders, biceps, back.  No, you're kind tall, so it might be a tight fit - when I was using the doorway bar, my knees almost touched the ground.  IMO, pull-up bar is fundamental for any home gym plans.

I've thought about them but I just don't trust putting that much stress on the doorway. Note that I know nothing about architecture or the structural integrity of doorways in this context but I have mad anxiety about using those, just exerting that much downward force while lifting a 200 pound man doesn't seem like a good idea to me. If I did buy one it would wait until I buy a house, frankly.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2003 on: October 26, 2020, 10:13:14 AM »

I've thought about them but I just don't trust putting that much stress on the doorway. Note that I know nothing about architecture or the structural integrity of doorways in this context but I have mad anxiety about using those, just exerting that much downward force while lifting a 200 pound man doesn't seem like a good idea to me. If I did buy one it would wait until I buy a house, frankly.

In theory, the heavier you are, the more secure it'll be.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2004 on: October 26, 2020, 11:17:14 AM »

In theory, the heavier you are, the more secure it'll be.

Brian's got it.  They way the physics works, there is very little downward pressure.  It's more like a vice.  It essentially 'squeezes' the wall via the door frame.  I was a svelt 215lbs at one point when I used it, and never an issue.

This one actually looks great, and gives you additional clearance

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2005 on: October 26, 2020, 11:32:40 AM »
Interesting! I will pick one up then. Pull ups are the thing I need to improve the most.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2006 on: October 26, 2020, 11:52:23 AM »
Pro-tip: Don't ever run through the doorway and tried to swing on the bar like Tarzan. It's meant to be secure with vertical movement, not horizontal movement. Back in college I did that and ended up immobile for about two weeks with a back injury.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: October 26, 2020, 12:01:37 PM »
Pro-tip: Don't ever run through the doorway and tried to swing on the bar like Tarzan. It's meant to be secure with vertical movement, not horizontal movement. Back in college I did that and ended up immobile for about two weeks with a back injury.

Yeah, but did you make it in the campus paper?   :lol

This can be considered "The Pre-Chino"

Offline H2

« Reply #2008 on: October 26, 2020, 01:14:24 PM »
The only doorways in my place are such that I can't lift myself over the bar without hitting my head on the ceiling (the ceiling connect to the top of the door frame). ;_;

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2009 on: October 27, 2020, 10:22:25 AM »
Didn't know where to post this.....this seemed like the most related thread.

This past weekend I had quite the physical workout. Saturday morning I ran an 8 mile trail run race...which for some would seem far which it is but it's really manageable for those who run a bit. Then, I went from that to a reunion Legion Baseball game where I caught all 5 innings of the scrimmage. Live pitching, balls and strikes....a legit baseball game. It was a blast!! It had been 26 years since I faced live pitching or had thrown the catching gear on. Had so much fun!!! Then sunday night I played two ice hockey games. Played my regular league game and filled in for another team.

My legs were a tad tired Monday  :lol  Still some residual body soreness....especially in my right arm from throwing so many balls back to the pitcher and down to second base.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2010 on: October 27, 2020, 02:58:11 PM »
That distance is indeed manageable, but inclines still kill me if there's too many of them.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2011 on: October 27, 2020, 03:03:24 PM »
That distance is indeed manageable, but inclines still kill me if there's too many of them.

The state park that the race is held in is nothing but hills...so, not much of it is very level. It's a lot of varying terrain. I run a Half Marathon trail race at the same state park each spring and it's name is the 'Quiver River Quivering Quads'  :lol  And it's aptly named given after 13.1 miles of those hills your quads are indeed quivering.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2012 on: October 27, 2020, 03:08:45 PM »

The state park that the race is held in is nothing but hills...so, not much of it is very level. It's a lot of varying terrain. I run a Half Marathon trail race at the same state park each spring and it's name is the 'Quiver River Quivering Quads'  :lol  And it's aptly named given after 13.1 miles of those hills your quads are indeed quivering.

Wow mate, that's bloody epic.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2013 on: October 27, 2020, 03:16:32 PM »

Wow mate, that's bloody epic.

It's more difficult each year.....and the time it takes me to complete it increases as well. In 2012 when I ran my first one there I finished it in 2 hours 6 minutes......which is pretty fast for me considering it's all trail run. Over the years I've typically been around the 2 hour 20-30 minute range as I've aged.

This past spring my time was 2 hours 47 minutes. I stay moving the whole time and don't walk but my pace is nothing like it used to be.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2014 on: October 27, 2020, 03:20:31 PM »
How long have you been running for?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2015 on: October 27, 2020, 04:24:32 PM »

Just over 2.5 hours. Are you not paying attention?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2016 on: October 27, 2020, 06:36:54 PM »

Just over 2.5 hours. Are you not paying attention?

You all know I'm shit at paying attention!  :biggrin:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2017 on: October 27, 2020, 07:11:23 PM »

Since 2007....really got into it after I lost 75lbs and  From about 2009-2017 I ran minimum of 5 miles 4-6 days a week.

The last couple year it’s been more along the lines of 2-3 days a week. I run that spring trail half every year and usually this fall 8 mile run also. I’ve done two full marathons and I honestly would have to sit and figure out how many half marathons. I was doing two or three a summer back when I was running all the time.

These days I run more for the mental health aspect of it than the actual exercise aspect. I find if it’s been a day or two and I haven’t ran I start getting cranky.

Never thought I’d be a ‘runner’ but I do enjoy it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2018 on: October 27, 2020, 09:12:25 PM »

Since 2007....really got into it after I lost 75lbs and  From about 2009-2017 I ran minimum of 5 miles 4-6 days a week.

The last couple year it’s been more along the lines of 2-3 days a week. I run that spring trail half every year and usually this fall 8 mile run also. I’ve done two full marathons and I honestly would have to sit and figure out how many half marathons. I was doing two or three a summer back when I was running all the time.

These days I run more for the mental health aspect of it than the actual exercise aspect. I find if it’s been a day or two and I haven’t ran I start getting cranky.

Never thought I’d be a ‘runner’ but I do enjoy it.

I can relate to a lot of this, especially the bolded parts.  5 miles 4-6 days a week is absolutely huge numbers too mate.  I'd love to do that but my work schedule probably wouldn't allow me to push those sorts of numbers.

Well done on the weight loss too.  It's amazing how it's hard in the past trying to loose weight, but becoming a runner and doing decent distances, it's hard keeping the weight on haha!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2019 on: October 27, 2020, 09:21:54 PM »
Just popping in to say that what you guys do running is awesome.

Not for me though. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2020 on: October 27, 2020, 09:36:33 PM »
Just popping in to say that what you guys do running is awesome.

Not for me though. ;D

Thanks pal.  It definitely ain't for everyone.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2021 on: October 27, 2020, 10:14:12 PM »
Not for me either, but certainly impressive.

I wasn't feeling the hottest the last two days so I took a break from the routine, hit the bike hard this morning though to try and make up for some of it.  I also went to the same local park again on Friday (I was off from work) and hit one of the trails I didnt do last time and did one of the others again.  Really enjoyed these walks.  Hope the weather is good enough again this weekend to keep doing them.  I think I'll try the next longer one next time too. Tthis is in conjunction to my bike riding as these walks dont really add up to the calorie burning I get from the bike, but adds a nice change of pace/scenery to keep things fresh.

Also, is there anything more peaceful than walking through the woods with no one around and nothing but the sounds of nature?

And one thing I noticed, is there's a few joggers going through on these and I got to give them credit.  Not just for running and exercising, but it takes a certain amount of agility and balance to not fall.  Even just walking, a few times I almost stumbled slipping on leaves or from a tree branch on the ground.  Reading Gary's run and thinking about my walks, makes me think that these runners are even more impressive than I thought.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: October 27, 2020, 11:29:23 PM »
Marc...I’ve wiped out hard a handful of times. Trail running takes a lot of concentration. You can kick a root or rock at any moment and bust your a$$.  :lol  Which I’ve done. It’s a horrible feeling as it’s happening because it’s so sudden and unexpected. It always happens when you start not paying attention.....especially late in races when your legs are more tired and your feet start to drag a bit.

But that’s what makes it fun. There can be stretches of time when it’s just you and the woods and the trail and no one else around. It’s very peaceful. Much more enjoyable than a road or track run.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2023 on: October 27, 2020, 11:46:28 PM »
Yea, I can totally see that happening, also in the middle of a trail, if you hurt yourself, you aren't getting back very easily.  Just makes me think how much harder and more intense that type of running is and I never really thought about it before since I'm really not a runner.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2024 on: October 28, 2020, 12:02:14 AM »
The very high risk of injury always astounded me with people doing that sort of running.  I'm pretty gumby as it is so reckon I'd hurt myself very easily haha.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2025 on: October 28, 2020, 07:33:28 AM »
The very high risk of injury always astounded me with people doing that sort of running.  I'm pretty gumby as it is so reckon I'd hurt myself very easily haha.

I'm also a long-time trail-runner, and while I've definitely caught a root once or twice, in the fifteen years I've been running (which is at least 15,000 miles, give or take), I've never once rolled my ankle or otherwise had any sort of major injury. As others have stated, I think the constant vigilence (nothing forces you to be more present and in the moment like a trail run) of running on uneven ground is an assett.

The training pays dividends when it comes to road races. I ran a 10k last year on a lark, having not run a single mile on asphalt all summer, but the day of the race, I couldn't believe my speed. All that unintentional hill work paid off, and I wound up winning the damn thing.

You also need to grade trail running differently. An 8 minute mile on trails is pretty fast for me (anything faster is almost dangerous), but I'm a 6 minute mile easy on road, so there's definitely a different scale there as well.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2026 on: October 28, 2020, 07:46:24 AM »
Good point on the sliding scale of time. When I road run I can knock 5 miles out in 40 minutes give or take a few. It’s definitely less demanding

And, I’m the same on the trail injuries. I’ve yet to roll an ankle or really hurt myself. Just a few kicked roots and rocks and some wipeouts.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2027 on: October 28, 2020, 09:10:38 AM »
The rolling of the ankle is a big reason why I don't run.  I have terrible ankles.  I'm flat footed and my ankles are double jointed (I can bend them naturally in ways they should not be bent) and it's lead to loose knees.  I've rolled my ankle and bent my knee sideways just from stumbling while walking many times, so even when I walk a trail, I'm pretty damn slow because I'm trying to keep balance and not trip up.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2028 on: October 28, 2020, 01:42:12 PM »
The rolling of the ankle is a big reason why I don't run.  I have terrible ankles.  I'm flat footed and my ankles are double jointed (I can bend them naturally in ways they should not be bent) and it's lead to loose knees.  I've rolled my ankle and bent my knee sideways just from stumbling while walking many times, so even when I walk a trail, I'm pretty damn slow because I'm trying to keep balance and not trip up.

I've always been a bit gumby and my balance is shocking but with anything, you get better with practice.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2029 on: October 28, 2020, 02:25:15 PM »
Home from vacation! Now tomorrow morning I get to step on the scale for the first time in a week and see how badly I did while away.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1