Author Topic: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: King Crimson)  (Read 117594 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Marillion)
« Reply #595 on: May 19, 2015, 04:38:19 PM »
I actually didn't get Misplaced Childhood until a few years ago. Wasn't much of a Marillion fan at all, but I will say that when Kayleigh came out, I liked the song, and actually bought the 45.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #596 on: May 19, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
I had no idea who Marillion were until about 1997 when other DT fans talked about them on IRC.  Bought the Marillion "This Strange Engine" CD and just was not into it at all.  I listened to a couple of song recommendations back then and it really did nothing for me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #597 on: May 19, 2015, 05:08:55 PM »
Top 10 album of all time.  I was lucky to see them play this whole album opening for Rush on the Power Windows tour In 1986.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #598 on: May 19, 2015, 05:10:05 PM »
Marillion is one of those bands where I think some things are amazing and others just do absolutely nothing for me.

This is a classic album in prog circles...and I've heard that Lavender and Kayliegh were top 10 hits in the UK...but the album did almost nothing stateside.  No radio airplay, no promotion.   I would see the albums in record stores and I liked the artwork, but I didn't know a single person who had heard a note of the albums.   I also wouldn't hear anything from Marillion until I was working in a CD shop and got a pre-release of This Strange Engine.    I liked it quite a bit, so I did some digging, and picked this album up on vinyl for cheap. 

I really enjoy this album, but I've always felt Fish's singing left a lot to be desired.   Clutching at Straws is a better album IMO.    The album that *REALLY* turned me into a fan was Anaraknophobia.   That is still probably my favorite Marillion album...though Marbles gives it a run for its money. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #599 on: May 19, 2015, 05:18:02 PM »
I definitely like Script better.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: May 19, 2015, 05:22:27 PM »
I heard Kayliegh all the time locally and MTV played the video a ton.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #601 on: May 20, 2015, 12:54:21 AM »
When I bought this album I knew next to nothing about this band. When I put it on and started reading along with the lyrics, something happened. It was the whole athmosphere, the songs flowing into eachother, the inside covers 'grimy' look. Fish first reciting of 'A spider wanders amelessly within the warmth of a shadow' with this thick Scottish accent left me going 'what? what did he just say? and 'What the fuck is this guy going on about?' and made me going back and start listening to the lyrics even more. Maybe it was because my emotional state at that time was very simular to the one in the album, a man going down in alcohol and emotional turmoil. But this album struck a big nerve within me and still does after all these years. Sure there's the overplayed 'hits' but it's tracks like 'vocal under bloodlight' that made it clear to me that tis was something very special.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #602 on: May 20, 2015, 07:06:11 AM »
Never got into Marillion.  Does nothing for me whatsoever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: May 20, 2015, 07:08:27 AM »
I got to know of Marillion through a DVD commentary track where MP and JP talked about this album. I checked it out and I quite like a few tracks on it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: May 20, 2015, 07:52:59 AM »
I got into Marillion in I dunno, 2012.

Started with Afraid of Sunlight I picked up on a whim at a CD store.  Then I started to go back and get their entire discography.

Now I mostly listen to Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws.

I will say they release far too much material.. I can't buy every damn live CD/DVD/BluRay you put out, guys!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #605 on: May 20, 2015, 01:38:40 PM »
I got into Marillion last fall and have heard all their albums since then. Misplaced Childhood is a classic, but I think the second half is not as strong as the first IMO. I think there are stronger albums in their catalog, such as Clutching at Straws, Seasons End, Brave and Anoraknophobia.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Tom Petty)
« Reply #606 on: May 21, 2015, 03:27:31 PM »

Tom Petty tends to be one of those artists who gets on my nerves at times, yet I still like quite a few of his songs. Some are definitely on Full Moon Fever, especially "Runnin's Down a Dream," "A Face in the Crowd" and "Yer So Bad,"  I've always been rather ambivalent towards the two big hits, "Free Fallin'" and "I Won't Back Down."  I am not a fan of either, but I can see why both were so popular.  This was a solo album, as opposed to including the Heartbreakers, although this album did feature them, so I have never quite gotten why he called it a solo album.  Either way, it's a classic record.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #607 on: May 21, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »
Love Full Moon Fever. It was my all time favorite album for many years. Loved the album since I was a wee lad. The first half of the album is better than the second, but it's certainly a classic, and his overall best album. The unevenness does hurt it a little bit, but I do like all the songs.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #608 on: May 21, 2015, 04:03:37 PM »
I never owned this, but I like every song I have ever heard from it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: May 21, 2015, 04:17:16 PM »
Great album.  Tom has a knack of writing catchy tunes but Mike Cambell (sp?) Is Tom Petty's sound.  The man is a brilliant guitarist.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #610 on: May 21, 2015, 04:27:47 PM »
Never been much of a Tom Petty fan, but Runnin Down a Dream is an AWESOME song.   ...and Angus Young could almost sue for plagiarism over that particular riff.   But that's why I like it so much.  It sounds way more like an AC/DC song than a Tom Petty song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #611 on: May 21, 2015, 04:29:33 PM »
...and Angus Young could almost sue for plagiarism over that particular riff.   But that's why I like it so much.  It sounds way more like an AC/DC song than a Tom Petty song.

I have never heard anyone say that before.  And often, when I say "I have never heard anyone say that before," I can usually follow that up with "but, yeah, now that you mention it, I can see where you are coming from."  Not this time.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #612 on: May 21, 2015, 04:45:16 PM »
Yep, I think you are gonna be on an island by yourself on this one, jammindude. :lol :biggrin:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #613 on: May 21, 2015, 05:18:30 PM »
Huh weird.   I mentioned it once on a different board a long time ago and got the opposite reaction.   

That opening hammer on is just pure Angus to me.   Oh well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #614 on: May 21, 2015, 05:32:14 PM »
That opening hammer on is just pure Angus to me. 

Oh, that part?  Eh, I guess I can kind of see a similarity, but only a slight one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #615 on: May 21, 2015, 05:38:30 PM »
Never been much of a Tom Petty fan, but Runnin Down a Dream is an AWESOME song.   ...and Angus Young could almost sue for plagiarism over that particular riff.   But that's why I like it so much.  It sounds way more like an AC/DC song than a Tom Petty song.

Yeah, now that you mention it..Whole Lotta Rosie!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: May 21, 2015, 05:55:30 PM »
I Won't Back Down was right up there with songs by The Proclaimers in terms of irritating my ear drums as a kid and I can't say I've ever recovered in terms of wanting to check out any of his other stuff. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #617 on: May 21, 2015, 07:04:54 PM »
That opening hammer on is just pure Angus to me. 

Oh, that part?  Eh, I guess I can kind of see a similarity, but only a slight one.

Well....it's kinda the main riff for the whole song.   :-\

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #618 on: May 22, 2015, 11:42:15 AM »
Pretty good, but I prefer his older stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: May 22, 2015, 11:44:07 AM »
Damn the Torpedoes is my favorite but there are still some decent tracks on this one.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #620 on: May 22, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »
Love this album and TPatH in general.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Iron Maiden)
« Reply #621 on: May 23, 2015, 08:04:26 AM »

I admittedly have never been a big Iron Maiden fan at all, but even I can see why this is considered a classic metal record.  Nearly every song on it is considered a classic by their fans.  On the rare occasions where I want to listen to this band, the songs I reach for are "Run to the Hills," "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and "Children of the Damned."  I enjoy all of those.  Praise on this forum is going to be heaping for this record, so bring it on...;)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #622 on: May 23, 2015, 08:13:07 AM »
Not my favourite Maiden album, but the definition of the term "classic metal album". :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #623 on: May 23, 2015, 08:15:47 AM »
I'm not much of a Maiden fan, but this is a great album. Run to the Hills would be my favourite, but it's a very consistent album, with only the last two tracks being the weaker ones for me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: May 23, 2015, 08:17:25 AM »
I'm not much of a Maiden fan, but this is a great album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #625 on: May 23, 2015, 08:22:22 AM »
I recognize the stature of this album.  But I've never been able to get into Iron Maiden.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #626 on: May 23, 2015, 08:51:49 AM »
I recognize the stature of this album.  But I've never been able to get into Iron Maiden.

I'll probably be flamed for this, but I've always prefered IM with Di Anno on the vox. I absolutely love the first 2 IM albums.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline jammindude

« Reply #627 on: May 23, 2015, 09:03:25 AM »
This is THE defininitive Iron Maiden album.   I personally have a soft spot for Peace of Mind...but as time goes on, I recognize that this is truly the stronger album.

Gangland is the only weak track....why they swapped Total Eclipse for Gangland at the 11th Hour before pressing the album seems ridiculous how.   But I guess Steve also felt that it was a mistake since most newer pressings put Total Eclipse back in making it  now a 9 track album.

Blob!!  No love for Hallowed Be Thy Name??   Really???

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #628 on: May 23, 2015, 09:05:16 AM »
I love Maiden, but I was never huge on TNOTB. It's a great album, and I get the classic status, because it has Maiden's two biggest hit songs on it, as well as being the first album with Bruce on vocals, but overall it's not one of their best for me. Funny enough it's mainly due to the hit songs that I don't care for it, Run to the Hills have always been one of the weaker Maiden songs for me. I totally get why it's a hit and why other people like it, but I guess it's the case of being overplayed. Still, Hallowed Be thy Name, Children of the Damned, The Prisoner and Invaders makes this a really nice album.

I'd say it's a 8 out of 10 or so. Maiden has done much better albums (Powerslave, Seventh Son, A Matter of Life and Death among others) but it's still a very solid middle album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: May 23, 2015, 09:15:09 AM »
Not my favourite Maiden album, but the definition of the term "classic metal album". :metal