Author Topic: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: King Crimson)  (Read 117562 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Iron Maiden)
« Reply #665 on: May 26, 2015, 02:38:53 PM »
Well....rock radio played a big part too.   My first exposure to Iron Maiden was hearing Still Life on the radio.   That might be hard to believe, because Still Life was not a single.  I don't know why local rock radio chose to play that song first (it was a precursor to the album coming out) but rock radio was also behind Iron Maiden as well.
Wow, that is hard to believe. I can tell you that in Boston and Providence, they were NEVER played, unless it was the day of a show.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #666 on: May 26, 2015, 02:44:57 PM »
Thinking about it, Maiden could have other entries here because of all the classics 80s albums they have.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:54:30 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #667 on: May 26, 2015, 02:45:44 PM »
I think they bowed to public pressure.  Where I went to high school, the smoking area (another thing that might be hard to believe in this day and age...but yes...my high school had a smoking area for students) was flooded with Iron Maiden t-shirts. 

Between 1984 and 1986, I don't know of a single hard rock band that could sell out an arena like Iron Maiden....maybe Van Halen.  They were just freakin *that* big. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #668 on: May 26, 2015, 02:55:47 PM »
Yeah, even for Dio's Last In Line tour in 1984, they moved the stage to the halfway point of the Providence Civic Center.
Van Halen definitely was a sell out, and although I did not go see Priest's Defenders tour. I think that did pretty well too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #669 on: May 26, 2015, 03:06:53 PM »
Van Halen definitely was a sell out

First thing you've posted that I agree with all day.

:jumpshark:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #670 on: May 26, 2015, 03:10:24 PM »
Maiden got good airplay, along with a lot of other metal bands, long before there was a Headbanger's Ball. In fact, once they designated a few hours a week for metal you saw far less of it on a regular basis. In any event, NotB and POM both got good MTV coverage, and even some of the Dianno albums to a lesser degree.

And from a personal standpoint, the video of Icarus was what prompted me to go out and beg, borrow or steal POM and led me to conclude that those guys weren't bad.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #671 on: May 26, 2015, 03:14:01 PM »
Van Halen definitely was a sell out

First thing you've posted that I agree with all day.
First time you were right all day. ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #672 on: May 26, 2015, 03:41:33 PM »
Maiden got good airplay, along with a lot of other metal bands, long before there was a Headbanger's Ball. In fact, once they designated a few hours a week for metal you saw far less of it on a regular basis. In any event, NotB and POM both got good MTV coverage, and even some of the Dianno albums to a lesser degree.
Wasn't it called Metal Mania or something like that?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #673 on: May 26, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
Bart, that video encouraged myself and 3 other teenages to try and murder that dong in my friends garage.   Of course it was the drummers garage. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #674 on: May 26, 2015, 03:58:20 PM »
Bart, that video encouraged myself and 3 other teenages to try and murder that dong in my friends garage.   

Well, I suppose that's understandable, since it is not uncommon for teenagers to want to experiment with all those new feelings that are raging through their bodies.  But I have to admit, I have never heard it called that before.  You kids and your slang...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: May 26, 2015, 04:05:52 PM »
Holy shit!!  That is the funniest mistake. I ever made.  :lol

Song folks. Song. :lol

Btw, I did that murdering  myself. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #676 on: May 26, 2015, 04:11:09 PM »
Whew. I'm glad you weren't actually murdering your dong! :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: May 26, 2015, 04:14:07 PM »
I did have a slashing motion.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #678 on: May 26, 2015, 04:16:49 PM »
I did have a slashing motion.
Well, no wonder that..

My head turns purple ...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: May 26, 2015, 04:19:03 PM »
Now your stalking.  I am stalking worth though. :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: May 26, 2015, 04:38:34 PM »
I've heard of "stabbing the cat" but "murdering the dong"?  :omg:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #681 on: May 26, 2015, 05:50:03 PM »
And with three friends, no less.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #682 on: May 26, 2015, 05:59:56 PM »
And with three friends, no less.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: May 26, 2015, 06:04:17 PM »
It was a metal daisy chain.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #684 on: May 26, 2015, 06:05:58 PM »
Time for a new album, Kev! :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #685 on: May 26, 2015, 06:19:56 PM »
No doubt.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: May 26, 2015, 06:37:12 PM »
They're a 90'a band bosk1.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #687 on: May 26, 2015, 06:37:53 PM »
Wasn't it called Metal Mania or something like that?
I don't remember metal being treated any differently in the early days of MTV. I don't think there were enough videos for them to be that picky. I don't know if it was a blessing or a curse, but it seemed you'd always get a block that was Michael Jackson, Culture Club, Dio, U2, Men at Work and Ratt, just all hodgepodged together.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: May 26, 2015, 06:41:19 PM »
Early on English bands made videos. Most American bands we're late to the Video Revolution.  So MTV played a ton of British bands at first.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #689 on: May 26, 2015, 06:43:09 PM »
Anybody else think of this 80s film scene when reading this last page...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmfd9etbXGE

:lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: May 26, 2015, 06:45:47 PM »
Totally.  I'm all oiled up as well.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: May 26, 2015, 07:27:42 PM »
Have we done Journey yet king , cos that Neal Schlong is a really cool guitarist?   
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #692 on: May 26, 2015, 07:34:26 PM »
Have we done Journey yet king , cos that Neal Schlong is a really cool guitarist?   

LOL.

Totally.  I'm all oiled up as well.

:corn

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80s Classic Albums (Featuring: Queen)
« Reply #693 on: May 26, 2015, 07:39:52 PM »

While maybe not as classic as many of their 70s albums, The Game is still a classic Queen record.  It has their biggest hit ever - "Another Bites the Dust" - and a handful of other hits, not to mention some good deep cuts.  This album was a change of pace for Queen, too, as it was their first studio record to feature synthesizers.  This is one of those albums you can just turn on and enjoy the heck out of for 36 minutes (yes, it is that short). 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: May 26, 2015, 07:53:02 PM »

He'd cause a chain reaction here.

Kev, I love this album.  I had to buy ito twice on album. Sail Away Sweet Sister is my favorite on this album.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #695 on: May 26, 2015, 07:59:44 PM »
Dragon Attack I came to appreciate when I got older. Now I really love it.

This has one of my top 5 Queen songs: Save Me. Brian May is aamazing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #696 on: May 26, 2015, 10:24:40 PM »
This was the first Queen album I ever owned.   Still love every track to this very day.  It was the last in a huge string of classic albums.    Things got a lot more hit and miss after this. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #697 on: May 27, 2015, 07:40:42 AM »
This was the first album I owned, period.  The music store up the street ("music store," as in, store that sold musical instruments) had a little carousel full of cassette tapes on the counter, and they had this.  I saved up my allowance until I had enough to bring it home.  I loved pretty much every track.  Sadly, I don't even remember the last time I owned a copy.  :(

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: May 27, 2015, 07:44:41 AM »
Listening to it right now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #699 on: May 27, 2015, 07:51:58 AM »
This is a real nice album.