Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 185658 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Metallica Thread
« Reply #2835 on: May 25, 2023, 02:59:48 PM »
No I hear you. It's a gut wrenching transition, honestly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2836 on: May 25, 2023, 03:03:48 PM »
I recently finished 72, I love Chasing Light.  Good album, more energy than HW.

Here's my "best of" CD from the past few albums:

THAT WAS JUST YOUR LIFE

THAT WAS JUST YOUR LIFE
LUX AETERNA
HARDWIRED
MY APOCALYPSE
SPIT OUT THE BONE
SLEEPWALK MY LIFE AWAY
ALL NIGHTMARE LONG
MOTH INTO FLAME
CHASING LIGHT
THE JUDAS KISS
72 SEASONS
HELL AND BACK
Running time 77:54

Edit: Swapped Lux for Sleepwalk
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 06:56:21 PM by dparrott »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2837 on: May 25, 2023, 03:12:12 PM »
No Halo on Fire? heresy!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2838 on: May 25, 2023, 03:34:24 PM »
No Halo on Fire? heresy!

I haven't done the exercise but my copy will definitely have Halo On Fire.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2839 on: May 25, 2023, 05:28:10 PM »
Can I just say, I bought this before a recent trip to Dallas and just got to listening to it.  While I understand the criticisms here, and understand why people raised them, I agree with very few of them.  This is an outstanding record.  I liked at least something in EVERY SINGLE song, and I can't recall the last time that happened.   The guitar tones are sweet, James has struck the perfect balance between the early years and the recent years in terms of his singing, there are a few Kirk solos where I was like "huh, not bad!", and I've got nothing to complain about regarding Lars' playing.  This is a super album and I can definitely see myself revisiting it a lot (also something that doesn't, unfortunately, happen all that often).

Great to hear  :metal. I agree.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2840 on: May 25, 2023, 06:44:18 PM »
No Halo on Fire? heresy!

Good but kinda slow.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2841 on: May 25, 2023, 07:44:58 PM »
Can I just say, I bought this before a recent trip to Dallas and just got to listening to it.  While I understand the criticisms here, and understand why people raised them, I agree with very few of them.  This is an outstanding record.  I liked at least something in EVERY SINGLE song, and I can't recall the last time that happened.   The guitar tones are sweet, James has struck the perfect balance between the early years and the recent years in terms of his singing, there are a few Kirk solos where I was like "huh, not bad!", and I've got nothing to complain about regarding Lars' playing.  This is a super album and I can definitely see myself revisiting it a lot (also something that doesn't, unfortunately, happen all that often).

THIS ^
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2842 on: May 25, 2023, 07:53:23 PM »
I love this forum! Everyone is always so positive! I can think of quite a few recent albums/movies/shows I like everyone on the Internet keeps shitting on but the people on this forum! :tup
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 08:03:41 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2843 on: May 26, 2023, 07:02:07 AM »
You Must Burn is this past weeks turnaround, cracking song which has moved from the bottom couple rungs to way up there \m/

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2844 on: May 30, 2023, 01:20:39 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLheiDmUbNA

If Darkness Had a Son / Live in Paris - this song is really cool live!

One thing I've noticed from these official videos is the shots from behind James' perspective.  You can see that he has a teleprompter at his microphones.  Is this something new for him?  I don't recall seeing that before. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2845 on: May 30, 2023, 01:25:08 PM »

One thing I've noticed from these official videos is the shots from behind James' perspective.  You can see that he has a teleprompter at his microphones.  Is this something new for him?  I don't recall seeing that before.

I feel like they've been doing teleprompters for years now. A ton of bands do these days.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Grappler

« Reply #2846 on: May 30, 2023, 01:27:56 PM »

I feel like they've been doing teleprompters for years now. A ton of bands do these days.

No judgement from me, I was just curious because I hadn't seen a video that showed that perspective before. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2847 on: May 30, 2023, 01:50:24 PM »

Not Iron Maiden!!!!!  :) :) : ) :) :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2848 on: May 30, 2023, 02:13:11 PM »

No judgement from me, I was just curious because I hadn't seen a video that showed that perspective before.

Maybe no judgment from you, but I think it's fairly lame, but it is common especially for older artists.  It's also a bit more understandable if he's using it on songs they don't usually perform.

I noticed the singer of Breaking Benjamin using his phone and it certainly looked like he was using it for the lyrics as he was singing, but I checked and the song was not a common song they had performed and he didn't use it for any other song so it's more understandable IMO even though I still don't like it.

When I noticed the teleprompter when seeing Aerosmith and during Walk This Way, I was a bit let down by that.  Seriously, how many times has he sung that song???

Online Grappler

« Reply #2849 on: May 30, 2023, 02:26:54 PM »
I've softened my stance on teleprompters over the years.  It bothers me when it's very noticeable (see Ripper Owens in Iced Earth), but I don't mind if singers have it available to them, lest they jumble up the words.  I just hadn't seen Metallica use them before and James is usually really good without them.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2850 on: May 30, 2023, 02:33:16 PM »
I get also that he may not even be using it.  I would find it odd to remember the guitar parts but not the lyrics, but maybe it's more for just a re-assurance.  I understand it, but as a fan, I don't like seeing it. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2851 on: May 30, 2023, 02:35:19 PM »
Everyone is different, but as someone who has played and sang before, I would be much more likely to need lyrics than the music.  In fact, I did that sometimes, just putting a lyric sheet on my music stand, because my hands already knew how to play the song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2852 on: May 30, 2023, 02:36:36 PM »
There are some people here who haven't yet realised what it's like to age.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2853 on: May 30, 2023, 02:43:14 PM »
There are some people here who haven't yet realised what it's like to age.

No shit. Some mornings I wish I had a teleprompter to remember my wife's name. I nearly had to say, "Hey, you." the other morning to get her attention!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2854 on: May 30, 2023, 02:59:43 PM »

When I noticed the teleprompter when seeing Aerosmith and during Walk This Way, I was a bit let down by that.  Seriously, how many times has he sung that song???

I'm with you on that. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2855 on: May 30, 2023, 03:07:30 PM »
Anyone ever been to a show where the singer greeted the wrong town?

Bruce Dickinson did it when Iron Maiden played in Providence in 1991. He called us...Rochester! :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #2856 on: May 30, 2023, 03:39:28 PM »

Bruce Dickinson did it when Iron Maiden played in Providence in 1991. He called us...Rochester! :lol

I saw Lacuna Coil at Ozzfest who just kept referring to the crowd as ozzfest. Pretty sure she didn’t know where she was.

Not the same but I once saw the Israeli Prime Minister speak at my university in Tel Aviv who referred to us as a completely different university in Jerusalem.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Pappy

« Reply #2857 on: May 30, 2023, 03:52:40 PM »
Pretty sure I've heard that James' teleprompter isn't the full lyrics. More like a cheat sheet. It's just the first word or two of the line. Honestly with a band like Metallica it makes sense since they aren't touring with a set in stone setlist and are constantly changing songs in and out.

Online Adami

« Reply #2858 on: May 30, 2023, 03:56:36 PM »
Pretty sure I've heard that James' teleprompter isn't the full lyrics. More like a cheat sheet. It's just the first word or two of the line. Honestly with a band like Metallica it makes sense since they aren't touring with a set in stone setlist and are constantly changing songs in and out.

I totally get why James of all singers might need this. For the last few albums, verses in general just seem like random related words to fill syllables. I can’t keep them straight at all either.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2859 on: May 30, 2023, 04:05:10 PM »

I can't think of a specific example, but with all of the southern California venues, most of which aren't actually in Los Angeles, I feel like someone has said "Los Angeles" at the Long Beach Arena or one of the Orange County venues.  And, of course, the Forum isn't actually in Los Angeles, but I don't count that.

The original singer for YYNOT used to write the first few words of each verse on the set list.

And, of course, we have these guys, where the singer has his phone in his hand the whole time:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAHWAVUxkn0
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2860 on: May 30, 2023, 04:11:41 PM »

I saw Lacuna Coil at Ozzfest who just kept referring to the crowd as ozzfest. Pretty sure she didn’t know where she was.

At the end of the BTFW show, James Labrie thanked the Boston College Music College.. :lol

Online Grappler

« Reply #2861 on: May 30, 2023, 08:42:11 PM »

I did - Kiss on the Farewell Tour in 2000.   They were in Champaign, IL, which is 2 and a half hours south of Chicago.  All night long, Paul's saying "Hey, Champaign, blah blah blah."  Event shirts say "Kiss Rocked Champaign"

Peter Criss sits down to sing Beth for the encore and says "Hello Chicago!"  It's not like we're in a Chicago suburb, where that's an acceptable thing to say....we're 150 miles south. 

Paul comes back on stage and just says "Sorry about that, we're going to buy Peter a map tomorrow."   :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2862 on: May 31, 2023, 04:37:30 AM »

I can't think of a specific example, but with all of the southern California venues, most of which aren't actually in Los Angeles, I feel like someone has said "Los Angeles" at the Long Beach Arena or one of the Orange County venues.  And, of course, the Forum isn't actually in Los Angeles, but I don't count that.

I can relate, we don't have many music venues in the city of Milan proper, so there's a venue 25 minutes outside Milan where many bands play. Lot of bands can't bother with the distinction and generically say they're in Milan (both to the crowd and even on their social media pages) even though they're playing in a small town of the province that just happens to have a music venue.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2863 on: May 31, 2023, 07:30:06 AM »

I did - Kiss on the Farewell Tour in 2000.   They were in Champaign, IL, which is 2 and a half hours south of Chicago.  All night long, Paul's saying "Hey, Champaign, blah blah blah."  Event shirts say "Kiss Rocked Champaign"

Peter Criss sits down to sing Beth for the encore and says "Hello Chicago!"  It's not like we're in a Chicago suburb, where that's an acceptable thing to say....we're 150 miles south. 

Paul comes back on stage and just says "Sorry about that, we're going to buy Peter a map tomorrow."   :lol

I'm going to remember that story.  I'm a huge Kiss fan but I am totally soured on Peter Criss.  I feel like he phoned in the reunion and that's just a glimpse into that fact. But also goes to show that Paul put in the effort.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2864 on: May 31, 2023, 07:32:46 AM »

I too don't have an example, but we get a lot of "hello HARTFORD!" when it could be Hartford, but it could also be Wallingford, or New Haven, or Bridgeport.   Some opt for the blanket "Connecticut!" but that doesn't sound all that cool shouted from the stage. 

The original singer for YYNOT used to write the first few words of each verse on the set list.

And, of course, we have these guys, where the singer has his phone in his hand the whole time:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAHWAVUxkn0

That's me; I can remember the words, I can't always remember the order.  I can absolutely tell you the words to Yesterday or Smoke on the Water (the latter of which I've sung on stage a couple times) and I always blank on the first word of each verse.  Once I have that, good to go!   :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2865 on: May 31, 2023, 07:33:51 AM »
It's always funny to see singers turn themselves into knots when they play in Mansfield Ma. It's not Boston, Worcester, or Providence.

Bruce now just refers to it as Scream For Me Massachusetts!!!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2866 on: May 31, 2023, 08:39:40 AM »

Not the wrong town, but just a couple months ago Steel Panther said the wrong name of the venue  :lol and now they are on America's Got Talent

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2867 on: June 02, 2023, 09:25:37 AM »

I'm going to remember that story.  I'm a huge Kiss fan but I am totally soured on Peter Criss.  I feel like he phoned in the reunion and that's just a glimpse into that fact. But also goes to show that Paul put in the effort.   

Off topic but I went down the rabbit hole of watching live clips from the reunion and I am confident I could play the drums better than Peter did on that tour :lol

Offline Pappy

« Reply #2868 on: June 02, 2023, 09:29:59 AM »

Not the wrong town, but just a couple months ago Steel Panther said the wrong name of the venue  :lol and now they are on America's Got Talent
And they are probably already out of songs that are allowed on national tv lolol.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2869 on: June 02, 2023, 02:53:02 PM »

Off topic but I went down the rabbit hole of watching live clips from the reunion and I am confident I could play the drums better than Peter did on that tour :lol

I KNOW you can.