Author Topic: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: King Crimson)  (Read 118900 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Triumph)
« Reply #490 on: May 11, 2015, 04:19:17 PM »
Allied Forces is a great album. All the way through.
Rik Emmett was fantastic.
I've posted the pic before, but he sang at my buddy's wedding.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: May 11, 2015, 04:22:54 PM »
Great band and album - this one and Surveillance are my favourites.

Me too.

An underrated band that deserves more recognition. I'm a big fan

Offline jammindude

« Reply #492 on: May 11, 2015, 04:23:11 PM »
Triumph is easily one of the most under-rated bands in existence.   The run of Allied Forces thru Thunder Seven is one of the best three album punches in rock.  (and Just a Game shouldn't get left behind either)

My favorite of all of Rik's acoustical pieces is Midsummer Night's Daydream from Thunder Seven, but they are all amazing. 

I just wish the band had been managed better.   I had heard they were going to remaster their entire catalog, but didn't have the money, so they just remixed some tracks in a greatest hits form.   Haven't heard it yet, but I'm not usually for re-mixing except for in the most extreme circumstances. 

But this is just an amazing album. Now I have to go pull it out.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: May 11, 2015, 04:26:09 PM »
From what I've seen they put on a cool live show as well

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #494 on: May 11, 2015, 04:27:19 PM »
From what I've seen they put on a cool live show as well

I only saw them once, the night they filmed the Follow Your Heart video.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #495 on: May 11, 2015, 04:38:58 PM »
Another show we were at Tim.

I saw them on The Sport Of Kings tour as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #496 on: May 11, 2015, 04:40:25 PM »
A couple of friends, who are a bit older than me, always say that in the early 80s, when it came to awesome arena light and stage shows, Rush and Triumph were 1a and 1b.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #497 on: May 11, 2015, 06:09:14 PM »
A couple of friends, who are a bit older than me, always say that in the early 80s, when it came to awesome arena light and stage shows, Rush and Triumph were 1a and 1b.
Yeah that's true. One of my best friends was very into both bands and convinced me to see them. Honestly I was underwhelmed by each bands' performance, but the lasers were spectacular.

The only other band that I remember using lasers to that extent was Dio.

Offline emtee

« Reply #498 on: May 11, 2015, 06:18:43 PM »
Allied Forces would be tied with Wish You Were Here for most overall lifetime spins. Albeit many years ago, but every single day for a
couple years I spun this album. If I compiled a lifetime top 30 this would in it. Tons of memories and countless hours of listening
bliss.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: May 11, 2015, 06:19:08 PM »
Sacred Heart tour TIM?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jammindude

« Reply #500 on: May 11, 2015, 06:19:50 PM »
Yeah that's true. One of my best friends was very into both bands and convinced me to see them. Honestly I was underwhelmed by each bands' performance, but the lasers were spectacular.

The only other band that I remember using lasers to that extent was Dio.

I never saw them, but wasn't Blue Oyster Cult another band who had a reputation for laser shows?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #501 on: May 11, 2015, 06:21:48 PM »
Sacred Heart tour TIM?

Well, the first time I saw them was 8/20/84 in Providence on the Last In Line tour, but yes, I saw both passes through Providence for Sacred Heart.

I never saw them, but wasn't Blue Oyster Cult another band who had a reputation for laser shows?
Never saw them either, but you may be right. I don't really remember.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #502 on: May 11, 2015, 08:06:41 PM »
Ahhhh Triumph. Killer album, not a mistake on it, and Magic Power is single handedly responsible for really sparking my musical passion at the wee age I was at. Saw them live a few times, Thunder 7 and Sport of Kings I think, both fucking incredible shows, though they paled a bit to Emmit's first solo tour for the Absolutely album where I was front row with my elbows mere inches away from his feet.

Calvin6s

« Reply #503 on: May 12, 2015, 05:59:54 AM »
Request:
Can KevShmev edit the first post to include links to the beginning of each sub thread (band/album).  Most of these bands I am fully aware of yet don't own most of the albums.  When I get some more time, I'd like to revisit them a bit more closely and read the comments to zero in on some "classic" songs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #504 on: May 12, 2015, 06:15:30 AM »
Emmit's first solo tour for the Absolutely album where I was front row with my elbows mere inches away from his feet.
Yes, saw this tour too. Was supposed to be an outdoor show for Earth Day in what..'91 maybe. Got rained out so it was held in a small club, and we were at the stage for it. Forgot about that.

My friend put on a few of those "Grass Roots" shows which resulted in his Live At Berkley album. Saw one of those shows in a small music room at Berkley. Very cool.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #505 on: May 12, 2015, 08:39:01 AM »
Triumph is the 2nd greatest Canadian rock trio of all the times.  :metal
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #506 on: May 12, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »
I only have a Triumph best of, but it's really good.
This.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #507 on: May 12, 2015, 11:30:56 AM »
Triumph were never on my radar back in the 80s. They weren't known much in the UK as far as i was aware. First time I heard of them was when Hugo covered Magic Power, a great track.
Heard this a couple of years ago and liked it. Very good band. I think I would have been all over it back in the day.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #508 on: May 12, 2015, 02:38:21 PM »
Yup, Anvil was the greatest! ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: May 12, 2015, 02:57:33 PM »
Yup, Anvil was the greatest! ;D

*Bitch Slaps*

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #510 on: May 12, 2015, 03:36:27 PM »
Request:
Can KevShmev edit the first post to include links to the beginning of each sub thread (band/album).   

I can list each album in the first post, but I have no clue how to link to individual posts.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #511 on: May 12, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
Kev, at the top of the post that you want to link to, right click on the title link (where it says "Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Triumph)"), and then select "Copy shortcut."  Then paste in the first post.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #512 on: May 12, 2015, 04:33:30 PM »
Heh, you learn something new every day. :lol

First post updated.  :coolio

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #513 on: May 12, 2015, 04:35:51 PM »
Wow, didn't realize we've been through so many albums already.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #514 on: May 12, 2015, 04:38:40 PM »
Agreed.  Looking at the list, I am pleased with how I have mixed it up.  There's rock, metal, pop, punk, rap and dance all in there, and there are still plenty of obvious classics to get to, which I am admittedly trying to space out, so as not to feature all of the heavyweights too early.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #515 on: May 13, 2015, 06:41:41 AM »
I presume that Mojo Nixon will be included.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Rush)
« Reply #516 on: May 14, 2015, 11:31:34 AM »
Because I am seeing them tonight...

I am not sure what I can say about Moving Pictures that hasn't been said over the years by many, including myself.  It's almost easy to take this album for granted, because so many of us have heard the songs and seen them live so many times, but I never fail to be amazed at the songwriting, lyrics, sound and musicianship on this record.  Side 1 always gets the most attention, understandably since all four tunes are stone cold classic - "Red Barchetta" is still my favorite, and "Tom Sawyer" is still Rush's most popular and recognizable song, and for good reason; it is a killer tune - but "The Camera Eye" is a damn fine tune, and "Witch Hunt" is one of the more underrated Rush songs ever. Throw in "YYZ" and "Limelight," and the greatness of this album is almost unfair. :hat

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: May 14, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »
Imagine at the hype of Rush this only sold 2.6 million.  Yet, everybody can tell you, "Oh yeah, Tom Saywer".

Offline jammindude

« Reply #518 on: May 14, 2015, 11:40:30 AM »
Most of the time, I disagree with the masses on what any particular artists "great albums" are.    But with this one, the masses got it right.   This album totally deserves all the praise and reverence it gets.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #519 on: May 14, 2015, 11:41:49 AM »
Yep, it's not always accurate to look at sales and the charts to gauge how popular and influential an album or song is.

Hell, just staying in the 80s, Physical by Olivia Newton-John was number 1 on the pop charts for 10 weeks (!!!), yet I doubt anybody considers that one of the best pop hits of the 80s anymore.

Meanwhile, Don't Stop Believin' was a minor hit, getting to number 9 on the pop charts, yet most people acknowledge now that it is one of THE defining rock songs of the 80s.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #520 on: May 14, 2015, 11:43:16 AM »
I liked "Physical."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: May 14, 2015, 12:00:07 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #522 on: May 14, 2015, 12:08:51 PM »
I liked the song, too.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: May 14, 2015, 12:12:46 PM »
What a great album this is. I am a pretty newish Rush fan, I've only listened to them for 3-4 years, but this one I instantly loved and still hold as their very best. The Camera Eye is among my Top 3 Rush songs (with Xanadu and Marathon), but Limelight and Red Barchetta is up there too in the Top 10. Witch Hunt would be my least favourite here, but it's still a fine one. Tom Sawyer is a real classic, and YYZ is great as well.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: May 14, 2015, 12:34:43 PM »
I liked the song, too.

I did too but not enough to buy an album.

Kev, this album has my favorite Geddy growl on bass.  My favorite tone for him.