Author Topic: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: King Crimson)  (Read 117489 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: The Clash)
« Reply #350 on: April 25, 2015, 05:42:45 PM »
I don't like this band or this album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Calvin6s

« Reply #351 on: April 25, 2015, 06:23:21 PM »
Complete London Calling Album on YouTube
I wouldn't post a complete album YT, but it was put up by Sony Music UK so I think it is perfectly legal.

London Calling and Train in Vain are the only two that do anything for me and that is probably due to radio play.  The album cover gives you the impression you are about to hear some serious aggro-punk ... and instead it borders on sounding like a 1950s sock hop.  Never made it into my music library, but I'd consider putting this into my music library.

As far as nostalgia, this was my swim coach's idea of the perfect band and perfect album.  There were at least four of us into Metallica at the time and the swim coach would constantly tell us "you want real music?  Then go get The Clash - London Calling."

I tried to get into it, but it never did much for me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #353 on: April 25, 2015, 10:04:47 PM »
I never really got into this one much either. I actually much preferred Combat Rock with SISoSIG, and Rock the Casbah.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #354 on: April 26, 2015, 04:34:08 AM »
Excellent album even though a bit too long.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #355 on: April 27, 2015, 08:26:30 AM »
I don't like this band or this album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Huey Lewis and the News)
« Reply #356 on: April 27, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »

Ah yes, another 80s album just loaded with songs that were both big hits and MTV mainstays.  "I Want a New Drug" and "If This Is It" are longtime favorites of mine, the latter of which is one of the most classic 80s videos ever, IMO.  Four top 10 hits and another top 20 song, all songs that have aged well.  Make no mistake about it, if anyone owned MTV in 1984, it was probably Huey Lewis and the News, thanks to Sports.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: April 27, 2015, 05:35:56 PM »
Huey and his band were definitely a "cut above" and one of the few pop rock acts that I got into to any degree.  My fave of his is Jacob's Ladder off the Fore album which (surprise,surprise) is about as guitar heavy as they got and ,incidentally, written by Bruce Hornsby.   The video for that song also had me in fits of laughter - I can't find a sharp copy on Youtube but Chris Hayes' facial expressions are priceless.

Sports seems to be his most highly respected album and is also top quality - just a bit too poppy for my taste in the end.  He did have some great vids too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #358 on: April 27, 2015, 06:29:43 PM »
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why I never actually owned a copy of this album.  I really liked everything I heard from it (and that goes for every Huey song I have ever heard, actually).  I really need to pick up this album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Calvin6s

« Reply #359 on: April 27, 2015, 06:50:41 PM »
My father had Huey Lewis - Sports, but I never did.  Definitely remember the MTV videos.  He was also in Back to the Future I believe.

The hit songs are good and probably wouldn't hurt to check out the arrangement to improve pop songwriting chops.  But I was always more of rock fan than a roll fan.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #360 on: April 27, 2015, 06:54:52 PM »
What's funny about the If This Is It video is there a clear nip slip in it, but I never noticed it until a few months ago, and VH1 Classic still plays it unedited, so they must not have caught it yet either. :lol  Note, when the two women roll over on the backs off of one of the band members, right after the guitar solo, the gal on our left has one clearly exposed.  And she looks like she couldn't care less. :lol :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #361 on: April 27, 2015, 06:58:32 PM »
Absolutely one of my favorite albums of all time.  Huey Lewis had a distinctive voice, tons of charisma, and the band gelled well together and were songwriting machines.  Just amazing. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Calvin6s

« Reply #362 on: April 27, 2015, 06:58:54 PM »
Going to YouTube right now.   :loser:

Offline T-ski

« Reply #363 on: April 28, 2015, 09:13:02 AM »
no one pumped the rock fist like Huey Lewis. 

always enjoyed their music and their videos were great.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #364 on: April 28, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
You could hum this whole album and not even know you are doing it.  So damn catchy, every song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #365 on: April 28, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »
You could hum this whole album and not even know you are doing it.  So damn catchy, every song.

I've never thought of it that way, but that is spot on.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: April 28, 2015, 11:17:25 AM »
Got into whatever album had "Power Of Love" on due to back To The Future...

Amazing pop song as is "Hip To Be Square".
 :coolio

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #367 on: April 28, 2015, 11:27:45 AM »
I think what I need to do is just go pick up a Huey Lewis greatest hits package (same with Hall & Oates). 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #368 on: April 28, 2015, 11:33:47 AM »
I think what I need to do is just go pick up a Huey Lewis greatest hits package (same with Hall & Oates).

I remember going to see Chicago and H&O was opening.  My wife said she really didn't know too many songs then went on to sing ever H&O song they played. :lol  CLOSET FAN I called her all night. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: April 28, 2015, 11:49:51 AM »
This is a great album!

We saw Huey Lewis and the News last summer for the 30th anniversary of Sports and once the concert got going (hey, it's difficult to get warmed up at their age) they were as good as ever.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #370 on: April 28, 2015, 11:57:08 AM »
I actually listened to this again not long ago.  Simply great.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #371 on: April 28, 2015, 03:48:53 PM »
Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #372 on: April 28, 2015, 03:50:59 PM »
Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

I was waiting for someone to post that. :lol :lol

I am shocked that you are jumping ahead instead of discussing the featured album. :biggrin: :lol

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #373 on: April 28, 2015, 03:52:59 PM »

Sorry just had to.  :lol

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #374 on: April 28, 2015, 10:26:28 PM »
Excellent album. Bad is Bad is one of my favorite songs from that era. But there is not a bad song on this entire record IMO.

Excellent music and a very nice guy too. Very real and kind.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Calvin6s

« Reply #375 on: April 28, 2015, 11:01:14 PM »
Love the Holland Oates.  I resisted them when I was younger (in public, in private I kinda knew I liked their hits).  But I love that *guy*.  Did we ruin the next album up for discussion?

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #376 on: April 29, 2015, 12:30:16 AM »

Ah yes, another 80s album just loaded with songs that were both big hits and MTV mainstays.  "I Want a New Drug" and "If This Is It" are longtime favorites of mine, the latter of which is one of the most classic 80s videos ever, IMO.  Four top 10 hits and another top 20 song, all songs that have aged well.  Make no mistake about it, if anyone owned MTV in 1984, it was probably Huey Lewis and the News, thanks to Sports.

Super album... always thought it kinda neat that Huey played on Thin Lizzy's awesome live album "Live and Dangerous". Not exactly the same styles but I'm a fan of both.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: April 29, 2015, 02:37:27 AM »

I am shocked that you are jumping ahead instead of discussing the featured album. :biggrin: :lol

I literally know nothing about the band so can't really contribute apart from those two songs ;D

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #378 on: April 29, 2015, 05:29:32 AM »
On MJ's Thriller: Super album, it boast 7(!) number one hits. But as an album, composition-wise and productionwise, Off the Wall was the better album.  :hat

Never got int o the Clash that much. Probably because they may have looked like a 'punkband', they never sounded like one in my ears. And I've heard plenty of punkbands in my time. Probably because they were to good musicians for it. (don''t forget, Bad Brains started off as a jazz/funk fusion band). The only songs I truely love by them is London Calling and Rock the Casbah.

Huey Lewis was cool. Too slick to be a rock band and too rock to be a popband. Catchy songs though....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Madonna)
« Reply #379 on: April 29, 2015, 03:18:06 PM »

Say what you want about Madonna, but she was one of a handful of artists who dominated the 80s, and Like a Prayer is usually looked at as her most classic album.  The title track alone is just a powerhouse of a track, and it's so funny to watch the video now and think that that was considered very controversial in 1989.  My, how things have changed! :lol :lol  If Michael Jackson was the King of Pop, this album solidified Madonna's status as the Queen of Pop.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: April 29, 2015, 03:54:12 PM »
My older sister listened to Madonna a ton when we were kids. I totally heard Express Yourself in " Born This Way " .

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #381 on: April 29, 2015, 03:59:42 PM »
Excellent album even though a bit too long.

Yep, it could do without some latter tracks but i don't think that hurts London Calling legacy.

As for Madonna, never was a fan even though i like some of her latter songs.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: April 29, 2015, 04:00:56 PM »
I had zero interest in Madonna as a kid apart from that book she did about metal  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: April 29, 2015, 04:04:19 PM »
I had zero interest in Madonna as a kid apart from that book she did about metal  ;D

Did it focus primarily on aluminium or copper ? Or maybe one of the other lesser known metals ?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: April 29, 2015, 04:12:59 PM »

Did it focus primarily on aluminium or copper ? Or maybe one of the other lesser known metals ?

I forgot to look at the words - sorry  :angel:

www.theguitardojo.com.au